Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• edited July 2018

I know I'm skipping pages of posts here, but this has made me really angry.

Some fucking sicko had admitted to making his dog live a vegan lifestyle, I really hope someone has contacted the RSPCA about this scumbag.

Absolutely bizarre. So you're ok with millions and millions of animals dying for nothing more than taste yet because someone is feeding their dog vegan food he is a 'fucking sicko'.

Have a word
    Have to agree with this Braziliance, it does strike me as a bit of a wtf comment .

• I know I'm skipping pages of posts here, but this has made me really angry.

Some fucking sicko had admitted to making his dog live a vegan lifestyle, I really hope someone has contacted the RSPCA about this scumbag.

Absolutely bizarre. So you're ok with millions and millions of animals dying for nothing more than taste yet because someone is feeding their dog vegan food he is a 'fucking sicko'.

Have a word
    Absolutely amazing how I have stopped killing animals yet I am the sicko lol.

Just for you Stu_of Kunming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYYl8zMK-Ho

• Feck this thread.
  • The first thing that needs to be put to bed here is the assertion that Veganism is inherently healthy. It’s not. Without seeking out vitamin B12 supplements a vegan diet will eventually kill you. Pure veganism is an unnatural state for humans. Before supplements if everyone was vegan the human race would no longer exist. That’s why humans are omnivores. It’s the only way to get everything the body needs to survive. It is the human natural state.

Now I accept that in modern terms the need to be an omnivore is no longer critical. I accept that we now can choose and that’s of course a good thing. Want to be a vegan. Fine. Get on with it. What irritates me beyond belief is the evangelical claptrap being spouted about it being more healthy than eating a balanced diet including meat. It’s not. That is a fact.

In 1990, most years of healthy life were lost reportedly to undernutrition, such as diarrheal diseases in malnourished children, but now the greatest disease burden may be attributed to high blood pressure, a disease of overnutrition. The pandemic of chronic disease has been ascribed in part to the near-universal shift toward a diet dominated by processed foods and animal-sourced foods—more meat, oils, dairy, soda, eggs, sugar, salt, and refined grains.

How can scientists parse out the effects of specific foods? Researchers studied lapsed vegetarians. People who once ate vegetarian diets but then started to eat meat at least once a week experienced a 146 percent increase in odds of heart disease, a 152 percent increase in stroke, a 166 percent increase in diabetes, and a 231 percent increase in odds for weight gain. During the 12 years after the transition away from eating vegetarian, meat-eating was associated with a 3.6 year decrease in life expectancy.

Researchers have shown that a more plant-based diet may help prevent, treat, or reverse some of our leading causes of death, including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and high blood pressure. Interventional studies of plant-based diets have shown, for example, 90 percent reductions in angina attacks within just a few weeks. Plant-based diet intervention groups have reported greater diet satisfaction than control groups, as well as improved digestion, increased energy, and better sleep, and significant improvement in their physical functioning, general health, vitality, and mental health. Studies have shown plant-based eating can improve not only body weight, blood sugar levels, and ability to control cholesterol, but also emotional states, including depression, anxiety, fatigue, sense of well-being, and daily functioning.

Only one way of eating has ever been proven to reverse heart disease in the majority of patients: a diet centered around whole plant foods. If that’s all a whole-food, plant-based diet could do—reverse our number-one killer—shouldn’t that be the default diet until proven otherwise? The fact it may also be effective in preventing, treating, and arresting other leading killers seems to make the case for plant-based eating simply overwhelming.
  • Yep, it’s steak but made from plants. Hail seitan!

https://youtu.be/bJM7d_fstJA

Have you tried the eponymous Temple of Seitan?

Their test kitchen was near my office in Old Street, the burger was excellent, i reckon in a blind test they'd have had me. Cheese and bacon we both convincing, thought the bacon not to look at.

The ribs were pretty vile, sadly seitan can't do it all
  • As much as I personally respect Gary Yourofsky @Stevelamb I’m not sure using him will help to win over the doubters and downright hostile Lifers. He’s what they would use as an example of a ‘vegan fascist’ or simply a ‘typical vegan’.
  • https://youtu.be/Ac5XAgqrPjI

Here’s a recipe for a top plant based lasagne @AFKABartram and anyone else interested in trying something non-meaty.

how good is vegan pasta and is it better to buy it or make your own?

Fresh pasta is out because of the egg so just buy a box of the dried sheets straight off the shelf, that’s what I do @cafcdave123
    I didn't realise your everyday dried pasta was vegan friendly (never really gave it any thought to be fair).

I regularly have vegetarian days without planning to and reckon I must have had vegan days as well.
  • The first thing that needs to be put to bed here is the assertion that Veganism is inherently healthy. It’s not. Without seeking out vitamin B12 supplements a vegan diet will eventually kill you. Pure veganism is an unnatural state for humans. Before supplements if everyone was vegan the human race would no longer exist. That’s why humans are omnivores. It’s the only way to get everything the body needs to survive. It is the human natural state.

Now I accept that in modern terms the need to be an omnivore is no longer critical. I accept that we now can choose and that’s of course a good thing. Want to be a vegan. Fine. Get on with it. What irritates me beyond belief is the evangelical claptrap being spouted about it being more healthy than eating a balanced diet including meat. It’s not. That is a fact.

I mentioned above that it is possible to get vitamin B12 from soy beans.
    Which would be possible in a vegan diet.
    Is it more realistic to say that anybody's approach to their personal consumption is what makes it healthy or unhealthy?
    Unmitigated raw steak and beer might be unhealthy, and nothing but turnips and water might be unhealthy too.
    However my understanding is, technically if you like, that there is no source of nutrients from meat based stuff that can't be found in plant based stuff.
    This post is intended to be genuine and not claptrap.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

The first thing that needs to be put to bed here is the assertion that Veganism is inherently healthy. It’s not. Without seeking out vitamin B12 supplements a vegan diet will eventually kill you. Pure veganism is an unnatural state for humans. Before supplements if everyone was vegan the human race would no longer exist. That’s why humans are omnivores. It’s the only way to get everything the body needs to survive. It is the human natural state.

Is it more realistic to say that anybody's approach to their personal consumption is what makes it healthy or unhealthy?
    Unmitigated raw steak and beer might be unhealthy, and nothing but turnips and water might be unhealthy too.
    However my understanding is, technically if you like, that there is no source of nutrients from meat based stuff that can't be found in plant based stuff.
    There's plenty of unhealthy food on both sides, it's not like the average Joe eats a perfectly balanced diet regardless of their view on this. Both diets have the potential to be good and bad.
  • Yep, it’s steak but made from plants. Hail seitan!

https://youtu.be/bJM7d_fstJA

Have you tried the eponymous Temple of Seitan?

Their test kitchen was near my office in Old Street, the burger was excellent, i reckon in a blind test they'd have had me. Cheese and bacon we both convincing, thought the bacon not to look at.

The ribs were pretty vile, sadly seitan can't do it all

No I haven’t but next time I get down to London I’ve vowed to take the time to go and try their food, heard some very good things about it.
    To be honest I wouldn’t want to eat seitan everyday but I do knock up some ‘chicken’ seitan every now and then when I’m craving something coated and deep fried. My wife, who isn’t vegan, loves the steak recipe in the vid so much she’s made it four times in the last month. Six steaks per batch and she’s sorted.
  • bobmunro said:

Stevelamb said:

Milton Mills, MD: Are Humans Designed to Eat Meat?

If you have an hour or so to spare this explains why Humans are Herbivores and not Omnivores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXj76A9hI-o

One request...........

Please watch it to the end before commenting.

It isn't making the case against veganism but clearly makes a case that it is entirely natural for humans to eat meat.
    This thread is proper weird....maybe even challenging the takeover thread in that regard?

Surely the simple fact that so many people eat meat is enough to prove that it’s a ‘natural’ thing to do?

I love eating meat.
    I would not class myself as an animal ‘lover’
    I do not have any pets
    I would not enjoy killing an animal for food
    I do not have to kill an animal for food
    I will carry on eating meat

Vegans - Eat what you like and believe what you like....just don’t try and force your beliefs on others.

Meat eaters - Eat what you like and believe what you like....just don’t try and force your beliefs on others.
    Although none of your points are wrong one that stands out as being wrong is you do actually kill animals by buying meat. You are funding the organisations.

Erm.....ok.
  • https://youtu.be/Ac5XAgqrPjI

Here’s a recipe for a top plant based lasagne @AFKABartram and anyone else interested in trying something non-meaty.

how good is vegan pasta and is it better to buy it or make your own?

Fresh pasta is out because of the egg so just buy a box of the dried sheets straight off the shelf, that’s what I do @cafcdave123
    I didn't realise your everyday dried pasta was vegan friendly (never really gave it any thought to be fair).

I regularly have vegetarian days without planning to and reckon I must have had vegan days as well.
    This. I have probably had quite a few days myself, more by chance rather than design. If not Vegan days certainly vegetarian.

Thing is I like most food, I eat salad almost every couple of days, but most recipes for vege or vegan meals just don't work for me, they seem to lack flavours. I will try that Lasagne and let you know @AddickUpNorth what I think.

Moderation is key when it comes to a healthy diet.

You can't get away with scoffing too many fats (HDL or LDL) of anything, Avocado's are 4 grams worse than an egg for fat. (15g Avo, 11G Egg) Too many fats are too many fats full stop.

Too many carbs, they convert to sugars and then onto fat.

Protein can be hard for the body to breakdown if you eat too much, but is key in feeling fuller for longer.

Just enjoy your food in smaller portions for a healthier weight and smaller waistline. If that's meat, fine. If that's vegetarian or even vegan, great. But remember around 40% Carbs, 30% Protein and 30% Fat is the ideal split of macro nutrients.

This post has ended up purely regarding healthy yet enjoyable eating and not propaganda either way.
  • Amongst all the silliness, some of the many points in this thread have really interested me, to the point as I mentioned many pages back that I do eat less meat, in fact I eat less of everything, I think that is an age thing as well.
    I am genuinely interested in eating less meat I dont want to cut it completely, and certainly would never stop eating fish, but there are some very valid and informative points brought up by the tree huggers, the dairy one is interesting for me, I drink a lot of milk, and have tried loads of the substitutes, but they taste bloody awful, so thats a sticking point for me.
    So a genuine question to the Vegans, is there a milk substitute that somehow tastes like milk?
  • Greenie said:

Amongst all the silliness, some of the many points in this thread have really interested me, to the point as I mentioned many pages back that I do eat less meat, in fact I eat less of everything, I think that is an age thing as well.
    I am genuinely interested in eating less meat I dont want to cut it completely, and certainly would never stop eating fish, but there are some very valid and informative points brought up by the tree huggers, the dairy one is interesting for me, I drink a lot of milk, and have tried loads of the substitutes, but they taste bloody awful, so thats a sticking point for me.
    So a genuine question to the Vegans, is there a milk substitute that somehow tastes like milk?

The one I often hear is Oat Milk is the best, I'm yet to try it though.
  • One of the things that I don't like about vegan food is the desire to over-process. Just as big mainstream food companies skew science and over-process things to increase profit, so do smaller "health food" companies.

The much lauded Mediterranean diet was big on fresh fruit and veg, salads, fish and tiny amounts of meat. I saw on the TV the other day that kids in Sweden are now following a more Mediterranean diet than those in Italy or Spain, because the changes in society there and the ready availability of processed foods mean they are now eating a lot more rubbish.

Many of the health benefits claimed for veganism would be gained by cutting out meat most days, processed meat entirely and preparing food from ingredients. I'm amazed by the growth of seitan in today's world, hand in hand with a rash of people claiming they are gluten-intolerant or allergic. Seitan is just gluten. It's at least as processed as a burger. Undoubtedly better for the planet, but I think there are probably health issues lurking in this particular fashion.

The problem with a lot of vegan advocates is that I never really get the feeling that they enjoy food that much - it's just fuel. Ask anyone what their favourite few dishes are and most are going to feature animal products. I don't think this is universal - there are cultures with a developed vegetarian/vegan cuisine which can offer attractive food - Indian has already been mentioned, but there are also good cuisines tied to Chinese and Japanese buddhism that have developed over centuries and a lot of very good middle eastern food, particularly around Lenten cooking where Syrian and Coptic Christians didn't eat meat during Lent.

• Straight answer from what I have tried is no. My two favourites are Alpro cashew and Alpro Almond.That said I was given some homemade almond milk last week and it makes Alpros version pale into significance. Alpro cream is fantastic.
    So no it does not taste like milk thankfully because now I just couldn't drink cows milk or any other mammals milk.

Have a word
    One is natural, The other is torture.

I have big problems with how the food industry works, it's why I avoid super markets as much as possible and try to buy all my food from local wet markets and friends/family that produce it themselves.

However I'd never let my dog suffer as a result of my life choices.
  • edited July 2018

bobmunro said:

Stevelamb said:

If you have an hour or so to spare this explains why Humans are Herbivores and not Omnivores.

One request...........

It isn't making the case against veganism but clearly makes a case that it is entirely natural for humans to eat meat.
    This thread is proper weird....maybe even challenging the takeover thread in that regard?

Surely the simple fact that so many people eat meat is enough to prove that it’s a ‘natural’ thing to do?

I love eating meat.
    I do not have any pets

Vegans - Eat what you like and believe what you like....just don’t try and force your beliefs on others.

Meat eaters - Eat what you like and believe what you like....just don’t try and force your beliefs on others.
    Although none of your points are wrong one that stands out as being wrong is you do actually kill animals by buying meat. You are funding the organisations.

Erm.....ok.
    Sorry I was meant to say other than. Your points are more sensible than just replying with drivel but 'I'm not killing them' is a negative.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

The first thing that needs to be put to bed here is the assertion that Veganism is inherently healthy. It’s not. Without seeking out vitamin B12 supplements a vegan diet will eventually kill you. Pure veganism is an unnatural state for humans. Before supplements if everyone was vegan the human race would no longer exist. That’s why humans are omnivores. It’s the only way to get everything the body needs to survive. It is the human natural state.

Ask the Inuit or Sami etc etc. people’s what they think about Veganism because the option of getting a well balanced plant based diet are not actually possible.

Being vegan is not a natural human state. No nonsense you care to bring up can change that.

• @Greenie In my experience no, there isn’t a plant based milk that tastes exactly like cows milk. I personally have unsweetened almond milk in my fridge because I just like a glass of it now and again. I find it doesn’t mix well in coffee so now have my java black. I don’t like soy milk in its natural state but Alpro do a vanilla soy milk that is tasty af. Hazelnut milk is nice but obviously has a nutty taste. As Dazzler says oat milk is good but won’t replicate what you’re after if it’s just a glass of the white stuff you want.
  • @Greenie In my experience no, there isn’t a plant based milk that tastes exactly like cows milk. I personally have unsweetened almond milk in my fridge because I just like a glass of it now and again. I find it doesn’t mix well in coffee so now have my java black. I don’t like soy milk in its natural state but Alpro do a vanilla soy milk that is tasty af. Hazelnut milk is nice but obviously has a nutty taste. As Dazzler says oat milk is good but won’t replicate what you’re after if it’s just a glass of the white stuff you want.

I should clarify, I eat real porridge for breakfast most days and use quiet a bit of milk in it, I dont guzzle glasses of the stuff anymore, so thats not an issue, but when Ive tried almond milk in porridge its a bit gross, however I think I will try the Alpo Vanilla soy milk you mentioned.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
  • bobmunro said:

Stevelamb said:

One request...........

I love eating meat.
    I do not have any pets

Erm.....ok.
    Sorry I was meant to say other than. Your points are more sensible than just replying with drivel but 'I'm not killing them' is a negative.
    So how far removed do I need to be until I'm not killing them?

If I don't eat meat but buy almond milk in Tesco (where they also sell meat)......am I still part of the problem via indirect funding?
  • edited July 2018

I know I'm skipping pages of posts here, but this has made me really angry.

Have a word
    One is natural, The other is torture.

I have big problems with how the food industry works, it's why I avoid super markets as much as possible and try to buy all my food from local wet markets and friends/family that produce it themselves.

However I'd never let my dog suffer as a result of my life choices.
    It's actually not natural, humans have been wrong about a lot of things. History shows that, I think animal agriculture is wrong and one day a huge population will reflect on how disgusting it is.

As for his dog I can't speak for him or his dog, pretty certain his dog is just fine though and is not suffering. Very dramatic

Not natural imo* don't want that to sound like gospel
  • seth plum said:

Ask the Inuit or Sami etc etc. people’s what they think about Veganism because the option of getting a well balanced plant based diet are not actually possible.

Being vegan is not a natural human state. No nonsense you care to bring up can change that.

A few actual facts about Soy - Taken from the Weston Price Foundation's research... Basically the benefits are outweighed by the health risks.

Soy causes serious issues by creating a calcium imbalance, which generally if not rectified leads to osteoporosis.

Soy phytoestrogens disrupt endocrine function and have the potential to cause infertility and to promote breast cancer in adult women.

Soy phytoestrogens are potent anti-thyroid agents that cause hypothyroidism and may cause thyroid cancer. In infants, consumption of soy formula has been linked to autoimmune thyroid disease.

Vitamin B12 analogs in soy are not absorbed and actually increase the body's requirement for B12.

Soy foods increase the body's requirement for Vitamin D. Toxic synthetic Vitamin D2 is added to soy milk.

Processing of soy protein results in the formation of toxic lysinoalanine and highly carcinogenic nitrosamines.

Soy foods contain high levels of aluminum, which is toxic to the nervous system and the kidneys.
  • Greenie said:

@Greenie In my experience no, there isn’t a plant based milk that tastes exactly like cows milk. I personally have unsweetened almond milk in my fridge because I just like a glass of it now and again. I find it doesn’t mix well in coffee so now have my java black. I don’t like soy milk in its natural state but Alpro do a vanilla soy milk that is tasty af. Hazelnut milk is nice but obviously has a nutty taste. As Dazzler says oat milk is good but won’t replicate what you’re after if it’s just a glass of the white stuff you want.

I should clarify, I eat real porridge for breakfast most days and use quiet a bit of milk in it, I dont guzzle glasses of the stuff anymore, so thats not an issue, but when Ive tried almond milk in porridge its a bit gross, however I think I will try the Alpo Vanilla soy milk you mentioned.
    I make porridge with water
  • AFKA get som.e Quorn mince chief ,i often make chilli con carni and spag bol using it---not bad. Their "meat chunks" are fecking crap tho horrible texture.

• Greenie said:

@Greenie In my experience no, there isn’t a plant based milk that tastes exactly like cows milk. I personally have unsweetened almond milk in my fridge because I just like a glass of it now and again. I find it doesn’t mix well in coffee so now have my java black. I don’t like soy milk in its natural state but Alpro do a vanilla soy milk that is tasty af. Hazelnut milk is nice but obviously has a nutty taste. As Dazzler says oat milk is good but won’t replicate what you’re after if it’s just a glass of the white stuff you want.

I make porridge with water
    Tried it mate, cant do it....!
  • @rananegra I adore food and if anything going vegan has only enhanced my enjoyment of cooking a good meal and it’s encouraged me to really educate myself on spices and herbs and their uses. I think it’s the same with anything, you can do it half arsed or you can devote yourself.