Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth v Charlton | Sat 21 Apr | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Portsmouth v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 21st April 2018 – 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Mark Heywood (Yorkshire)

Introduction

Tuesday night proved that nothing is confirmed in Football until the mathematical gods say it is… Three games, one goal, one point was the stark reality from our recent run of games. It meant that travelling to Shrewsbury, few were expecting any kind of result, which naturally made the 2-0 win all the more sweeter – With three games to go though, its vital that no more points get dropped – We travel to the South Coast this weekend for the third of four crunch matches, as we play guests to Portsmouth

The Opposition
Name: Portsmouth | Manager: Kenny Jackett
Ground: Fratton Park

Charlton travel to Portsmouth tomorrow looking for revenge… Back in December our opponents visited the Valley for what was a special day in the Addicks calendar, unfortunately Pompey didn’t read the script and an Addicks own goal would secure them the three points in what was a pretty uneventful game.

Whilst Portsmouth have become Play-Off contenders, their form has been mixed of late… Brett Pitman is the key to their promotion charge and if we can keep him quiet then victory will be more likely – An impressive win against Wigan on the TV at the beginning of the month being the last win for Portsmouth, we can only hope they’ve peaked just a bit too soon.

The Play-Off Race
As is the way with English Football, its SKY that determine when fixtures are played and with Peterborough losing to Blackburn last night, it gives everyone else a slight breather… Of course there is no guarantee that the Posh are out of the race, neither fans nor teams should be naïve to that fact.

From now until the end of the season there is a all Play-Off clash each week and tomorrow its once again the turn of Charlton and Portsmouth; Plymouth and Scunthorpe have slightly easier ties against Northampton and Walsall respectively, yet wins for either of the struggles will certainly give the rest a bit of hope.

Charlton Team News
Over recent weeks its felt as though the Addicks have given up, yet Tuesday nights performance was that of a team still fighting for every point… Jason Pearce deserved his goal against Shrewsbury and will now be facing his old side with some added confidence, as too will Josh Magennis (not a former Pompey player), yet as someone who hasn’t had much luck this season… It was good to see him getting on the scoresheet.

As to be expected; Lewis Page stepped into Left-Back so that Jay Dasilva could have a rest, whilst Anfernee Dijksteel surprised all by playing two games in four days (something Lee Bowyer had yet to do) – Ezri Konsa certainly showed his versatility with a good midfield performance and should keep his place tomorrow.

Amos
Dijksteel | Bauer | Pearce | Dasilva
Reeves | Konsa | Forster-Caskey | Fosu
Magennis | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Lennon | Page | Marshall | Kaikai | Zyro | Mavididi

Prediction
After Tuesdays result I’ve given up trying to predict a Charlton result… Victory tomorrow will hinge on what Charlton side turns up, the win at Shrewsbury will have given the players some much needed confidence after a difficult few games – A defeat for Portsmouth wont rule them out of the Play-Offs but will make life difficult… It’ll be a tight nervy one, that’s for sure!!

Comments

• Options
    How have Portsmouth coped with a decent sized and noisy away crowd in Fratton Park ? - we know Charlton have tended to roll over at the Valley this season when there’s been a decent away crowd and it’s probably no coincidence that the two teams vying for the automatic spot are located in godforesaken spots that nobody ever wants to go to so it could be in L1 having a good away support makes the difference on the day...right, I’m off to find some more straws...
  • Options
    Big game, Big performance needed! i wont be making any prediction (cough 3-1 away win) literally have no hope if we dont win this , a draw is not good enough imo

COYR show us what you are made off!
  • Options
    We have a horrific record against Kenny Jackett, have we ever beaten him?
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    1-0 win Charlton...Ajose is finally going to get the goal he deserves!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I would be flabbered to my gast if we show up to this one!

It would be totally un-Charlton like to win a game like this... 1-2 to the Addicks!

Off to Blackheath vs Old Elthamians to try and take my mind off of it.
  • Options
    Jackett to hurt the Addicks again... 1-0 defeat. It sounds like we might have to make some changes or run the risk of hamstring injuries putting players out of the final few games. Still hope Kak doesn't get a look in...
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Watford 1-2 Charlton (Feb '96) - Although he only started Management that month

Going up against him we've done the following

5 - Millwall Games (two draws)
    2 - Wolves games (two draws)
    1 - Portsmouth game
    0 - Rotherham games
  • Options
    edited April 2018

CAFCTrev said:

1 - Portsmouth game
    0 - Rotherham games
    So that looks like we havent beaten him in 22 years?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ive got the same feeling now that I did before the Shrewsbury game. Charlton win
  • Options
    A step too far. 3-0 Pompey
  • Options
    be watching some local cricket whilst sipping a cold pint in the sunshine to try and take my mind of this tomorrow. be getting updates from a couple of mates who are making the journey south. so hope to get one just before 5pm saying 'we've only gone and bloody done it!'

• Options
    A nervy 1-0 win with us being under the cosh for almost the whole second half.

I’ve got a really good feeling about tomorrow. I think we will win and I think we may even have an upset in either Plymouth or Scunny matches
  • Options
    can only beat what is in front of us 3 games 7 points required, but must win this one, its games like this that you either love or hate your club come 5pm last time i was this up for an away game was probably sheff utd in the cup, should be a good day out regardless, safe trip to the thousands making the trip - been a while since i could say that, COYR
  • Options
    Looking forward to going back to Fratton Park, the old dump
    As for the result, haven't a clue, a win would be lovely but still 2500 of us in the sunshine.
    2-2 draw.
  • Options
    2-0 to Pompey.
  • Options
    Feeling more optimistic after Tuesday night, so 2 -1 Charlton, Bauer and Big Mac for us and the Play off race goes on.
  • Options
    All depends on which Charlton turn up, if it's the Scunthorpe one, all over, if it's the Shrewsbury one than who knows? Pompey will be right up for it for sure. Have seen that at least 5 players have 'tight' hamstrings - is this a cunning plan or will Bow be forced to play Kaiki?
  • Options
    The game is a sell out, Pompey have sold all their tickets for their last two home games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A draw I think. 1-1
  • Options
    A very nervy 1-1
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Depends on whether Jeckyll Athletic or Hyde Athletic turn up.

I hope we show rather more desire than we did in the supposed 25th anniversary celebration match at The Valley when we capitulated to a lacklustre 1-0 defeat.

This one has become a genuine 6 pointer given the state of the table.
  • Options
    I think we should assume that Plymouth will beat Northampton and Scunthorpe will beat Walsall so it's victory or nothing given their games in hand.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Depends on whether Jeckyll Athletic or Hyde Athletic turn up.

I hope we show rather more desire than we did in the supposed 25th anniversary celebration match at The Valley when we capitulated to a lacklustre 1-0 defeat.

This one has become a genuine 6 pointer given the state of the table.

LB has put his stamp on it, to make them fight and hassle rather than sit back and play side to side football....even if we do lose, i imagine we will go down swinging!
  • Options
    And yet another must win comes along and I think Ajose will finally score, not 1 but 2 , 0-2 Charlton.
  • Options

CAFCTrev said:

1 - Portsmouth game
    0 - Rotherham games
    Glen Roeder was still in charge of Watford back then. He left about ten days later.
  • Options

CAFCTrev said:

1 - Portsmouth game
    0 - Rotherham games
    Glen Roeder was still in charge of Watford back then. He left about ten days later.
    Good spot, didnt notice that originally

So to the original question... Nope, we've never beaten him