Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• cafctom said:
    Rossman92 said:
    It is what it is. I appreciate what he's done for us and his goals will be hard to replace, but we'll find a decent replacement. That's the first thing Southall did was tell Lee to buy a striker.

The fans will find a new favorite. Mine continues to be Jonny Williams, the man who took a pay cut to stay with us. While I dont blame Lyle for looking for more money, it is still refreshing to have the likes of Williams and Solly in the team who have a bit of loyalty to Charlton
    Seen it suggested a few times that Jonny Williams “took a paycut” to stay with us.

That isn’t strictly true. 

Yes, he is earning less money than he was on for his previous contract. But he didn’t ‘choose’ us over an alternative option that would have given him more money. He took time in the Summer to evaluate his options and see what he could get - and no club was going to offer him the money that he was on previously, and hence he re-signed with us.

Very different to ‘taking a pay cut to be with Charlton’

I assumed it to mean that JW took less money to be with Charlton than he was being offered by other clubs, but have nothing to base that on apart from rumours
  • Everyone who joins us does it for the love of Charlton and nothing whatsoever to do with us offering more money than elsewhere .
    Everyone who leaves us , that we don’t want to , is a greedy money grabbing so and so 
    Absolutely  ;)
  • edited January 2020
    Just putting this out there, probably a load of crap but anyway.......

Could be that posters itk are being told different things.....maybe to smoke out their sources as Southall realises there are leaks in the camp. It seems @Redhenry has been told different to what has been told to @PragueAddick or @blackpool72 .

Out of the teams mentioned earlier I can't see WBA wanting him as they have enough decent strikers & Taylor is a first choice man.....not a bench warmer. Sheff W are not much a better bet then us (football wise). Not sure if Brentford now need a main striker but at least have a decent shout of the play-offs. Leeds only have 1 striker (Bamford) and he isn't enough to get them promoted. Rangers will pay silly money (fee & wages) and can give Taylor European  football. Out of the 4 teams my money is on Leeds first & then Rangers. 

We dont need to sell Taylor so if he doesnt sign a new contract we could just keep him & let him run down his contract. Cant see us getting much more than £2m for him so unless that money is needed for other purchases then just keep him. As the statement said, he's not on a transfer list but we will listen to offers. A decent offer & he goes......a cheeky one & he stays.

Finally his injury. If he is as injured as made out (ie, cant play for 2-3 weeks) then will any club be interested ?? Will he pass a medical...?  Will be very interesting how this all pans out.
  • Apparently we offered 18k a week and a 3 year deal plus some bonuses. 

To those saying he will get double/treble at other clubs I can’t see many clubs least of all rangers paying much more than us, for a player who despite what people say isn’t fully proved at this level. 

The Facebook group is good for a chuckle I think Some fans are going to have banners out saying good luck Lyle, he’s a football player he’s good at his job that’s it. 
  • At least we don't have to sell unless an adequate replacement is in.
  • No one knows what Bowyer's plans are. Maybe he don't think LT is worth more that £1m over 2 years.
  • Ferryman said:
    At least we don't have to sell unless an adequate replacement is in.
    This although a striker that wants away I can see being “injured” a bit more often 
  • Sponsored links:

•  Sheff W are not much a better bet then us (football wise). 

Sheffield Wednesday are currently 8th,  2 points outside the play offs and with a goal diff superior to everyone but the top 3,  in spite of having lost their last 3 league games !!

They are currently a much much better bet than us football wise
  •  Sheff W are not much a better bet then us (football wise). 

Sheffield Wednesday are currently 8th,  2 points outside the play offs and with a goal diff superior to everyone but the top 3,  in spite of having lost their last 3 league games !!

They are currently a much much better bet than us football wise

Although still with the potential for a huge points deduction.
  • Redhenry said:
    we offered a miserly amount to Taylor, don't blame him tbh
    18k ain’t measly mate
    I heard 16k.
    Either way for once I think Redhenry has got this one wrong. 
  • Redhenry said:
    Sorry but its you :(
    Well, OK, we both have sources to respect and protect. So I will just say that I totally agree with you that 10k minimum is his current salary value. That being the case I find it difficult to believe that he hasn't been offered more, because I believe these guys have a good handle on overall salaries in this division and across UK football. Tabling such an offer would almost have been a waste of everyone's time.
    Trouble is, giving Taylor what we think he wants is going to bust the club's wage structure wide open.
    And that could cause player discontent within the squad.

Maybe the offer to Taylor comprised only a modest increase in his basic wage - but big signing-on fee and bonuses compensated for that?

Plus a 3 year+ contract would take him past his 33rd birthday.
    That's decent security for a player of his age.

None of that would severely threaten the club's existing wage structure.
    That could change in the summer, anyway.

And nothing to prevent Taylor being offered an improved offer at that time.

• I’m starting to think a few red herrings r being slung out - that or some r factoring the re signing on fee into the weekly wage and others aren’t maybe ???
  • Sponsored links:

• @Redhenry you're by far the most itk on here, but I think your guy has missed a 1 off the front of his figure here... Not in a million years has he been offered "nowhere near" 10k. If what you're saying is indeed correct then I think they may have bigger and better targets in mind and the offer is a bit of a smokescreen
  • cafctom said:
    Rossman92 said:
    It is what it is. I appreciate what he's done for us and his goals will be hard to replace, but we'll find a decent replacement. That's the first thing Southall did was tell Lee to buy a striker.

The fans will find a new favorite. Mine continues to be Jonny Williams, the man who took a pay cut to stay with us. While I dont blame Lyle for looking for more money, it is still refreshing to have the likes of Williams and Solly in the team who have a bit of loyalty to Charlton
    Seen it suggested a few times that Jonny Williams “took a paycut” to stay with us.

That isn’t strictly true. 

Yes, he is earning less money than he was on for his previous contract. But he didn’t ‘choose’ us over an alternative option that would have given him more money. He took time in the Summer to evaluate his options and see what he could get - and no club was going to offer him the money that he was on previously, and hence he re-signed with us.

Very different to ‘taking a pay cut to be with Charlton’
    I was told different on Williams. Technically no formal offer was made but a club got in contact regarding a deal. It involved a pay as you play bonus but the information I received was that if he played 30 games he would have doubled his annual salary with us. 
  • ross1 said:
    I know some people do get interesting facts about Charlton before the rest of us and thank you to them, but who in Charlton employ would actually know what money has been discussed with Taylor...........Southall, Bowyer, Gallen, Taylor and his agent, I cannot see any of them discussing it with Charlton supporters, so where does this information come from.........and I am not saying those who seem ITK do not know someone who tells, but I cannot see wages being discussed by all and sundry. Time may prove me wrong
    The player themselves usually gabber about what dough they're on. 

Not saying it LT in this instance, but it ain't unusual
  • Wasn't Bauer offered 7k?
  • Redhenry said:
    we offered a miserly amount to Taylor, don't blame him tbh
    18k ain’t measly mate
    I heard 16k.
    Either way for once I think Redhenry has got this one wrong. 
    It was a very good offer and very generous imo 
  • Lots of different figures being thrown about for Taylor's contract. Does he even know what it is he turned down! Did the contract need a magnifying glass
  • ross1 said:
    I know some people do get interesting facts about Charlton before the rest of us and thank you to them, but who in Charlton employ would actually know what money has been discussed with Taylor...........Southall, Bowyer, Gallen, Taylor and his agent, I cannot see any of them discussing it with Charlton supporters, so where does this information come from.........and I am not saying those who seem ITK do not know someone who tells, but I cannot see wages being discussed by all and sundry. Time may prove me wrong
    Been supporting this club since the 60s.
    During that time I've seen us play at over 80 different grounds. 
    I have met and spoken to more managers and directors than I can count. 
    If I post a comment concerning what is happening at the moment I do so in good faith with what I have been told.
    16k was what he has been offered. 
    In @blackpool72 we trust .

:-)
  • ross1 said:
    Been supporting this club since the 60s.
    During that time I've seen us play at over 80 different grounds. 
    I have met and spoken to more managers and directors than I can count. 
    If I post a comment concerning what is happening at the moment I do so in good faith with what I have been told.
    16k was what he has been offered. 
    In @blackpool72 we trust .

:-)
    Love you too xx