Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• If Lyle does leave I hope Matt’s got a stonker of a signing already lined up to replace him, otherwise he will have really dropped a goolie.
    I think the blame should lie with the Belgian.
  • Football fans know a lot about nothing. 
  • We know @redhenry has good sources (plural) outside the club so if he's saying it wasn't a good offer than I believe him.

Without upsetting Carlyburn and not calling anyone a w****** there are two side to the story as Cawley has just reminded everyone just as there was when Bowyer was "sacked" in the summer for being greedy.

I think this tale has a few more twists in the plot yet.
    @Redhenry said it was a "shit" offer or something equally charged. Like @blackpool72 I have heard it is 16k. I don't think that is a shit offer at all. He might get more from a nut house like Rangers (while they still have cash in the bank, anyway) but that would not make our offer "shit".

So let me ask @redhenry this. Is  the figure you heard less than 15k? Or if in fact we have all three of us heard the same figure, why would you say it is shit?
    16k a week isn't really a 'shit' offer, but it might be considered shit if the guy can get 20k a week plus a 1m signing on fee from another club in the summer.
    Life changing transfer for him, good luck to him if it comes off.
  • Apparently we offered 18k a week and a 3 year deal plus some bonuses. 

To those saying he will get double/treble at other clubs I can’t see many clubs least of all rangers paying much more than us, for a player who despite what people say isn’t fully proved at this level. 

The Facebook group is good for a chuckle I think Some fans are going to have banners out saying good luck Lyle, he’s a football player he’s good at his job that’s it. 
    Not far off what I have been told.
  • ross1 said:
    I know some people do get interesting facts about Charlton before the rest of us and thank you to them, but who in Charlton employ would actually know what money has been discussed with Taylor...........Southall, Bowyer, Gallen, Taylor and his agent, I cannot see any of them discussing it with Charlton supporters, so where does this information come from.........and I am not saying those who seem ITK do not know someone who tells, but I cannot see wages being discussed by all and sundry. Time may prove me wrong
    Been supporting this club since the 60s.
    During that time I've seen us play at over 80 different grounds. 
    I have met and spoken to more managers and directors than I can count. 
    If I post a comment concerning what is happening at the moment I do so in good faith with what I have been told.
    16k was what he has been offered. 
    Go and have a whisky mate.
  • ross1 said:
    I know some people do get interesting facts about Charlton before the rest of us and thank you to them, but who in Charlton employ would actually know what money has been discussed with Taylor...........Southall, Bowyer, Gallen, Taylor and his agent, I cannot see any of them discussing it with Charlton supporters, so where does this information come from.........and I am not saying those who seem ITK do not know someone who tells, but I cannot see wages being discussed by all and sundry. Time may prove me wrong
    If I post a comment concerning what is happening at the moment I do so in good faith with what I have been told.
    If you're buying I'll have a large one 
  • If we had a stronger squad or make some early signings then I could see the no contract situation being more positive as a good champ striker may see it as an attractive place to get 1st team football and push up the league next year. Signings would encourage Lyle and we may, dare I say it, end up with a couple of decent goal scorers signed up by the end of the window. Wishful thinking and that!
  • ross1 said:
    If you're buying I'll have a large one 
    See you in The Oak for 2 on Saturday then......you greedy c*** :)
  • Sponsored links:

• You're going to buy him 2? That is generous of you Elfsborg!
  • Maybe to Lyle it's the lure of fresh pastures - rather than just more money for the sake of more money?

Sure, a good contract is important at his age.
    But he's never stayed long at any one club and maybe he's just done at Charlton ......needs a new opportunity with a different challenge to keep his interest.?

After all he's told us he's not a fan, it's only a job to him.

• aliwibble said:
    You're going to buy him 2? That is generous of you Elfsborg!
    He has a choice. 
    Buy me a large one or I kill the little shit😁
  • edited January 2020
    Redhenry said:
    we offered a miserly amount to Taylor, don't blame him tbh
    18k ain’t measly mate
    Exactly the figure that was being banded around the week before ESI completed the takeover. As was the fact he had rejected the deal without negotiating.

I'm not stupid enough to think that ESI won't be spinning this, but equally I refuse to accept that he has been offered less than Naby Sarr earns.
    Earns?!
    Assume you are asking what Sarr is on? The discussion around Taylor and a new deal also raised the wages of others within the squad. I have no idea as to the validity of this source (a few of us were told on the day of the takeover to watch the website for news at 2.05, and several other snippets have come to fruition) but the word was that no-one but Sarr was on more than 5k a week. Naby is apparently on 10k, which is a hangover from the deal he got when he originally signed.

I do wonder what unrest it would have caused had Taylor signed a new deal for the alleged 18k a week? Would Mr Southall have had a procession of pissed off players banging on his door demanding more money? would prospective signings all be adding a zero to their weekly wage demands? Who knows.

Ultimately, it is pretty clear to me that Taylor will be gone by the end of this season at the latest, part of me hopes we get an offer and he goes now. It has the potential to rumble on and again become the Lye Taylor show.

• edited January 2020
    cafctom said:
    Rossman92 said:
    It is what it is. I appreciate what he's done for us and his goals will be hard to replace, but we'll find a decent replacement. That's the first thing Southall did was tell Lee to buy a striker.

The fans will find a new favorite. Mine continues to be Jonny Williams, the man who took a pay cut to stay with us. While I dont blame Lyle for looking for more money, it is still refreshing to have the likes of Williams and Solly in the team who have a bit of loyalty to Charlton
    Seen it suggested a few times that Jonny Williams “took a paycut” to stay with us.

That isn’t strictly true. 

Yes, he is earning less money than he was on for his previous contract. But he didn’t ‘choose’ us over an alternative option that would have given him more money. He took time in the Summer to evaluate his options and see what he could get - and no club was going to offer him the money that he was on previously, and hence he re-signed with us.

Very different to ‘taking a pay cut to be with Charlton’
    I was told different on Williams. Technically no formal offer was made but a club got in contact regarding a deal. It involved a pay as you play bonus but the information I received was that if he played 30 games he would have doubled his annual salary with us. 

I heard that the bonus was for playing five games but Jonny was holding out for three.
  • aliwibble said:
    He has a choice. 
    Peanuts or crisps as well mate?
  • Redhenry said:
    we offered a miserly amount to Taylor, don't blame him tbh
    18k ain’t measly mate
    Exactly the figure that was being banded around the week before ESI completed the takeover. As was the fact he had rejected the deal without negotiating.

I'm not stupid enough to think that ESI won't be spinning this, but equally I refuse to accept that he has been offered less than Naby Sarr earns.
    Earns?!
    Assume you are asking what Sarr is on? The discussion around Taylor and a new deal also raised the wages of others within the squad. I have no idea as to the validity of this source (a few of us were told on the day of the takeover to watch the website for news at 2.05, and several other snippets have come to fruition) but the word was that no-one but Sarr was on more than 5k a week. Naby is apparently on 10k, which is a hangover from the deal he got when he originally signed.

I do wonder what unrest it would have caused had Taylor signed a new deal for the alleged 18k a week? Would Mr Southall have had a procession of pissed off players banging on his door demanding more money? would prospective signings all be adding a zero to their weekly wage demands? Who knows.

Ultimately, it is pretty clear that Taylor to me that Taylor will be gone by the end of this season at the latest, part of me hopes we get an offer and he goes now. It has the potential to rumble on and again become the Lye Taylor show.

It is difficult as you need to pay the market rate, we have not been for the past how many years.

Teixeira and Sarr aside.
  • With our current squad, of the players we actually own you'd expect Lyle to earn the most, the star striker (and general talisman) will always command more money then the rest of the team

How much more than the others he should be on is the tricky one...
  • aliwibble said:
    He has a choice. 
    Only 2 lol's so far is very disappointing, that crack was worthy of a promote.
  • Is English your second or third language Elfsborg? "That crack was worthy of a promote". !!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    How bad is his current injury?  It will surely have a bearing on any transfer in this window?

A younger player with an injury might be taken on, but he is pushing 30 and has spent a lot of this season in the treatment room, so he might find it harder than he thinks to move on during this window.

As others have said, he has done great for the club and he does not deserve any grief from us fans, if he wants to move on.

Maybe the win-win for both club and Lyle is that he sees out his contract, scores another 10 goals + to help us stay up and he gets a hero's farewell in the summer.

Charlton are on the way up and ESI need to plan longer term - Lyle is replaceable, like any other player 

• I wished we'd signed him on a longer contract or even extended it (if Roland would have) half way through last season.

I suspect though, even if the contract was longer, we may be in a similar situation to that we currently are in.

• This is Lyle’s last chance for a big payday. If he can’t agree a deal with us then he goes elsewhere. If he doesn’t go this window he’s off on a free this summer. If we get an acceptable offer this window and Bow gets the funds to reinvest then its probably best he goes. Won’t get me complaining. He did the same at Wimbledon and we benefitted. It happens.
  • edited January 2020
    This is an entertaining thread, miles better than Eastenders.

There seems to be a bit of posturing and dancing round handbags going on at the moment, and that’s  just on here!
  • With our current squad, of the players we actually own you'd expect Lyle to earn the most, the star striker (and general talisman) will always command more money then the rest of the team

How much more than the others he should be on is the tricky one...
    Not just that but players have signed a contract for £xx per week......they just cant "ask" for more just because a team mate has negotiated a new contract because his is due to run out in 6 months time.Once their existing contract is up (or renewed arbitrarily by the club) then they can ask for a better deal than the one they are currently on.

One thing about Matt Southall.....he knows a damn site more than RD or KM ever did about players contracts.
  • This is Lyle’s last chance for a big payday. If he can’t agree a deal with us then he goes elsewhere. If he doesn’t go this window he’s off on a free this summer. If we get an acceptable offer this window and Bow gets the funds to reinvest then its probably best he goes. Won’t get me complaining. He did the same at Wimbledon and we benefitted. It happens.
    I'd rather he stayed then & saw out his contract. We arent going to get much for him this month due to clubs being able to get him for free next season AND supposedly injured. He is worth more to us over the coming 4 months than a measly million or two 
  • In no Seer, but I thought prechristmas he was off in January, and this would blow up and escalate, and whilst I’ll have a heavy heart, I bear him no ill or malice, and hope he’s happy and healthy, cmon people life’s too short, to get too worked up, we’re better than that team down the road that loves river island.

I’d love Lyle to stay and see the job through, become a club legend , and continue on our journey of reset as a club to continue.

Be proud, be loud, and make sure you get your touches down to the valley because the boys really need our support, and we could do with something out of that one.

Kay Sara , Sara ( my version) what ever will be , will be.

• Can’t blame him for going there if true