Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:

Militant vegan check list -

- Start off calm.
    - Tell meat eaters they're morally wrong and meat is bad for you.
    - Get blown out the water on every point.
    - Play the victim.

Carnist bingo check list -

Try and justify why they eat meat on a thread aimed at vegans- Tick
    Try and make jokes instead of fact check - Tick
    Try and spin the argument rather than just put their hands up and say 'I have no empathy towards animals' - tick
    Make a joke about eating more meat - Tick
    Call a vegan is militant just for telling them the harsh reality - Tick
    Use your animals as an example when you are more capable of understanding than them - Tick
    Lions tho?!? - Tick

The only thing I am surprised you haven't done yet is use the 'if you were stuck on an island would you eat meat?' question.

Other than that top marks fella.
    This thread was created by a vegan to wind up omnivores.

If you don't know the difference between a carnivore and an omnivore then maybe get back under your little rock.

P.s

Medium Rare Steak with a home made cheese and chive sauce and steamed home grown beans and courgette with a side of shop bought potatoes.

On a scale of Vegan to Carnivore it sits right about OMNIVORE.
    I called him a carnist.

Carnism is the invisible belief system, or ideology, that conditions people to eat certain animals. Carnism is essentially the opposite of veganism, as “carn” means “flesh” or “of the flesh” and “ism” refers to a belief system.

A name coined by vegans to refer to meat eaters. Where veganism is the philosophy that humans aren't better than animals and shouldn't be exploited, carnism is the philosophy that animals are inferior to humans and it's fine to eat them, test on them, use them for entertainment and the like.

So I think google would have been your friend with that one mate
    ... I think people in white coats would be your friends...

And I'm not talking about butchers
    Not really, it's a meme thing. When a person has a pop at a vegan and calls them militant that's the response.
  • Leuth said:

iainment said:

Veggies and Vegans do get a lot of unwarranted stick but you’re not helping yourself when you make a statement that your dog is vegan.

He’s not, it’s just that YOU his owner, makes the decision for him to not eat meat.

The only vegans who get stick as far as I'm concerned, are the ones who insist on telling meat eaters that they're doing something wrong, or try and "spread the word".
    Why come into a thread about the growth of veganism then? You know you'll get annoyed and annoy other people.
    Big Rob is here for game and game alone tbf
    I'm not, it absolutely infuriates me that people make a life choice and then take the moral high ground with those who live a normal life.

You clicked on a thread named rise of the vegans and decided to start challenging people. You have infuriated yourself there fella

It's on public forum though treacle
    I know it is. So how can you get infuriated by getting told the facts. Just close the thread if it makes you that angry. You don't agree with vegans, you haven't bothered to do your own research that's that.
    No, what I don't agree with, is people trotting out opinions and stating them as facts

People can eat whatever they like, for whatever reason they like, but I'll reserve the right to challenge opinions on a public forum, whenever I want.
    Everything I am saying is a fact though.

bad for the planet, fact. Bad for your health, fact. The only thing you could argue is that it isn't morally wrong but what kind of person thinks making an animal suffer unnecessarily is ok just so long as they can satisfy their cravings? Again each to their own but that is the harsh truth.

Just for the record you wouldn't catch me jump in on a thread called 'Rise of the meaticons' and start waffling on about how I love grass.
    What are your views on the deforestation caused by increased soya plantations? Good for the planet?
  • I know I'm skipping pages of posts here, but this has made me really angry.

Some fucking sicko had admitted to making his dog live a vegan lifestyle, I really hope someone has contacted the RSPCA about this scumbag.

Some fucking sicko had admitted to making his dog live a vegan lifestyle, I really hope someone has contacted the RSPCA about this scumbag.

This is the problem you see, in a debate about animal welfare, you see a vegan dog as the main issue? A vegan can debate with someone that keeps animals in their garden to ultimately kill and eat, you're calling someone a sicko scumbag for feeding a dog vegan food.
  • Lurker said:

I know I'm skipping pages of posts here, but this has made me really angry.

This is the problem you see, in a debate about animal welfare, you see a vegan dog as the main issue? A vegan can debate with someone that keeps animals in their garden to ultimately kill and eat, you're calling someone a sicko scumbag for feeding a dog vegan food.
    I think there are plenty of arguments for being a vegan, for both ethical and health reasons, I'm not a vegan for I do buy my eggs and meat from places that I know treat their animals well and are 'free range' in every way.

There is no excuse for putting a dog through the torture of being a vegan, it is totally unnatural and how anyone can do this and claim to love their dog at the same time is totally beyond me. What's next, tofu for lions?
  • Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Leuth said:

iainment said:

Veggies and Vegans do get a lot of unwarranted stick but you’re not helping yourself when you make a statement that your dog is vegan.

He’s not, it’s just that YOU his owner, makes the decision for him to not eat meat.

The only vegans who get stick as far as I'm concerned, are the ones who insist on telling meat eaters that they're doing something wrong, or try and "spread the word".
    Why come into a thread about the growth of veganism then? You know you'll get annoyed and annoy other people.
    I'm not, it absolutely infuriates me that people make a life choice and then take the moral high ground with those who live a normal life.

You clicked on a thread named rise of the vegans and decided to start challenging people. You have infuriated yourself there fella

I know it is. So how can you get infuriated by getting told the facts. Just close the thread if it makes you that angry. You don't agree with vegans, you haven't bothered to do your own research that's that.
    No, what I don't agree with, is people trotting out opinions and stating them as facts

People can eat whatever they like, for whatever reason they like, but I'll reserve the right to challenge opinions on a public forum, whenever I want.

bad for the planet, fact. Bad for your health, fact. The only thing you could argue is that it isn't morally wrong but what kind of person thinks making an animal suffer unnecessarily is ok just so long as they can satisfy their cravings? Again each to their own but that is the harsh truth.

Just for the record you wouldn't catch me jump in on a thread called 'Rise of the meaticons' and start waffling on about how I love grass.

"Researchers from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition followed half a million people in 10 countries for more than 12 years.
    The researchers found that eating moderate amounts of red meat had no effect on mortality. The lowest overall mortality rates were in those eating up to 80g a day."

Fact you say?

Edit; I don't recall any stories of great Aunty Edna who celebrating her 100th birthday said 'it's all down to me not eating meat since before the 1st world war'
    Now that really is tin hat territory. Like I said, do some research, the amount of time you spent trying to argue with me could have been spent looking the information up.
    So are you disagreeing with the findings of the European Prospective investigation into Cancer & Nutrition of half a million people over a 12 year period? "The researchers found that eating moderate amounts of red meat had no effect on mortality"

I'm sure we can all name plenty of people who lived to near 100 (or in the case of my great uncle 103) who probably didn't go a day in their lives (outside of the war years) where they didn't eat meat and mostly red meat at that....... why is that?

I think it's far from 'fact' that meat is simply bad for your health (in moderation just like most foods).
    I think people can be wrong yes. Now you have researched information to boost your point, now read or better yet watch the opposite to debunk my point. I really don't want to go and link x article from x site. I have recommended what to watch, until then I don't get why you would be trying to argue.

I'm glad your uncle and many others who ate a normal diet lived long, it's fortunate some people get to live that long. To turn it ugly though and use your example of 'how many meat eaters lived to 100' how many meat eaters die of heart disease, clogged arteries, cancer etc? It works both ways, all the information is out there for free if you want to look at it, help yourself. Sorry if that sounds a bit morbid.
    Thats a very blinkered view, I'm sure I can find a video that purportedly shows that the earth is flat.

i've no doubt if you eat a bucket load of meat a day it won't be good for you, there are studies on both sides, so thats my point, your view is not fact (as you continually say it is). I know there are studies that agree with your point of view and one's that don't.

Personally I don't think loads of meat is good for you, particular processed, but I also don't think you need to not eat meat to be healthy.
    The people who are saying the earth is flat are lunatics though, the people who speak veganism that I've listened to are doctors and nutritional experts.

You can be healthy and eat meat obviously, the majority of the fittest people on earth eat meat. There is no doubt that it damages your body though if ate frequently, an example sources of lead were found in some protein drinks before but wasn't damaging the drinkers because of the small dose, a higher consumption would have. It's similar to eating meat, in moderation probably won't kill you but a high consumption will increase your chances of the things I said earlier.

A vegan gets all the same nutrients, vitamins a meat eater does except B12. So you have to make up from that, other than that you can equal anything else a meat eater eats. Especially protein as that's the one most people try and bring up
    Not sure the relevance of the example of Lead in protein drinks...... if I put lead in your nuts it wouldn't be good for you.

But I think we are getting somewhere, you agree then that there are doctors/nutritional experts and studies by those people who also don't believe eating meat, in moderation as part of a healthy diet is dangerous? Or do you only believe experts and professionals that agree with your view?

B12 is an interesting one, doesn't that show that humans are meant to eat meat and that being Vegan isn't 'natural' for a omnivore?

• edited July 2018

Getting away from the silly / extreme stuff, this thread has got me thinking a bit more about.

I’ll freely admit I’m not an animal lover, I’ll eat anything, and I love my meat, fish, dairy and eggs.

But I’m intrigued how i would get on without them so I’m going to set myself in a couple of months time a challenge to have a ‘vegan week’, 7 days eating just vegan food. See how I feel mentally and physically and whether i notice any energy or attitude change.

If anyone else fancies giving it a go give me a shout, we can get meal suggestions from the vegans off here and make a bit of an event of it.

Think you'd need to do a minimum of a month as in the first 2 weeks your body will need to adjust to the change in diet.

After that you'll begin to feel any benefit (weight loss will begin to occur almost immediately)

If I could get the boss at home to get involved i'd be willing to give it a shot too.
  • Lurker said:

I think there are plenty of arguments for being a vegan, for both ethical and health reasons, I'm not a vegan for I do buy my eggs and meat from places that I know treat their animals well and are 'free range' in every way.

There is no excuse for putting a dog through the torture of being a vegan, it is totally unnatural and how anyone can do this and claim to love their dog at the same time is totally beyond me. What's next, tofu for lions?
    I'd be interested in seeing his dog, it's probably as healthy as any dog. My dog is bought meat nugget type food as recommended by our vet. He's not that fussed on it and ends up only eating it when our leftovers are added, will be vegan if it's my leftovers. Does he really get much benefit from the meat in the nuggets? I don't know.

I know that vegan dog food is out there, I've never really looked into it but I assume it can't be that bad for them? I've seen my dog eat horse shit, literally.
  • edited July 2018
    Lurker said:

Lurker said:

I'd be interested in seeing his dog, it's probably as healthy as any dog. My dog is bought meat nugget type food as recommended by our vet. He's not that fussed on it and ends up only eating it when our leftovers are added, will be vegan if it's my leftovers. Does he really get much benefit from the meat in the nuggets? I don't know.

I know that vegan dog food is out there, I've never really looked into it but I assume it can't be that bad for them? I've seen my dog eat horse shit, literally.
    I don’t think health is the point. I think it’s about forcing a dog food that it doesn’t want (just so you can force your beliefs upon it, probably also so you can brag that you’ve got a vegan dog) and would never choose. And that’s coming from someone who doesn’t even like dogs.
  • Lurker said:

Lurker said:

• Sponsored links:

• JaShea99 said:

Lurker said:

Lurker said:

I don’t think health is the point. I think it’s about forcing a dog food that it doesn’t want (just so you can force your beliefs upon it, probably also so you can brag that you’ve got a vegan dog) and would never choose. And that’s coming from someone who doesn’t even like dogs.
    I see the point but my dog would never choose to be washed either. Dogs eat anything, does my dog want whatever I'm cooking? Yes
  • edited July 2018
    Milton Mills, MD: Are Humans Designed to Eat Meat?

If you have an hour or so to spare this explains why Humans are Herbivores and not Omnivores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXj76A9hI-o

One request...........

Please watch it to the end before commenting.

• Soy beans are a source of vitamin B12.
  • Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Leuth said:

iainment said:

"Researchers from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition followed half a million people in 10 countries for more than 12 years.
    The researchers found that eating moderate amounts of red meat had no effect on mortality. The lowest overall mortality rates were in those eating up to 80g a day."

Fact you say?

Edit; I don't recall any stories of great Aunty Edna who celebrating her 100th birthday said 'it's all down to me not eating meat since before the 1st world war'
    Now that really is tin hat territory. Like I said, do some research, the amount of time you spent trying to argue with me could have been spent looking the information up.
    So are you disagreeing with the findings of the European Prospective investigation into Cancer & Nutrition of half a million people over a 12 year period? "The researchers found that eating moderate amounts of red meat had no effect on mortality"

I'm sure we can all name plenty of people who lived to near 100 (or in the case of my great uncle 103) who probably didn't go a day in their lives (outside of the war years) where they didn't eat meat and mostly red meat at that....... why is that?

I think it's far from 'fact' that meat is simply bad for your health (in moderation just like most foods).
    I think people can be wrong yes. Now you have researched information to boost your point, now read or better yet watch the opposite to debunk my point. I really don't want to go and link x article from x site. I have recommended what to watch, until then I don't get why you would be trying to argue.

I'm glad your uncle and many others who ate a normal diet lived long, it's fortunate some people get to live that long. To turn it ugly though and use your example of 'how many meat eaters lived to 100' how many meat eaters die of heart disease, clogged arteries, cancer etc? It works both ways, all the information is out there for free if you want to look at it, help yourself. Sorry if that sounds a bit morbid.
    Thats a very blinkered view, I'm sure I can find a video that purportedly shows that the earth is flat.

i've no doubt if you eat a bucket load of meat a day it won't be good for you, there are studies on both sides, so thats my point, your view is not fact (as you continually say it is). I know there are studies that agree with your point of view and one's that don't.

Personally I don't think loads of meat is good for you, particular processed, but I also don't think you need to not eat meat to be healthy.
    The people who are saying the earth is flat are lunatics though, the people who speak veganism that I've listened to are doctors and nutritional experts.

You can be healthy and eat meat obviously, the majority of the fittest people on earth eat meat. There is no doubt that it damages your body though if ate frequently, an example sources of lead were found in some protein drinks before but wasn't damaging the drinkers because of the small dose, a higher consumption would have. It's similar to eating meat, in moderation probably won't kill you but a high consumption will increase your chances of the things I said earlier.

A vegan gets all the same nutrients, vitamins a meat eater does except B12. So you have to make up from that, other than that you can equal anything else a meat eater eats. Especially protein as that's the one most people try and bring up
    Not sure the relevance of the example of Lead in protein drinks...... if I put lead in your nuts it wouldn't be good for you.

But I think we are getting somewhere, you agree then that there are doctors/nutritional experts and studies by those people who also don't believe eating meat, in moderation as part of a healthy diet is dangerous? Or do you only believe experts and professionals that agree with your view?

B12 is an interesting one, doesn't that show that humans are meant to eat meat and that being Vegan isn't 'natural' for a omnivore?

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/safest-source-of-b12/
  • Dogs are omnivores. They can survive off a diet of scraps, vegetables, meat or crap (literally). Dogs will also eat anything that takes their fancy. If the dog lives in South London it may have a vegan diet at home, but will be crunching on one of the millions of chicken bones left in parks and on streets.

(And yes I know dogs are not meant to eat chicken bones, but they don't understand that and every dog I've had will)
  • https://youtu.be/Ac5XAgqrPjI

Here’s a recipe for a top plant based lasagne @AFKABartram and anyone else interested in trying something non-meaty.
  • edited July 2018
    Stevelamb said:

If you have an hour or so to spare this explains why Humans are Herbivores and not Omnivores.

One request...........

I haven't got an hour to spare at the moment - but I will view when time allows.

I'm assuming it is making the case that humans are naturally herbivores? If so, here's an alternative view:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2016/12/23/how-humans-evolved-to-be-natural-omnivores/#22abd1d7af5a

It isn't making the case against veganism but clearly makes a case that it is entirely natural for humans to eat meat.
  • Sponsored links:

• https://youtu.be/Ac5XAgqrPjI

Here’s a recipe for a top plant based lasagne @AFKABartram and anyone else interested in trying something non-meaty.

how good is vegan pasta and is it better to buy it or make your own?
  • rananegra said:

Dogs are omnivores. They can survive off a diet of scraps, vegetables, meat or crap (literally). Dogs will also eat anything that takes their fancy. If the dog lives in South London it may have a vegan diet at home, but will be crunching on one of the millions of chicken bones left in parks and on streets.

(And yes I know dogs are not meant to eat chicken bones, but they don't understand that and every dog I've had will)

Interesting comments, like you say dogs will eat anything given the opportunity.
    My dogs are fed a Raw diet, with a supplement of raw eggs,bones, added chicken/duck carcass, lamb ribs etc all uncooked and some vegetables mainly Carrots frozen in the hot weather. (Cooked bones splinter and increase the chances of a dog choking).
    With a vegan diet and based on whats good for the dog and not what you believe, can you be sure a dog is getting a balanced diet? For example, I love a cream cake, so based on what I like would I feed my dogs a diet of Black forest Gateaux? Of course I wouldn't.
  • edited July 2018

https://youtu.be/Ac5XAgqrPjI

how good is vegan pasta and is it better to buy it or make your own?

Fresh pasta is out because of the egg so just buy a box of the dried sheets straight off the shelf, that’s what I do @cafcdave123
  • Leuth said:

iainment said:

What are your views on the deforestation caused by increased soya plantations? Good for the planet?
    https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming/stop-deforestation/whats-driving-deforestation#.W0RwRnPTWdN
  • I have read here that it is natural for humans to eat meat, and that a meat based diet is a 'normal' diet. I understand why people use those terms, but the converse is to suggest that a no meat diet is unnatural or abnormal.
    Personally I would say that a meat based diet is commonplace in our present society, and veganism and vegetarianism much less commonplace rather than the negative suggestions in abnormal or unnatural.
    Speaking from a narrow and personal perspective I find it a bit disconcerting seeing people happily munching on meat and fish, a bit like hearing people saying smacking children is OK, but I recognize that my perspective is very much a personal and minority one.
    On the other hand I never need reminding that many others see my vegetarianism as weird.
  • bobmunro said:

Stevelamb said:

One request...........

I do not have to kill an animal for food.

And here lies the problem (and if you will excuse the pun) in a nut shell.
  • Yep, it’s steak but made from plants. Hail seitan!

https://youtu.be/bJM7d_fstJA
  • Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

Leuth said:

iainment said:

Fact you say?

Was just another example of how something in small doses is bad for you but not fatal. Similar to how probably eating red meat once a month will decrease your chances of having heart disease compared to someone who eats it every day

With the experts it's hard to know who to believe if you are a neutral. There are suspect things like how companies who are massive players in the processed food industries fund the American diabetes association. There's more but one last time watch it yourself and stop asking me, otherwise you're just baiting a this point and aren't actually interested.

Also what do you mean by I think we are getting somewhere?
  • edited July 2018

bobmunro said:

Stevelamb said:

One request...........

It isn't making the case against veganism but clearly makes a case that it is entirely natural for humans to eat meat.
    This thread is proper weird....maybe even challenging the takeover thread in that regard?

Surely the simple fact that so many people eat meat is enough to prove that it’s a ‘natural’ thing to do?

I love eating meat.
    I would not class myself as an animal ‘lover’
    I do not have any pets
    I would not enjoy killing an animal for food
    I do not have to kill an animal for food
    I will carry on eating meat

Vegans - Eat what you like and believe what you like....just don’t try and force your beliefs on others.

Meat eaters - Eat what you like and believe what you like....just don’t try and force your beliefs on others.
    Although none of your points are wrong one that stands out as being wrong is you do actually kill animals by buying meat. You are funding the organisations.

I don't want to hear the argument of 'well not everyone is gonna stop so why should I' there's a reason massive food chain companies are selling more vegan options now and big supermarkets increasing in their* vegan stock. Supply and demand.

Of course enjoy meat though I don't care just how can you say you don't kill the animals when you are responsible by eating them?

Absolutely bizarre. So you're ok with millions and millions of animals dying for nothing more than taste yet because someone is feeding their dog vegan food he is a 'fucking sicko'.

Have a word