Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour de France (2023 from p54)

Comments

• Options
    Christ just seen the result!!... WTF happened to Pinot!!
  • Options
    Tactical fuckup 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Tactical fuckup 
    Was it similar to a few years ago when you had Crosswinds that allowed Cavendish and the whole of Team Columbia to get into the split and so dominate the Sprint?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Tactical fuckup 
    Was it similar to a few years ago when you had Crosswinds that allowed Cavendish and the whole of Team Columbia to get into the split and so dominate the Sprint?
    EF tried to take advantage when crosswinds coming up, failed. Alaphilippe and Quintana had matched their efforts, and took over. Then Decueninck and Ineos took it on beautifully. 

Many good GC riders missed the break, went into the red trying to catch up, got close and then collapsed. 

Great finish for the sprinters that made it there. 

Very unexpected day and thoroughly entertaining. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Ah Pinot. Don't ever change.  :D

Told you he'd have a jour sans. Even Quintana made that split ffs! 

Love crosswinds. They're one of the reasons *real* bike racing takes place in Belgium between February and April

Incidentally, I've raced in Albi. GF World champs two years ago. Was in touch with the front group up the top of the first climb, then nearly died on the descent when a Swedish chopper cut across my line on a blind bend and sent me into a barbed wire fence. Was about two feet from a 300 foot sheer drop. Other than that it's a lovely place  :D
  • Options
    Who is your tip to win so far @Leroy Ambrose?
  • Options
    Ineos are so strong again, it's insane. I think G will once again win it, my money is on an Ineos dominated break up Val Thoren to break French hearts 💕 
  • Options
    No it wasn't as agressive and obvious as Team Columbia in 2009.  Fdj just weren't organised, they had time to move up, or form after EF hit the front.  They were all dotted around the back of the peloton, but didn't get together even when EF gave up.  

It's easy to say, but when EF pulled off most top teams should have smelt danger.  It was very strange.
  • Options
    Who is your tip to win so far @Leroy Ambrose?
    On the evidence so far, its pretty open - but Thomas looks stronger than Bernal. First mountain stage will give a better indicator. Still think Quintana, Kruijswijk, Yates and maybe a couple of others have the chance of breaking Skineos' hold on the race, but nothing I've seen so far leads me to think that will happen. Pleased that Quintana looks good though - and good to see Rowe dish out a bollocking to Valverde soft-pedalling through about 25k out 😂

• Options
    ColinTat said:
    No it wasn't as agressive and obvious as Team Columbia in 2009.  Fdj just weren't organised, they had time to move up, or form after EF hit the front.  They were all dotted around the back of the peloton, but didn't get together even when EF gave up.  

It's easy to say, but when EF pulled off most top teams should have smelt danger.  It was very strange.

Yeah I watched on the Highlights in the end

Was extremely poor tactically from FDJ, as Thomas said; EF had a go, then Ineos, THEN Quick-Step went

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Class from Simon Yates

First British stage winner this year
  • Options
    Be interesting to hear what has happened between Rohan Dennis and his team though as not the clearest of statements... Especially with the TT tomorrow which he'd have been a favourite to win

• Options
    Class from Simon Yates

First British stage winner this year
    Very cool finish, excellent 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    This TT is remarkable from Alaphilippe!!

Can he keep up this pace ahead of Thomas and so win this stage
  • Options
    This TT is remarkable from Alaphilippe!!

Can he keep up this pace ahead of Thomas and so win this stage
    The man is phenomenal 
  • Options
    Jesus wept!!!... to beat Thomas by that time is crazy!!!
  • Options
    blimey, that was astonishing from alaphilippe, one of the best rides in an individual time trial in a very long time
  • Options
    What a TT. Got to make him near-favourite now.
  • Options
    Wonder what Vayer and Jalabert will say about that?  😒
  • Options
    Cant wait for the Tourmalet tomorrow

Its between these two now!!

Still wonder if the way Ineos control the peleton will be too much for Alaphilippe but then again I thought Thomas would take about 30secs today!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Substances?
  • Options
    Alaphilippe has precisely zero chance of winning the tour, or getting anywhere near the podium for that matter. 

More to the point what do you have to say about that? 🤗
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Alaphilippe has precisely zero chance of winning the tour, or getting anywhere near the podium for that matter. 

Only that we've seen shit like this before. And that the equivalent to LouLou beating Thomas out of sight in an ITT would be Bernal winning a bunch sprint... 
  • Options
    Substances?
    14 seconds put into Geraint Thomas? From a man who's never even come close to a performance within 10% of that? Then to get off the bike and celebrate like he did, rather than collapse on the floor in a heaving quivering wreck... 

Eerily reminiscent of Floyd Landis smashing that stage to bits a few years back then jumping off the bike looking like he'd been out on the club run
    Yeah my thoughts too

Still our riders have had a lot of mud thrown our way of late so for now probably best to stay quiet and let it play out

Sadly wont be surprised if something comes to light though as any accusations against our riders have been without merit
  • Options
    People have to remember too that Thomas is one of the best at TT... Has won endless gold medals on the track at this level and is on a par with Bradley Wiggins at the distance

Alaphilippe was six seconds ahead going into the last km but crossed the line a further eight seconds ahead

Nah sorry, want to believe it but have a nagging doubt!!
  • Options
    People have to remember too that Thomas is one of the best at TT... Has won endless gold medals on the track at this level and is on a par with Bradley Wiggins at the distance

Alaphilippe was six seconds ahead going into the last km but crossed the line a further eight seconds ahead

I like Alaphilippe a lot and, like many, have predicted his emergence into a GC rider at some stage ... but not yet. 

I hope there’s nothing, but the jump in performance is, as I said above, phenomenal. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    stonemuse said:

I like Alaphilippe a lot and, like many, have predicted his emergence into a GC rider at some stage ... but not yet. 

I hope there’s nothing, but the jump in performance is, as I said above, phenomenal. 
    Yeah Id love to see a French winner... Its like the Cubs winning the World Series but not like this

Of course it could be nothing, Froome at the Giro is another example of exceptional rides but at least with him we know he can produce it

Id love to know how far behind Alaphilippe was in the TT last year (Was 3mins 42secs behind Thomas last year)...
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    stonemuse said:

Yeah Id love to see a French winner... Its like the Cubs winning the World Series but not like this

Of course it could be nothing, Froome at the Giro is another example of exceptional rides but at least with him we know he can produce it

Id love to know how far behind Alaphilippe was in the TT last year (Was 3mins 42secs behind Thomas last year)...
    Just checked ... 3.42!!!!!

you beat me to it :-)
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Only that we've seen shit like this before. And that the equivalent to LouLou beating Thomas out of sight in an ITT would be Bernal winning a bunch sprint... 
    My outside bet only because I sold him the gear  >:)