Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth v Charlton | Sat 21 Apr | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    We have an inexperienced manager going up against one who has done the rounds a few times.
    It ain't going to be easy in the slightest.
  • Options
    Going to be tough, tough game... Portsmouth are decent at home, and the crowd can really get the atmosphere going, it will be up to us to try and silence them as much as possible.

Hard to beat, frustrate, get in their faces, attack with purpose. Going to need another performance like Tuesday night. But if we do, I think we can win this one.

Also got a feeling that Walsall will get a result at Scunthorpe, meaning that a win for us will help us even more. Plymouth will beat a poor Northampton team.

By the end of play at 5pm I got a feeling it could well be:
    5. Charlton 68
    6. Plymouth 67
    7. Scunthorpe 65
    8. Portsmouth 63

Meaning that when Scunthorpe and Plymouth play their game in hand against one another, we really need Plymouth to pick up a result.

Same team as Tuesday night. But a nervy win, and squeaky bum time at the end.

Portsmouth 1-2 Charlton Athletic
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Depends on whether Jeckyll Athletic or Hyde Athletic turn up.

I hope we show rather more desire than we did in the supposed 25th anniversary celebration match at The Valley when we capitulated to a lacklustre 1-0 defeat.

This one has become a genuine 6 pointer given the state of the table.

LB has put his stamp on it, to make them fight and hassle rather than sit back and play side to side football....even if we do lose, i imagine we will go down swinging!
    Um, did you by chance see the Wimbledon or Scunthorpe matches?
    seth plum said:

We have an inexperienced manager going up against one who has done the rounds a few times.

This. This will be a very difficult game. Frankly, I thought we were lucky on Tuesday night that Shrewsbury didn't turn up. They were woeful. Bowyer got his tactics wrong with the flat 4-4-2 in the first half, which was easy to see, but Shrewsbury were sloppy in possession and moved the ball so slowly that we weren't punished. Second half was definitely better, and look, we've been due a win where we don't play well we play alright and get a little lucky. I don't begrudge us that, and sometimes you need a goal off someone's arse or shoulder to start a run of form. But we are still four games removed from our last good all around display.

Hopefully Tuesday gives us a boost and gets the confidence back in our players. We had a strong bench again Tuesday night and hopefully everyone is fit again which gives Bowyer a lot of attacking options. The big question is, can we do well enough playing through defense and midfield to get them the ball. Jackett will know that we struggle against teams who are physical, sit deep, and then counter and can score from set pieces. It's what they did to us at home earlier in the season.

I think we'll be out thought and out played on the day, and I think it will end up a 2-0 to Pompey.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I think the team will be
    ......... Amos
    Konsa Bauer Pearce DaSilva
    .......... F-Caskey
    .. .... Reeves.. Aribo
    ............. Fosu
    ........Magennis Zyro

Bench: Phillips, Sarr, Page, Kashi, Marshall, Mavididi, Ajose

I actually have no idea who the strikers will be. I could see it being any combination of the four. Magennis and Mav always link up well and when they got service on Tuesday they looked good. My thinking about Zyro coming in is that he looked very good up until the Wimbledon and Scunny games, where he looked knackered, and I'm not sure Mav can play 70-80 minutes twice in four days.
  • Options

CAFCTrev said:

We have a horrific record against Kenny Jackett, have we ever beaten him?

Watford 1-2 Charlton (Feb '96) - Although he only started Management that month

Going up against him we've done the following

5 - Millwall Games (two draws)
    2 - Wolves games (two draws)
    1 - Portsmouth game
    0 - Rotherham games
    Glen Roeder was still in charge of Watford back then. He left about ten days later.
    Good spot, didnt notice that originally

So to the original question... Nope, we've never beaten him
    Perfect!
  • Options
    I believe I'm right in saying Pompey are the club we have played more than any other in our history.
    Maybe someone can confirm?
    Think this has a draw written all over it......either way, it's gonna be close!
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

LenGlover said:

Depends on whether Jeckyll Athletic or Hyde Athletic turn up.

I hope we show rather more desire than we did in the supposed 25th anniversary celebration match at The Valley when we capitulated to a lacklustre 1-0 defeat.

This one has become a genuine 6 pointer given the state of the table.

LB has put his stamp on it, to make them fight and hassle rather than sit back and play side to side football....even if we do lose, i imagine we will go down swinging!
    Um, did you by chance see the Wimbledon or Scunthorpe matches?
    seth plum said:

This. This will be a very difficult game. Frankly, I thought we were lucky on Tuesday night that Shrewsbury didn't turn up. They were woeful. Bowyer got his tactics wrong with the flat 4-4-2 in the first half, which was easy to see, but Shrewsbury were sloppy in possession and moved the ball so slowly that we weren't punished. Second half was definitely better, and look, we've been due a win where we don't play well we play alright and get a little lucky. I don't begrudge us that, and sometimes you need a goal off someone's arse or shoulder to start a run of form. But we are still four games removed from our last good all around display.

Hopefully Tuesday gives us a boost and gets the confidence back in our players. We had a strong bench again Tuesday night and hopefully everyone is fit again which gives Bowyer a lot of attacking options. The big question is, can we do well enough playing through defense and midfield to get them the ball. Jackett will know that we struggle against teams who are physical, sit deep, and then counter and can score from set pieces. It's what they did to us at home earlier in the season.

I think we'll be out thought and out played on the day, and I think it will end up a 2-0 to Pompey.
    Heard how bad but they come out fighting against a team, whilst in poor form, going for an automatic spot. On there turf aswell.

I agree that Jackett is more likely to tactically out do him but if Bowyer can harness this momentum then we can grind out a result!
  • Options
    edited April 2018

I believe I'm right in saying Pompey are the club we have played more than any other in our history.
    Maybe someone can confirm?
    Think this has a draw written all over it......either way, it's gonna be close!

Yeh we've played Portsmouth 97-times, Middlesbrough we've played 94-times

We've 32 wins | they have 40-wins (League)
  • Options
    One word from me ... Nervous. Just for once Charlton, let’s put in a performance worthy of the support that’s heading down the A3.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018
    _MrDick said:

One word from me ... Nervous. Just for once Charlton, let’s put in a performance worthy of the support that’s heading down the A3.

I wont be anything but nervous until our season is over

Am nervous about our chances of getting into the Play-Offs, then I'll become nervous about winning them

Oh and am also nervous about finishing 7th because it means we've missed out by one place!!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    _MrDick said:

Likewise. I'm due to go to the women's footy in Portland this evening but kick off is 1930 local time, just under 12 hours prior to Saturday's match. I've already texted my friend that I may not be able to go because I'll be too nervous for the next morning.
  • Options

And yet another must win comes along and I think Ajose will finally score, not 1 but 2 , 0-2 Charlton.

Blimey, you could name your odds on that bet at Ladbrokes! No way will we keep a clean sheet, just have to hope we score more than them... simples!

• Options
    SDAddick said:

I think the team will be
    ......... Amos
    .......... F-Caskey
    .. .... Reeves.. Aribo
    ............. Fosu
    ........Magennis Zyro

I actually have no idea who the strikers will be. I could see it being any combination of the four. Magennis and Mav always link up well and when they got service on Tuesday they looked good. My thinking about Zyro coming in is that he looked very good up until the Wimbledon and Scunny games, where he looked knackered, and I'm not sure Mav can play 70-80 minutes twice in four days.

I thought young Joe was injured.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

I think the team will be
    ......... Amos
    .......... F-Caskey
    .. .... Reeves.. Aribo
    ............. Fosu
    ........Magennis Zyro

I thought young Joe was injured.
    The official site says he may miss out, Bowyer was quoted as saying if called upon Joe would put his body on the line or something like that. I'm taking the chance that it's a smokescreen and that he'll play, but there are almost certainly others with far more insight than I have.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

_MrDick said:

Likewise. I'm due to go to the women's footy in Portland this evening but kick off is 1930 local time, just under 12 hours prior to Saturday's match. I've already texted my friend that I may not be able to go because I'll be too nervous for the next morning.
    This gets more like a millwall forum every day.
  • Options
    Big battle will be Pitman v Pearce, if Pearce can win that I'd feel strongly about our chances. 3-1 Charlton, Bauer, Fosu and Jacko in the last minute in front of the away fans.
  • Options
    1-2 Charlton... Both our goals in the first half.
  • Options
    Predicting Charlton results recently has been impossible.
    Lose to Wimbledon and win away at Shrewsbury.
    Tomorrow goes a long way to deciding if we reach the playoffs or not.
    2.1 to us I reckon and the rollercoaster continues
  • Options
    Going more in hope than anticipation. Can't see us winning this one & just preparing myself for the inevitable defeat.

2-1 Pitman (2) Amos.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pompey v Charlton: What you need to know about the opposition from a Pompey view

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/934288334?-11197:833
  • Options
    Home win 50%
    Draw 30%
    Away win 20%

I would take a draw now if offered
  • Options
    Which Charlton will turn up? I so hope it is the good one. But we have seen them wilt so often in big games and this is one of them. 2-0 to Portsmouth but I think both teams will miss the play offs.
  • Options
    I have thought about this a lot since reading the other thread about play-offs and although normally an optimist I cannot see us being in the top 6 end of season. I would like to think we can play like we did Tuesday, but was that our brilliant play or Shrewsbury less than their standard? Remember they lost at Wembley to Lincoln. Normally I would be happy for a draw Saturday, but I do not think that will be enough. The three games under Bowyer we did not win, especially against Scunthorpe ruined any hope. I know KR cocked up the season, but I think Bowyer had to get something from those three games other than 1 point. It is a shame that under Bowyer we have to win, but he has done well. I am going for a 1-1 draw and hope they prove me wrong and we win
  • Options
    Decent away following usually means defeat. Hope I'm wrong but we all know we don't get a result when it's most needed.
  • Options
    0-1
    we score early and hang on.
  • Options
    games like this one it will be pearce amos forster kaski and fosu who have to shine but pearce is a good leader so if he can confidently lead the back four including our left side (our weak side imo) the we can weather storm the will occur in the first 10 mins. Then Fosu has to be on his game and yes a draw isnt good enough. Bit of a cup final to this so I think we will lose but only because there are a lot of youngsters out there (bloody well hope I’m wrong) The team who scores first wins.