Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer Talks - Weekly press conference updates

Comments

• Options
    Terrible from Bowyer. Bonne won't have a clear head if he goes through on goal. The pressure on him will be immense. 
    100% agree. You cant go round subbing players everytime they miss a chance. Jesus Christ. Bowyer has a lot to learn. A lot.

Only mitigating factor is there is no direct quote in that piece saying that. But its implied & maybe was a reply from a question that was asked.
  • Options
    Notice that Bowyer has builders working at his home.

Proves he is planning to sell his place.
      Could it be he's moving his house to his lake in Normandy?  Then he only has to transport his lake and house to Leeds in one van, when Bielsa get's sacked next season?

Bonne could at least be offered the van driving job then as he's only non-league.
  • Options
    Terrible from Bowyer. Bonne won't have a clear head if he goes through on goal. The pressure on him will be immense. 
    100% agree. You cant go round subbing players everytime they miss a chance. Jesus Christ. Bowyer has a lot to learn. A lot.

Only mitigating factor is there is no direct quote in that piece saying that. But its implied & maybe was a reply from a question that was asked.
    Agreed, it's a ridiculous thing to suggest. Players make mistakes, if you sub players for one error, you'd need 15 subs! 

Dillon drops the ball and Birmingham score, are you going to sub him? 

If the players are petrified of making mistakes, they're hardly going to be relaxed when given scoring opportunities. Or try the attacking through ball instead of the safe backwards pass.

• Options
    Think Bowyer is going a bit OTT with his hard-line approach to certain players. One mistake and you're off surely isn't going to help build confidence. Morgan has clearly worked hard during lockdown and has been playing well, cut him a bit of slack sometimes. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I'm not sure he is. You have to know the player but both are works in progress. How far they go will depend on how well they learn. Some players at all levels listen and some don't. Some just aren't good enough but Bonne and Morgan are players that can become very good.

The problem can be that you go harder on players you know can take it. Then there is a danger they think you are picking on them. It is important you try to explain that to them.
  • Options
    I think Bows want Morgan to either track or chop. Seeing him do neither is leaving him remembering his playing days and what he would have done. Sometimes you have to say goodbye to the player version of yourself. 
  • Options
    I'm not sure he is. You have to know the player but both are works in progress. How far they go will depend on how well they learn. Some players at all levels listen and some don't. Some just aren't good enough but Bonne and Morgan are players that can become very good.

The problem can be that you go harder on players you know can take it. Then there is a danger they think you are picking on them. It is important you try to explain that to them.
    You can go hard on players who don't work hard, or keep disobeying instructions, that I understand. But not because they miss chances, as that's not a deliberate, conscious action, that's down to their instinct or natural ability
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    hmmoore said:
    The question is, do you think Albie will track back in the next game as a result of what Bowyer has said? If the answer is yes then it’s good management.
    If the answer is no then is it down to Albie rebelling against Bowyer or is it his inability to take instructions on board?
  • Options
    It's Bow's way or the highway, kill or cure, wasn't my preferred style of management but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. He still gets my support.
  • Options
    The other way of looking at is this... If Morgan keeps ignoring Bowyer's instructions when played and we continue to lose

Whose head is on the choping board? - It wont be Morgan's because it never is the players fault, the blame will rest with Bowyer and he'll be the one sacked

And that'll be all down to a player not doing as they're told

Still amazes me to this day how easily players get off the hook when a Manager gets the sack
  • Options
    He's criticised Morgan's defensive work a few times now. If he isn't happy with it why play him? Presumably it's because he's the best passer of the ball we have and gives us something going forward. To take him off because he is hasn't done something that you know isn't a strength of his is poor management imo. Either don't play him or accept he will currently be lacking in certain areas. 
  • Options
    hmmoore said:
    The question is, do you think Albie will track back in the next game as a result of what Bowyer has said? If the answer is yes then it’s good management.
    Well he didn't track back for Wallace chance in the previous home game so clearly Bowyers rant didn't work. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Notice Bowyer has said that Danny Murphy is still at the club and is helping out with the player fitness, advising Lee when players should be rested etc. 

Also doesn't see Wigan winning their appeal against Administration

Doesnt see the need for the drinks breaks either now, especially when its been raining 
    In that case he doesn't see the need for the same set of rules for all games in this mini 9 game season...
  • Options
    Talal said:
    He's criticised Morgan's defensive work a few times now. If he isn't happy with it why play him? Presumably it's because he's the best passer of the ball we have and gives us something going forward. To take him off because he is hasn't done something that you know isn't a strength of his is poor management imo. Either don't play him or accept he will currently be lacking in certain areas. 
    But then if Bowyer doesnt give Morgan a chance how will he know if Albie has learnt from his past mistakes or not?

At the moment its a bit of a catch-22 situation for both of them

I'm sure your right and given time we wont see Albie playing if he continues to make the same mistakes seeing there is only so long that you can persist with him
  • Options
    You could see Bonne's confidence was affected Saturday when he was at a ridiculously tight angle and put the ball across goal rather than in it, his head went down and he booted the advertising hoardings. He's a hand on the shoulder type not a call 'useless' type.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Or play him further forward with a free role  as I said the other day, it's where he's played as a number ten during his development I understand. The thing with that is he's probably at least 4th in the pecking order behind the experienced Williams, McGeedy and Oztumer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It wasn't as if Albie was daydreaming on the half way line or "doing an Ozil" where it was obvious he couldn't be bothered to track back

In this one instance he was caught out by the movement of the Reading player and reacted half a second late.

That wasn't the only error though, the Reading player that played the through ball should surely have been closed down better (by Pratley?)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkYG79bvLRk

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Agree @killerandflash
    Albie has once again gotten stick from Bowyer, when it was multiple mistakes. Albie reacted a second late, a proper left back instead of Deji would probably have thought a 20 year old CM might not read this and may have tucked in a bit tighter to Morgan. 

You can also see from that replay:

PK -  Deji's foot does not catch their players, he goes over from Deji reaching and grabbing his arm. 
    OFFSIDE - Chuks is clearly on side when the ball is played
    PK - JFC looks like he's dived there, however he was cleary being manhandled - should have been a FK on the edge. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    But then if Bowyer doesnt give Morgan a chance how will he know if Albie has learnt from his past mistakes or not?

At the moment its a bit of a catch-22 situation for both of them

I'm sure your right and given time we wont see Albie playing if he continues to make the same mistakes seeing there is only so long that you can persist with him
    Personally I think Bowyer needs to stop playing him if he's going to keep on taking him off when he makes defensive mistakes. Bowyer weakens the side because when Albie isn't in it, we have to change our playing style and the other players can't match his passing accuracy and vision at the moment. 

Stick him in the CAM role and watch him flourish...
  • Options
    Albie leaves a gapping hole.  He may only react half a second late but that is all you need to let in a player.  He was definitely partially at fault for the goal.  Not sure I can blame Bowyer for calling that out, it is a repeated issue and he does need to do something about it to be a better player and get the financial rewards his class on the ball deserve.

As for Bonne, I tend to agree that calling him out on a miss seems daft, not like he meant it and strikes me as a player who gives his all every game but just isn't yet up to being number one striker in the Championship.  Not sure what Bowyer thinks calling him out will do to help this.

• Options
    Perhaps the pressure is getting to Bowyer.
  • Options
    Perhaps the pressure is getting to Bowyer.
    I would be worried if it was not
  • Options
    Remember Fosu - allegedly he would not play the LB way and never played for us after that, but he is a good footballer
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Think Bowyer is going a bit OTT with his hard-line approach to certain players. One mistake and you're off surely isn't going to help build confidence. Morgan has clearly worked hard during lockdown and has been playing well, cut him a bit of slack sometimes. 
    There's quite a lot of smoke there to obscure the view of him having set the team up to fail from the kickoff with a square peg in the left back hole - when there are far better qualified alternatives - and doubly encumbering the inexperienced Morgan by sticking him on the left - he's clearly not a natural wide player and predominantly right sided - when Morgan on the right and McGeady on the left is patently much less risky given McG's comparatively vast experience and greater innate versatility.
    That's a lengthy and detailed way of accusing LB of just trying to cover his arse for making a clutch of mistakes.
  • Options
    Albie leaves a gapping hole.  He may only react half a second late but that is all you need to let in a player.  He was definitely partially at fault for the goal.  Not sure I can blame Bowyer for calling that out, it is a repeated issue and he does need to do something about it to be a better player and get the financial rewards his class on the ball deserve.

As for Bonne, I tend to agree that calling him out on a miss seems daft, not like he meant it and strikes me as a player who gives his all every game but just isn't yet up to being number one striker in the Championship.  Not sure what Bowyer thinks calling him out will do to help this.

Erm... So it's okay for strikers to miss shots, but not for a much younger creative midfielder to miss a run by a half a second...