Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Stevelamb said:

Cholesterol is a vital component of our cells, which is why our body makes all that we need

For most eating a conventional western diet, plaque accumulates inside the coronary arteries that feed our heart muscle. This plaque buildup, known as atherosclerosis, is the hardening of the arteries by pockets of cholesterol-rich fatty material that builds up beneath the inner linings of the blood vessels. This process seems to occur over decades, slowly bulging into the space inside the arteries, narrowing the path for blood to flow.

The restriction of blood circulation to the heart may lead to chest pain and pressure when people try to exert themselves. If the plaque ruptures, a blood clot may form within the artery. This sudden blockage of blood flow may cause a heart attack, damaging or even killing part of the heart.

A large body of evidence shows there were once enormous swaths of the world where the coronary heart disease epidemic seemed to be almost non-existent, such as rural China and sub-Saharan Africa. It’s not genetics: When people move from low- to high-risk areas, their disease rates appear to skyrocket as they adopt the diet and lifestyle habits of their new homes. The extraordinarily low rates of heart disease in rural China and Africa have been attributed to the extraordinarily low cholesterol levels among these populations. Though Chinese and African diets are very different, they are both centered on plant-derived foods, such as grains and vegetables. By eating so much fiber and so little animal fat, their total cholesterol levels averaged under 150 mg/dL, similar to people eating contemporary strictly plant-based diets.

According to William C. Roberts, editor in chief of the American Journal of Cardiology, the only critical risk factor for atherosclerotic plaque buildup is cholesterol, specifically elevated LDL cholesterol in our blood. To drastically reduce LDL cholesterol levels, it appears we need to drastically reduce our intake of trans fat, which comes from processed foods and naturally from meat and dairy; saturated fat, found mainly in animal products and junk foods; and, playing a lesser role, dietary cholesterol, found exclusively in animal-derived foods, especially eggs.

Notice the pattern? The three boosters of bad cholesterol—the number-one risk factor for our number-one killer—all stem from eating processed foods and animal products. This likely explains why populations living on traditional diets revolving around whole plant foods have largely remained free from the epidemic of heart disease.

Can you provide the link to a study that shows Vegans have a greater life expectancy?

There are many factors to life expectancy - simply being a vegan won't guarantee good health. Too much meat in your diet at the expense of vegetables and fibre is unlikely to benefit an individual but again it's about balance.
    I know that. I’m trying to see if SteveLamb does. The best result you can have in the survival stakes is to live as healthily as you can and more important still is to inherit good genes.

• Stevelamb said:

Cholesterol is a vital component of our cells, which is why our body makes all that we need

For most eating a conventional western diet, plaque accumulates inside the coronary arteries that feed our heart muscle. This plaque buildup, known as atherosclerosis, is the hardening of the arteries by pockets of cholesterol-rich fatty material that builds up beneath the inner linings of the blood vessels. This process seems to occur over decades, slowly bulging into the space inside the arteries, narrowing the path for blood to flow.

The restriction of blood circulation to the heart may lead to chest pain and pressure when people try to exert themselves. If the plaque ruptures, a blood clot may form within the artery. This sudden blockage of blood flow may cause a heart attack, damaging or even killing part of the heart.

A large body of evidence shows there were once enormous swaths of the world where the coronary heart disease epidemic seemed to be almost non-existent, such as rural China and sub-Saharan Africa. It’s not genetics: When people move from low- to high-risk areas, their disease rates appear to skyrocket as they adopt the diet and lifestyle habits of their new homes. The extraordinarily low rates of heart disease in rural China and Africa have been attributed to the extraordinarily low cholesterol levels among these populations. Though Chinese and African diets are very different, they are both centered on plant-derived foods, such as grains and vegetables. By eating so much fiber and so little animal fat, their total cholesterol levels averaged under 150 mg/dL, similar to people eating contemporary strictly plant-based diets.

According to William C. Roberts, editor in chief of the American Journal of Cardiology, the only critical risk factor for atherosclerotic plaque buildup is cholesterol, specifically elevated LDL cholesterol in our blood. To drastically reduce LDL cholesterol levels, it appears we need to drastically reduce our intake of trans fat, which comes from processed foods and naturally from meat and dairy; saturated fat, found mainly in animal products and junk foods; and, playing a lesser role, dietary cholesterol, found exclusively in animal-derived foods, especially eggs.

Notice the pattern? The three boosters of bad cholesterol—the number-one risk factor for our number-one killer—all stem from eating processed foods and animal products. This likely explains why populations living on traditional diets revolving around whole plant foods have largely remained free from the epidemic of heart disease.

Can you provide the link to a study that shows Vegans have a greater life expectancy?

There are many factors to life expectancy - simply being a vegan won't guarantee good health. Too much meat in your diet at the expense of vegetables and fibre is unlikely to benefit an individual but again it's about balance.
    I know that. I’m trying to see if SteveLamb does. The best result you can have in the survival stakes is to live as healthily as you can and more important still is to inherit good genes.

I reckon sugar, alcohol, fags and no exercise stuff your chances of making a good age....
  • edited August 2018
    Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

So, back to the Japanese fish diet.
    Longest life expectancy in the world.

Notice the pattern?
    Please use the most up to date information.....so old hat and ill informed.
    The key to the Japanese long life is the sweet purple potato.
    Do some research.
    Wow!
    Amazing reply.
    If you believe that, you seriously need to check your sources.

Why can't you accept that a balanced diet including fish, results in a long life expectancy, averaged out over millions of people.

Unless you think the handful of vegans in Japan have skewed their life expectancy.

PS, it is very rarely eaten outside of Okinawa.
  • Just out of interest to any of the Vegan/Vegetarians on here, what are your views on eating mussels and oysters? i'm almost certain i know what the answer will be i'm just curious becuase my mate who is otherwise vegetarian eats them, if they have been hand farmed

Im the same with me strict veganism, ill only eat lamb if it has been cuddled for the first year of its life

*disclaimer I am not a vegan
  • shine166 said:

Just out of interest to any of the Vegan/Vegetarians on here, what are your views on eating mussels and oysters? i'm almost certain i know what the answer will be i'm just curious becuase my mate who is otherwise vegetarian eats them, if they have been hand farmed

Im the same with me strict veganism, ill only eat lamb if it has been cuddled for the first year of its life

Unfortunately that is unlikely given that the average age of a lamb to slaughter is 6-8 months.

If only they didn’t taste so damn good.....the king of meat for me.
  • shine166 said:

Just out of interest to any of the Vegan/Vegetarians on here, what are your views on eating mussels and oysters? i'm almost certain i know what the answer will be i'm just curious becuase my mate who is otherwise vegetarian eats them, if they have been hand farmed

Unfortunately that is unlikely given that the average age of a lamb to slaughter is 6-8 months.

If only they didn’t taste so damn good.....the king of meat for me.
    Yeah I wasn't giving a factual lecture... just taking the piss out of some peoples logic.
  • Decided to give a plant based diet a go.

So I start with having at least 3 plant based foods on my plate and then add what I like to call plant eaters to my meal.

100% plant based.

Includes high protein, vitamins, minerals and tastes fantastic.
  • Stevelamb said:

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/why-do-vegans-live-longer/

• An unbiased link might be more believable... Just saying...
  • Nothing beats being preached at about health, by a stick thin leaf eater that rides his bike to work along the poluted London roads.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ironic that the thought of a vegan only diet makes me want to die
  • Ironic that the thought of a vegan only diet makes me want to die

Calm down Gary.
  • Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

I don't believe there is a definitive study that proves your argument - a lot of the debate is over simplistic and doesn't take into account other factors.

• Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

I don't believe there is a definitive study that proves your argument - a lot of the debate is over simplistic and doesn't take into account other factors.

Also, what do they mean by 'processed' meat ? buying chicken or bacon from a local farmer .. is surely different from buying meat from a massive chain of shops ?
  • shine166 said:

Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Also, what do they mean by 'processed' meat ? buying chicken or bacon from a local farmer .. is surely different from buying meat from a massive chain of shops ?
    I don't think there are any in depth scientific studies that have proven the benefits of a vegan diet. A vegan diet may be healthier but there are so many factors affecting life expectancy that an exhaustive study would be difficult to carry out.

• Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

There isn't. And there can't be, really. Human beings live for an inordinately long time. You would need a sample study of millions, across all geographic, ethnic and social classes, taken completely at random, over their entire lifetime to make a comparative study worthwhile. What Steve and the other nutters who shout VEGANISM from the rooftops don't understand is that Correlation does not equal Causation. It's the exact same thing that the anti-vaccine loons get wrong. Just because you believe something to be responsible for a specific outciome, doesn't necessarily make it so
  • Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Sorry but you’re going to have to come up with better than that. I want to see a study carried out on a medical research basis that is published and is peer reviewed. Not some opinions produced by people selling a lifestyle.

Utter nonsense.

• Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Sorry but you’re going to have to come up with better than that. I want to see a study carried out on a medical research basis that is published and is peer reviewed. Not some opinions produced by people selling a lifestyle.

Utter nonsense.

There are no studies - they would be almost impossible to carry out.

• Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Utter nonsense.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/vegan-meat-life-expectancy-eggs-dairy-research-a7168036.html

https://prime.peta.org/2012/11/longer

https://thetab.com/uk/2018/03/16/vegetarians-will-live-longer-than-meat-eaters-according-to-scientific-research-62589

https://www.menshealth.com.au/vegans-live-longer-than-meat-eaters
  • Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Utter nonsense.

My point exactly. In the absence of studies to the contrary @Stevelamb needs to stop peddling utter nonsense about vegans avoiding disease demographics.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Utter nonsense.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/vegan-meat-life-expectancy-eggs-dairy-research-a7168036.html

https://thetab.com/uk/2018/03/16/vegetarians-will-live-longer-than-meat-eaters-according-to-scientific-research-62589

As I said before there are no definitive studies that prove your argument. Selective studies that don't take into account other factors don't really prove anything.

There are numerous factors that need to be taken into account when undertaking a study regarding mortality. If the study isn't large enough, is poorly designed or there are other possible explanations for the findings then the result is meaningless.

I can see there are health benefits to being a vegan but it doesn't mean you have to be vegan to be healthy.

• Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

Utter nonsense.

The only link worth giving thought to is the one that takes you to the American Osteopathic Association study which bases its conclusions on retrospective studies of small studies. It’s worth reading.

I will research this and I’m expecting that there will be studies that contradict this one.

• Funny how vegans seem to be the only people not commenting on this thread. Guess we'll just leave you nay-sayers to it.
  • When I saw the title of this thread, I opened it up thinking that it was going to be about a new Dr Who episode.

Anyway, for what it's worth (not a lot), my first experience of veganism was in 1993 when I worked with a girl who was vegan.

All I remember about her is that she looked deathly pale all of the time and was constantly off sick with some virus or the other. Just a tangible observation, that's all. I'm guessing that at the time (c1993), she would have struggled to find the balanced vegan food that is available today(?).

It's a lifestyle choice that I wouldn't subscribe to, but nonetheless, it's a lifestyle choice.
  • Every time I see comparative diet surveys, the "meat eaters " used always seem to be fat bastards who live on burgers and junk food, which is hardly a fair representation of the health benefits or not of the omnivore diet.
  • Stevelamb said:

A report from a group promoting plant based diets looking to support their pre-conceived views. There are other reports from scientists with pre-concieved views supporting the view that cholesterol is not bad.

NHS have tried to give a balanced point of view;

It has long been thought that cholesterol is a key cause of the fatty build-up in arteries (atherosclerosis) that causes heart disease. However, the researchers say there are contradictions to this view. Recent research has suggested that total cholesterol becomes less of a risk factor for all-cause or cardiovascular mortality the older people get. Less is known about LDL specifically and that's what this research aimed to look at.
    A systematic review is the best way of gathering evidence from cohort studies that have looked at the link between an exposure or risk factor and an outcome. However, the strength of a review's findings is only as good as the studies they include. In cohort studies, it is often difficult to directly attribute an outcome to a specific cause, and there is always the potential that other factors are influencing the outcome.
  • Funny how vegans seem to be the only people not commenting on this thread. Guess we'll just leave you nay-sayers to it.

Ah the old palace, 'we don't care about you' gambit...nice ;)
  • I don't mind vegans, but I couldn't eat a whole one.
  • Wasn’t aware penis growth was one of the touted benefits of veganism, explains the slightly odd thread title