Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Options

Riviera said:

Curb_It said:

I don't care much about middle class people watching men hit a ball about with a lump of willow.

No, I'm here from the Argument Alert...

This
    Me too. I don’t like cricket but when @riviera is on one... well it’s rude not to watch.

Oh FGS not you as well!
    Will someone please tell me how I am on one? I got a load of abuse from two posters on here and for no reason at all. I was accused of making up stuff which I didn’t and have proved as such. I made an ironic comment that went over peoples heads, I explained the comment clearly and precisely and backed up everything I said with facts and then got more abuse today.
    It’s a good job I’m chilled in Barbados!
    What's the nightlife like out there then?
    I’m out here with my 84 year old Father! Having said that we are on the West Coast and there are plenty of bars along the beach. We’ve had a couple of late nights at good bars with live local music. Oistins on Friday was an experience! The whole of the island seems to go there on Friday nights. Really great, lots of live entertainment and wonderful food.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

PaddyP17 said:

lolwray said:

PaddyP17 said:

lolwray said:

Gawd give it a rest you lot this is cricket ,a game of fair play good manners and respect for your opponents ...you've all been drinking the cyber equivalent of 3 pints of Stella

You are all on report and the moderators will advise you on the appropriate punishment

Guys, lolwray is head of the Kent and Kent Regional league disciplinary panels. He's not to be messed with and now he's involved I'd heed his advice.

(Not meant to be a dig of course, Mr Wray!)
    Reckon it's 2 weeks for @pres 2 weeks for @riv I 'll let @canters off with a polite warning as he gives out a few likes and of course hes a surrey man ...ok with that@paddy? I 've co opted you for your civilised behaviour
    Would've been happy with that until the latest comment and I suggest docking 20 points for Riv as well!

Canters deserves a first and final at the very least, but that's just because I fancy picking on him.
    Rude! I stayed out of this argument even if somehow i managed to start it a week ago.
    You could always finish it by saying sorry for the unnecessary and unwarranted abuse you gave me.
    Get over yourself you idiot. You aren't getting an apology. I standby what I said. Your choice if you believe David Warner (that man known for his good character and honesty) over everyone else there. Doesn't mean the rest of us have to.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Now I've had a look at my recent posts again and do you know what? Yes I'm still owed apologies for abuse from two members. I think sadly I'm going to have to explain everything for the thickos on here.
    Someone posts about Moen Ali being racially abused in an Ashes Test. Someone says it was probably Warner. Then I say what the same David Warner who punched Root for being racist? For insulting Muslims in fact as he claimed. Now this is where I made a mistake. I should have added: How ironic would that be? Or: Oh the irony! Or even just a little:...as Alana Morrisette would say... But I didn't because irony is supposed to be subtle and should not need to be explained. I then get abuse for apparently making up things that were not reported at the time or subsequently. However as I have proved they were reported, at the time and later.
    I am sick and tired of arguing the toss with some of the people on the cricket threads. Kids who know nothing about cricket, think the Ashes started in 2005, think that players cannot adapt their game and that T20 is the saviour of the cricket. So don't expect me to enter into any more ridiculous arguments with you, and you know who you are. I will be going nowhere though and will continue to talk sense about cricket.

Ohhhhh look at me I know so much more than everyone else about cricket. So much so that I want Jason Roy to open in test matches....

Lool
  • Options
    Spoil sport.

You don't even read the thread, so not like it matters to you... and for the rest of us it's absolutely hilarious. :-)
  • Options

Don’t follow this thread so only seen the last three pages, but a bit of growing up needed here chaps.

@cantersaddick I know Rivs no doubt can push buttons at times, but say what you like, you were unnecessarily rude and personal to a comment not even aimed at you. And you seemed to have equally unnecessarily followed it up.

@The_President you to seem to have lost your filter with someone on here, but what you posted was not an acceptable way of posting / communicating with a fellow poster. Let’s not repeat please

@Riviera you may not have stepped noticeably out of line here but you know full well you’ve the art of winding others up. Just enjoy your holiday (I’ve heard Barbados mentioned as much as @i_b_b_o_r_g Grove Park shop) and avoid engaging in spats

Just draw a line chaps and move on. I really don’t want to have to read cricket threads!

Ffs. I stay out of the whole back and forth for a couple of days then as soon as I make one comment the big boss walks in and gives me a talking to!

Sorry boss.
  • Options

Don’t follow this thread so only seen the last three pages, but a bit of growing up needed here chaps.

@cantersaddick I know Rivs no doubt can push buttons at times, but say what you like, you were unnecessarily rude and personal to a comment not even aimed at you. And you seemed to have equally unnecessarily followed it up.

@The_President you to seem to have lost your filter with someone on here, but what you posted was not an acceptable way of posting / communicating with a fellow poster. Let’s not repeat please

@Riviera you may not have stepped noticeably out of line here but you know full well you’ve the art of winding others up. Just enjoy your holiday (I’ve heard Barbados mentioned as much as @i_b_b_o_r_g Grove Park shop) and avoid engaging in spats

Just draw a line chaps and move on. I really don’t want to have to read cricket threads!

All hail the Argument Alert!

Back to boring cricket now chaps
  • Options
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/the-nightwatchman/2016/sep/16/duncan-spencer-cricket-fast-bowler

@Riviera mentioned the Glamorgan game earlier, those of you not familiar with Duncan Spencer, this is well worth a read.

Also look at the top six Australia "a" had listed. Then add people like Stuart Law and Jamie Cox in, we can't even find a top 3 atm.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/the-nightwatchman/2016/sep/16/duncan-spencer-cricket-fast-bowler

@Riviera mentioned the Glamorgan game earlier, those of you not familiar with Duncan Spencer, this is well worth a read.

Also look at the top six Australia "a" had listed. Then add people like Stuart Law and Jamie Cox in, we can't even find a top 3 atm.

Darren Lehman didn't make his Test debut until he was 28 and went on to average 45 from 42 innings. His First Class average ended up at 58. We're picking batsmen who average barely over 30 - and that's not a Test average of 30 either!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mike Hussey was 30, had scored over 15,000 first class runs, when he debuted, and averaged over 50 in 79 tests.

He was 3 years younger than Cook is now when he made his debut!
  • Options

Cafc43v3r said:

Darren Lehman didn't make his Test debut until he was 28 and went on to average 45 from 42 innings. His First Class average ended up at 58. We're picking batsmen who average barely over 30 - and that's not a Test average of 30 either!
    Of course stats don’t prove everything, Hick and Ramprakash both averaged over 50 in 1st Class Cricket.
  • Options
    Worcestershire T20 Champions and relegated from County Championship DivI....
  • Options
    Test squad announced tomorrow, any whispers on surprising inclusions or omissions? @Addick Addict you’re usually itk
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Test squad announced tomorrow, any whispers on surprising inclusions or omissions? @Addick Addict you’re usually itk

I will have a go
    Jennings
    Burns
    Moeen
    Vince
    Root
    Pope
    Bairstow
    Buttler
    Stokes
    S. Curran
    Woakes
    Rashid
    Leach
    J.Overton
    Broad
    Anderson
  • Options
    Roy and Burns mentioned as highly possible call ups.
  • Options
    Burns
    Denly
    Ali
    Root
    Bairstow
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Curran
    Rashid
    Broad
    Anderson

Hildreth/Mitchell
    Woakes
    Leach
    Vince/Malan
    Stone

• Options
    Please no Jennings, please.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

No info but Burns will be called up.
  • Options
    Burns
    Vince
    Ali
    Root
    Bairstow
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Pope
    Curran
    Woakes
    Rashid
    Leach
    Anderson
    Broad
    Stone
    Virdi
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Porter?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Porter?

Anyone know how Sri Lankan pitches compare with Indian ones?

Reason for the question is that old gits like @Riviera will remember the unexpected success another Essex bowler of similar pace to Porter, JK Lever, had back in the day out in India.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    LenGlover said:

McBobbin said:

Porter?

Anyone know how Sri Lankan pitches compare with Indian ones?

Reason for the question is that old gits like @Riviera will remember the unexpected success another Essex bowler of similar pace to Porter, JK Lever, had back in the day out in India.
    With the help of some Vaseline! Allegadly...
    Apparently they turn before the toss!
  • Options
    I think Sri Lanka is something of a graveyard for swing bowlers, but it would be just like England to pick him there for a couple of games, and then decide he couldn't cut it, despite us not having won there some 2001.

Btw, if you are interested in England v Sri Lanka, this potted history is worth a read http://www.espncricinfo.com/slveng/content/story/245271.html
  • Options
    No issues with Roy and Burns opening

Mates
    Bit shit and they know it but will probably have a craic

Better than Jennings

Gutted about how rubbish Habeeb is now cos I thought he would be the nuts

I’d go for SL

Burns
    Roy
    Ali
    Root
    Stokes
    Butler
    Bairstow
    Rashid
    Curran
    Porter
    Anderson
  • Options
    edited September 2018
  • Options
    I’ve not heard anything here.

Fingers crossed. I think both Broad and Anderson will be going though.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

That’s a really interesting article about Duncan Spencer - thanks for posting @Cafc43v3r. Need a spare hour to read all of it though, an epic of Grapevine-like proportions.
  • Options

Riviera said:

I will have a go
    Jennings
    Burns
    Moeen
    Vince
    Root
    Pope
    Bairstow
    Buttler
    Stokes
    S. Curran
    Woakes
    Rashid
    Leach
    J.Overton
    Broad
    Anderson
    I forgot about Porter, I think he will go, maybe instead of Overton, this is not the players I would pick but what I think the selectors will go for, I would not pick Jennings, but Ed Smith, after the Oval test, seemed to indicate they would stay with him, I would also give Jimmy a rest.
  • Options

Riviera said:

I will have a go
    Jennings
    Burns
    Moeen
    Vince
    Root
    Pope
    Bairstow
    Buttler
    Stokes
    S. Curran
    Woakes
    Rashid
    Leach
    J.Overton
    Broad
    Anderson
    I forgot about Porter, I think he will go, maybe instead of Overton, this is not the players I would pick but what I think the selectors will go for, I would not pick Jennings, but Ed Smith, after the Oval test, seemed to indicate they would stay with him, I would also give Jimmy a rest.
    Porter has no pace . Wouldn’t get wickets out there