Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• I like Phillips . Give him more games and he will improve . Has a good understanding with the defence , something a new keeper wouldn't have , and his distribution is good .

The only trouble is if he does well RD will sell him...
  • I like Phillips . Give him more games and he will improve . Has a good understanding with the defence , something a new keeper wouldn't have , and his distribution is good .

Exactly. People saying 'we need our own keeper', 'don't want another loan' etc etc, failing to remember that any young player who has a decent season won't be ours for much longer anyway.
  • edited July 2018

I'm happy for Phillips to start with the shirt.

He's played nearly 50 professional games in the Football League and is now 23. This isn't a complete rookie kid.

Fraid he's only had eight starts in the Football League... the rest have been in the Conference

But agreed he's not a rookie, there isnt the gap between League One and Conference like 10 years ago, and then Rob Elliot went from winning the Conference with Accrington to playing in the Championship with only a handful of League One / Two appearances between
  • FAVADDICK said:

clive said:
    That sounds very much like he see Phillips as number 1 and wants loan as back up.
    There's no way that George long would of come in to be back up so to me that say we're looking for a number 1
    My take is that Bowyer wants to bring in a keeper who's capable of being no1 ....... but I also believe Bowyer thinks Phillips too is capable of being first choice.

He wants the competition of 2 reliable keepers - keeping both of them on their toes, fighting for the 1st team shirt.
    They will know that. It should give both keepers an edge to their game.

Hardly

He's only got a year on his contract anyway, More likely is that if he does well, he'll just walk off
  • Phillips deserves the chance and that article definitely reads as though he will start as No.1 which is good.

He's been here a long time and knows the players, the club and the fans. Nothing will come as a shock to him so lets see how he goes. He has a year on his contract so he'll probably have a great season and we lose him for nothing at the end of it!

Interestingly his young brother signed for Spurs last season so I guess the goalkeeping gene is strong in the family
  • Sponsored links:

• Think we have to take a chance with Phillips. We don’t have the budget for an Amos or Rudd and sooner or later we must get a GK who is ours and is first choice. We’ve been in the same situation for the last few seasons under Duchatelet and it’s not good to have continued uncertainty over one of the most important positions in the team. Give Phillips the shirt. We’ll have all the answers we need by Christmas. Not ideal but a loan could come in January if Phillips disappoints. The squad is inadequate on a lot of levels and I don’t think GK is going to be the end of our woes this term.

But the problem is we still need a keeper. If Phillips gets hurt or suspended we're left with Maynard-Brewer who I don't think has any senior games, and from the little I've seen doesn't look ready for senior football. And if we have to throw him in at the deep end too soon we risk ruining the lad.
  • SDAddick said:

Think we have to take a chance with Phillips. We don’t have the budget for an Amos or Rudd and sooner or later we must get a GK who is ours and is first choice. We’ve been in the same situation for the last few seasons under Duchatelet and it’s not good to have continued uncertainty over one of the most important positions in the team. Give Phillips the shirt. We’ll have all the answers we need by Christmas. Not ideal but a loan could come in January if Phillips disappoints. The squad is inadequate on a lot of levels and I don’t think GK is going to be the end of our woes this term.

But the problem is we still need a keeper. If Phillips gets hurt or suspended we're left with Maynard-Brewer who I don't think has any senior games, and from the little I've seen doesn't look ready for senior football. And if we have to throw him in at the deep end too soon we risk ruining the lad.
    A cheap number two is what we’ll get. Someone on the way down or happy to come in a fight for his spot. I do agree though. We need a GK to come in.

• The place to look is Conference or below, not benches. A promising youngster who has games under his belt.
  • The place to look is Conference or below, not benches. A promising youngster who has games under his belt.

D’oh.

Really. We have a promising youngster (ish) it’s someone with experience we need not another fully untried player.

• Tom Ince is worth £12 million. Football is a daft as a box of frogs. Far too much money sloshing around.

Puts the £7 million pound Director loans repayable on CAFC returning (insert laugh) to the PL into perspective. It wouldn’t even buy us an average prem player.
  • Tom Ince is worth £12 million. Football is a daft as a box of frogs. Far too much money sloshing around.

Puts the £7 million pound Director loans repayable on CAFC returning (insert laugh) to the PL into perspective. It wouldn’t even buy us an average prem player.

He's had a few clubs already and never set the world on fire.
  • JordaJLD said:

Great! He was meant to be on trail for us tonight, typical Charlton!
    Tom Ince has had more clubs than Nick Faldo
  • Sponsored links:

• Imagine if the fees were similar when we were in the Prem.

Rommedahl would have been £15m

Murphy £20m or so

Parker would have been valued at c£40m

Lot more money in real terms in the Premier League now. A well run club can even think in terms of making a profit now.

Ridiculous sums involved. I wouldn’t object but it’s at the complete expense of the rest of football in this country.

• Imagine if the fees were similar when we were in the Prem.

Murphy £20m or so

Parker, at that age and being English would be far more than 40m, more like 60m
  • Kevin liable would demand a low three figure fee in this day and age

and he's in his 40's

Kevin Liable haha.

• sam3110 said:

Imagine if the fees were similar when we were in the Prem.

Murphy £20m or so

No way would we have got 60mil for him, I would say 35-40 is about right. Maybe 50 for bent though
  • sam3110 said:

Imagine if the fees were similar when we were in the Prem.

Murphy £20m or so

No way would we have got 60mil for him, I would say 35-40 is about right. Maybe 50 for bent though
    Marcus was never worth that much
  • I thought that Ward had gone?!
  • I thought that Ward had gone?!

Wouldn’t be surprised if we end up signing him now, alongside Dawkins and Ince.