Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• edited July 2018
    Swisdom said:

Scoham said:
    Wow - 2 things emphasise to me where we are as a club.

Cov offered him more money - of all the clubs.

Lyle Taylor is our main signing.

Shows we are no more than a mid table league one club until new owners show up
    Or does it show we wouldn't pay over the odds for a man who has let his contract expire to start a bidding war for his services?

We had to pick who the priority was and get that over the line. Ogogo was wanted but not to the point we jeopardise Taylor and clearly Ogogo was looking for more than our first offer. I suspect there's a hell of a lot more to it as there are calls in and out happening all the time so the goalposts are moving all the time.

We do however need to start making progress soon because we are behind so many teams in signing players and getting them to gel. I don't care how many times players say "we've bonded really well and spirit is great" because there must be new additions to come and players to leave - so it's all pretty pointless at the moment

I disagree, I feel it shows we're nowhere near being able to compete with teams aspiring for a top six finish.

We're talking League One we shouldn't have to pick one or another player given the size of the squad and the fact both players were available for free and the wage bill will already have been radically reduced given all the players who have left since the end of the season.

I'm all for the signing of freebies if they are of the right calibre clearly of which both players are yet as usual we're going to end up with freebies that nobody wants like Crofts and Foley.

It feels like a worse situation than what we had under Slade and it's not going to get any better if players have to leave to bring new freebies and loans in.
  • Really liked him when he was at Derby a few years ago, looked a really skilful player. No idea how good he is now though.
  • It looks like Dawkins is another player with a history of injuries.
  • Really liked him when he was at Derby a few years ago, looked a really skilful player. No idea how good he is now though.

If he was still that player he wouldn't be trialling with us. We need to take a couple of chance wild cards in my view.
  • Richard J said:

Really liked him when he was at Derby a few years ago, looked a really skilful player. No idea how good he is now though.

If he was still that player he wouldn't be trialling with us. We need to take a couple of chance wild cards in my view.
    He was good for Derby who let’s be honest, you don’t play for them in the Championship if you haven’t got something about you, they’ve been a solid and competitive Championship team for a while now.

He may not be that level anymore but he is a body that we desperately need so definitely worth a look.
  • Sage said:

Must be either Karl Henry or David Vaughan.

Vaughan has signed for Notts County - 37!
  • Is it Aloud Diarra?
  • robroy said:

My guess on the players going are.

Big Josh
    Bauer
    Vetokele

That is a total guess though.

Surely Kashi counts as a departure? Of course RD will want to replace with someone on a lower salary.
  • “We are working on the midfielder situation and the owner is speaking to a club at the moment on a different position as well.
    To me it's slightly weird/worrying that Roland is STILL involved in this summer's transfers

Maybe we haven't done much transfer business, in or out, because Roland can only give it 1.5% of his time?
  • Sponsored links:

• Dawkins would be a good addition for any League One team.
  • What's Dawkins on trial for ? Hopefully not mediocrity. I'll get my coat.
  • Scoham said:

I think another wow is LB wanting to be at Charlton presumably as much as the Aussies want to buy us with both parties enduring the frustration of Roland when neither has to.

LB is working hard to try and improve the team in the face of Roland selling players to make a net profit on transfers, reducing the wage bill and number of players overall too.

I think the 'top 6 budget' days are over and we'll be more in line with your average League One club.
  • Ferryman said:

“We are working on the midfielder situation and the owner is speaking to a club at the moment on a different position as well.
    To me it's slightly weird/worrying that Roland is STILL involved in this summer's transfers
    Maybe we haven't done much transfer business, in or out, because Roland can only give it 1.5% of his time?

Have to agree with you on this re Roland still involved with transfers coming into to charlton….think everything is going tits up...

As for Bowyer he has to agree with what Roland is doing or he is out of a job and that would almost certainly be the end of his management job until he passed his class A manager course.
  • I don't think Dawson is gonna be a signing
  • Redhenry said:

I don't think Dawson is gonna be a signing

on whst basis....something you've heard or something you saw ??
  • Redhenry said:

Cant be something he saw, he hardly touched the ball in his 45 minutes today lol
  • Who was the other trialist
  • Who was the other trialist

One of Henry's fantasies to wind up Golfie.

• Sponsored links:

• Redhenry said:

Cant be something he saw, he hardly touched the ball in his 45 minutes today lol
    He said Dawson not dawkins
  • Unless wiki is wrong, then Simon Dawkins has only played 46 games since May 2015.

I assume he's been out injured for a fair bit of that?
  • Unless wiki is wrong, then Simon Dawkins has only played 46 games since May 2015.

probably best friends with Ben Reeves

probably best friends with Ben Reeves
    Harsh
  • Played wide left and barely touched the ball.
  • Played wide left and barely touched the ball.

He tried a shot - hit fairly well - but it went wide.
  • edited July 2018

Scoham said:

It's the Lyle Taylor being our best signing that concerns me most. You never know how much a player is asking for so that tough to read. But with the greatest respect to Taylor, we need a lot more than him, a lot more quality. I think he's a very strong signing, but he's never played above this level or even for a team chasing promotion at this level. It's going to be a big step up for him.

Meanwhile, we desperately need to add quality and depth in midfield, in attacking midfield/out wide, at right back, and in goal.

I think in terms of tactics and approach Bowyer right now looks to be a sort of middle table League One manager. I think he got us over the line with some gritty determined performances last season but he had a vastly superior squad at his disposal than what we have this year. And even with that he was out thought at times, particularly in the playoffs. When you have Reeves and JFC and Aribo and Kashi and Fosu as midfielders and your main fork of attack is to lump it to Josh to win flick on for Ajose. .. Yeah.

Unless there are big changes I think things are going to get much, much worse.
  • Disagree with SDA. At the moment our only weakness is back-up to Phillips and a RCB to cover Bauer. Always said Marshall should cover Solly and he was solid. Wide we have KAG, Fosu and MM with MAG a proven option for NI. Clarke & Reeves can do a job there.
    The problem is going to be replacing any leavers and CM where Bow has yet to play Djiksteel although Lapslie did well in a weak midfield.