Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• cafc4life said:

Sorry it's on Joe Aribos Instagram story not marshalls

Link?
  • edited July 2018

seth plum said:

Phillips is the number one keeper. Give the lad a chance for god's sake. We need an experienced keeper in as cover for injury and so on, but what is the point of a youth system if players don't graduate?
    Rob Elliott and Darren Randolph were home grown and have not done too badly.

Some people as I've said before seem desperate for Phillips to fail - getting a bit boring all the OTT criticism.
    So I didn't get too deep into the match thread from the other night, so apologies if I'm missing something, but I don't think there are that many people who want him to fail. Speaking for myself, it's more a question of he's a young goalkeeper who has some issues in his game that he needs to iron by playing. And where those two meet is the question of does him working out those kinks make us a worse team this season? And I genuinely don't know. I don't think he has the upside of someone like a Randolph or an Elliot, let alone a Gomez or Konsa. But that's not to say he isn't good enough to be our keeper for a while.

For me, arguably the bigger issue is the idea of getting in someone to be a reserve to him. I don't think it's a great policy of saying to any one player, "you're first choice not matter what." And the other thing is, I don't know how you get any halfway decent keeper in who is both worth the wages and who will be happy to be told they won't be first choice. People have talked about bringing in a backup to Dillon, but I don't know what that looks like. You either get a David Martin who is probably better than Phillips at this stage in their careers, someone like a George Long whose parent club will want him to be first choice, or maybe a free agent who is probably going to cost a bit more and then they're just sitting on the bench.

The answer was to send Dillon out on loan last year to play regularly, for him to develop and for us to get a better sense of how good he is right now. We didn't do that because we couldn't get someone else in. So now we need to basically find a new keeper for the future or have AMB as our backup.
  • SDAddick said:

seth plum said:

Phillips is the number one keeper. Give the lad a chance for god's sake. We need an experienced keeper in as cover for injury and so on, but what is the point of a youth system if players don't graduate?
    Rob Elliott and Darren Randolph were home grown and have not done too badly.

Some people as I've said before seem desperate for Phillips to fail - getting a bit boring all the OTT criticism.
    For me, arguably the bigger issue is the idea of getting in someone to be a reserve to him. I don't think it's a great policy of saying to any one player, "you're first choice not matter what." And the other thing is, I don't know how you get any halfway decent keeper in who is both worth the wages and who will be happy to be told they won't be first choice. People have talked about bringing in a backup to Dillon, but I don't know what that looks like. You either get a David Martin who is probably better than Phillips at this stage in their careers, someone like a George Long whose parent club will want him to be first choice, or maybe a free agent who is probably going to cost a bit more and then they're just sitting on the bench.
    Agreed. Unless you are Chelsea/Man City who can sign an experienced keeper as 3rd choice, knowing that they will never play, but will earn a final big paycheck, any decent keeper we sign will want a realistic chance of playing.

It's not as if we have an established first choice keeper (like Bolder or Kiely were at their prime), I'd be worried if any keeper was happy to be an automatic second choice keeper to an inexperienced 23 year old, unless they came in as GK/GK coach and we don't need one of those.
  • SDAddick said:

JamesSeed said:

Ward was very relaxed on the ball.

Yeah I was impressed and thought he looked quite tidy. There were a couple balls in the air I thought he should have done better with, including the goal. But I'm coming around on him. I'm starting to think he might be an okay bit of business.

That said, I believe he has had injury trouble in the past. That would put him in with the likes of Fosu, Igor, Reeves, Solly, Page, Pearce, Ince (if we sign him and I really hope we do he's class) in our squad who either have a history of having problems with injuries, or have had serious problems with injuries over the last couple years. That's...a lot.
    I really wasn't expecting to be excited by this season, but already I am. I like the signings, I liked the way Lapslie and others have come on, and I loved Sarr's goal.
    Up the haddock eaters!
  • Yes ,
    I agree , love seeing the young talent make first team
    Enjoy the new season
    The only way is up
  • I think people get overly critical when it comes to goalkeepers. Everything they do is magnified by dint of their singular position. Very hard for a gk to get experience and enough game time without making the odd and what is sometimes costly error. It’s in full view and they have nowhere to hide.

Dillon needs game time and if he’s allowed to get enough games under his belt without being broken by fans criticism I think he’ll flourish.

It’s 50/50 in my view whether he gets cut the slack he undoubtedly needs.
  • Yes ,
    I agree , love seeing the young talent make first team
    Enjoy the new season
    The only way is up

Nah there is another way open to clubs in this league and most others.
  • 30 new posts. 0 rumours
  • Valley11 said:

30 new posts. 0 rumours

Yawn. We're in the shit, what did you expect?
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:

30 new posts. 0 rumours

From a thread titled ‘Summer 2018 transfer rumours’?

Umm....
  • Valley11 said:

30 new posts. 0 rumours

Well we have 3 players on trial. This is likely all we sign. Hopefully we get all three. LB also wants a GK on loan.

Blackburn are still keen on Bauer but want him dirt cheap. RD probably be tempted to take 700k on deadline day. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen.
  • Greg Halford on a free anyone ? Can play in a number of positions. Remember we had him on loan had a long throw.
  • Valley11 said:

Valley11 said:

30 new posts. 0 rumours

From a thread titled ‘Summer 2018 transfer rumours’?

Umm....
    Blame the owner, not posters on the thread?
  • edited July 2018
    Valley11 said:

30 new posts. 0 rumours

Calm before the storm. It's all gonna happen next week between the Norwich & Sunderland games:

Takeover done. Bowyer confirmed. Ward released. Beckles in. Dawkins released. New winger in. Magennis Sold. Eaves in. Loan keeper in. Ince in.

Up the addicks!

• Valley11 said:

30 new posts. 0 rumours

Calm before the storm. It's all gonna happen next week between the Norwich & Sunderland games:

Takeover done. Bowyer confirmed. Ward released. Beckles in. Dawkins released. New winger in. Magennis Sold. Eaves in. Loan keeper in. Ince in.

Up the addicks!

If only
  • Moo said:

Greg Halford on a free anyone ? Can play in a number of positions. Remember we had him on loan had a long throw.

He was a wanker
  • Sponsored links:

• clive said:
    "Josh is an international and will want to play at the highest level he can"....does he know what league Peterborough are in?
    ....and Peterborough is probably it.
  • “People are interested in some of our lads and we have to have things lined up behind the scenes.

“If someone comes in last minute then we have got to have someone lined up to replace them.”

Looks like Ward in for Bauer.
  • Moo said:

“People are interested in some of our lads and we have to have things lined up behind the scenes.

“If someone comes in last minute then we have got to have someone lined up to replace them.”

Looks like Ward in for Bauer.

I fear you may be right. Very depressing if that happens, as we’re already significantly weaker at centre back following the departures of Konsa and Lennon. The Bauer/Pearce partnership is also the strongest part of the side.

I haven’t seen Ward in a competitive game but his best years are behind him and he was a player that Blackburn were happy to farm out to MK Dons for the second half of the season on loan. Three central defenders is patently inadequate and the consequences don’t bear thinking about if Pearce picks up an injury.
  • As many of you know I work in Coventry and rumour here yesterday was that Cov City want Ajose, not sure if loan or purchase. I’m trying to find out if any truth in it or just made up crap.

Swap deal for Jodi jones would be nice.
  • Moo said:

Greg Halford on a free anyone ? Can play in a number of positions. Remember we had him on loan had a long throw.

He was a wanker
    Not to mention bloody awful! He is only going to have got worse too!
  • clive said:
    "Josh is an international and will want to play at the highest level he can"....does he know what league Peterborough are in?
    Or Josh wanting to jump as he doesn't want to be playing in League 2 next season..