Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• Philips was very shaky early on last night, distribution was terrible and he didn’t look comfortable.

Needs must and all that, but I’d much rather we signed a new no 1 before Sunderland
  • We need a new backup keeper regardless anyway.

If Phillips is going to be number one then Maynard-Brewer isn't ready to be backup yet.

And if we sign a new number 1 then Phillips will have the hump and want to leave.
  • Why is he always referred to by his first name but most other players by their surnames?
  • Looking forward to see who this season's scapegoat will be?
  • Looking forward to see who this season's scapegoat will be?

The only person getting stick from the fans this season should be Roland.
  • uie2 said:

FAVADDICK said:

Yeah good stopper but any goalkeeper should be saving them the goal they scored was very poor goalkeeping

That save from Murray's header was excellent! Not Dillon's fault that Gross was unmarked to tap in!
    How can you say it was a good save it wasn't a hard header and he pushed it back into the danger area
  • It wasn’t a great save but not a mistake by any means.

Phillips isn’t completely unproven and I don’t think people should panic if he starts number 1. But we need another keeper 100%
  • Sponsored links:

• Marriott off to Derby....does that mean a second bid for Josh is more or less likely?

Need a replacement but also have money to look for bigger/better targets maybe?
  • ross1 said:

As I said before, according to some fans, we have another Pope session coming on. Remember the things said about him and where he is now after a relatively short time. Please just support Phillips and hope any mistakes are few and get fewer, he needs the fans behind him to gain confidence. Don't forget, we are a League 1 team not Premier.

Especially the sarcastic cheering when he recovers from making a mistake
  • Marriott off to Derby....does that mean a second bid for Josh is more or less likely?

Need a replacement but also have money to look for bigger/better targets maybe?

Their Chairman said Evans wants a big target man as well as the strikers they have so I can see Peterborough going out and buying two forwards, one potentially being Magennis.
  • https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-bowyer-on-why-he-needs-to-be-careful-with-fielding-the-clubs-young-players/
    But caretaker manager Bowyer has already said the likes of Lapslie, Taylor Maloney and Albie Morgan are not seasoned enough for League One battle.

“When I believe they are ready then they will play,” he explained. “But I can’t put too many in at the same time.
  • Why is he always referred to by his first name but most other players by their surnames?

I never realised that.

Did you know there's another keeper called Dillon ...... Dillon Barnes, plays for Colchester and has been on loan at Welling United?

Phew! It's too hot outside.
  • Scoham said:

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-bowyer-on-why-he-needs-to-be-careful-with-fielding-the-clubs-young-players/

But caretaker manager Bowyer has already said the likes of Lapslie, Taylor Maloney and Albie Morgan are not seasoned enough for League One battle.

“When I believe they are ready then they will play,” he explained. “But I can’t put too many in at the same time.
    Perhaps he is trying to bring in some more experienced pros and he is sending a message to Roland thst he cannot play all the youngsters yet.
  • ross1 said:

As I said before, according to some fans, we have another Pope session coming on. Remember the things said about him and where he is now after a relatively short time. Please just support Phillips and hope any mistakes are few and get fewer, he needs the fans behind him to gain confidence. Don't forget, we are a League 1 team not Premier.

I'm sure all our fans will remain entirely objective and offer words of encouragement such as 'you're f***ing s***' if he makes a mistake.
  • clive said:

Bowyer on new signings.

On any new signings…

We know what we need but we’re not going to rush it because there is no point bringing in anybody that is not going to make us better. Pratley has made us better, Lyle Taylor has made us better, so I think it would be silly for me to bring in people that are not going to improve us. To be fair there ain’t many out there. We’re just trying to hand-pick these ones with the budget we have. We don’t have a massive budget but we’re working at it and hopefully we’ll be bringing in a few more.”
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5b58466a721b6/bowyer-on-transfer-budget-ince-dawkins-ward-and-pratley

Surely Dawkins and Ince would make us better? And possibly Ward would too, given that we have very little defensive cover.

I personally think if we brought those 3 in, got a backup keeper and no one else left, then given the state of limbo we're in and we don't have much of a budget then that would've been a fairly decent transfer window.
    Agreed. And would hope to get a couple of decent loans in too. Still not sure about RB cover.
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:

Would that be ENGLAND'S Nick Pope, ross ?
  • Scoham said:

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-bowyer-on-why-he-needs-to-be-careful-with-fielding-the-clubs-young-players/

That is total bullsh*t from Bowyer! A player who was given a debut at 17 by Curbs!! Yes he should know but if Curbs had said the same thing when Bowyer wouldn't have played for Leeds in the champions league! If your good enough your old enough!
  • uie2 said:

Scoham said:

That is total bullsh*t from Bowyer! A player who was given a debut at 17 by Curbs!! Yes he should know but if Curbs had said the same thing when Bowyer wouldn't have played for Leeds in the champions league! If your good enough your old enough!

It's a massive leap to assume any of these kids are going to be as good as Bowyer. Even the likes of Parker and Gomez benefited from being eased in slowly instead of being relied on week in week out.
  • So mark Marshall has just put a video on Instagram of joe Aribo doing pull ups . Only thing is, Aribo is wearing an Ipswich shirt
  • every player makes mistakes, it is a pity that strikers and goalies mistakes are more visible and remembered.

Give Dillon a chance

He's getting chances but his kicking was awful last night.
  • cafc4life said:

So mark Marshall has just put a video on Instagram of joe Aribo doing pull ups . Only thing is, Aribo is wearing an Ipswich shirt

Got a link? Cant see it on there
  • edited July 2018
    uie2 said:

Scoham said:

~~~~~~~~~~
    Rooney was ready at 17, but he was a beast by then. I thought Lapslie looked an exciting prospect, whereas last season he looked a bit lost. But Bowyer will know more than we do if he’s ready for League One, won’t he?
  • cafc4life said:

So mark Marshall has just put a video on Instagram of joe Aribo doing pull ups . Only thing is, Aribo is wearing an Ipswich shirt

Got a link? Cant see it on there
    Not their current kit or training gear.