Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A message to the fellow boycotters

Comments

• Options
    Meire has gone, Douche wants to go, there is a good manager in position, and a Charlton legend assisting. Despite Roland, the place is seemingly on the up.

And I can't deny my kids the opportunity of supporting their club in their childhood, especially at a moment where there is a glimmer of hope.

Feel like a scab, but there you go.

• Options

Question:
    If we were down to Seb and his brother plus a few tourists at home matches why would any one want to buy CAFC.

An interesting question.
  • Options

Question:
    If we were down to Seb and his brother plus a few tourists at home matches why would any one want to buy CAFC.

Realistically, it could get down to a core support of about 4k - if Duchatelet was true to form and failed to invest properly in a good enough squad to challenge for promotion/stay in the Championship. Not low enough to deter would-be owners but hopefully low enough to encourage Duchatelet to retire from football ownership.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Meire has gone, Douche wants to go, there is a good manager in position, and a Charlton legend assisting. Despite Roland, the place is seemingly on the up.

And I can't deny my kids the opportunity of supporting their club in their childhood, especially at a moment where there is a glimmer of hope.

Feel like a scab, but there you go.

And there's the rub. It's a little easier to boycott if you don't go to most of the games in any case, have no Charlton friends and family, live further away etc etc. (Obviously some boycotters do have all of the above etc etc).
  • Options
    As some have said, RD has publicly stated that he is selling, Daisy has done one and will hopefully relegate the massives in a year's time. The purchasers may be shilly shallying over whether they will ever get the support back.
    If they dont buy we will have another season of RD failing to invest and the club becoming less than a shadow of its former self. The boycott has got him to the position of recognising he must sell, maybe we should at this appropriate time show the potential buyers that there is a support to be cultivated and recovered.
    It is the last home match of the season, if RD doesn't sell or the buyers dont buy I will revert to my personal boycott and to my pit of despair but, just for once I am going to try and rekindle the passion at the Valley and sing my heart out in support of my (not RD's) team.
  • Options
    I went to Selhurst, had a great time, met loads of life long friends when I started going on my own.
    Id have gone Millwall or Arsenal if I didn't as I was only 10 and had to go where I was taken.

Got 4 ST and bought another 4 tickets for friends this week.

Each to their own but you must have some will power to miss this, a Potential Play off Semi, and a potential Play off final as all will put money in his pocket.

Good luck one and all though
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited April 2018
    Will be my 3rd game of the season Saturday after Rotherham and Scunthorpe, honestly didn't think I would be back this season, but Robinson leaving, who I absolutely hated being our manager from the moment he arrived for many reasons but mainly because he was part of the Belgium regime and publicly supported them when he didn't need to, was a factor. The fact that RD couldn't be bothered to appoint a manager has worked in our favour and I like Jackson obviously and Bowyer comes across very well which is a breath of fresh air after the nonsense from KR. Mainly though my 12 year old was desperate to come back to some games and I thought he'd been lost to Charlton. No doubt people will think it's about results but I don't think anything is that clear cut and I had no interest at the start of the season when everyone was comparing us to Brazil. There has been a shift, whether it lasts or it's enough to get RD to go we'll see. I hope we win Saturday, I hope we go up but I hope more that RD is gone next season.
  • Options
    Real boycotters boycott.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cfgs said:

Real boycotters boycott.

Until they dont
  • Options
    To be honest I don't think any single one of us has the right to tell anybody else what to do.

The bottom line is if you want to go then you should. I have handpicked my games too, mainly because of my finances but also with the thought that I don't want to hand Roland much of it. Yes that is contradictory but I have the right to go to a few games if I want. I can't stop supporting Charlton and it's not the same just watching Soccer Saturday looking out for the scores.

At the end of the day, we all want the best for Charlton and Roland won't be around for ever. It's not about results of course not but this season has at least been one of the best under Roland (yes League below but some better football and a few wins!) and it could yet get better. Roland doesn't deserve much praise if we somehow get promoted but my opinion is that the players need some support this Saturday and in the following games, including a huge play off semi at the Valley.

If you want to boycott then fine, but you are the ones missing out.

• Options
    DiscoCAFC said:
    There's a headline, a picture of JJ, a poll and some ads. Couldn't see an actual article.
  • Options

cfgs said:

Real boycotters boycott.

Until they dont
    Then they become unboycotters.
  • Options
    Again respect to those boycotting and hope its not to long before your back.
  • Options
    I have been boycotting but went to Pompey and going in Saturday. Such a shame JJ injured
  • Options
    Each to their own, I've not been boycotting so hard to say for sure what I would do for Saturday had I been, but I think I would go for two reasons, but mainly one, and thats Johnnie Jackson.

Players like him are few and far between, maybe a few in a lifetime. In the last 30+ years i'm trying to think of another player I hold in higher regard, not for his pure footballing ability, as good as he has been, we've certainly had better 'footballers' on the pitch. Maybe Chris Powell is up there if anyone, but theres no obvious player IMHO.

How many players would have stuck around through the royal shambles of the last few years, I suspect behind the scenes and in the dressing room things could/would have been much worse without him.

So I personally think he's worth turning up for if nothing else, but I do get where those who are boycotting are coming from.

Turning up or not, on Saturday, isn't in my view going to change the owners view if to sell or not, how much to sell for etc one little bit, however I suspect despite him not taking the pitch, the largest crowd for probably 3 years, a standing ovation in the 4th minute and x thousand singing his song will live in his memory for life, in my view we all owe him that, at least.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I have been boycotting but went to Pompey and going in Saturday. Such a shame JJ injured

Same as me. Sometimes, you just have to swallow your principles
  • Options
    Good debate this one, enjoyed reading the varied well articulated views
  • Options
    Possibly the worst website I've ever been on.
  • Options

As some have said, RD has publicly stated that he is selling, Daisy has done one and will hopefully relegate the massives in a year's time. The purchasers may be shilly shallying over whether they will ever get the support back.
    If they dont buy we will have another season of RD failing to invest and the club becoming less than a shadow of its former self. The boycott has got him to the position of recognising he must sell, maybe we should at this appropriate time show the potential buyers that there is a support to be cultivated and recovered.
    It is the last home match of the season, if RD doesn't sell or the buyers dont buy I will revert to my personal boycott and to my pit of despair but, just for once I am going to try and rekindle the passion at the Valley and sing my heart out in support of my (not RD's) team.

Please do not try and claim it is the boycotting fans that have bought him to the position that he wants to sell. You will only create divides.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

Please do not try and claim it is the boycotting fans that have bought him to the position that he wants to sell. You will only create divides.
    The boycotting fans and those withholding money will have done more to get him to the position to sell than those who continue to throw money at his failed experiment
    The Belgium 20 have spent money and have done more than anyone to get him to sell.

Those going to games have done more to make the club attractive to prospective purchasers.

Those going to games and have not spent money whilst there have proved to Roland that the club is not viable even with more supporters.

Boycotting fans have had no impact at all as Rolly would prefer that vinegar pissers piss off.

All of the above.

My personal opinion is that boycotting fans have had minimal impact.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Possibly the worst website I've ever been on.

Come on! Ain't that bad. CL has some upsides.
  • Options

so the 6k or so missing fans who have not gone to games have made no impact , i think you are wide of the mark there

I could believe a figure of 6 boycotters... 6,000 boycotters is delusional...6,000 not going because the team was shit and in L1 is more likely...and a few home games with the sort of support and atmosphere we had at Pompey last week and the ground would be full whatever league we are in and whoever the fuck owns the club
  • Options

See what I mean?