Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Blackburn 28/04/2018 - POST MATCH THREAD

Comments

• I think Page is a much much better LB than Dasilva, he is so solid and sticks to his task. Dasilva is the better footballer but we look so exposed down the left hand side when he plays imo
  • Excellent summary Braziliance
  • Bell is in the L1 team of the season. Scored Fleetwood's last minute equaliser at the Valley last season too
  • I think Robinson did a lot of good things and players like Reeves and Marshall are showing they were not duds. He was tactically inflexible and had to go and I wish he had gone a few weeks sooner, but he wasn't rubbish.

Is that an oxymoron? He's inflexible but not rubbish?? A manager, in any job and at an level who is inflexible, is pretty rubbish in my book.

His career will ultimately fade out into obscurity in the lower leagues. He will be rememered mainly for one thing; his ability to generate a lot of hot air via self-promotion and sycophancy.
    Move on
  • Leuth said:

Bell is in the L1 team of the season. Scored Fleetwood's last minute equaliser at the Valley last season too

Yeah I look at their squad and I see quite a bit of quality, can see from yesterday Bell will easily make the step up, so will Mulgrew and I think it was their number 29. Also quite happy how Dack wasn't involved yesterday as he has undeniable quality. Can see why they are up the top
  • I fear we may not quite have enough unless we can somehow get Fosu back for the play offs. We badly need an outlet to relieve the pressure, fortunately we managed to get away with it yesterday, but for once, we had a bit of luck and an excellent ref. If not Fosu, then either Mavididi needs to find form or we need to get Ahearn Grant back. Ajose may be a good poacher, but he isn't a good enough outlet to really trouble and occupy the opposing defence, although he did Ok in this respect at Pompey in the first half. On the plus side, things do appear to be falling in our favour. We thought Kashi and JDS were finished for the season, Page has been a revelation, and fortunately it sounds like his injury wasn't as bad as first thought. Amos is in terrific form, as are Pearce, Bauer, JFC in particular. This could be our season, but I think it largely depends on Fosu.

Agree totally. If the Scunthorpe/Plymouth game on Tuesday doesn't go against us....and if we win away next Saturday....and if the games involving scunthorpe and plymouth go against them, then we're in the play-offs.

Yes, it was great to chalk up a win yesterday. But to me this feels like '96 when we stumbled into the play-offs but never looked like getting any further. Then (and now) we didn't have a reliable goal scorer.

Still: stranger things have happened. And it's better to be here considering this than being 19th, on a streak of miserable form, and thinking about a pointless relegation to League Two. (Which is where we might have drifted had Robinson remained in charge).
  • We scored against a very decent side early on and respected them by defending that lead. We rode our luck a little but Blackburn had to chase the game in the second half. The first half was even. Nothing to criticise, much to praise.

We look very limited going forward and that has to be a concern. Defensively we were good but not much else.

Tbf I think that had a lot to do with the quality of the opposition.
    Yes but we're in L1 - Blackburn are a good side but I was disappointed how toothless we were.

Bowyer has got us more organised but we do appear to have a limited set of midfield players/forwards.

up front we are limited - especially when Fosu isnt playing.
    my concern is also that we very rarely get the ball into the box. If someone was to count simply the number of balls played into the box yesterday i would expect it to be at least 20 for Blackburn and maybe 2/3 for us - its been like that against most teams this season.
    This for me. We play some good football but don't put the ball into the box nearly enough times. Probably the ball of the day came from Konsa in the first half - and he doesn't usually cross.
  • Sponsored links:

• Fantastic. We weren't flashy but we worked hard, bit lucky for 3 points I would say but these things happen. Blackburn simply didn't show up first half, second half they looked dangerous but players like Marshall, JFC and Kashi weren't giving them the time to make clear cut chances. Admittedly a little scare on the cross bar and clearance which I guess is a bit of luck but our work rate deserved it.

Amos great game, defense solid, Pearcey is having a great set of games long may it continue, BFG with a few important interceptions, full backs all decent enough. I'm really starting to warm to Reeves now but he simply has to stop doing so much, does really well to receive the ball, turns with it well, has a nice little run and then gets trapped, needs to stick his head up more and find a pass. JFC is fast becoming my favourite Charlton player, if he can start adding more goals to his game then he's about the closest thing we have to a complete midfielder. Kashi the little terrier again, love watching him get stuck in and break up the play. Marshall MotM performance, he made some really decent runs forward imo, ran into a dead end once or twice but other than that as well top defending, he also really backed up our two fullbacks the whole game. Slight concern about our strikers and if we do go up I would love to see is invest in a potent striker. Magennis just doesn't make enough runs or get the ball forward bar knock downs and Ajose although looks a harder worker now has no synergy with Josh, both were making knock downs and runs out of sync.

Anyway cracking atmosphere, think Blackburn fans made a bit of noise but we were pretty vocal as well, thats the best the Valley has felt for years imo, I walked away really feeling an attachment to the players and manager again. Other fans around me seemed very energetic as well. If Roland sells up and we get promoted then we really are on our way to something special maybe. Completely in our hands still, Rochdale will be tricky though but we can do it

Edit: thought I would just add their left back Bell? Looked some player, felt he was really causing us some trouble

blimey, how long have you been watching us ? - I've been saying this for years (probably since BWP & Kermorgant left). And doesn't matter what league we are in next season, we still need at least 2 more strikers. Magennis in nowhere good enough from Championship & for me would only be a back up striker in League 1.
  • 1StevieG said:

That was one of those games where both sides were focused on their game and a little bit of luck was the difference between both teams. What it lacked in quality it made up in desire and commitment to the tactics. Seeing Pearce and Bauer charging down passes from midfield and making crucial blocks, Magennis battle with their defence, Marshall helping out at the back and Amos handling everything that was thrown at him like it was a regular day at the office reminds me of what it used to be like supporting this football club. The atmosphere was great from both sets of fans and the tension caused by the number of attacks we thwarted made my hair stand on end ( and I don’t have much! ). By the end I was too stressed to enjoy it straight away. I hope you were watching Roland because you would have learnt what could have been done in your tenure of Charlton.

it is still his tenure, isn't it?
  • Fantastic. We weren't flashy but we worked hard, bit lucky for 3 points I would say but these things happen. Blackburn simply didn't show up first half, second half they looked dangerous but players like Marshall, JFC and Kashi weren't giving them the time to make clear cut chances. Admittedly a little scare on the cross bar and clearance which I guess is a bit of luck but our work rate deserved it.

Amos great game, defense solid, Pearcey is having a great set of games long may it continue, BFG with a few important interceptions, full backs all decent enough. I'm really starting to warm to Reeves now but he simply has to stop doing so much, does really well to receive the ball, turns with it well, has a nice little run and then gets trapped, needs to stick his head up more and find a pass. JFC is fast becoming my favourite Charlton player, if he can start adding more goals to his game then he's about the closest thing we have to a complete midfielder. Kashi the little terrier again, love watching him get stuck in and break up the play. Marshall MotM performance, he made some really decent runs forward imo, ran into a dead end once or twice but other than that as well top defending, he also really backed up our two fullbacks the whole game. Slight concern about our strikers and if we do go up I would love to see is invest in a potent striker. Magennis just doesn't make enough runs or get the ball forward bar knock downs and Ajose although looks a harder worker now has no synergy with Josh, both were making knock downs and runs out of sync.

Anyway cracking atmosphere, think Blackburn fans made a bit of noise but we were pretty vocal as well, thats the best the Valley has felt for years imo, I walked away really feeling an attachment to the players and manager again. Other fans around me seemed very energetic as well. If Roland sells up and we get promoted then we really are on our way to something special maybe. Completely in our hands still, Rochdale will be tricky though but we can do it

Edit: thought I would just add their left back Bell? Looked some player, felt he was really causing us some trouble

blimey, how long have you been watching us ? - I've been saying this for years (probably since BWP & Kermorgant left). And doesn't matter what league we are in next season, we still need at least 2 more strikers. Magennis in nowhere good enough from Championship & for me would only be a back up striker in League 1.
    Closest thing was probably Vetokele in his first few games. I do think if we go up Ajose and Magennis are decent enough as back ups but I would love us to sign Pitman and Graham Carey from this league and either Eisa or Stockley from league 2, both had great season and on a lot of clubs radars.
  • edited April 2018
    Watching the highlights - it was Amos's studs that did for Page's knee.
  • I think Robinson did a lot of good things and players like Reeves and Marshall are showing they were not duds. He was tactically inflexible and had to go and I wish he had gone a few weeks sooner, but he wasn't rubbish.

Is that an oxymoron? He's inflexible but not rubbish?? A manager, in any job and at an level who is inflexible, is pretty rubbish in my book.

His career will ultimately fade out into obscurity in the lower leagues. He will be rememered mainly for one thing; his ability to generate a lot of hot air via self-promotion and sycophancy.
    A job on TalkSport awaits.
  • Sponsored links:

• If oldham are losing at Northampton next week a draw might be good enough for both Rochdale and us so we might do a West Germany and Austria and play out for the draw !!!!

• youngluke said:

If oldham are losing at Northampton next week a draw might be good enough for both Rochdale and us so we might do a West Germany and Austria and play out for the draw !!!!

Would rather just beat them and leave nothing to chance! Had a look on one of there forum and the fans think there pretty much done for. They draw ALOT at home gotta have a go at them.
  • What a game , what an atmosphere , from North East family stand could clearly hear the Blackburn fans singing songs , then the Covered End copying them for much of the first 20 minutes .
    Pearce is a leader and his sheer will to win means he deserved that deflected goal .

It was all about the result and we got it with a slice of luck .
    Thought the ref lent our way which always helps .

Play offs 60%

100% Roland Out
  • If we go up and Bolton go down - where would that leave him?
  • Ben Amos is a must for next season if we can get him , he’s been immense and has a presence about him.
    Can’t believe the turnaround from those first couple of games when he looked awful .
    My player of the year .

I thought he looked terrible as well but since then he has proved us all wrong. Needs to play at a higher level.
  • Fosu got a hamstring injury didn’t he? I’d be very pleasantly surprised if we saw him at Rochdale. If we get a result and make it to the playoffs, he may be back before the final bit again, I’d be surprised
  • What a game , what an atmosphere , from North East family stand could clearly hear the Blackburn fans singing songs , then the Covered End copying them for much of the first 20 minutes .
    Pearce is a leader and his sheer will to win means he deserved that deflected goal .

It was all about the result and we got it with a slice of luck .
    Thought the ref lent our way which always helps .

Play offs 60%

100% Roland Out

I think your percentages are normally pretty spot on, but I think our chances of reaching them are better than that.
    Beat me to it !

C'mon oohaah:

Roland out 100%
    Play offs 75%