Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Options

What the fuck is that haircut on The German manager

I am more concerned with the cheap tight t-shirts that the senior German management team always wear.
    Mine look like that and I'm 2xl :neutral:
  • Options
    Rate Mexico as a serious dark horse. They've been really unlucky in the last two.world cups - look just as good this time and with a bit more shape about them. Early on obviously, but they already look good. Love the way they play as well - bringing the ball out of defence without any panic.
  • Options

Laddick01 said:

Hmm ageing Germany side with players struggling for game time. Not the biggest surprise

Ageing??
    Starting 11 in there 30s
    Germany 2
    Mexico 5
    Aside from Kimmich and Werner this Germany Sqaud just feels old, lots of players who you wouldn’t say are in their peak. Mexico on the other hand seem to embrace that experience.
    Germany’s midfield 3 is very immobile especially.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Enjoying Mexico's driving thrusts deep into German territory. Pleasure to see.

They deserve their lead but can they sustain it?
  • Options
    I wouldn't rule Germany out if this yet, but Mexico are very quick on the counter. Very good half of football
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Whatever the reason is, the Germans look very sluggish just as they did against Austria and against Saudi Arabia. I said on this thread that I didn't fancy them before the tournament started but it got brushed off as only being a friendly etc.

It's only half time but in my opinion, the second goal looks more likely to go to Mexico. Maybe the Germans will come out firing second half but nothing in the first half is suggesting that's the case to me... it's going to have to be a team talk and a half by Joachim Low.

Glad I put my money where my mouth was and backed Mexico before the match. Come on the Mexicans!
  • Options

it's got to be said of the four/five "favourites" we have seen so far none have been very convincing, Spain, Argentina and Germany look very vulnerable at the back, France were poor generally and Portugal are one Ronaldo injury away from oblivion. Brazil won't be fearing anyone (if they ever did anyway)

Neither should England fear anyone from what I've seen so far
  • Options

Spain struggling against Tunisia as well. Not impressed with any of the top European sides in these friendlies.

If I was Brazilian, I'd be rubbing my hands together with glee.

Page 18. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lineker seems to think Germany won the World Cup in 98

France won the version I remember
  • Options

it's got to be said of the four/five "favourites" we have seen so far none have been very convincing, Spain, Argentina and Germany look very vulnerable at the back, France were poor generally and Portugal are one Ronaldo injury away from oblivion. Brazil won't be fearing anyone (if they ever did anyway)

Neither should England fear anyone from what I've seen so far
    Only our own weak mental strengh.
  • Options
    Draxler and Brandt instead of Sane must be one of the worst managerial decisions ever
  • Options
    3 players left up at all times against Hummels and Boateng, interesting strategy, Germany need to drop Khedira deeper or drop the fullbacks to even the odds. They were calling Kimmich the best full back in the world earlier, he's been pants so far
  • Options
    It'll be interesting to see what happens if Mexico hold on.

The winners of Brazil's group face the second place team in Germany's group... if Mexico top the group and Germans came second, we could have Brazil v Germany round of 16.

The winner of that match would face the winner of England's group in the quarter final, if they got through the round of 16. While second place in England's group would face Mexico or Serbia or similar.
  • Options
    Exciting to watch are Mexico, hopefully they can keep it up. Expect the Germans to be better second half.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

3 players left up at all times against Hummels and Boateng, interesting strategy, Germany need to drop Khedira deeper or drop the fullbacks to even the odds. They were calling Kimmich the best full back in the world earlier, he's been pants so far

Lahm is a huge miss for Germany I must say.
  • Options
    Just interviewed Southgate, and he said he's only one of four people to have played for and managed England. Who are the others? I'm guessing Hoddle and Keegan. Who else?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Just interviewed Southgate, and he said he's only one of four people to have played for and managed England. Who are the others? I'm guessing Hoddle and Keegan. Who else?

Venables?
  • Options
    Pearce? If caretakers count
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    pearce aint it?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Pearce?
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Peter Taylor played for England I think (another caretaker)
  • Options
    se9addick said:

McBobbin said:

Venables?

Venables?

Yep, two England caps in the 60s. I had no idea.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Venables I'd say
  • Options
    Guess caretakers don't count then!
  • Options
    Bobby Robson?
    Alf Ramsey?

It can't only be 4
  • Options
    Hoddle, Keegan, Venables & Southgate
  • Options
    Alf Ramsey played for England as well as managing so I think Southgate is wrong myself.