Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• For Charlton fans, our defense is  League 1, (other than Phillips) but pay a Championship wage and see if that improves the situation.
    Sticking with what we've got, especially at CH would be roly twunt levels of idiocy.
    Repeating the same actions in the hope of different outcomes - the whole ethos of roly twunt's first 4 years in SE7.
    Sure, throwing money at the situation guarantees nothing at all.  Replacements at CH are essential, at FB are desirable.  Doesn't matter how much we think we like Nabs or Pearce or Sols but they ain't got enough of what's required for Division 2.  We're much better served for 'front 6' players - shoring up the defense at the earliest opportunity has to be Priority 1.
  • edited January 2020
    This from the end of November didn’t exactly age well. No wonder he took himself off twitter...

• Posted this on the other thread.......

Said after the Swansea game that he wasjt injured. Did sod all during that first 45 mins & then is replaced due to a "thigh injury". Now unavailable for the next 2-3 weeks so "cant" play for us. You can bet your bottom dollar he will be fit though for whoever he signs for....(but then who is going to sign a player who is currently injured & struggled to play 90 mins when he was back from his recent injury.......perhaps a club who knows it's all baloney).

God job Lyle's off twitter atm. Expect to see that turned back on again once he's left.

Do you honestly believe we would substitute our only fit striker when we are in the middle of an injury crisis and a relegation battle? 

What are you going to post next, the queens a lizard? Paul Mccarthy died in a car crash in the 60’s and was replaced by a look a like? 
    If Taylor said his thigh had tightened up, he was in pain and couldn't run properly, are you suggesting we ignored him and insisted he played on with the injury ? (It could have happened like this, who knows)?
    Didn’t say that. I was responding to a post saying it’s all a big conspiracy theory and Taylor isn’t injured or hasn’t been injured this season
  • Hold on here ----- Bowyer and Gallen would have a very good idea what Brentford offered. Southall is an ex football agent and will know the market, it's highly UNLIKELY that between them the offer made was shit. 

No party is in the wrong here (unless Taylor isn't actually injured) the club made an offer Taylor didn't like it and rejects it.The club withdraw offer.Who has said the club won't go back with an improved offer or that after seeing what other offers are out the Taylor won't go back to the table ? 

Taylor is a strong minded guy, not afraid of saying doing what HE thinks is correct.Good for him. 

He has been good for us (never a legend though) and CAFC has been good for him. I hope it ends well for CAFC ,no reason it wont
    If RedHenry said it's a poor offer then I am inclined to believe him than most, including Richard. 

I heard it wasnt a great offer but took it with a pinch of salt but if RH claims it, I have to agree.
  • Don’t think he will struggle passing a medical, pretty sure you can buy a player who is unfit and currently injured, the medical checks for underlying long term issues, I’m lead to believe.
    He might not be injured atm. I'd be surprised if he is turning down a deal with us & hoping more with someone else knowing he is currently injured. 

Dont be surprised if he starts his first game with a new club.
  • I'm in shock as both @StigThundercock and @oohaahmortimer have dropped their normal hyperbolic style personas and posted some cracking posts.
     There are real people behind the facades.
  • edited January 2020
    Hold on here ----- Bowyer and Gallen would have a very good idea what Brentford offered. Southall is an ex football agent and will know the market, it's highly UNLIKELY that between them the offer made was shit. 

No party is in the wrong here (unless Taylor isn't actually injured) the club made an offer Taylor didn't like it and rejects it.The club withdraw offer.Who has said the club won't go back with an improved offer or that after seeing what other offers are out the Taylor won't go back to the table ? 

Taylor is a strong minded guy, not afraid of saying doing what HE thinks is correct.Good for him. 

He has been good for us (never a legend though) and CAFC has been good for him. I hope it ends well for CAFC ,no reason it wont

I should think Taylor has been offered what he is worth.  He is, after all, a player that has spent most of his career in the lower leagues and Scotland.  In ten tears no Premier League teams have been fighting to sign him.  He's a League One player that has made the step up to the Championship.  What Charlton needs going forward is a Championship striker that can make the step up to the Premier League or has already done OK in that league, so I can see why Charlton are prepared to pass on him.  There's no guarantee Taylor can make that extra step up given his past record.  He's had three decent seasons at Wimbledon and a League One promotion season and for all that only Brentford and Sunderland have shown an interest.  Players are absolutely scouted to death these days.  If he was that highly rated, bigger clubs would be after him.

I don't blame him for wanting to get paid, this is his last chance at a big contract.  I do wonder if Taylor and his agent have overestimated his value.

• Sponsored links:

• This from the end of November didn’t exactly age well. No wonder he took himself off twitter...

First time I've seen that, unbelievable Jeff
  • I'm in shock as both @StigThundercock and @oohaahmortimer have dropped their normal hyperbolic style personas and posted some cracking posts.
    I doubt that very much ! 
  • edited January 2020
    After Praising @StigThundercock, minutes ago I must pull him up on how to use the quote button. Try not to reduct the first  line and take a players name out of the brackets, otherwise it's not really my quote is it ? Have no problem when it's done for comic effect though.

For Charlton fans who complain our defense is "Shit" and League 1, (other than Phillips +Lockyer) then pay a Championship wage and see if that improves the situation.

• Name the figure then, @Redhenry. Or alternatively name a figure that you think would be reasonable for us to offer.
  • edited January 2020
    Name the figure then, @Redhenry. Or alternatively name a figure that you think would be reasonable for us to offer.
    I'm sure we read that Roland offered 3x current salary to Lyle, who was rumoured to be on 4-5k pw wasn't he? No idea of source or quality of rumour now. 

I am almost certain ESI will have offered more. 

• edited January 2020

If Taylor has rejected a good contract offer, he should be allowed to leave. We want him to stay but if he doesn't want to, we should respect that and get rid. Maybe now, maybe in the summer.

If the offer is desirory, that's poor going. He is a good striker entering the prime of his career and we can't replace him easily. It's a disgrace if it's an appaling offer and causes concern IMO.

There's no facade, all contributions sincerely made.  If some convey stronger emotion, that only reflects the feelings of the scribe.  Hyperbole would only be used for effect and I refute the implication.
  • It is what it is. I appreciate what he's done for us and his goals will be hard to replace, but we'll find a decent replacement. That's the first thing Southall did was tell Lee to buy a striker.

The fans will find a new favorite. Mine continues to be Jonny Williams, the man who took a pay cut to stay with us. While I dont blame Lyle for looking for more money, it is still refreshing to have the likes of Williams and Solly in the team who have a bit of loyalty to Charlton
  • 16k is what I was told.
    But if his agent can get him 20k elsewhere then off he goes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    My mate who works at the club says ESI's head scout says Lyle's not good enough anyway. We're signing two strikers from the Dubai third division to replace him. 
    Good old Al Driesen. Great work from his tent 😫
  • edited January 2020
    Didn't Cawley use the terms 'lucrative offer' in his article?
    lucrative offer by Charlton standards, (Bowyer said we had the 24th budget in Championship) Stoke City would offer 25k wage without any brinkmanship involved, BUT Glasgow Rangers who will offer a similar amount for a goalscorer who will fill his boots every week ( other than Celtic?)
    I wouldn't be able to watch Lyle and Joe in fried mars bar land, but it would still be better than going to the 18 clubs  in this division who would top what ESI have offered so far. 10-18k so far been mentioned. The other option would be a bottom 6 Premier club where 25-30k on a 2 year would be on offer. 

I said on January 3rd, ESI Honeymoon of 12 hours was over and they needed to get working in unison with Steve and Lee.
    I sure wasn't Jesting.
  • Chunes said:
    Have we broke the SLP?
    I've not managed to read the article from links posted.
    Went on the SLP website and its all down.
    Rich Cawley keeps mentioning the site being broken today.
    Been spammed by opponents of agents of the UAE. Bomb Iranian cultural sites today. 
  • Ah well, can't be helped. I think if ESI had taken over at the start of the season then things might have been different. As it is, we didn't let him leave in the summer, and he's then been injured for most of the season which has probably reminded him that he's only one bad injury away from his career being over. He's probably moved on in his head a while back and it would have taken a huge offer to convince him to stay. As it is ESI are only really grinding into action now as the takeover was so late, so things are as they are. A team will either come in for him now or he'll run his contract down, hopefully performing for the back end of his time at Charlton. It's all about who we bring in now. If we bring in two strikers and they're both decent then things can only improve seeing as we've had to get through most of the seaosn without Lyle as it is. This is another legacy of short, low contracts from Roland. If Lyle wants to take a move that's on offer then there's nothing stopping him in the summer so it's not like he's forcing his way out. Let's just cross our fingers that we can bring in another quality striker to replace him
  • This from the end of November didn’t exactly age well. No wonder he took himself off twitter...

First time I've seen that, unbelievable Jeff
    I just hope someone bought Lyle a new pen for Christmas!
  • In some ways it reflects well on the new consortium that they have not just come and bent over backwards to Lyle exactly what he wants,  they have clearly offered what they think he his worth, if that's not good enough, then they get someone who they feel makes better business sense. 
  • edited January 2020
    PWR everything...surely any contract negotiation is one party asks for one thing way bigger than what they would eventually accept and the other party offers something else less than what they will eventually pay. Both sides throw their toys out of the pram when they see the other sides numbers and say things like the other side is being unreasonable, that’s their final position, take it or leave it. After a suitable break they get back together and a mutually agreeable number is found. Everybody on the sidelines then wonders why they also bothered getting wound up.
  • edited January 2020
    CH4RLTON said:
    In some ways it reflects well on the new consortium that they have not just come and bent over backwards to Lyle exactly what he wants,  they have clearly offered what they think he his worth, if that's not good enough, then they get someone who they feel makes better business sense. 
    And there's always the impact on the rest of the squad of one player trebling his money.

We've been told Charlton has the lowest budget in the Championship - and the squad has been signed on contracts in accordance with that.

Right now, Bows or Southall are not going to do anything that risks the squad being unsettled. And that no doubt reflects also on contracts given to incoming signings.