Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth v Charlton | Sat 21 Apr | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    No I reckon the team that scores the most goals will win.
  • Options
    I think Bowyer may have learned more during the two defeats than he did during the three wins and a draw. We looked like a different side against Shrewsbury, and I think Portsmouth may also find we’re learning how to win ugly when we have to.

1-2
    Mavididi
    Forster-Caskey
  • Options
    2-1 Portsmouth. Nice weather.
  • Options
    I agree with SDaddick that Konsa will go to right back with da Silva on the left

Start 4-2-3-1?

OP preview didn’t have Kashi in squad. Gonna need a centre mid on the bench.
  • Options
    Weekend away up the coast, broken phone signal, not sure what my juices are trying to say (they been talking Russian since last night).
    Will be climbing a hill tonight to get the faintly delivered good news under crescent orange moon, or its Novichok all the way down.

3:2 win
  • Options

games like this one it will be pearce amos forster kaski and fosu who have to shine but pearce is a good leader so if he can confidently lead the back four including our left side (our weak side imo) the we can weather storm the will occur in the first 10 mins. Then Fosu has to be on his game and yes a draw isnt good enough. Bit of a cup final to this so I think we will lose but only because there are a lot of youngsters out there (bloody well hope I’m wrong) The team who scores first wins.

Not according to the OS. Looks at 5 of our best performances there & 4 of them we went behind first & won.
  • Options
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going and Charlton are completely absent.

• Options
    Unlike last season, I've not had a great record at away games this year. It's been two losses and a draw so let's hope this is the day I break my duck. We know we have the players to win this but have they recovered enough from Tuesday's exertions?
  • Options

I agree with SDaddick that Konsa will go to right back with da Silva on the left

Start 4-2-3-1?

Yeah I know 4-2-3-1 has become a dirty word around here but there were times in the second half on Tuesday night when Mav pulled wide and Marshall pushed up when we were playing what pretty close to a 4-2-3-1. When you have Mav on his day, his ability to pull out wide, come short and get the ball and run at them, or get in behind gives you a lot of tactical ability in game. We still need to get that movement and interchange up front, and move the ball quickly enough to make it matter.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Start 4-2-3-1?

Yeah I know 4-2-3-1 has become a dirty word around here but there were times in the second half on Tuesday night when Mav pulled wide and Marshall pushed up when we were playing what pretty close to a 4-2-3-1. When you have Mav on his day, his ability to pull out wide, come short and get the ball and run at them, or get in behind gives you a lot of tactical ability in game. We still need to get that movement and interchange up front, and move the ball quickly enough to make it matter.
    Agree, I've been screeming for this ever since he came back...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hoping for a win, be it winning ugly, winning nervy(sp), or putting on a footballing show!! 1-2 Addicks
  • Options
    Setting off in a hour and a half, nervous to say the least! COYR!!
  • Options
    Sorry, personal bugbear- only cup matches are "ties".

This will be close - 1-0 or 2-1 to us. Pearce to get one against his old club.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Can’t go to this one. However, 1-2 victory, Make sure you enjoy your day travelling addicks, plenty of beers please.
  • Options
    My ticket ordered weeks ago didn’t arrive. Ticket office on Thursday said they were being posted in “ next couple of days”. When did people get theirs?
  • Options

Unlike last season, I've not had a great record at away games this year. It's been two losses and a draw so let's hope this is the day I break my duck. We know we have the players to win this but have they recovered enough from Tuesday's exertions?

Don't worry I have us all covered today. I've took the missus with me to this one and making a weekend out of it, she hasn't seen Charlton lose yet, fantastic record.

At games:

Wigan 2-1, Rotherham 2-0, MK Dons 2-1, Doncaster 1-1, Northampton 4-0

On streams: 2-0 Shrewsbury, 1-1 Bristol

I'm going 3-2 Charlton today
  • Options
    0-1 JFC.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if it's going to be on Pompey's iFollow service?
  • Options
    Charlton win. Don’t play the overrated Da Silva, play the underrated Page.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

masicat said:

This emerging narrative is clueless. They're both good. Da Silva is probably the better footballer but Page has been really solid. Be happy with either. Maybe even both!
    Yeah DaSilva has been brilliant all season. Page has come in and done a very good job. But don't let that take away from the fact that when he got hurt DaSilva was most people's player of the year.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    SDAddick said:

Leuth said:

masicat said:

This emerging narrative is clueless. They're both good. Da Silva is probably the better footballer but Page has been really solid. Be happy with either. Maybe even both!
    Yeah DaSilva has been brilliant all season. Page has come in and done a very good job. But don't let that take away from the fact that when he got hurt DaSilva was most people's player of the year.
    Not mine. He's brilliant on the ball, possibly our best player, but I don't think he's brilliant defensively, particularly in a physical contest.
    Were we to reach Wembley I'd play Page. I'd like to see Dasilva given more of a chance on the left in midfield.
    It's an embarrassment of riches situation, the opposite of our RB situation.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

Leuth said:

masicat said:

Not mine. He's brilliant on the ball, possibly our best player, but I don't think he's brilliant defensively, particularly in a physical contest.
    Were we to reach Wembley I'd play Page. I'd like to see Dasilva given more of a chance on the left in midfield.
    It's an embarrassment if riches situation, the opposite of our RB situation.
    Yeah I meant to write yesterday we clearly differ on DaSilva because I think he's just head and shoulders above or we'll, metaphorically at least. And I think his 1-v-1 defending is really good. Positional sense less so but it's also really hard for the left back in our system because they're asked to cover so much ground. Something I think DaSilva does really well is that when we're attacking and we lose the ball, he looks to first step up and either put pressure on the ball or get into passing lanes. It's a really good habit that has halted a lot of counter attacks this season.

Either way, an embarrassment of riches as you say. It'd nice to have conversations about who is best in a position again.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

LenGlover said:

Depends on whether Jeckyll Athletic or Hyde Athletic turn up.

I hope we show rather more desire than we did in the supposed 25th anniversary celebration match at The Valley when we capitulated to a lacklustre 1-0 defeat.

This one has become a genuine 6 pointer given the state of the table.

LB has put his stamp on it, to make them fight and hassle rather than sit back and play side to side football....even if we do lose, i imagine we will go down swinging!
    Um, did you by chance see the Wimbledon or Scunthorpe matches?
    seth plum said:

We have an inexperienced manager going up against one who has done the rounds a few times.
    It ain't going to be easy in the slightest.

This. This will be a very difficult game. Frankly, I thought we were lucky on Tuesday night that Shrewsbury didn't turn up. They were woeful. Bowyer got his tactics wrong with the flat 4-4-2 in the first half, which was easy to see, but Shrewsbury were sloppy in possession and moved the ball so slowly that we weren't punished. Second half was definitely better, and look, we've been due a win where we don't play well we play alright and get a little lucky. I don't begrudge us that, and sometimes you need a goal off someone's arse or shoulder to start a run of form. But we are still four games removed from our last good all around display.

Hopefully Tuesday gives us a boost and gets the confidence back in our players. We had a strong bench again Tuesday night and hopefully everyone is fit again which gives Bowyer a lot of attacking options. The big question is, can we do well enough playing through defense and midfield to get them the ball. Jackett will know that we struggle against teams who are physical, sit deep, and then counter and can score from set pieces. It's what they did to us at home earlier in the season.

I think we'll be out thought and out played on the day, and I think it will end up a 2-0 to Pompey.
    If you change things and improve that is a positive. Not so much getting it wrong but adapting to what is in front of you. To be fair in the first half it was scrappy and they didn't create much, but we were much better in the second half and teh goal when it came was definitely coming.
  • Options
    I was talking to a Pompey fan this morning and he was fairly pessimistic. I think they're like us in that they never know if the team is going to turn up.
  • Options
    I think Pearce used to play for them.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

LenGlover said:

Depends on whether Jeckyll Athletic or Hyde Athletic turn up.

I hope we show rather more desire than we did in the supposed 25th anniversary celebration match at The Valley when we capitulated to a lacklustre 1-0 defeat.

This one has become a genuine 6 pointer given the state of the table.

LB has put his stamp on it, to make them fight and hassle rather than sit back and play side to side football....even if we do lose, i imagine we will go down swinging!
    Um, did you by chance see the Wimbledon or Scunthorpe matches?
    seth plum said:

We have an inexperienced manager going up against one who has done the rounds a few times.
    It ain't going to be easy in the slightest.

This. This will be a very difficult game. Frankly, I thought we were lucky on Tuesday night that Shrewsbury didn't turn up. They were woeful. Bowyer got his tactics wrong with the flat 4-4-2 in the first half, which was easy to see, but Shrewsbury were sloppy in possession and moved the ball so slowly that we weren't punished. Second half was definitely better, and look, we've been due a win where we don't play well we play alright and get a little lucky. I don't begrudge us that, and sometimes you need a goal off someone's arse or shoulder to start a run of form. But we are still four games removed from our last good all around display.

Hopefully Tuesday gives us a boost and gets the confidence back in our players. We had a strong bench again Tuesday night and hopefully everyone is fit again which gives Bowyer a lot of attacking options. The big question is, can we do well enough playing through defense and midfield to get them the ball. Jackett will know that we struggle against teams who are physical, sit deep, and then counter and can score from set pieces. It's what they did to us at home earlier in the season.

I think we'll be out thought and out played on the day, and I think it will end up a 2-0 to Pompey.
    If you change things and improve that is a positive. Not so much getting it wrong but adapting to what is in front of you. To be fair in the first half it was scrappy and they didn't create much, but we were much better in the second half and teh goal when it came was definitely coming.
    Agree with your assessment of the game. And changing things at halftime was good. I was trying to make the point that Bowyer's record of getting the players to go out and fight (which I think is overrated anyway) is far from 100%. Given the Scunny and Wimbledon games you cannot say "Lee Bowyer teams always come out up for it and with a fighting spirit."
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I think Pearce used to play for them.

In that case ...

Pompey 1 (Pearce o.g.) Lord Bowyer's Red & White Army 2 (Big Mag, Ajose)

One of these days I'll be right predicting a well-deserved goal for Nicky.
  • Options
    Currently sitting in my Riyadh apartment eating Arabic bread and humus after just purchasing my iFollow credit for the game. Can't remember the last time I felt so nervous and am not even there!!

Confident enough though to have just purchased my return flights to cover the play off final weekend!! That'll do it!!! :neutral:
  • Options

Currently sitting in my Riyadh apartment eating Arabic bread and humus after just purchasing my iFollow credit for the game. Can't remember the last time I felt so nervous and am not even there!!

Confident enough though to have just purchased my return flights to cover the play off final weekend!! That'll do it!!! :neutral:

Your afternoon sounds lovely.

Am I the the only one who finds all this positivity extremely concerning?