Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• Given that two clubs were in for him, do you really think that the fee was as low as £100,000 or £200,00 in the current market ? Maybe you are right but I doubt it.

It may be Bolton’s first player purchase for 3 years, but they did get a rather absurd £5-6 million for Gary Madine from Cardiff. Equally important, Parky has pursued the player over a protracted period. Peterborough also appear to have put some sort of offer in, which (whilst possibly derisory), at least demonstrates that there is more than one potential purchaser (rather like the imaginary British one for CAFC).

I think it is also right to say that clubs tend to pay inflated fees in January, whether to boost their promotion chances or to try and get their arses out of the bacon slicer.
  • Not bothered by Magennis going but he does need replacing. More money for Roland.
  • Blucher said:

Josh is a very hard working professional but he is, in my view, a limited player and not someone who is going to move us up a level. In the last year of his contract, it is no surprise that the club have been desperately looking to flog him all summer. By January, we’d be lucky to get £200,000 for him, especially as - absent a takeover - we will most certainly be out of the touch with the leaders at that stage.

I expect the fee to be defrayed against Duchatelet’s huge,ongoing running costs and losses, but if it increases the chances of Bauer not been flogged on the cheap, it will be worthwhile.

As someone remarked earlier on CL, we have fallen a long way - although I fear we have some way to go if this deplorable owner retains control.

£200k in jan? How much do you think the offer is now? I’d be surprised if it’s more than £100k
    I think you’ll find it’s more than that.

• Blucher said:

Given that two clubs were in for him, do you really think that the fee was as low as £100,000 or £200,00 in the current market ? Maybe you are right but I doubt it.

It may be Bolton’s first player purchase for 3 years, but they did get a rather absurd £5-6 million for Gary Madine from Cardiff. Equally important, Parky has pursued the player over a protracted period. Peterborough also appear to have put some sort of offer in, which (whilst possibly derisory), at least demonstrates that there is more than one potential purchaser (rather like the imaginary British one for CAFC).

I think it is also right to say that clubs tend to pay inflated fees in January, whether to boost their promotion chances or to try and get their arses out of the bacon slicer.

All of that would make sense if we weren’t run by a monkey and a potato
  • Sage said:

Very disappointed if we lose Magennis as I doubt any replacement is going to be lined up.

The club have quite clearly been looking to sell him all summer, they wouldn't have put out so many articles about him maybe leaving if they weren't looking to offload.

He is a decent forward who would get double figures. He isn't a natural goalscorer, but he puts a shift in and always gave 100%.

It would be more than foolish to sell him when the only fit strikers we have at the club otherwise are Taylor, Ajose, and Grant. What happens if one of them gets injured?

Agree with this, always liked Josh and will be gutted to lose him

He will score goals for them
  • How come this is going on on a Friday?
  • This JM sale is the beginning of the “two weeks of pain” @JamesSeed said GM had said? Bauer next?
  • edited July 2018
    I think this may be a mistake on 2 levels-:
    1. If Josh goes how certain can we be with RD in charge we will get a 'better' replacement, or indeed any replacement.
    2. He has scored 20 goals on 2 seasons, not a great return, but the service was missing most of the time, so in that regard it wasn't bad either!

The season starts a week tomorrow and the rumour I mentioned earlier today is that up here in Coventry it does seem to have some legs and Ajose is on their radar, although that is still just a rumour as it stands. Lose both Mag and Ajose and replace with just Taylor!!! That is insanity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Delighted by this.
  • Blucher said:

Josh is a very hard working professional but he is, in my view, a limited player and not someone who is going to move us up a level. In the last year of his contract, it is no surprise that the club have been desperately looking to flog him all summer. By January, we’d be lucky to get £200,000 for him, especially as - absent a takeover - we will most certainly be out of the touch with the leaders at that stage.

I expect the fee to be defrayed against Duchatelet’s huge,ongoing running costs and losses, but if it increases the chances of Bauer not been flogged on the cheap, it will be worthwhile.

As someone remarked earlier on CL, we have fallen a long way - although I fear we have some way to go if this deplorable owner retains control.

£200k in jan? How much do you think the offer is now? I’d be surprised if it’s more than £100k
    Local press reported in January that the rejected Bolton offer for Magennis was £500,000.

• How much we got for him is irrelevant - it is how much the Cnut will pocket and how much will go to Bowyer!

Wages only is my guess

• I think this may be a mistake on 2 levels-:
    1. If Josh goes how certain can we be with RD in charge we will get a 'better' replacement, or indeed any replacement.
    2. He has scored 20 goals on 2 seasons, not a great return, but the service was missing most of the time, so in that regard it wasn't bad either!

The season starts a week tomorrow and the rumour I mentioned earlier today is that up here in Coventry it does seem to have some legs and Ajose is on their radar, although that is still just a rumour as it stands. Lose both Mag and Ajose and replace with just Taylor!!! That is insanity.

Except this, as usual with Roland, isn't a footballing decision.
  • Why is he always referred to by his first name but most other players by their surnames?

Is he Brazilian ?
  • J BLOCK said:

A fee has been agreed with Bolton for Josh Magennis according to Richard Cawley now as well

Not over bothered by Josh leaving BUT that rather depends on whether Bowyer is able to bring in anyone to replace him

It will be handy not losing a player when N Ireland play and we can't postpone matches
    Taylor is his replacement. I would love this sale means we keep Igor.
    Not the same type of player though, Taylor isn't really a target man
    Granted, but he is Magennis’ replacement.
  • My guess would be 300,000 now.
  • couple more to go yet ------still wining
  • Farewell Northern Irish Ronaldo
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2018
    It'll be £350k for Josh as it'll be cash. And there was a rumour (suppose now fact) that Roland would knock down price of player if it was cash up front
  • I predicted
    Josh (going)
    Bauer (will go)
    Vet (will now stay due to injury)

It is what it is.

It sucks to be a Charlton fan. But I’m emotionless to it all now. I don’t actually give two f’s

Just still go to see my dad and mates
  • edited July 2018
    What is Roland going to do if - as seems distinctly possible - the Aussie deal does not materialise ?

I do not envisage a big queue of potential investors/purchasers lining up to bail him out (especially as they'll be able to smell his desperation).
  • Richard J said:

I’d back Karlan Grant to score more than Magennis over a whole season.

Could he be as effective defensively though?

Like Bartlett and Leaburn or Horsfield and Ronnie Moore it was like having an extra cenre back at set pieces.
    Prately and Ince?
  • JamesSeed said:

Richard J said:

Like Bartlett and Leaburn or Horsfield and Ronnie Moore it was like having an extra cenre back at set pieces.
    Prately and Ince?
    Agreed

I was just trying to make the point how vital Josh was to last year's team
  • Richard J said:

JamesSeed said:

Richard J said:

Prately and Ince?
    Agreed

My heart sank every time I heard the announcer say 'Big Josh Magennis!'. Likeable, hardworking, great at defending set pieces. But that's more likely to stop you getting relegated rather than get you promoted.
    Maybe if we had played a different system? But even when Bowyer took over with his 442 it didn't really happen for him. Taylor looks more ruthless in front of goal, and a better mover too.
  • JamesSeed said:

Richard J said:

JamesSeed said:

Richard J said:

Prately and Ince?
    Agreed

My heart sank every time I heard the announcer say 'Big Josh Magennis!'. Likeable, hardworking, great at defending set pieces. But that's more likely to stop you getting relegated rather than get you promoted.
    Maybe if we had played a different system? But even when Bowyer took over with his 442 it didn't really happen for him. Taylor looks more ruthless in front of goal, and a better mover too.
    Ooh that will please Roland as he has some nifty moves himself.