Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• seth plum said:

I really like Josh as a person, don't mind him as a player, and will be very sorry to see him go, as will his teammates I reckon.

This!

Also, what did we pay for him? £150k was the rumoured fee if I recall. I don’t get all of these “sold on the cheap” comments. He’s in the last year of his contract with us
  • Josh's movement in the box isn't great, which makes him easy to mark. For all his qualities, you can see he's not a natural striker
  • Swisdom said:

3.5 goals per season. I take it all back. Should have gone to Russia. Makes Josh’s 10 goals a season and many defensive contributions seem trifling.

He’s crap. He’s arrogant. He slow and he’s small. He doesn’t have a trick, doesn’t seem to have much of a football brain. Look at his Swindon glory season - most goals were tap-ins. He’s still living off that.

I agree Karlan deserves a chance and I do think he has got the ability to do well, but we need more options up front and we need to make sure they don’t have Ajose on the back of the shirt.

No. 7 goals in one season in a Charlton shirt equals to 7 goals a season on average. He scored a similar amount on loan at Swindon. So that’s around 14 in two seasons. I agree that this is a poor record and he should be moved on. It would be interesting to see the goals per minutes comparison with Magennis over the last two seasons. I bet Magennis has played more minutes but Ajose has a better record overal.
  • This is good news.
    Grant and Hackett have the golden opportunity to step up.
    They both have the potential to own the league this season.

The both have the potential to be locked up in a cell in Ibiza.
    Highly unlikely.
  • I couldn't give a toss if my striker can defend from corners, give me a goal scorer anyday

Agreed. All 11 players defending means the ball always comes straight back if we clear it.
  • edited July 2018
    We’ll probably miss Josh’s defensive qualities more than his ability in front of goal. Assume that Bowyer was allowed to bring Taylor in on the premise that either Igor or Josh went and Igor’s injury meant it had to be Josh.

Extremely concerned about the size of our squad now.
  • I couldn't give a toss if my striker can defend from corners, give me a goal scorer anyday

I just see it as a bonus, but max 5 or 10% of his job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

3.5 goals per season. I take it all back. Should have gone to Russia. Makes Josh’s 10 goals a season and many defensive contributions seem trifling.

He’s crap. He’s arrogant. He slow and he’s small. He doesn’t have a trick, doesn’t seem to have much of a football brain. Look at his Swindon glory season - most goals were tap-ins. He’s still living off that.

I agree Karlan deserves a chance and I do think he has got the ability to do well, but we need more options up front and we need to make sure they don’t have Ajose on the back of the shirt.

No. 7 goals in one season in a Charlton shirt equals to 7 goals a season on average. He scored a similar amount on loan at Swindon. So that’s around 14 in two seasons. I agree that this is a poor record and he should be moved on. It would be interesting to see the goals per minutes comparison with Magennis over the last two seasons. I bet Magennis has played more minutes but Ajose has a better record overal.
    Actually his "7 goals in 1 season" were all scored in a 3 month period - until Karl Robinson came to Charlton, changed the system to 1 target man up front.
    Ajose didn't fit in that system, was soon excluded and loaned out.

Even with Russell Slade's 'orrible style of football and geriatric slow midfield, Ajose was still on course for 15 + goals that season.

• JamesSeed said:

I couldn't give a toss if my striker can defend from corners, give me a goal scorer anyday

I just see it as a bonus, but max 5 or 10% of his job.
    Yeah agreed it is a plus to have a good aerial presence, but Magennis' attacking hold up play is well well below par, the few games that Leon Best played showed Magennis how to properly hold the ball up

Of course goals are more important but the extra goals will be cancelled out if we’re leaking more at set pieces down the other end.
  • also with Konsa gone, Magennis will be unavailable in international weeks and we won't have enough internationals to call the games off
  • If Josh goes , he needs to be replaced . But I doubt we will get anyone with our skinflint owner . The squad is getting smaller and the season only a week away - madness .
  • se9addick said:

We’ll probably miss Josh’s defensive qualities more than his ability in front of goal. Assume that Robinson was allowed to bring Taylor in on the premise that either Igor or Josh went and Igor’s injury meant it had to be Josh.

Woah woah, Bowyer, not Robinson fella.
  • He’s ok, nothing more than that. Played about 55 games last season for club and country so big respect for that. Could be a blessing in disguise if bow plays KAG and Taylor up top.
  • se9addick said:

We’ll probably miss Josh’s defensive qualities more than his ability in front of goal. Assume that Robinson was allowed to bring Taylor in on the premise that either Igor or Josh went and Igor’s injury meant it had to be Josh.

Don't tell me he's back...
  • edited July 2018
    10 in 39 games two years ago, 10 in 42 games this year. Those are midfielder stats whichever way you slice them. Sorry just my opinion but he won't be missed for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Freddie Woodman incoming ?
  • edited July 2018
    J BLOCK said:

Freddie Woodman incoming ?

That would be a bloody good signing!!

He'll be a top Goalkeeper if given a chance
  • J BLOCK said:

Is this from the fella on Twitter j block ??
  • edited July 2018
    Mention of Leon Best above. Must be on comeback trail by now. Would be a great addition to the squad when fit, as evidenced by his brief cameo for us last season.
  • its all very well people saying he wont be missed but who the hell else is there?
    the transfer period ends in less than two weeks and our squad is looking as if it would struggle to even make it to mid table and that's without factoring in our appalling record with injuries.
  • FAVADDICK said:

J BLOCK said:

Is this from the fella on Twitter j block ??
    Yeah mate
  • Sage said:

se9addick said:

Woah woah, Bowyer, not Robinson fella.

se9addick said:

Don't tell me he's back...
    Ha - sorry guys, tired/hungover!
  • J BLOCK said:

Been linked with Norwich all summer but they went for Tim Krul instead.
  • Mention of Leon Best above. Must be on comeback trail by now. Would be a great addition to the squad when fit, as evidenced by his brief cameo for us last season.

Agreed, people seem to have forgotten about him, but he was a bit of a live wire I thought.