Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fans Forum resuming 11 July

Comments

• Options
    Pico said:

I’ll go further. If anyone who attended this shite meeting is not now informing us all of what was said then they are just club patsy’s. Our club is at risk here. Man up ffs.

Well, thanks a lot, Shooters Hill Guru.

I went to the meeting at 3pm and it finished soon after 4pm. It was agreed that a summary of the meeting would be produced by Tom Rubashow (TR) from his recording and he would send it to me for comment (this is a role I have fulfilled on behalf of the FF for the last year or so). That seems to me to be an example of good practice which in my experience is common procedure in producing meeting records.
    ( I am a great admirer of Fulham Supporters Trust and the productive relationship they have built up with Fulham FC. They have done this by developing trust through exactly this sort of process.)

The production of a meeting summary (as compared to a verbatim record) is by definition a question of choosing what are the crucial things which need to be highlighted. Different people in a meeting might well have different views about what is important. Ensuring that the club and the FF (in the shape of me) had input into the summary went some way, to ensuring a balance is achieved.

Given the high level of interest in the meeting it was agreed that we would try to produce an agreed summary yesterday evening.

I received the first draft at 5.30pm. There were a few things which I thought should be included which weren't. There was also some stuff which I thought wasn't needed. I also thought there were some changes which might make the document easier to digest and less ambiguous. There were a couple of things which I thought were incorrect. I sent back the document with my suggested revisions at 6.30pm.

There was then a football match on TV which I (and TR) were quite keen to watch.

Nearly all my suggested revisions were accepted and the summary amended accordingly. However, the two things which I thought were incorrect proved not to be incorrect. The recording of the meeting was not surprisingly more accurate than the notes I had taken. I assume TR listened to the recording again at half time to check this.

After the game had finished there were still a couple of points outstanding which I wanted to pursue so I agreed with TR that we would not try to cut corners and that he would delay publication until this morning.

When I woke up this morning those points didn't seem so important but I noticed that HMRC had been specifically mentioned in the meeting but that it was not in the summary, so I e mailed TR and he subsequently included it.

The outcome of all this was that a summary of the meeting to which both parties have agreed was published the morning after the meeting. (If someone else from the FF had taken my place the summary might look a bit different, but I hope that those at the meeting think it reflects most of the important stuff).

What possible positive purpose would it have served for seven different supporters to have posted their version and interpretation of events during yesterday evening ? I suggest it might have been chaotic and I suspect that people would soon have been clamouring for the "official" version.

A patsy is "a person who is easily cheated or victimised" (Collins Dictionary). I'm not sure if I and my six colleagues from yesterday really deserve such an epithet purely because we stuck to an agreed, commonplace and civilised process.
    You didn't have to sit on what was said. There were what, half a dozen of you, agreeing to denying what you knew to thousands of fans. For no real reason.
    Patsy sums it up quite well I think.
    You forgot who you were there for.

• Options

Is it also true that the Charlton lads get dropped off at their schools by mini bus?

Its just that this bloke I know, I say know, but I just chat to him in the cafe, he's a West Ham fan. Anyway he told me that his wife, I say wife, but she may be just be his partner, or even some bird he knows, is a teacher. She works at a very large local comprehensive school and she reckons that the Charlton lads are really molly coddled by the club and it might not be doing 'em any good. In the long run they might be better off getting their own grub and sorting out their own transport, mind you it probably helps them to adapt to life at Man City once the tribunal decides.

Have they been at the club first? If so, time factors would suggest that a lift to school is the only way that they won’t miss vital school time.

Have you given any thought what so ever as to the commitment parents and there child have to make? Training will be at least 3 times a week starting at 5pm and finishing at 7pm. Tea in the car after school, homework bath and bed. A game Saturday so meet at 11am. Kids on coach, parents follow down in car. Saturday a wipe out and you probably have other kids with other demands. I said “no” for my son, but respect to those who support their sons to follow their dreams.

All you can do is fucking moan about a breakfast and a lift to school. Get real.
  • Options

sarge1g said:

I do not understand why there is so much fuss being made about the club providing a free breakfast. How many people on this forum who are working get a breakfast provided by their employer at no cost ? As for Airman Brown suggesting that this "part of the discipline of being in at a certain time in the morning" what a joke, this is part of growing up, being responsible and earning a living ffs. In most, if not all, other industries if you cannot arrive on time on a regular basis there is a disciplinary process that ensures you either conform, leave or end up being dismissed, why should it be any different for footballers albeit young players who if they progress will have the potential to achieve a lifestyle the rest of us can only dream of.

I think the point is that these young players are the club's future.

In the past the club has managed to cover the cost of cornflakes and toast so what has changed? Are we not still owned by a billionaire?

We want these kids to have a healthy diet as part of their development.

We also want to attract and retain the best kids we can and this petty, penny wise, pound foolish move goes against this.

And this is just one of many similar mind numbingly petty cuts being made.
    1. My curiosity in this remains what protest if any did the football management side make on this and how it could be justifiably ignored if we are to believe the benefits alluded to on here

Easy for us based on limited knowledge to view it as petty etc but if sound arguments in favour of breakfasts being provided do exist then I struggle to understand how it went through.

2. What other petty cuts are you referring to?

The cut in energy bills is not an uncommon target in many businesses as employees tend not to be as conscious as when at home and in today's world also plays to a 'green' agenda too.

I assume you are aware of others though ?
  • Options

Is it also true that the Charlton lads get dropped off at their schools by mini bus?

Its just that this bloke I know, I say know, but I just chat to him in the cafe, he's a West Ham fan. Anyway he told me that his wife, I say wife, but she may be just be his partner, or even some bird he knows, is a teacher. She works at a very large local comprehensive school and she reckons that the Charlton lads are really molly coddled by the club and it might not be doing 'em any good. In the long run they might be better off getting their own grub and sorting out their own transport, mind you it probably helps them to adapt to life at Man City once the tribunal decides.

My mates friend of friend who I once saw down the cafe?
    Even worse you state he is West Ham fan?
    Sorry but this is another ill informed post that has no idea what a player or parent has to do for a child at the academy. 5-6 trips a week, anti social hours for families to ferry child and siblings - homework etc. Players Travel can be 2 hours or more with traffic in rush hour, then you have to feed them usually in the car. Yes it's a choice but please be under no illusions Charlton kids are not Molly coddled. The academy provide very little facilities for parents as there are none at the moment. However West Ham, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal this is where your right as I've witnessed it. Yes some kids are transported in a mini bus but they are usually for boys travelling across London to the Harris Academy programme. That can be a 6.45am to get school pick up and twice a week home at 9pm after a double session. If it's the Harris academy then I doubt they are treated like that - the demands they set are tough. Transport is also for those whose parents have no transport. Go to Chelsea and they will be bought cars or ferried by private car. Oh and by the way all academy boys already 'sort their own grub'
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Sorry but this is another ill informed post that has no idea what a player or parent has to do for a child at the academy. 5-6 trips a week, anti social hours for families to ferry child and siblings - homework etc. Players Travel can be 2 hours or more with traffic in rush hour, then you have to feed them usually in the car. Yes it's a choice but please be under no illusions Charlton kids are not Molly coddled. The academy provide very little facilities for parents as there are none at the moment. However West Ham, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal this is where your right as I've witnessed it. Yes some kids are transported in a mini bus but they are usually for boys travelling across London to the Harris Academy programme. That can be a 6.45am to get school pick up and twice a week home at 9pm after a double session. If it's the Harris academy then I doubt they are treated like that - the demands they set are tough. Transport is also for those whose parents have no transport. Go to Chelsea and they will be bought cars or ferried by private car. Oh and by the way all academy boys already 'sort their own grub'
    So if the Academy boys already don't get breakfast who is it who is losing out? Are we just talking about those on professional contracts but not 1st team squad?
  • Options

So if the Academy boys already don't get breakfast who is it who is losing out? Are we just talking about those on professional contracts but not 1st team squad?
    Who cares? The first team get lunch. Some clubs do charge for lunch in our league. A bowl of soup and a roll isn’t going to sway you to join one club over another, but it does give off a whiff of professionalism if the tea lady ain’t got her hand out!
  • Options

Not sure if it’s ‘still in use’ but there used to be school rooms/classrooms in the main building at the training ground for players to both train and gain an education
  • Options

Not sure if it’s ‘still in use’ but there used to be school rooms/classrooms in the main building at the training ground for players to both train and gain an education

They go the Harris Academy for schoolwork , the huts at the training ground are multi purpose
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Redrobo said:

Who cares? The first team get lunch. Some clubs do charge for lunch in our league. A bowl of soup and a roll isn’t going to sway you to join one club over another, but it does give off a whiff of professionalism if the tea lady ain’t got her hand out!
    Is this some kind of new wave irony? The club is based on developing players; Community spirit. Are these kids 'customers' who we hope one day to watch in the Premiership? Not if their physical and educational health is undermined at the club at which they volunteer their time for no wage. Get a fucking grip!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

Pico said:

I’ll go further. If anyone who attended this shite meeting is not now informing us all of what was said then they are just club patsy’s. Our club is at risk here. Man up ffs.

I went to the meeting at 3pm and it finished soon after 4pm. It was agreed that a summary of the meeting would be produced by Tom Rubashow (TR) from his recording and he would send it to me for comment (this is a role I have fulfilled on behalf of the FF for the last year or so). That seems to me to be an example of good practice which in my experience is common procedure in producing meeting records.
    ( I am a great admirer of Fulham Supporters Trust and the productive relationship they have built up with Fulham FC. They have done this by developing trust through exactly this sort of process.)

The production of a meeting summary (as compared to a verbatim record) is by definition a question of choosing what are the crucial things which need to be highlighted. Different people in a meeting might well have different views about what is important. Ensuring that the club and the FF (in the shape of me) had input into the summary went some way, to ensuring a balance is achieved.

Given the high level of interest in the meeting it was agreed that we would try to produce an agreed summary yesterday evening.

I received the first draft at 5.30pm. There were a few things which I thought should be included which weren't. There was also some stuff which I thought wasn't needed. I also thought there were some changes which might make the document easier to digest and less ambiguous. There were a couple of things which I thought were incorrect. I sent back the document with my suggested revisions at 6.30pm.

There was then a football match on TV which I (and TR) were quite keen to watch.

Nearly all my suggested revisions were accepted and the summary amended accordingly. However, the two things which I thought were incorrect proved not to be incorrect. The recording of the meeting was not surprisingly more accurate than the notes I had taken. I assume TR listened to the recording again at half time to check this.

After the game had finished there were still a couple of points outstanding which I wanted to pursue so I agreed with TR that we would not try to cut corners and that he would delay publication until this morning.

When I woke up this morning those points didn't seem so important but I noticed that HMRC had been specifically mentioned in the meeting but that it was not in the summary, so I e mailed TR and he subsequently included it.

The outcome of all this was that a summary of the meeting to which both parties have agreed was published the morning after the meeting. (If someone else from the FF had taken my place the summary might look a bit different, but I hope that those at the meeting think it reflects most of the important stuff).

What possible positive purpose would it have served for seven different supporters to have posted their version and interpretation of events during yesterday evening ? I suggest it might have been chaotic and I suspect that people would soon have been clamouring for the "official" version.

A patsy is "a person who is easily cheated or victimised" (Collins Dictionary). I'm not sure if I and my six colleagues from yesterday really deserve such an epithet purely because we stuck to an agreed, commonplace and civilised process.
    You didn't have to sit on what was said. There were what, half a dozen of you, agreeing to denying what you knew to thousands of fans. For no real reason.

Ignoramus.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Have they been at the club first? If so, time factors would suggest that a lift to school is the only way that they won’t miss vital school time.

Have you given any thought what so ever as to the commitment parents and there child have to make? Training will be at least 3 times a week starting at 5pm and finishing at 7pm. Tea in the car after school, homework bath and bed. A game Saturday so meet at 11am. Kids on coach, parents follow down in car. Saturday a wipe out and you probably have other kids with other demands. I said “no” for my son, but respect to those who support their sons to follow their dreams.

All you can do is fucking moan about a breakfast and a lift to school. Get real.
    Calm down RR, the whole piece is ridiculous, its meant to be satire. (Although essentially true in that that the bloke I hardly know, does know someone, who works somewhere, who did say that. The Man City comment I added for comic effect.. I'll get my coat.
  • Options

sarge1g said:

I do not understand why there is so much fuss being made about the club providing a free breakfast. How many people on this forum who are working get a breakfast provided by their employer at no cost ? As for Airman Brown suggesting that this "part of the discipline of being in at a certain time in the morning" what a joke, this is part of growing up, being responsible and earning a living ffs. In most, if not all, other industries if you cannot arrive on time on a regular basis there is a disciplinary process that ensures you either conform, leave or end up being dismissed, why should it be any different for footballers albeit young players who if they progress will have the potential to achieve a lifestyle the rest of us can only dream of.

In the past the club has managed to cover the cost of cornflakes and toast so what has changed? Are we not still owned by a billionaire?

We also want to attract and retain the best kids we can and this petty, penny wise, pound foolish move goes against this.

1. My curiosity in this remains what protest if any did the football management side make on this and how it could be justifiably ignored if we are to believe the benefits alluded to on here

Easy for us based on limited knowledge to view it as petty etc but if sound arguments in favour of breakfasts being provided do exist then I struggle to understand how it went through.

The cut in energy bills is not an uncommon target in many businesses as employees tend not to be as conscious as when at home and in today's world also plays to a 'green' agenda too.

There is no football management.

There is a caretaker manager and coach. There is no CEO, no FD, other vacancies aren't being filled.

Everyone else has seen what happens if you stand up to Roland. You get sacked.

Everyone is hanging on for a takeover and hope of a sensible, engaged, forward looking leadership who understands that you invest in the team, academy and infrastructure in order to achieve success.

So you are saying no one on the football,side challenged it ? We do have football management staff looking after the Academy.. This isn't a 1st team thing.

Maybe accurate on your part maybe not. I doubt RD is in the detail however. More ikely to me he set a financial target and this is part of someone's solution towards it. But someone London based came up with the idea and implemented it I imagine. I base that on previous assertions he delegates to his management team on most matters given his wider non football interests.

Sounds like classic poor middle management i.e. a request from on high is exaggerated down the line and the spirit / sense of the request is lost. I'm talking more about a challenge there not RD direct. But who knows.

And your detail on other petty cost savings?
  • Options

iainment said:

Pico said:

Ignoramus.
    Yes, ignored by our reps.
  • Options

sarge1g said:

There is a caretaker manager and coach. There is no CEO, no FD, other vacancies aren't being filled.

Everyone is hanging on for a takeover and hope of a sensible, engaged, forward looking leadership who understands that you invest in the team, academy and infrastructure in order to achieve success.

So you are saying no one on the football,side challenged it ? We do have football management staff looking after the Academy.. This isn't a 1st team thing.

Maybe accurate on your part maybe not. I doubt RD is in the detail however. More ikely to me he set a financial target and this is part of someone's solution towards it. But someone London based came up with the idea and implemented it I imagine. I base that on previous assertions he delegates to his management team on most matters given his wider non football interests.

Sounds like classic poor middle management i.e. a request from on high is exaggerated down the line and the spirit / sense of the request is lost. I'm talking more about a challenge there not RD direct. But who knows.

It might have been questioned, I don't know but it has been implemented.

Your right in that RD sets the target and his staff implement it. Still doesn't make it acceptable.
  • Options
    Looking after your players nutrition, regardless of the age group, is an absolute necessity in my eyes. What the lads eat will directly contribute to their, and ultimately our, success - it isn't the same as other professions.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Pico said:

I assume you’re joking, right?
  • Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

Pico said:

Ignoramus.
    Yes, ignored by our reps.
    Ooh for a couple of hours. Grow up. How do you cope with Christmas - do you go around touching up your presents to guess what's inside?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

sarge1g said:

Your right in that RD sets the target and his staff implement it. Still doesn't make it acceptable.
    And the other examples of pettiness?
  • Options
    iainment said:

Pico said:

had

You are a fucking WUM or worse, a fucking prick if you truly believe that.

There is an easy way of getting the real time low down on the meeting and that is getting off your arse and putting yourself out for the benefit of others and getting involved
  • Options

sarge1g said:

Will come out sooner or later.

But we're talking about this one. Do you still think it's an OK idea?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

sarge1g said:

Will come out sooner or later.

But we're talking about this one. Do you still think it's an OK idea?
    Never once said it was good. My curiosity remains the process by how it got to approved. I'm challenging middle management (not) doing their job well. I took at face value the FF minutes which advised it would be looked at. That to me suggested perhaps it had been implemented without internal review and challenge which seemed strange.

RD is clearly not good for us but he's going to go. However a cost challenge after another year in league 1 is no surprise whoever would be in charge.

You cite other things but aren't prepared to tell us more. No idea why. I'm now curious about that as you are withholding other examples. You chose to raise them.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    se9addick said:

iainment said:

Pico said:

Ridiculous comments.

@Pico explained why the report of the meeting was published when it was, which was within 24 hours of the meeting concluding. A 24 hour period which included England's biggest match for 20 years.

Some people need to have a word with themselves.
    What I think @shooters hill guru was getting at was that anyone leaving the meeting could have posted a very brief summary of it & not having to wait until the next day for the minutes. No-one was expecting war & peace at 5pm last night, but a couple of lines to the effect of; EFL still awaiting some docs, price agreed with Aussies & another as yet unamed party.....minutes to follow later.

Instead we got radio silence or "we've all be sworn to secrecy" with no one daring to say what the fuck was said.

I apprecate very much to statement that was put out today, but do agree that some update was needed after the event yestetday.
  • Options
    It could be worse. It could have been held at Bromley, where no fcuker will give us a clue as to what was said.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Pico said:

Denying what They knew? leave off it was less than 24 hours, or would you have preferred inaccurate information straight away?

Anyway, I look forward to you volunteering your time and the next meeting being reported within minutes.
  • Options

It could be worse. It could have been held at Bromley, where no fcuker will give us a clue as to what was said.