Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Belgium - Thursday 28th June - 7pm

Comments

• Options
    It was a bit surreal. I was saying momentum before the game but when Rashford missed when through I was relieved. Can't recall a game like it!
  • Options
    Hmm. Starting to get exciting.
  • Options
    Columbia are no mugs and Sweden seem to be England's equivalent of Millwall to us.

That said, on paper, there is a good opportunity of progressing further than we usually do in the knockout stages.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Chunes said:

Already talking about a route to the final, and talking about Colombia likes it's already won

We are the Sheffield Wednesday of international fans

It's no coincidence that the odds on Belgium winning the World Cup have lengthened while the odds on England have shortened after that result.
    I would have thought the same but not on BET365

Last night England were
    15/2
    And Belgium were
    13/2

Now
    England
    15/2
    Belgium
    13/2
    I was looking at the exchanges where the movements are smaller. Before the match, Belgium were a shade over 7/1 and England a shade over 8/1. Now they're both a little over 15/2.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

I don’t think we lost that game intentionally at all. I love our first 11, but we simply aren’t good enough to make that many changes.

No doubt Southgate will be hounded out if we lose against Columbia though

Kicked it over about 3 times. Multiple poor crosses. No killer subs.
  • Options
    First team rested, no bookings, no injuries, every outfield player has now played a world cup game.

We badly missed link up between forwards and midfield, midfielders running beyond Belgium's defence and Trippier & Young's delivery.
  • Options

Chunes said:

Already talking about a route to the final, and talking about Colombia likes it's already won

We are the Sheffield Wednesday of international fans

There’s a total arrogance about it , so annoying it’s like people forget we have not been any good since 66 and was ok in 90 and 96 that’s it

The rest of the time we have been proper shite
    Is there? Who has said we are going to walk over Colombia? And anyway it's nice to feel confident about England for a change.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    skywalker said:

I feel sorry for all the people that payed good money to go and watch this game .

So who should be happier, Belgium or England ?

Do you think Belgians are content to play Japan, Brazil (possibly), rather than Colombia, Switzerland/Sweden ?
  • Options
    This has all the hallmarks of our Italia 90 run to the semis....

Last 16 against a tough but could have been much tougher opposition (Columbia / Belgium) and the easiest quarter we could get on paper (Cameroon / Switzerland or Sweden).

• Options
    edited June 2018
  • Options
    They need to change the fixtures, the two favorite teams in each group need to play each other in the first game.
  • Options
    Martinez has clearly just come out and said they're disappointed to win it...
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    skywalker said:

I feel sorry for all the people that payed good money to go and watch this game .

Congratulations Luke best team won. Sort out Brazil and we'll see you in the final :wink: .
  • Options
    You really can't sensibly judge England so far in this tournament. They've played well against a couple of the no-hopers and then a nothing game against Belgium. I wasn't bothered about the result tonight one way or the other as it's a mugs game trying to work out an ideal path to glory. Just concentrate on winning against whoever is in front off you.

Similarly, its difficult to judge the players who came in, in a nothing game. I reckon any of them, coming into the established side, would do well. But so many changes in the starting eleven, with the players knowing that they are probably just getting some consolation game time, doesn't;t lend itself to a cohesive performance.

Having said that, I thought Dier was Dire and Danny Rose showed that he is a much better option than Ashley Young at left wing back.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    The bed wetting from some England fans is genuinely infuriating and sorry if it's a bit rude, but I think you're genuinely a bit daft if you are in panic mode over that.

We played a very much a second string side. We showed no desire, no passion you could tell we wanted that result and if it didn't cause anymore bed wetting than it already has, I would say the players would be all smiles.

Who cares if we get Japan? Waiting after that was Brazil, if we lose to them it is pretty much the exact same as losing to Colombia in the RO16. Either way people will make jokes and no one remembers people for winning easy knock out games. People do remember world cup winners though, regardless of the route taken and in my lifetime (I'm 27) this is our best chance on paper, easily as well.

All this stuff about morale etc is nonsense as well, do you really think Kane, Alli, Henderson etc are the type of characters that will lose faith in themselves because we lost a meaningless game?

Great result for us tonight and more people will see that when we smash Colombia 3-1 and have a cushty quarter final game against a side we know we can beat. Well done Southgate and the lads

• Options
    I'm with you all the way, except I'm no more certain that we'd smash Colombia or Japan.
  • Options
    As was mentioned on here during the game, if we really wanted to win the group, Kane and a couple of other starters would have been brought on. We didnt win because we really didn’t try to win. We ended up in the weaker half of the knockout phase. That doesn’t mean we’ll win the cup, but it’s an easier route to the final.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2018
    For those saying it’s embarrassing trying to avoid the top teams as it’s makes no difference when we have to beat one eventually.....

I think it makes all the difference in the world when this England team plays a top team.

Playing a top side (such as Brazil) in any stage up to the quarters will indeed results in being easily outclassed....

However - in a semi final onwards the occasion goes up a level. The whole country will be in a euphoric position. None of the players will really remember England in Italia 90 and honestly when the occasion is like that - all bets will be off. They truly could rise to the occasion in a one off game which would be the biggest in English football (club or country) for nearly 30 years.

In fact in my admittedly small sample size of 2 games - England have outplayed arguably stronger sides on paper in the two semi finals I have seen in major tournaments in 90 and 96.
  • Options
    We got an easy group and earned the luxury of having a chance to rest players. Belgium did exactly the same as us but their second string was better than ours. It was always going to be a strange game, win, lose or draw. The only disappointment was that some of the players who came in didn't look good.
  • Options

We got an easy group and earned the luxury of having a chance to rest players. Belgium did exactly the same as us but their second string was better than ours. It was always going to be a strange game, win, lose or draw. The only disappointment was that some of the players who came in didn't look good.

And won by a wonder goal- that ultimately was the difference between us as group winners.

Fine margins
  • Options

skywalker said:

Do you think Belgians are content to play Japan, Brazil (possibly), rather than Colombia, Switzerland/Sweden ?
    There is one telling thing here. Imagine the winners would play Columbia then Sweden/Switzerland and the losers Japan then Brazil Mexico. Would we have seen the same teams and the same game? Genuine question. I suspect not. England did ok as they did enough not to be accused of cheating - but we have basically improved our chances tonight. It is as simple as that!
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Very average from an average team
  • Options
    Stewart said:

Fuck you Roland

Roland spends 98% of his time in Belgium....
  • Options

skywalker said:

There is one telling thing here. Imagine the winners would play Columbia then Sweden/Switzerland and the losers Japan then Brazil Mexico. Would we have seen the same teams and the same game? Genuine question. I suspect not. England did ok as they did enough not to be accused of cheating - but we have basically improved our chances tonight. It is as simple as that!
    Agreed.
  • Options
    One of Two scenarios are going to play out next week.
    Either we beat Columbia on Tuesday, or Southgate's nose will turn into a giant parsnip in the sun on Wednesday.