Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Blackburn 28/04/2018 - POST MATCH THREAD

Comments

• I’ll be honest I’ve gone a bit negative on us , since I didn’t fancy us against Blackburn and expected Plymouth and Scunny to win
    Also expect them both to win next Saturday and I’m not sure about us cos of Rochdale having to win .
    So I’m desperately wanting a Scunny victory over Plymouth this week
  • stonemuse said:
    "We'll see you all at Wembley". Great optimism. Let's hope so. Plenty to do first.
  • I’ll be honest I’ve gone a bit negative on us , since I didn’t fancy us against Blackburn and expected Plymouth and Scunny to win
    Also expect them both to win next Saturday and I’m not sure about us cos of Rochdale having to win .
    So I’m desperately wanting a Scunny victory over Plymouth this week

PMA = Positive Mental Attitude.
    Do not allow negative vibes - positive vibes will make it happen.

We do seem to struggle against the lower teams but Rochdale is a must win and I fully expect Bowyer to get them in the right frame of mind for this must win game.
  • What has impressed me so much is the players standing up and being counted. We probably didn't deserve to win on the balance of play yesterday, and under Robinson we wouldn't have. But, as against Portsmouth and Shrewsbury, the lads really wanted it. Amos, Bauer, Pearce and JFC most noticeably have been superb, and Marshall really put in a performance. It's still early days to be chucking around superlatives about Bowyer as a manager, but I think the biggest compliment he can be payed is that I would back this team to go to Millwall and win. How many Charlton teams in recent times would you say that about? As an aside, we have to get Fosu back. He is a superb asset to have at this level and if we don't go up I can definitely see us losing him in the summer. Relives pressure, buys free kicks for fun, scores goals and seems a really nice lad; he was in the West singing along to 'Lee Bowyers Red and White Army' at full time yesterday.

What has impressed me so much is the players standing up and being counted. We probably didn't deserve to win on the balance of play yesterday, and under Robinson we wouldn't have. But, as against Portsmouth and Shrewsbury, the lads really wanted it. Amos, Bauer, Pearce and JFC most noticeably have been superb, and Marshall really put in a performance. It's still early days to be chucking around superlatives about Bowyer as a manager, but I think the biggest compliment he can be payed is that I would back this team to go to Millwall and win. How many Charlton teams in recent times would you say that about? As an aside, we have to get Fosu back. He is a superb asset to have at this level and if we don't go up I can definitely see us losing him in the summer. Relives pressure, buys free kicks for fun, scores goals and seems a really nice lad; he was in the West singing along to 'Lee Bowyers Red and White Army' at full time yesterday.

I fully expect TFH to be at the Valley next season, especially if we get through the play-offs to the Promised Land.

He seems to be injured a lot, quite often with hamstring problems - as was Danny Haynes and that could be his stumbling block in achieving his potential - and maybe why Reading let him go.
  • purdis said:

What has impressed me so much is the players standing up and being counted. We probably didn't deserve to win on the balance of play yesterday, and under Robinson we wouldn't have. But, as against Portsmouth and Shrewsbury, the lads really wanted it. Amos, Bauer, Pearce and JFC most noticeably have been superb, and Marshall really put in a performance. It's still early days to be chucking around superlatives about Bowyer as a manager, but I think the biggest compliment he can be payed is that I would back this team to go to Millwall and win. How many Charlton teams in recent times would you say that about? As an aside, we have to get Fosu back. He is a superb asset to have at this level and if we don't go up I can definitely see us losing him in the summer. Relives pressure, buys free kicks for fun, scores goals and seems a really nice lad; he was in the West singing along to 'Lee Bowyers Red and White Army' at full time yesterday.

I fully expect TFH to be at the Valley next season, especially if we get through the play-offs to the Promised Land.

He seems to be injured a lot, quite often with hamstring problems - as was Danny Haynes and that could be his stumbling block in achieving his potential - and maybe why Reading let him go.
    If we get promoted, Fosu will be here next season for sure, I have no doubts. The problem is, if we were to somehow unfortunately miss out, I think he will in fact be off in the summer, and for that, I have no doubt.

Ultimately, we need this promotion now more than possibly ever thinking long term as well as the playing squad short term. And I think we might just do it.
  • A brilliant day. We just need Scunny to stuff Plymouth on Tuesday !
  • If we go up and Bolton go down - where would that leave him?

If he was surplus/unaffordable for Bolton in the Championship, that will be multiplied in L1!

I can see him wanting to come here again this season, as he looks happy but if we don't go up I can see Championship sides being in for him, as he's clearly good enough
  • Sponsored links:

• After the balls up of this season on and off the field, making the play offs will be little short of miraculous.
  • Cracking spirit and togetherness.

Time for Zyro to come back in, I think; we badly need someone to hold the ball up.
  • 3 years or more since we’ve had a crowd and atmosphere at home like that, everyone on a drink up after in the pubs singing Charlton songs been many years since I’ve seen and heard that.
  • SDAddick said:

Haven't been able to breathe in a good three hours. Losing my voice from shouting.

Fuck me.

What a gutsy, gritty, determined performance.

That's the loudest I've heard The Valley in quite some time.

The players deserved it today, we deserved it today, win and we're in the playoffs, and who would fancy us when we get up a head of steam and still show fight and determination like that.

A big fuck you to those thinking about Wembley and booking flights because you've made me think about it as well and that kind of thing is terrible luck.

I’m booking nothing until Wembley is certain but if we make it, I probably will too.
    Hopefully we'll all get to meet you guys in the Swan afterwards.
  • Fantastic. We weren't flashy but we worked hard, bit lucky for 3 points I would say but these things happen. Blackburn simply didn't show up first half, second half they looked dangerous but players like Marshall, JFC and Kashi weren't giving them the time to make clear cut chances. Admittedly a little scare on the cross bar and clearance which I guess is a bit of luck but our work rate deserved it.

Amos great game, defense solid, Pearcey is having a great set of games long may it continue, BFG with a few important interceptions, full backs all decent enough. I'm really starting to warm to Reeves now but he simply has to stop doing so much, does really well to receive the ball, turns with it well, has a nice little run and then gets trapped, needs to stick his head up more and find a pass. JFC is fast becoming my favourite Charlton player, if he can start adding more goals to his game then he's about the closest thing we have to a complete midfielder. Kashi the little terrier again, love watching him get stuck in and break up the play. Marshall MotM performance, he made some really decent runs forward imo, ran into a dead end once or twice but other than that as well top defending, he also really backed up our two fullbacks the whole game. Slight concern about our strikers and if we do go up I would love to see is invest in a potent striker. Magennis just doesn't make enough runs or get the ball forward bar knock downs and Ajose although looks a harder worker now has no synergy with Josh, both were making knock downs and runs out of sync.

Anyway cracking atmosphere, think Blackburn fans made a bit of noise but we were pretty vocal as well, thats the best the Valley has felt for years imo, I walked away really feeling an attachment to the players and manager again. Other fans around me seemed very energetic as well. If Roland sells up and we get promoted then we really are on our way to something special maybe. Completely in our hands still, Rochdale will be tricky though but we can do it

Edit: thought I would just add their left back Bell? Looked some player, felt he was really causing us some trouble

blimey, how long have you been watching us ? - I've been saying this for years (probably since BWP & Kermorgant left). And doesn't matter what league we are in next season, we still need at least 2 more strikers. Magennis in nowhere good enough from Championship & for me would only be a back up striker in League 1.
    Closest thing was probably Vetokele in his first few games. I do think if we go up Ajose and Magennis are decent enough as back ups but I would love us to sign Pitman and Graham Carey from this league and either Eisa or Stockley from league 2, both had great season and on a lot of clubs radars.
    I heard interest in Eisa is rising. He'd be a sound investment.
  • Fantastic. We weren't flashy but we worked hard, bit lucky for 3 points I would say but these things happen. Blackburn simply didn't show up first half, second half they looked dangerous but players like Marshall, JFC and Kashi weren't giving them the time to make clear cut chances. Admittedly a little scare on the cross bar and clearance which I guess is a bit of luck but our work rate deserved it.

Amos great game, defense solid, Pearcey is having a great set of games long may it continue, BFG with a few important interceptions, full backs all decent enough. I'm really starting to warm to Reeves now but he simply has to stop doing so much, does really well to receive the ball, turns with it well, has a nice little run and then gets trapped, needs to stick his head up more and find a pass. JFC is fast becoming my favourite Charlton player, if he can start adding more goals to his game then he's about the closest thing we have to a complete midfielder. Kashi the little terrier again, love watching him get stuck in and break up the play. Marshall MotM performance, he made some really decent runs forward imo, ran into a dead end once or twice but other than that as well top defending, he also really backed up our two fullbacks the whole game. Slight concern about our strikers and if we do go up I would love to see is invest in a potent striker. Magennis just doesn't make enough runs or get the ball forward bar knock downs and Ajose although looks a harder worker now has no synergy with Josh, both were making knock downs and runs out of sync.

Anyway cracking atmosphere, think Blackburn fans made a bit of noise but we were pretty vocal as well, thats the best the Valley has felt for years imo, I walked away really feeling an attachment to the players and manager again. Other fans around me seemed very energetic as well. If Roland sells up and we get promoted then we really are on our way to something special maybe. Completely in our hands still, Rochdale will be tricky though but we can do it

Edit: thought I would just add their left back Bell? Looked some player, felt he was really causing us some trouble

blimey, how long have you been watching us ? - I've been saying this for years (probably since BWP & Kermorgant left). And doesn't matter what league we are in next season, we still need at least 2 more strikers. Magennis in nowhere good enough from Championship & for me would only be a back up striker in League 1.
    Closest thing was probably Vetokele in his first few games. I do think if we go up Ajose and Magennis are decent enough as back ups but I would love us to sign Pitman and Graham Carey from this league and either Eisa or Stockley from league 2, both had great season and on a lot of clubs radars.
    I heard interest in Eisa is rising. He'd be a sound investment.
    More of a winger than a centre forward.

A centre forward is where all our money needs to be spent next season. Whatever league we are in.
  • edited April 2018
    There's a few references here to the Alamo in relation to our second half defending. Do people need reminding the Alamo was lost? A better comparison would be the defence of Bastogne by the 101st Airborne.
  • I don't think it was that extreme - a couple of good saves by Amos and they hit the bar - we had a great chance too.
  • There's a few references here to the Alamo in relation to our second half defending. Do people need reminding the Alamo was lost? A better comparison would be the defence of Bastogne by the 101st Airborne.

Rorke's Drift?
  • bobmunro said:

There's a few references here to the Alamo in relation to our second half defending. Do people need reminding the Alamo was lost? A better comparison would be the defence of Bastogne by the 101st Airborne.

Rorke's Drift?
    Funny that - Zulu has been on Sky movies over the weekend.
  • Sponsored links:

• There's a few references here to the Alamo in relation to our second half defending. Do people need reminding the Alamo was lost? A better comparison would be the defence of Bastogne by the 101st Airborne.

To be fair, they only had Davy Crockett, not Jason Pearce.
  • edited April 2018
    Have watched a fair bit of the match again on VP, and Blackburn were better than I appreciated at the time. It was purely our commitment that saw us through. Glad not to have to face them in a playoff final at Wembley, that's for sure.
    I predicted a win and commented that we'd make them look very average. Well I got the win part right, but not sure we quite managed the second part.
  • JamesSeed said:

Have watched a fair bit of the match again on VP, and Blackburn were better than I appreciated at the time. It was purely our commitment that saw us through. Glad not to have to face them in a playoff final at Wembley, that's for sure.

I thought Blackburn were far better than us on Saturday other than putting the ball in the back of the net. On another day they would have beaten us comfortably.

If we do get promoted we won't get very far with our existing midfield/attack. Defensively we're okay and can build from that.

As a team we seem to lose possession too easily - I'm not sure if this is down to tactics or the quality of our players.

Bowyer has got the team to work as a unit and despite our limitations in with an outside chance of promotion via the playoffs. Pretty amazing turnaround since he took over - I thought the two consecutive defeats would have finished the season.
  • JamesSeed said:

I thought Blackburn were far better than us on Saturday other than putting the ball in the back of the net. On another day they would have beaten us comfortably.

If we do get promoted we won't get very far with our existing midfield/attack. Defensively we're okay and can build from that.

As a team we seem to lose possession too easily - I'm not sure if this is down to tactics or the quality of our players.

Bowyer has got the team to work as a unit and despite our limitations in with an outside chance of promotion via the playoffs. Pretty amazing turnaround since he took over - I thought the two consecutive defeats would have finished the season.
    We need a right back. Although I am beginning to think that Marshall would make a good one. A very decent striker would make a big difference to the team.
  • Redrobo said:

JamesSeed said:

We need a right back. Although I am beginning to think that Marshall would make a good one. A very decent striker would make a big difference to the team.
    I think without a decent midfield focussing on our need for a decent striker isn't really the main issue. We simply don't create enough.
  • Amos: the matchwinner
    Konsa: not a fullback, committed but error prone
    Bauer: so much improved with Pearce alongside
    Pearce: great to see him fully fit, one of the few of Championship standard
    Page: crocked in the cause, probably his best left back showing since he's been here
    Reeves: lightweight, short of puff, not physically up to this sort of match, not really sure what he brings overall
    Kashi: typically curate's egg performance, we're much more solid with him but he's not quite as good as he thinks he is and none of his midfield colleagues are as quick witted as him, which leaves him looking foolish occasionally, must be retained
    Forster-Caskey: impetuous, fiery but ever improving
    Marshall: defensively a revelation
    Ajose: got no service and little change out of the physical mismatch with Rovers' CH's, worked hard always nuisance value
    Magennis: tireless as ever, gives his all and more in whatever role he's given, we need to keep hold of him
    DaSilva: peerless and will leave a huge gulf in the squad, clearly ready for a higher challenge

Mavididi: fresh legs much needed at the time
    Aribo: should have replaced Reeves much earlier, no time to make a real impact, very promising prospect
  • Charlton play-off rival so confident of making top six that he opts not to do lap of honour at final home league game of season

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/935658660?-11197:833
  • One shot, one goal
    Charlton bolstered their play-off hopes with a crucial win, beating already-promoted Blackburn 1-0 at the Valley. They did this despite having only one shot on goal in the entire game. That's only the second time since December 2014 that a team in England's top four divisions won a match after scoring from their only shot on goal - Sunderland also did so when beating Nottingham Forest 1-0 earlier this season.

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/935664423?-11197:833
  • Solid if unspectacular performance. Everybody put in a shift and thank heavens for Pearse's arse.

Back in the day if that shot had hit Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink's ARSE it would have rebounded and knocked out the shooter !