Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour de France (2023 from p54)

Comments

• Options
    Hard to believe today's stage.

And, I'm not sure that I do...
  • Options

It’s starting to look a bit silly, lots of people have been muttering things for the last few years, but on the whole no more than that. Questions are now started to be asked in the open and rightly so
  • Options
    Well done the Yates brothers … as for the yellow jersey, he somehow makes the impossible happen, I wonder how lol
  • Options
    Kudos to Simon Geschke today. Rode pretty much the whole stage today on his own, just in front of the broom wagon. Finished last but just inside the time limit. No tv cameras on the back of the race but that must have been a brutal ride.
  • Options

It’s starting to look a bit silly, lots of people have been muttering things for the last few years, but on the whole no more than that. Questions are now started to be asked in the open and rightly so
    I'm sorry you can't dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles...
  • Options
    How does the drug testing work? Is it random or do they regularly test the leaders & stage winners?
  • Options
    I think the Stage winner and Yellow Jersey get tested after every Stage

The trouble is, the Testers only know how to catch the shit they know about, its one way Armstrong got away with it for so long (Someone correct me if I'm wrong here) - Pogacar and Vingegaard could well be taking something that Doping Control havent caught up with yet, because they tend to be one step behind.

On another note... I see that Wout van Aert has abandoned the Tour to go and be with his pregnant wife.

Proof that this year is well and truly over.
  • Options
    What a breakaway!!
  • Options
    Great finish 
  • Options
    Lots of interesting stuff in today's stage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    Lots of interesting stuff in today's stage.
    How do you mean? - I missed it with Charlton and the F1 on
  • Options
    Terrific stage, Pinot was wonderful.   

Another good learning experience for Pidcock and well ridden.  

Really enjoy watching the Yates brothers working together.  

Downside was seeing Kuss crash, one of my favourite riders … but thankfully he finished.  

Seems fairly certain Movistar making a move for Rodriguez next season with Ineos trying for Evenepoel again … gonna be interesting 
  • Options
    Congratulations to Adam Yates who eventually will become Britain’s 4th winner of The Tour de France when the names above him get crossed out
  • Options
    edited July 2023

I'm sorry you can't dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles...
    Hans Christian Anderson was Danish. Good to see the Danes are still writing fairy tales.
  • Options
    Congratulations to Adam Yates who eventually will become Britain’s 4th winner of The Tour de France when the names above him get crossed out
    Or Britain's first winner of the tour? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    You are naughty!!
  • Options

The trouble is, the Testers only know how to catch the shit they know about, its one way Armstrong got away with it for so long (Someone correct me if I'm wrong here) - Pogacar and Vingegaard could well be taking something that Doping Control havent caught up with yet, because they tend to be one step behind.

On another note... I see that Wout van Aert has abandoned the Tour to go and be with his pregnant wife.

Armstrong primarily micro-dosed with EPO which boosts the red blood cells in your body enabling it to carry more oxygen. It's difficult to catch EPO (especially at the level he was taking it) as the gains are minimal, the anti-doping testers would have had to catch him almost at the same time he took it. There was also some steroid use and blood transfusions. 

But other than that, yes WADA are always playing catch up with the dopers, they usually freeze blood samples. In years to come when they have worked out how to detect currently unidentified steroids they can test the samples again and if necessary apply retrospective bans/DQs. 

Pogacar might be doping (who knows) but his performance in this year's Tour suggests that he's probably clean. He had several tough days in the Alps stages, rode a good Time Trial and then blew up in the stage after the TT which said to me that'd finally run out of energy after several days of hard riding. Vingegaard however easily kept pace with Pogacar in the Alps before blowing him away in the TT and then rode away from him in the stage after the TT. Where did he find that kind of energy? The Jumbo-Visma Postal team have a few questions to answer here...

• Options
    edited July 2023
    FSLN1 said:

Armstrong primarily micro-dosed with EPO which boosts the red blood cells in your body enabling it to carry more oxygen. It's difficult to catch EPO (especially at the level he was taking it) as the gains are minimal, the anti-doping testers would have had to catch him almost at the same time he took it. There was also some steroid use and blood transfusions. 

But other than that, yes WADA are always playing catch up with the dopers, they usually freeze blood samples. In years to come when they have worked out how to detect currently unidentified steroids they can test the samples again and if necessary apply retrospective bans/DQs. 

Pogacar might be doping (who knows) but his performance in this year's Tour suggests that he's probably clean. He had several tough days in the Alps stages, rode a good Time Trial and then blew up in the stage after the TT which said to me that'd finally run out of energy after several days of hard riding. Vingegaard however easily kept pace with Pogacar in the Alps before blowing him away in the TT and then rode away from him in the stage after the TT. Where did he find that kind of energy? The Jumbo-Visma Postal team have a few questions to answer here...

Vingegaard is doing the Vuelta so he clearly hasn't "emptied the tank".
  • Options
    Pogacar is bloody brilliant this Stage!! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Maybe third
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent... Glad Philipsen didnt win on the Champs after his antics this Tour.
  • Options
    Shame to see Sagan retire, but the time is right, what a career and what a bike rider. If you’ve never seen it worth watching him bunny hop his bike onto the bonnet of his team car then up onto the roof rack on YouTube 
    Isnt he off to do Mountain Biking in the States or something - Dont think he's retiring from Cycling completely
  • Options
    Shame to see Sagan retire, but the time is right, what a career and what a bike rider. If you’ve never seen it worth watching him bunny hop his bike onto the bonnet of his team car then up onto the roof rack on YouTube 
    Isnt he off to do Mountain Biking in the States or something - Dont think he's retiring from Cycling completely
    Yes I think you’re right, but retiring from the road scene. Remember those wheelies going up climbs, a real entertainer as well as a very talented rider
  • Options
    Mountain bikes in the Olympics is his next target. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Maybe third
    I suspect he is as clean as one of them.
  • Options
    There's a lot of really good cyclists retiring this year. Quite a few I'll miss.

I really wished that Pinot could have won yesterday (one of the reasons I really like the French teams is that there's no way they've managed effective doping, just as soon as a rider looks to be doing reasonably well, they just collapse).  I've never fully got over Tommy Voeckler.

After what was undoubtedly a thrilling Tour, I hate the way that I'm questioning whether so many of those involved had their performances artificially enhanced.

Someone I follow on Twitter was suggesting that pro-cycling needs to introduce a salary cap - a very few teams have the outstanding riders (Jumbo Visma probably had 3 or 4 that would have been team leaders anywhere else), and I find the idea tempting.
  • Options
    There's a lot of really good cyclists retiring this year. Quite a few I'll miss.

I really wished that Pinot could have won yesterday (one of the reasons I really like the French teams is that there's no way they've managed effective doping, just as soon as a rider looks to be doing reasonably well, they just collapse).  I've never fully got over Tommy Voeckler.

After what was undoubtedly a thrilling Tour, I hate the way that I'm questioning whether so many of those involved had their performances artificially enhanced.

Someone I follow on Twitter was suggesting that pro-cycling needs to introduce a salary cap - a very few teams have the outstanding riders (Jumbo Visma probably had 3 or 4 that would have been team leaders anywhere else), and I find the idea tempting.
    What's the goal?  To create better racing?  This year almost ever stage has been thrilling even if Yellow, White and Green were settled days, if not weeks ago.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I might be in for a whoosh here, but doesn't Welsh count as British?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I might be in for a whoosh here, but doesn't Welsh count as British?
    Yes and it was not 100% serious.