Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• edited July 2018
    That is a perfect post to explain my thoughts on it @Dippenhall
  • Out of interest did anyone actually watch any of the videos suggested?
  • Thought I would just add as well that calling someone preachy is tedious and a lazy way of bringing them down, especially on a thread about the subject they want to discuss. If he was belting it out on a thread titled the great summer steak out I could probably understand the calling him it, but it's not.

This thread sort of reminds me of the vegan advert being used at cinemas to push veganism and it facing a basklash of complaints. Hilarious really when you can't avoid seeing an advert for meat or dairy and then one advert comes on and it had people up in arms calling it preaching and how they can eat what they want.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/22/first-vegan-cinema-advert-reported-asa-pig-farmers/amp/
  • Maybe both of you should the selective viewing approach to the meat and dairy ads you can't avoid. Nothing to defend about the provenance of the sources then I guess?
  • @Braziliance / @Stevelamb - Do you think it's healthy to put a baby on a vegan diet when they are ready to move to solids?
  • Maybe both of you should the selective viewing approach to the meat and dairy ads you can't avoid. Nothing to defend about the provenance of the sources then I guess?

Sorry not following you mate?
  • WSS said:

@Braziliance / @Stevelamb - Do you think it's healthy to put a baby on a vegan diet when they are ready to move to solids?

Tbh I am not sure. I know of a lot of vegan families that have raised their kids fine but then I've heard stories of kids lacking in Iron etc. Then again I've heard of stories of kids being on a normal diet and being fine and then not fine growing up.

I'll look into it more but I imagine genetics could play a huge part in how well a kid responds to a diet growing up?

I would rather a kid eat what he/she has to eat to grow healthily if required obviously though. Same as people taking medicine.
  • Sponsored links:

• WSS said:

@Braziliance / @Stevelamb - Do you think it's healthy to put a baby on a vegan diet when they are ready to move to solids?

Tbh I am not sure. I know of a lot of vegan families that have raised their kids fine but then I've heard stories of kids lacking in Iron etc. Then again I've heard of stories of kids being on a normal diet and being fine and then not fine growing up.

I'll look into it more but I imagine genetics could play a huge part in how well a kid responds to a diet growing up?

I would rather a kid eat what he/she has to eat to grow healthily if required obviously though. Same as people taking medicine.
    So long as they get Vit B12 and Vit D I see no reason why not. We often go to vegan festivals and they are full of kids being raised vegan and none are ill so no I see no problem putting a baby on a vegan diet once they are ready to move to solids.
  • edited July 2018

Out of interest did anyone actually watch any of the videos suggested?

I haven't for three reasons:

1. I'm very cautious about what videos I watch in public. Party because I don't want to fill the air with noise that others might not appreciate. Partly because I don't know exactly what the content is and I don't want others to label me as an oddbod if it's a bit far out.

2. I don't take videos very seriously as a method of conveying scientific facts or intellectual arguments. There are too many preachy, evangelical pseudo-scientists who are quite happy to strut their stuff in front of an audience/camera but rather less committed to actually undertaking genuine research and submitting it for peer review. I had a hunch that the videos posted here might be like this.

3. Selfish, self-protection from any brutal images that I wouldn't be able to erase from my mind.

Given the responses I've seen here, I'm glad I chose not to.

Sorry not following you mate?
    Likewise, maybe it is some sort of fake news.
  • steve if you dont mind me asking what is a typical days meals
  • edited July 2018
  • Greenie said:

steve if you dont mind me asking what is a typical days meals

Dust
    As dust often includes human and animal hair and skin I doubt it
  • edited July 2018
    Stig said:

Out of interest did anyone actually watch any of the videos suggested?

I haven't for three reasons:

1. I'm very cautious about what videos I watch in public. Party because I don't want to fill the air with noise that others might not appreciate. Partly because I don't know exactly what the content is and I don't want others to label me as an oddbod if it's a bit far out.

2. I don't take videos very seriously as a method of conveying scientific facts or intellectual arguments. There are too many preachy, evangelical pseudo-scientists who are quite happy to strut their stuff in front of an audience/camera but rather less committed to actually undertaking genuine research and submitting it for peer review. I had a hunch that the videos posted here might be like this.

3. Selfish, self-protection from any brutal images that I wouldn't be able to erase from my mind.

Given the responses I've seen here, I'm glad I chose not to.
    1. Headphones.

2. These are documentaries I have suggested not just people rambling. Again how can you shut it down without even attempting to watch?

3. That's why I have said I would question someone's morality if their views stayed the same after watching soemthing like Cowspiracy or Earthlings. For the record as well there are a lot of respectable and not seen as 'oddbods' celebrities who are vegan and are on record saying that earthlings is why they made the switch. So it's hardly some mumbo jumbo. Documentaries backed by hard evidence.

What do you mean by given the responses on here?
  • steve if you dont mind me asking what is a typical days meals

This is a typical working day.

I start the day with a pint of cashew milk and add to it 2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds a quarter of a teaspoon of turmeric and freshly ground black pepper.
    Next is strawberries about 20-30.
    Next is toast or crumpets with marmite or peanut butter.
    Then I have a couple of wraps filled with houmous, lettuce,red peppers,radish and sweet chilli sauce.
    Next about 40 blueberries or a couple of oranges or bananas.
    Next is a pint of tomato juice with a splash of Worcester sauce.
    Loads of water.
    I tend not to eat of an evening lol.

The weekends differ if we go out it will be an indian, thai, chinese, japanese, or a restaurant that offers vegan options such as zizi, or for something special the OXO tower or Tredwells, Vanilla Black there are just loads to be had.

Also my wife is vegan and a wonderful cook.
    We also run a vegan B&B in SE12.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stevelamb said:

I start the day with a pint of cashew milk and add to it 2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds a quarter of a teaspoon of turmeric and freshly ground black pepper.
    Then I have a couple of wraps filled with houmous, lettuce,red peppers,radish and sweet chilli sauce.
    Loads of water.

The weekends differ if we go out it will be an indian, thai, chinese, japanese, or a restaurant that offers vegan options such as zizi, or for something special the OXO tower or Tredwells, Vanilla Black there are just loads to be had.

Not surprised you don’t eat in the evening, you must be too busy on the bog.
    I bet he has to pat it down with a shovel.
  • Stevelamb said:

Loads of water.

Not surprised you don’t eat in the evening, you must be too busy on the bog.
    Beat me to it. I’m afraid that diet would do me no good at all.
  • Due to a staff crisis i will be working the Vegan vibe tonight so i’ll give it a try.
  • DESCRIPTION
    Greenwich Market & Plant Bass LDN are back with their new monthly collaboration to bring you the best Vegan Street Food, Vegan Drinks, & most importantly Vegan Vibes!!
    This time, aswel as Dj's & ping pong, will be the addition of talks by a few hardworking individuals with inspirational and educational stories. Watch this space for more info on that. Till then you can feast your eyes on this absolutely stunning line up of greatness!!

VEGAN VIBES LINE UP

LITTLE LEAF FOOD, VEGANAUTI, RED TENT ETHIOPIA, RENEE'S KITCHEN, EN ROOT, PIGOUT, VEGAN GARDEN, SHAKEY SHAKEY, HIPPIE TURKS, FEEL GOOD CAFE,
    BIFFS JACK SHACK, V-BURGER CAMDEN, MARLI'S KITCHEN, KALLY COOKS, PATTY BY NATURE

OSU COCONUTS, CITY JUICES, LA PAPAPAN

SPECIAL GUEST - KASIA ETHICAL WARE

WILDE JASMINE, BYE EDEN SKINCARE, VEGAN ACCOUNTANT, VEGAN LARDER, MCKINLEY & PAGET, TGA

TAGS
    Things To Do In London Party Food & Drink
    SHARE WITH FRIENDS
    Facebook Facebook Messenger LinkedIn Twitter email

DATE AND TIME
    Fri 13 July 2018

18:00 – 22:30 BST

Add to Calendar

7a College Approach

London

SE10 9HY

I am unable to make this venue this evening as it is Friday 13th July and today I start my 60th year on the planet.
    Back on here Monday. Hope you all have a great weekend.

Stephen the Vegan.
  • Stevelamb said:

All makes sense now.
  • Stevelamb said:

All makes sense now.
    It’s called Windy villas.
  • Stevelamb said:

WSS said:

So long as they get Vit B12 and Vit D I see no reason why not. We often go to vegan festivals and they are full of kids being raised vegan and none are ill so no I see no problem putting a baby on a vegan diet once they are ready to move to solids.
    You can’t necessarily look at someone and tell if they are well or ill.

If they’re ill they’ll probably be at home rather than a festival.
    Stevelamb said:

Loads of water.

Blimey, thats a fruit intake, I guess the body gets used to it.

Where abouts is the B&B in SE12...??
  • ">Have any of the vegans on here had kids? Did you start feeding them a vegan based diet from 6 months/a year old?
    Yes. But fed solids much earlier than 6 months. When she was about two and a half years old we let her eat chocolate easter eggs because it seemed cruel not to let her scoff chocolate like her little buddies. Carob easter eggs were a bit naff then. Now a healthy thirty something vegan and very successful to boot. Only a very distant Addick though, despite my artful endeavours. (Mind you she still has her Charlton Teddy bear...)