Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2022
    @DaveMehmet

There’s the London Golf Academy based at Bexleyheath, not sure whether they do kids lessons but assume so.

If you do get back into it give me a shout if fancy a round up there with me and Rosey in the summer 
  • Options
    Played North Downs GC on Sunday. Shot an 87 😀
  • Options
    @DaveMehmet

There’s the London Golf Academy based at Bexleyheath, not sure whether they do kids lessons but assume so.

If you do get back into it give me a shout if fancy a round up there with me and Rosey in the summer 
    Cheers mate 
  • Options
    Swung a club for the first time in about 15 years a few weeks ago at the driving range as my daughter's started to play. Considering I'm still recovering from a torn rotator cuff, I'm actually hitting it fairly well.

My daughter had a few lessons at school and has a fairly good technique but my teaching skills are limited, I used to play a lot but was fairly average.

I can tell her the basics (keep your head down, stance etc) but she could really do with proper lessons. Can anyone recommend anywhere that does 1 2 1 lessons for younger golfers (she's 13) and also any par 3 courses? 

Give Pedham Place a ring, i've heard that the pro there is pretty good,also a decent 9 hole par 3 course which is never that busy👍
    The Paul Page golf academy is a delightful par 3 course in the grounds of Dartford football club,Paul is an excellent coach ,I have had lessons from him even in my late seventies,he is very good,and teaches at all levels of ability.
  • Options
    Swung a club for the first time in about 15 years a few weeks ago at the driving range as my daughter's started to play. Considering I'm still recovering from a torn rotator cuff, I'm actually hitting it fairly well.

My daughter had a few lessons at school and has a fairly good technique but my teaching skills are limited, I used to play a lot but was fairly average.

I can tell her the basics (keep your head down, stance etc) but she could really do with proper lessons. Can anyone recommend anywhere that does 1 2 1 lessons for younger golfers (she's 13) and also any par 3 courses? 

Give Pedham Place a ring, i've heard that the pro there is pretty good,also a decent 9 hole par 3 course which is never that busy👍
    The Paul Page golf academy is a delightful par 3 course in the grounds of Dartford football club,Paul is an excellent coach ,I have had lessons from him even in my late seventies,he is very good,and teaches at all levels of ability.
    My mate’s boy has lessons with him. Speaks very highly of him
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

My mate’s boy has lessons with him. Speaks very highly of him

He is a very good coach,does not over complicate things,and just makes sure the basics are right and goes from there.
    He has a lovely photo on his wall of him and Tiger shaking hands after they played as amateurs.
  • Options
    Great news that Barnehurst Golf Course is being taken over by American Golf:

https://www.bexley.gov.uk/news/american-golf-re-open-barnehurst-golf-course
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Yes hopefully they get it in good condition, good for the locals with the adventure golf, shop, track man range etc. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2022
    paulfox said:
    Macronate said:

Yes hopefully they get it in good condition, good for the locals with the adventure golf, shop, track man range etc. 
    Don't know where they are going to fit all that in. Last time I played there the "pro shop" was just a small hut near the 1st tee. There was a practic area to the left of the 9th/18th so I suppose they can develop that. 

I wonder if they will look to remodel the 3rd/12th or just tell the owner of the house to remember he bought the place knowing there was a golf course backing onto his garden & not to moan if a few stray balls hit his roof !!
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Macronate said:

Don't know where they are going to fit all that in. Last time I played there the "pro shop" was just a small hut near the 1st tee. There was a practic area to the left of the 9th/18th so I suppose they can develop that. 

I wonder if they will look to remodel the 3rd/12th or just tell the owner of the house to remember he bought the place knowing there was a golf course backing onto his garden & not to moan if a few stray balls hit his roof !!
    Depends on the attitude of the local council but Cherry Lodge had to completely remodel a hole a few years ago to take out a dog leg that went perilously close to a garden. It’s now a much shorter and less interesting  par 4. The dispute the with the neighbour went on for many years but the “you knew what was behind you when you bought it matey” argument eventually lost out. I can’t remember whether the club just decided in the end that life was too short or whether they lost a decision on the subject and were forced to make the change. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Macronate said:

Lol, yes not sure how it’s all going to be done, quite intrigued to see, didn’t they move the tee box for that par 3 towards the house because of the amount of balls hitting the roof a while back?. It would be a shame if that did it all half heartedly because of lack of space, but I guess all that would have been taken into account when plans were put into place.🤷🏻‍♂️. I do like the idea with it just being around the corner, my little boy would love it.
  • Options
    Played the New course at Burhill yesterday a disappointing 95 but enjoyed the company I was with which helps a couple more weeks and the course should be back up to speed and once the leaves all come out on the trees the Old course will be worth another bash (Will be hitting that one in 4 weeks)
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Macronate said:

Lol, yes not sure how it’s all going to be done, quite intrigued to see, didn’t they move the tee box for that par 3 towards the house because of the amount of balls hitting the roof a while back?. It would be a shame if that did it all half heartedly because of lack of space, but I guess all that would have been taken into account when plans were put into place.🤷🏻‍♂️. I do like the idea with it just being around the corner, my little boy would love it.
    Yes, it used to be a par 4 around 20 years ago. The tee was right back and you played it with a slight dog-leg, laying up at the bottom where the house is (unless you were brave enough to go for it in 1).
  • Options
    really pleased with barnehurst news i live 5 mins away so handy for me, since its closed i dont play as much, cousin is a member at pedham and i know they have closed 7 day memberships atm due to popularity. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    Macronate said:

Yes, it used to be a par 4 around 20 years ago. The tee was right back and you played it with a slight dog-leg, laying up at the bottom where the house is (unless you were brave enough to go for it in 1).
    Wow!! Was it that long ago.😂, I remember it like yesterday 😜
  • Options
    Anyone played The Shire ?
    I'm playing there Monday and just wanna know if its a decent track 
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    Anyone played The Shire ?
    I'm playing there Monday and just wanna know if its a decent track 
    Yes played a few years ago, it was ok, par 3 1st hole, I think there are no holes to par the same next to each other. The only seve designed course in England. Enjoy the round.👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brilliant post @RedPanda cheers for documenting this. Very jealous of your trips 
  • Options
    Out of interest, how does the logistics work out? You fly to where and hire a car? 
  • Options
    @DaveMehmet

We went with Pedham place in the end, can thoroughly recommend it, her swing is really coming on.

Took her to the 9 hole par 3 at Dartford a couple of weeks ago for her first ever round. She parred the first hole (some of the subsequent holes weren't quite as good but a decent start).
  • Options
    Out of interest, how does the logistics work out? You fly to where and hire a car? 
    It's been a mixture. I have a motorbike licence instead of car (further delayed by covid) so am a bit hamstrung. However I know a Scot trying to complete its top 100 courses so he's helped me out and he's had some company on his way.

Ayrshire you can fly to Glasgow or I've got the train. There are so many courses along the railway from Irvine to Ayr and lots by stations. Turnberry is remote so I had to get a taxi from Ayr in the morning then bus back in the evening.

East Lothian (eg Muirfield & Gullane) I've got the train to Edinburgh then North Berwick is 30 mins extra by train. The bus service is pretty good for getting around that coast.

St Andrews I've been driven and also got the train to Leuchars (15 mins from St Andrews) then flown home from Dundee. Carnoustie is easy by train from there as well.

I haven't been to the Highlands yet, largely because it is a pain without a car. My buddy hasn't been up to the Dornoch area so hopefully next year I'll meet him in Glasgow or Inverness then get shuttled around. 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    I’ve just had my final Scottish golf binge for a while. Played some more around the Troon area then over to the Mull of Kintyre, a long drive but very scenic. 

Glasgow Gailes – it’s okay, a flat links/heathland but quite uninspiring. Oddly this is a 36 hole club but the 2 courses are 25+ miles apart. 

Troon (muni) Lochgreen - £37 on a Sunday morning with some boring holes but also very good holes. Sells itself as the course Nicklaus qualified for his first Open on.

Dundonald – it is good but it’s obviously manmade and the greens are not links greens. I prefer a purer Scottish vibe whereas this is probably more tailored to Americans.

Barassie – a real surprise and highlight. Has a lot of bold yet subtle holes. Shares a border with Dundonald who apparently want to buy this land to build even more lodges. All these courses above are more or less adjoined, there is a ridiculous quantity of golf between Irvine and Prestwick.

Turnberry Ailsa – my final Open course and it lives up to the hype. Doesn’t have a weak hole, really interesting greens and drop-offs plus the scenery obviously.

Turnberry Robert The Bruce – a few stunning holes by the sea but otherwise threading your ball between gorse, which may as well be water. In fact it’s worse as technically you can’t just drop a your ball entered the ‘hazard’.

Then the 3-4 hours drive north then south past Loch Lomond to the Mull of Kintyre.

Machrihanish Dunes – quite a new course but wild and rugged with minimal maintenance to keep it natural. Some crazy fairways, greens and blind shots but no (or very little) earth was moved to create it. 

Dunaverty – 4500 yards up and down hills in 50 mph+ winds. If it was a football ground it’d be a good tick but probably not somewhere you’d go back to.

Machrihanish – amazing front 9, tamer back 9 inland. Wacky greens and fairways again not man-made. Below is the opening tee shot. It’s under 6000 yards but I got the absolute cr*p beaten out of me. 

All my courses were either long (playing with members) or very windy so I was kind of happy to come home in the end. It’s the first trip where I’ve had to make an emergency golf ball purchase.

Regarding Open courses – I’d put Portrush and Turnberry as the objective best but RSG is still my favourite. I found Portrush hardest because of wind and also it has the toughest raised greens and drop-offs, you need to shape shots to hold them and/or have a good recovery game. Helps explain why Lowry won there. I reckon Carnoustie and Lytham have the hardest finishes.

My home territory. Barassie is great. Great post. Cheers. 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    I’ve just had my final Scottish golf binge for a while. Played some more around the Troon area then over to the Mull of Kintyre, a long drive but very scenic. 

Glasgow Gailes – it’s okay, a flat links/heathland but quite uninspiring. Oddly this is a 36 hole club but the 2 courses are 25+ miles apart. 

Troon (muni) Lochgreen - £37 on a Sunday morning with some boring holes but also very good holes. Sells itself as the course Nicklaus qualified for his first Open on.

Dundonald – it is good but it’s obviously manmade and the greens are not links greens. I prefer a purer Scottish vibe whereas this is probably more tailored to Americans.

Barassie – a real surprise and highlight. Has a lot of bold yet subtle holes. Shares a border with Dundonald who apparently want to buy this land to build even more lodges. All these courses above are more or less adjoined, there is a ridiculous quantity of golf between Irvine and Prestwick.

Turnberry Ailsa – my final Open course and it lives up to the hype. Doesn’t have a weak hole, really interesting greens and drop-offs plus the scenery obviously.

Turnberry Robert The Bruce – a few stunning holes by the sea but otherwise threading your ball between gorse, which may as well be water. In fact it’s worse as technically you can’t just drop a your ball entered the ‘hazard’.

Then the 3-4 hours drive north then south past Loch Lomond to the Mull of Kintyre.

Machrihanish Dunes – quite a new course but wild and rugged with minimal maintenance to keep it natural. Some crazy fairways, greens and blind shots but no (or very little) earth was moved to create it. 

Dunaverty – 4500 yards up and down hills in 50 mph+ winds. If it was a football ground it’d be a good tick but probably not somewhere you’d go back to.

Machrihanish – amazing front 9, tamer back 9 inland. Wacky greens and fairways again not man-made. Below is the opening tee shot. It’s under 6000 yards but I got the absolute cr*p beaten out of me. 

All my courses were either long (playing with members) or very windy so I was kind of happy to come home in the end. It’s the first trip where I’ve had to make an emergency golf ball purchase.

Regarding Open courses – I’d put Portrush and Turnberry as the objective best but RSG is still my favourite. I found Portrush hardest because of wind and also it has the toughest raised greens and drop-offs, you need to shape shots to hold them and/or have a good recovery game. Helps explain why Lowry won there. I reckon Carnoustie and Lytham have the hardest finishes.

The times I've played in Scotland I've driven - only 1 time have I flown but that was a works do.

Played Machrihanish & remember the 1st hole. Playing partner made a point of going into the pro shop (if you can all it that - just a hut by the 1st tee) and asking if the beach was OOB. Told it was not & was part of the course. 2 mins later he goes back in to ask if he can play from the beach.....🙂. My tee shot managed to clear the sand ....but I didn't try cutting as much off as he did. 
  • Options
    Courses played recently 
     Barkway ( herts) in the middle of nowhere,  par 74 ,15.00 a round ..well worth a visit 
    Pedham place...haven't played there for ages ,thought it had matured well 
    Sedlescombe ( hastings end of A21) ,par 72 ..not the best condition but trouble everywhere 
    Highwoods ( just outside bexhill) ..par 70,beautiful condition..highly recommended 

• Options
    @RedPanda
    That is SOME trip
    Turnberry Aisla is visually the greatest course I've played.  Carnoustie the greatest holes but just not as beautiful as Aisla.

Currently off 5.9
    Can't crack getting lower.
    Have just been fitted for a new Stealth+ Driver and new Stealth 3 wood.

If it's not working, change your clubs.  Nobody/nothing else to blame.....
  • Options
    Has anyone played Dudsbury Golf Club in Bournemouth? We are looking at trying to book it for our annual golf weekend