Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer Talks - Weekly press conference updates

Comments

• Options
    Brentford have agreed to buy a striker from Turkey, (I believe) and will join them in January, as I said earlier
  • Options
    Jeez the world is a strange place when a move to Brentford from Charlton is seen as one that could change your life. Hopefully with this good window and Bow, Jacko and Gallen around we can start getting our club back to where it used to be. Plus Roland selling up too of course!
    This is Brentford now, not Brentford then. They’re a club on the up at the moment. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Jeez the world is a strange place when a move to Brentford from Charlton is seen as one that could change your life. Hopefully with this good window and Bow, Jacko and Gallen around we can start getting our club back to where it used to be. Plus Roland selling up too of course!
    This is Brentford now, not Brentford then. They’re a club on the up at the moment. 
    They've had their day in the sun in the 1930s and 40s, when they were in the top tier First Division.
    During the first half of their history, Brentford had a lot of parallels with Charlton.

Like Charlton at the time, they were having their own metoric rise from Third Division to First Division, albeit they took an extra season to do it, finishing 4th in Div 2. The next year they were promoted again; then finishing 5th in the First Division and 6th the year after. In 1938-39 season they were top of the League for 17 matches but fell away in the final run in. They were relegated from the First Division in 1947.

They never won the FA Cup though.

Like we had Jimmy Seed to mastermind our own success, they had their own legendary manager, Harry Curtis (known as the Guv'nor) who inspired Brentford in their halcyon period.

Always good to find out a little football history. I find it gives a sense of perspective.

• Options
    Listening to LB press conference, says we were after two more but didn't quite get them done and then when asked he said yes we put a bid for Toney but he was NOT one of the two we just missed out on!! So we wanted Toney + 2 others (no names given) and Hamed, at the time of press conference, he was confident of getting. So from that it seems we wanted Toney, Hamed + 2 who we just missed out on, is that correct?
    We wanted Mark Duffy so possibly one of the 2 along with a right back.
  • Options
    💬LB: "Saturday will be tough. They got a good home win against Fulham. We have to respect them because they finished above us last year. It will be tough, like every game, but if we apply ourselves the right way & compete, then hopefully we get the result that we want." #cafc
  • Options
    💬LB: "No fresh injuries to worry about, So we’re all good." #cafc
  • Options
    If we can’t get Hamed then the good news is Llorente, Sturridge and Odemwinge are all still available as options!

I wonder whom the two we missed out on are?  Oztumer and Taylor or Tooney?
    I'd say Taylor at Bristol city was definitely one, as they signed a replacement (Afobe) too late.

We don't need Oztumer now, we're overloaded in midfield.
    Not sure I agree with this.
    Signing Oztumer now would allow us to send  Lapslie or Morgan out on loan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Harriot is better than any of the front 4 on Tuesday. Has to be a money decision.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Harriot is better than any of the front 4 on Tuesday. Has to be a money decision.
    Not better than Chucks.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:
    Didn’t I read that Harriot is injured - might be more to do with that..
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Or Bowyer doesn’t rate him that highly. We know he’s a lower Chamionship player at best, and a very inconsistent one.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Pretty unacceptable, the FA's attitude towards Hemed. Unlike the EFL their organisation is groaning with money, they should be able to settle these issues promptly. 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    You are wrong. He isn't better than Aneke or Bonne. The midfield against  the Vegans Couldn't feed them. Harriott doesn't have a football brain unfortunately. If Bowyer thinks Fosu can't hack it then Calum has no chance.

Bonne should have been the designated Penalty taker in the absence of Taylor.
    Good record from the spot and needed the boast.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Bowyer and the coaching staff have had plenty of time to look at him, and I am sure there would have been money for him if he wanted him.

I think he would be a step back for us if we had signed him.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Bowyer and the coaching staff have had plenty of time to look at him, and I am sure there would have been money for him if he wanted him.

Were you there on Tuesday? The attacking threat was negligible from our reserves against a fourth division team. Harriot on his day is better than any of them just now
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Southbank said:

Were you there on Tuesday? The attacking threat was negligible from our reserves against a fourth division team. Harriot on his day is better than any of them just now
    When was the last time you saw Harriot play in order to judge that?
    “On his day” is the clue there, unfortunately he was never blessed with consistency.
    I don’t think we can afford the luxury of having  a player in our squad that is going to blow hot and cold on an ongoing basis.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    It's all a matter of opinion of course but specifically on Tuesday night Aneke just seemed to be going through the motions and Bonne's first touch was poor. They scored 5.04 and 4.86 in the statbank accordingly. I'm and probably @Southbank 's not saying Aneke or Bonne are worse than Harriot but that he would have had to go some to score lower albeit he has managed that in the past on more than one occasion.

As I've mentioned before I saw him for Reading at Stoke end of last season and he did ok but he certainly has his detractors amongst our fan base who have no time for him. On the performances of the attacking players against FGR Sothbank's observations were valid IMO.

Hopefully the Hemed situation turns out for the better but if not a fit Harriot would be better than what we saw up top on Tuesday. Beggars can't be choosers but maybe it's best that Harriot hasn't signed as he would have easily leapfrogged Solly as this season's potential whipping boy. However in Bowyer, who may be keeping some of the budget back for an out of contract full back*, we trust.

Edit; * Or Oztumer!  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    I dunno!!
    *EDIT*
    Oh... thanks ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    He's talking about how excited he is for us to stay in this league and Leeds get promoted... 

Complete lack of ambition...
  • Options
    Anyone seen the bird that's interviewing him!

Sort!
    Who is she?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    If we can’t get Hamed then the good news is Llorente, Sturridge and Odemwinge are all still available as options!

I'd say Taylor at Bristol city was definitely one, as they signed a replacement (Afobe) too late.

I wouldn't say we 'need' him, but it's another player in and i certainly won't complain.

Get Hemed sorted and we're set up very nicely for the next few months.
  • Options

Certain it'll be Albie. 

Lapslie has actually been of use so far. Albie merely showed a flash of class against Blackburn.