Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• We know @redhenry has good sources (plural) outside the club so if he's saying it wasn't a good offer than I believe him.

Without upsetting Carlyburn and not calling anyone a w****** there are two side to the story as Cawley has just reminded everyone just as there was when Bowyer was "sacked" in the summer for being greedy.

I think this tale has a few more twists in the plot yet.
    @Redhenry said it was a "shit" offer or something equally charged. Like @blackpool72 I have heard it is 16k. I don't think that is a shit offer at all. He might get more from a nut house like Rangers (while they still have cash in the bank, anyway) but that would not make our offer "shit".

So let me ask @redhenry this. Is  the figure you heard less than 15k? Or if in fact we have all three of us heard the same figure, why would you say it is shit?
    £16k per week £832k x 3years is around £2.5m 

where we gonna get a striker as good as him all in wages and purchase price for that .

he's worth more than that to us and to himself 
    he was also offered a loyalty bonus plus a signing on fee
    so many different versions of what he has and hasn't been offered but prague or blackpool have you heard any signing on numbers 
    No mate.
    If I hear anything I'll post on here. 
  • We know @redhenry has good sources (plural) outside the club so if he's saying it wasn't a good offer than I believe him.

Without upsetting Carlyburn and not calling anyone a w****** there are two side to the story as Cawley has just reminded everyone just as there was when Bowyer was "sacked" in the summer for being greedy.

@Redhenry said it was a "shit" offer or something equally charged. Like @blackpool72 I have heard it is 16k. I don't think that is a shit offer at all. He might get more from a nut house like Rangers (while they still have cash in the bank, anyway) but that would not make our offer "shit".

So let me ask @redhenry this. Is  the figure you heard less than 15k? Or if in fact we have all three of us heard the same figure, why would you say it is shit?
    16k a week isn't really a 'shit' offer, but it might be considered shit if the guy can get 20k a week plus a 1m signing on fee from another club in the summer.
  • Sounds like an on-going negotiation to me, nothing more.  Like the Bowyer situation. Trying to avoid the B word but you rarely get anything you want in a big negotiation without (a) getting emotional and (b) walking away at least once.

Or, it's just that Lyle thinks he can not only get more money but a bigger opportunity, then it won't matter what we offer.

It's totally fair enough for him to put himself out in the market and see what he's worth.  I trust Bowyer, Gallen and the new owners to do the right thing, whether that's stump up more money or bring someone else in, albeit he is going to be very difficult to replace.
    There's a third option which is to let Lyle see out his contract. Ok, he can leave at the end of June for no fee, but assuming he's on £7k per week now it just costs us around £180k in wages. There's always a chance we can change his mind as well and I would not expect him to down tools either.

• What makes me sad is knowing how valuable he is to us but you have clubs fans like Leeds, WBA, Rangers, Brentford etc saying he isn't good enough. Hope he has a good look at stuff like that before making a decision. 

Then again if he searches his name he will also see the fans of the current club that employs him giving him pelters ffs
  • The teams interested in Lyle, not including Brentford.

I am surprised Leeds don't go for him, Bamford is a bit inconsistent and I think an in form Taylor secures them promotion, he would suit their system and style 

Leeds desperately need another striker, with Nketiah going back to Arsenal. Taylor would fit in their system quite well 
  • edited January 2020
    bobmunro said:
    Sounds like an on-going negotiation to me, nothing more.  Like the Bowyer situation. Trying to avoid the B word but you rarely get anything you want in a big negotiation without (a) getting emotional and (b) walking away at least once.

Or, it's just that Lyle thinks he can not only get more money but a bigger opportunity, then it won't matter what we offer.

It's totally fair enough for him to put himself out in the market and see what he's worth.  I trust Bowyer, Gallen and the new owners to do the right thing, whether that's stump up more money or bring someone else in, albeit he is going to be very difficult to replace.
    There's a third option which is to let Lyle see out his contract. Ok, he can leave at the end of June for no fee, but assuming he's on £7k per week now it just costs us around £180k in wages. There's always a chance we can change his mind as well and I would not expect him to down tools either.

Sadly, I get the feeling that Lyle HAS 'downed tools' with Charlton - certainly mentally and probably, therefore, also physically and with diminished commitment. I said many months ago when he was on the verge of signing for Brentford that he is (IMHO) the single most important player to play for us for many years. HOWEVER, a bit like having the perfect girlfriend, is 'she' does not want to continue the relationship you really do have to accept it and move on. Gutted to lose him though.
  • The teams interested in Lyle, not including Brentford.

I am surprised Leeds don't go for him, Bamford is a bit inconsistent and I think an in form Taylor secures them promotion, he would suit their system and style 

Leeds desperately need another striker, with Nketiah going back to Arsenal. Taylor would fit in their system quite well 
    If clubs pushing for promotion want him, quote them £10m. Test how much they are willing to pay to get to the premiership 
  • Swansea, Sheffield Wednesday, West Brom and Rangers

Parachute payments and likely to lose Ayew. Would need another striker
    Dodgy FFP compliance - a points deduction would destroy any chance of promotion, not sure why they need Lyle anyway
    Parachute payments, again not sure why they would need Lyle seeing that Charlie Austin is on the bench
    Mickey Mouse league but European football

£16k per week £832k x 3years is around £2.5m 

where we gonna get a striker as good as him all in wages and purchase price for that .

he's worth more than that to us and to himself 
    he was also offered a loyalty bonus plus a signing on fee
    so many different versions of what he has and hasn't been offered but prague or blackpool have you heard any signing on numbers 
    No mate.
    If I hear anything I'll post on here. 
    Same for me. Signing on fee not mentioned. I would have thought it would have been mentioned. 
  • Name the figure then, @Redhenry. Or alternatively name a figure that you think would be reasonable for us to offer.
    He should be on minimum 10k the basic is offered is nowhere near that...
  • Sponsored links:

• Redhenry said:
    Name the figure then, @Redhenry. Or alternatively name a figure that you think would be reasonable for us to offer.
    Shameful 
    the old you keep us up bonus 
    win fa cup bonus 
    win champions league bonus 
  • I learnt something else recently, maybe others heard it years ago, but apparently in Fergie's reign at Man U, no player was allowed to earn more than he was. That makes a lot of sense overall. Undermines a manager's authority if you have players swanning around earning more than him. 

Maybe ESI are trying to get some kind of salary discipline in place, and maybe that's one of their rules. 

In the "real world" of management recruitment, which I work in now, a good company aims to pay its key people a salary that may not be best in market, but is only bettered by other companies where the risk to the employee of going there is higher. The player market is much wilder than in this real world, of course, but some sort of discipline like that has to be imposed by owners who want a well run club. As others have said, there are risks to Lyle going to those other clubs that have been mentioned, especially because he isn't a benchwarmer, that guy wants to play every week. 

There is of course another element. If he accepted our 16k offer, it may not be him that loses out so much compared to if he went off to Rangers. It would be his agent.
  • Redhenry said:
    Name the figure then, @Redhenry. Or alternatively name a figure that you think would be reasonable for us to offer.
    Well one of us has had a porkie told to us, then. 
  • Redhenry said:
    Well one of us has had a porkie told to us, then. 
    Yep.
    Totally not what I've been told 
  • Sorry but its you :(
  • Redhenry said:
    So he was offered not much more than what Roland likely offered then.
  • Redhenry said:
    Sorry but its you :(
    You are definitely one of the posters on here who is in the know. 
    Are you saying Taylor has been offered less than 10k a week.
    Staggering if true. 
  • Redhenry said:
    Redhenry's mole must be Lyle haha
  • Swansea, Sheffield Wednesday, West Brom and Rangers

Parachute payments and likely to lose Ayew. Would need another striker
    Dodgy FFP compliance - a points deduction would destroy any chance of promotion, not sure why they need Lyle anyway
    Parachute payments, again not sure why they would need Lyle seeing that Charlie Austin is on the bench
    Mickey Mouse league but European football
    As much as we can point out how shite Scottish football is I'd imagine Rangers would be very attractive to Lyle. Reckon he'd score a good few goals and have 45k people cheering his name. Something that would definitely appeal to his ego.

Part of me says keep him until the summer, see where the land lies and how ESI would want to invest dependent where we find ourselves as a club. I'd love Lyle to do a Bauer and give everything until the end of the season. Dont think anyone would then deny him the chance to move on. The other part though would think 2 chances to move being blocked would have a significant impact on his mindset and he'd become a disruption to then team.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    Less than £10 k does doing low for a semi proven championship goalscorer.

RH says it's nowhere near!

The mind boggles
  • edited January 2020

• Cant say I'm surprised, I seem to remember an interview with Lyle where he said he doesn't support a team or watch any football at home as it doesn't interest him because football is a job to him, he will always go to whichever bidder is offering the most.

I wish him well, enjoyed watching him play and will never forget his part in us getting promotion but there were better players before him and I'm sure there will be more after.
  • Isn’t his current deal structured around bonuses with Sunderland offering him a better basic than we did when we were both in for him before he came here?

or am I making that up?

• Redhenry said:
    Well, OK, we both have sources to respect and protect. So I will just say that I totally agree with you that 10k minimum is his current salary value. That being the case I find it difficult to believe that he hasn't been offered more, because I believe these guys have a good handle on overall salaries in this division and across UK football. Tabling such an offer would almost have been a waste of everyone's time.
  • So it's already been confirmed that Lyle has been offered a significant wage increase. In this day and age significant isn't 9k for a championship player, wasn't even Bauer offered 10k or thereabouts under Roland? 

Someone has been misinformed one way or another.

I personally don't believe at all that new owners have come in, paid over the odds for our club, banged the drum about making us great etc and then offered our star player under 10k a week. That sort of wage wouldn't even see us even be play off hopefuls let alone return to the premier league. 

I have a hunch this is more about his personal ambition/looking at his biological clock rather than it being a money issue.
  • Oh well, it’s football. He’s always worked his bollocks off when he’s played and he’s scored bundles. 

ESI need to really back Bowyer and Gallen this window now. I’m really not keen on the Blackpool lad but then what do I know.
    You're not alone, decent league 1 player but doesn't look championship level from the few clips & goals that I have seen. Not saying he couldn't become one but we are desperate for a proven goalscorer at this level NOW. Of course where we find one is a little tricky.
  • If true, then it's certainly a way if they want him to go. The plot thickens!
  • Wasn't a signing on fee part of the package he was offered?