Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• From ReluctantNicko on twitter. Bolton. Close to a deal for Josh McGennis. Charlton striker. Northern Ireland cap. One time keeper.

Makes the playing higher quote from Lee understandable.
  • A fee has been agreed with Bolton for Josh Magennis according to Richard Cawley now as well
  • Will allow LB to bring in Dawkins, Ince and Ward if he wants to. Not sure it gives him room to manoeuvre a replacement for Josh. Can see Ward not signing unless Paddy departs but where we replace Magennis with similar quality with no budget is a conundrum. Premier League loan methinks.
  • Very disappointed if that's the case. Rather we offload Ajose
  • edited July 2018
    Prefer Ince to Ward. He can also cover Pratley and I remember in the Champ he ripped us a new one further forward.
  • A fee has been agreed with Bolton for Josh Magennis according to Richard Cawley now as well

Not over bothered by Josh leaving BUT that rather depends on whether Bowyer is able to bring in anyone to replace him

It will be handy not losing a player when N Ireland play and we can't postpone matches
    Taylor is his replacement. I would love this sale means we keep Igor.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Disappointed if Magennis is going. Decent hard working pro and we won't replace him.

His lack of goals may have cost us promotion last season. Keeping him as our main striker was a typical demonstration of our lack of ambition under the current owner I think.
    The best he has got in a season is 10, he has scored that in his last two seasons for us and once before for Kilmarnock, not sure what more you can expect from him.
  • Richard J said:

Sage said:

Not rumours but I’ve been looking at players who are available on a free transfer that could make us a better team.

Two players really stood out, Stephen Quinn and Mustapha Carayol. Someone who can unlock the door in Quinn and Carayol is a quick winger, an option if we weren’t to sign Dawkins I think.

If Magennis or Ajose were to leave, I’d still love us to bring in Darren Bent. Even at his age, he can surely score goals in this division.

Think Quinn is retiring.
    If that is true, it is surprising as he isn't old and surely could still cut it in League One. I remember he was high on Powell's list the first year back in the Championship.
  • J BLOCK said:

A fee has been agreed with Bolton for Josh Magennis according to Richard Cawley now as well

Not over bothered by Josh leaving BUT that rather depends on whether Bowyer is able to bring in anyone to replace him

It will be handy not losing a player when N Ireland play and we can't postpone matches
    Taylor is his replacement. I would love this sale means we keep Igor.
    Not the same type of player though, Taylor isn't really a target man
  • Very disappointed if we lose Magennis as I doubt any replacement is going to be lined up.

The club have quite clearly been looking to sell him all summer, they wouldn't have put out so many articles about him maybe leaving if they weren't looking to offload.

He is a decent forward who would get double figures. He isn't a natural goalscorer, but he puts a shift in and always gave 100%.

It would be more than foolish to sell him when the only fit strikers we have at the club otherwise are Taylor, Ajose, and Grant. What happens if one of them gets injured?
  • At least a rival in Peterborough won’t be taking him.
  • Magennis off? I will let the Water Lily in Strood know.
  • Sage said:

Richard J said:

Sage said:

Not rumours but I’ve been looking at players who are available on a free transfer that could make us a better team.

Two players really stood out, Stephen Quinn and Mustapha Carayol. Someone who can unlock the door in Quinn and Carayol is a quick winger, an option if we weren’t to sign Dawkins I think.

If Magennis or Ajose were to leave, I’d still love us to bring in Darren Bent. Even at his age, he can surely score goals in this division.

Think Quinn is retiring.
    If that is true, it is surprising as he isn't old and surely could still cut it in League One. I remember he was high on Powell's list the first year back in the Championship.
    He has had massive injury problems since being at Reading.
  • Sponsored links:

• Richard J said:

Sage said:

Richard J said:

Sage said:

Think Quinn is retiring.
    Fair enough mate. Shame as he is a talented player.
  • I was probably a bit harsh about Josh, and at the end of the day I'd be much happier having him in the squad than letting him go, unless funds earned were available to be spent on a good replacement, and not pocketed by RD.
  • Bowyer has said a replacement will be lined up should any players go so I hope that's the case if magennis goes please no more lies please prove our club isn't rotten to the core we have all just about had enough
  • SDAddick said:

JamesSeed said:

Disappointed if Magennis is going. Decent hard working pro and we won't replace him.

His lack of goals may have cost us promotion last season. Keeping him as our main striker was a typical demonstration of our lack of ambition under the current owner I think.
    Oh I think that's harsh on a lot of fronts. I think our inability to create many clear cut chances is part of what cost us promotion, along with injuries, a manager who was not quite good enough, and the habit of conceding late goals that gave away points.

I think Josh is a good forward for this level and think it's no accident he's going to the Championship. I think in a different system and/or with better service he would do better. I was looking forward to seeing him play with Taylor and Igor, as I think he would be a good foil to both, especially the latter. But sadly, given he's been played with Ajose pretty much all season it has felt to me like it's always been expected that he'd be sold.

It's sad that we're now at the point where we're bringing in hundreds of thousands of pounds for a player and hoping we sign a couple players on trial on a free, but I do hope this means we can sign Ince.

Also, this means to start the season we'll only have KAG, Taylor, and Ajose as center forwards and Marshall and maybe Dawkins (if he signs) as natural wide players. That is not good for a team that will play strictly 4-4-2.
    He missed loads of chances last year. Blasted over from 3 yards against Wimbledon in the cup. Hard working, yes! Good in the air, sometimes. Lacks composure and on field intelligence, all the time
  • edited July 2018
    Richard J said:

Sage said:

Richard J said:

Sage said:

Think Quinn is retiring.
    He'll fit right in then, sign him up pdq :wink:
  • My sole priority is the best player possible in any position.

Naturally if you had a choice between two equal players and one was home grown I would go for them. So in the case of Phillips, it’s his shirt unless a player comes in who is a better and more capable player.

Fact is we need to get out of this shitshow of a league and we are only gonna do that with the best players we can get.

If that’s Phillips - brilliant. If that’s another keeper who is better - that’s fine.

We haven’t got time to me sentimental over someone being proper Charlton.

Post of the year.

We should sign the best players we can find & attract. Playing Magennis upfront because he's a 'nice bloke' or Phillips in goal because he is 'home grown' will get us nowhere.

If there's better available and we have the budget then sign them up and let's get out of this shite division.
    Think you are completely missing the point. Roland is in charge. These players are what we have. If Mag goes do you think there is any chance of us getting a replacement in? Nope. If we get in a number 1 then Phillips wants out. If he goes we are no better off as we still have AMB as no 2. If he stays he will be unhappy and that's hardly good for a small squad.

We shouldn't be worrying about promotion. We should be worrying about having enough players of a good enough standard to keep us safe from the relegation fight this year. Any more is a bonus.

No need to focus on areas where we already have capable players (even if they aren't promotion standard) let's focus on the massive glaring holes elsewhere in the squad.
    Completely disagree but respect your opinion.

Personally I will never be complacent with Charlton just being a league one club.

A club our size should always being looking to get promoted out of a division the standard of league one.
  • edited July 2018
    Josh is a very hard working professional but he is, in my view, a limited player and not someone who is going to move us up a level. In the last year of his contract, it is no surprise that the club have been desperately looking to flog him all summer. By January, we’d be lucky to get £200,000 for him, especially as - absent a takeover - we will most certainly be out of the touch with the leaders at that stage.

I expect the fee to be defrayed against Duchatelet’s huge,ongoing running costs and losses, but if it decreases the chances of Bauer not been flogged on the cheap, it will be worthwhile.

As someone remarked earlier on CL, we have fallen a long way - although I fear we have some way to go if this deplorable owner retains control.
  • Blucher said:

Josh is a very hard working professional but he is, in my view, a limited player and not someone who is going to move us up a level. In the last year of his contract, it is no surprise that the club have been desperately looking to flog him all summer. By January, we’d be lucky to get £200,000 for him, especially as - absent a takeover - we will most certainly be out of the touch with the leaders at that stage.

I expect the fee to be defrayed against Duchatelet’s huge,ongoing running costs and losses, but if it increases the chances of Bauer not been flogged on the cheap, it will be worthwhile.

As someone remarked earlier on CL, we have fallen a long way - although I fear we have some way to go if this deplorable owner retains control.

I think you'll be surprised if you think we're going to get that for him now...
  • Blucher said:

I expect the fee to be defrayed against Duchatelet’s huge,ongoing running costs and losses, but if it increases the chances of Bauer not been flogged on the cheap, it will be worthwhile.

£200k in jan? How much do you think the offer is now? I’d be surprised if it’s more than £100k