Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Blackburn 28/04/2018 - POST MATCH THREAD

Comments

• I get the adulation for Marshall, he chased,harried and covered a lot yestrday, however, his crossing,decision-making and shooting is poor - and has been all season - needs to work on that.

yeah, for a full back he was brilliant but for a winger he was pretty crap.
    I could have sworn that was Marshall jinking past Blackburn defenders on numerous occasions and being hacked down in front of the west stand. I must of been mistaken !
    I thought I saw that too! I am going to Spec Savers first thing tomorrow!
  • Ref today was superb.....but loses a point for 7 minutes went up.

The ref doesn't decide that, it's in the remit of the fourth official.
    Not true. Timekeeping is the remit of the referee. The fourth official’s only role is to hold up the board displaying the minutes.
  • 7 minutes was fair - Page was down for 3 minutes at least then there were subs so perfectly reasonable.
  • I fear we may not quite have enough unless we can somehow get Fosu back for the play offs. We badly need an outlet to relieve the pressure, fortunately we managed to get away with it yesterday, but for once, we had a bit of luck and an excellent ref. If not Fosu, then either Mavididi needs to find form or we need to get Ahearn Grant back. Ajose may be a good poacher, but he isn't a good enough outlet to really trouble and occupy the opposing defence, although he did Ok in this respect at Pompey in the first half. On the plus side, things do appear to be falling in our favour. We thought Kashi and JDS were finished for the season, Page has been a revelation, and fortunately it sounds like his injury wasn't as bad as first thought. Amos is in terrific form, as are Pearce, Bauer, JFC in particular. This could be our season, but I think it largely depends on Fosu.
  • Wasn't the prognosis for Fosu two weeks? We can do it without him, but a player of his quality will only help. I would imagine he would be in contention for the play off games = at least a couple of them. Hamstrings can be tricky so Bowyer may have him on the bench initially to use if we have to. If we get to the final - bags of time for him to be 100%.
  • I get the adulation for Marshall, he chased,harried and covered a lot yestrday, however, his crossing,decision-making and shooting is poor - and has been all season - needs to work on that.

But I would judge him on the job he actually did on the day and it’s value to the outcome. Not the job he didn’t do. The fact it’s not the job he was employed to do makes it an even bigger achievement.

yeah I agree. yesterday I was impressed with Marshall. not for his attacking exploits which as others have said were as usual poor but for his tremendous effect at defending. if he can play like that I'm happy but I'm also disappointed that so far since he's joined us he has made little impact in our attacking play.
  • JFC is a good example of not thinking 'meh' about a player too soon. The standard he has reached lately tell me that we have a terrific player there, if anybody deserves reward and a rest and a good cosy lie in after the season ends it is JFC.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Robinson did a lot of good things and players like Reeves and Marshall are showing they were not duds. He was tactically inflexible and had to go and I wish he had gone a few weeks sooner, but he wasn't rubbish.
  • Great atmosphere and performance yesterday, both together may just have reignited my 11 year olds desire to stick with CAFC.

Scunny win Tuesday and we just need to match Plymouth's result next Saturday and we will be in the play offs.

Don't see the fuss in Bowyer not watching Tuesdays game, we have played all our potential play off opponent's during the last few weeks so he knows what to expect.

But I would judge him on the job he actually did on the day and it’s value to the outcome. Not the job he didn’t do. The fact it’s not the job he was employed to do makes it an even bigger achievement.

And the way the game turned out he didn't have the ball in attacking positions very often. Hardly at all probably.
  • masicat said:

Fantastic defensive display, and a lucky win. We deserve some luck. My only complaint is Ajose, he would never have got a game under Curbishley. In a game like this he has to be aware and make it difficult for Blackburn’s midfield as the ball comes back out from an attack. He is too slow to react and I actually looked across to Bowyer when he didn’t react for about the 5th time second half . Bowyer immediately called the sub up to replace him.
    Was shocked at Marshall, never knew he had that in him, played superb. I don’t like Kashi , but he had a pretty good game. I feel he will cost us in a big way if we’re not careful. You watch them play and cannot believe what happened a few weeks back with Wimbledon and Scunthorpe when they were hopeless.
    We will win at Wembley with a very very late goal. It is written.

Ajose, 92nd minute.
    off his arse.
  • masicat said:

Fantastic defensive display, and a lucky win. We deserve some luck. My only complaint is Ajose, he would never have got a game under Curbishley. In a game like this he has to be aware and make it difficult for Blackburn’s midfield as the ball comes back out from an attack. He is too slow to react and I actually looked across to Bowyer when he didn’t react for about the 5th time second half . Bowyer immediately called the sub up to replace him.
    Was shocked at Marshall, never knew he had that in him, played superb. I don’t like Kashi , but he had a pretty good game. I feel he will cost us in a big way if we’re not careful. You watch them play and cannot believe what happened a few weeks back with Wimbledon and Scunthorpe when they were hopeless.
    We will win at Wembley with a very very late goal. It is written.

Ajose, 92nd minute.
    off his arse.
    After a deflection off Josh....
  • We scored against a very decent side early on and respected them by defending that lead. We rode our luck a little but Blackburn had to chase the game in the second half. The first half was even. Nothing to criticise, much to praise.
  • We scored against a very decent side early on and respected them by defending that lead. We rode our luck a little but Blackburn had to chase the game in the second half. The first half was even. Nothing to criticise, much to praise.

Definitely a game we would have lost 2 or 3 nil 2 months ago, handing them 2 goals with mistakes whilst passing around the back 4 a thousand times.

We look very limited going forward and that has to be a concern. Defensively we were good but not much else.

We look very limited going forward and that has to be a concern. Defensively we were good but not much else.

Tbf I think that had a lot to do with the quality of the opposition.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2018
    We are predictable going forwards without Fosu - but it is less of a concern than it was a few weeks ago. Partly because the way to stop us is getting bodies behind the ball, fouling us and pressing us and hoping for a mistake as a bonus. What has changed? We are defensively more sound - as a team, we are battling and standing up to physicality much better and the teams we have to play have to beat us - which helps us.

The teams we have to play are far inferior to Blackburn as it happens, Rochdale lost to Oxford yesterday when they had a major incentive not to!
  • Not much I can add to be honest.

Blackburn are a slick quality team but we won because we wanted it more than them. All players immense but it was Pearce who was my MOTM.

On to Rochdale who won’t be able to sit and frustrate us. They will need to be on the front foot which I think will suit us perfectly. I’m expecting a long ball bombardment from them so Jason and Paddy will earn their corn. Not sure it’s a game for Jay but looking unlikely Lewis will make it. I think we will have enough about us to get a point which I’m hoping will see us through.

Special mention for Middlesbrough. One less thing to worry about.

Yes but we're in L1 - Blackburn are a good side but I was disappointed how toothless we were.

Bowyer has got us more organised but we do appear to have a limited set of midfield players/forwards.

• Never mind learning from Curbs, last two performances suggest that Bowyer is actually a disciple of Mike Bailey. Go 1-0 up then defend with dedication and composure. Impressive considering he was but a toddler back in 1981. We got promoted that season.
  • edited April 2018
    Sometimes it is right to try to win 3-0 and sometimes it is right to hold on to what you have. The deciding factor has to be the opposition. I have been crying for us to try to win games 3-0 as an approach, but not yesterday. I commented before the game that I hoped the crowd would be patient as we needed to respect Blackburn and play this game in a cagey way. I think Bowyer got the tactics right and found the best way to beat them.

The crowd were terrific and the early goal only helped.
  • Blackburn were 27 points ahead of us and 15 games unbeaten before the game yesterday. No ifs, no buts, it was a fantastic performance to win in such a pressure situation, especially considering our talented visitor’s intents upon the league title. To paraphrase Churchill, 'Every man had prepared himself to do his duty, whatever it may be, with special pride and care'. (Too much? :smile: )

The atmosphere was Premier league. From my seat in the East Stand the Covered End easily drowned out the noisy Blackburn fans.

Interesting listening to Bowyer on Radio London whilst travelling home. He dedicated most of the interview waxing lyrical about Ben Amos. Bowyer said that Amos may have been a good keeper when he arrived at the Valley, but has subsequently been turned into a fantastic keeper, primarily by the work of Lee Turner.

Interesting point 'the Covered end easily drowned out the noisy Blackburn fans'.
    From the Covered I only heard them once and thought their support very poor.
    From the East Stand I heard plenty of noise from the Blackburn fans, especially in the first half

Yes but we're in L1 - Blackburn are a good side but I was disappointed how toothless we were.

Bowyer has got us more organised but we do appear to have a limited set of midfield players/forwards.

up front we are limited - especially when Fosu isnt playing.
    my concern is also that we very rarely get the ball into the box. If someone was to count simply the number of balls played into the box yesterday i would expect it to be at least 20 for Blackburn and maybe 2/3 for us - its been like that against most teams this season.
  • Ref today was superb.....but loses a point for 7 minutes went up.

The ref doesn't decide that, it's in the remit of the fourth official.
    Not true. Timekeeping is the remit of the referee. The fourth official’s only role is to hold up the board displaying the minutes.
    Beat me to it Pete.