Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    RedPanda said:
    I've played Cobtree Manor a couple of times lately, good value and condition for £19 twilight. Just practice your punch outs beforehand.

I'm sorting a golf trip to Melbourne in a few months' time and it's been painstaking. Most of the big Sandbelt clubs don't respond to emails. When/if you do get through, prices are similar to big British courses except for Royal Melbourne which is costing me more than any course in the UK - and that's only the lesser East course (I think it has 4 holes in the President's Cup composite).

Spieth, Burns and Scheffler were at Lahnich today which is cool, I do appreciate American pros coming over and playing our bucket list courses.
    The contenders play a proper course whilst the also rans compete against each other at a run of the mill parkland course.

2 weeks before the Open you should at least be playing your Open at a links course Mr ROI.
    Adam Scott was there as well. In hindsight they're over early for the JP McManus event at Adare tomorrow, but they're doing it properly
  • Options

This has been sent to Members of Southern Valley

Dear Member,

Due to the uncertainty with the Lower Thames Crossing, the Directors of GRT Holdings have decided to accept an offer for the land currently occupied by Southern Valley Golf Course. It is therefore with regret that we announce that after more than twenty years of operations, we will be closing the business on the 31st of August 2022.

In order to reduce the amount of paperwork we must do once we have closed; we would appreciate if members could use outstanding credit on their accounts and cancel any standing order you may have with your bank before the closure date. We would also appreciate if members who have locker storage, could remove all personal belongings and hand back your keys before the 31st August.

Please be advised that we will contact the relevant golf regulating bodies and your handicaps will be retained on the World Handicap system so there will be no problems transferring them to other clubs once we have closed and you wish to transfer to another club.

We realise that each member has a decision to make on where they would like to continue their golf,  and in an attempt to help out and possibly make things easier, we have been in contact with the senior management of Red Libbets Golf club and they have indicated that they may have availability and may offer new member incentives to Southern Valley members.

We would like to thank you all for your support over the years and wish you all happy and successful golfing.

Yours sincerely

Directors

• Options
    @Taxi_Lad im doing a coastal day later this week, Westgate & Birchington in the morning, North Foreland in the afternoon. Really looking forward to it and praying the weather stays kind 
  • Options
    Westgate not all that but maybe a gentle warm up for the afternoon At NFGC   It’s a proper test. What day ?
  • Options
    shame about southern  valley as quite nice and enjoyable for higher handicappers - was only a matter of time tbh as its never that busy 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Westgate not all that but maybe a gentle warm up for the afternoon At NFGC   It’s a proper test. What day ?
    We're down on Friday. Teeing off at NFGC about 4pm. 

(I'm going with AKFA)
  • Options
    Enjoy! I’m probably not around or would have popped in for a beer 
  • Options
    Had a very enjoyable round on the High Course at Moor Park yesterday greens were just so pure, might give the West course a go next month 
  • Options
    Just played in the Quarter Final of the Royal Blackheath Trophy for my club Sundridge Park against Langley Park. Lost my match narrowly but the team won overall and we’re into the Semi’s. Only the second match I’ve lost all summer (out of 23) so not feeling too disheartened. 

The only real kick in the teeth was he was a Palace fan. Think it spurred him on when I hit my ball into the trees, looked around for the allotted 3 minutes and only found a Pro V1 with a Charlton sword stamped on it, but didn’t find mine!
    Nice course Sundridge Park, my next door neighbours are members there and all CAFC fans + I know a few other members there.
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    Had a very enjoyable round on the High Course at Moor Park yesterday greens were just so pure, might give the West course a go next month 
    West Course the poorer relation but still enjoyable enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Playing Hever today (the proper course, not the Mickey Mouse one) - bit of a long slog, and hopefully it won’t get too hot
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Playing Mannings Heath on Tuesday,looking like its going to be a scorcher. Hopefully i put on a better show than last weeks abysmyl effort at Silvermere!
  • Options
    magic1999 said:

This has been sent to Members of Southern Valley

Dear Member,

Due to the uncertainty with the Lower Thames Crossing, the Directors of GRT Holdings have decided to accept an offer for the land currently occupied by Southern Valley Golf Course. It is therefore with regret that we announce that after more than twenty years of operations, we will be closing the business on the 31st of August 2022.

In order to reduce the amount of paperwork we must do once we have closed; we would appreciate if members could use outstanding credit on their accounts and cancel any standing order you may have with your bank before the closure date. We would also appreciate if members who have locker storage, could remove all personal belongings and hand back your keys before the 31st August.

Please be advised that we will contact the relevant golf regulating bodies and your handicaps will be retained on the World Handicap system so there will be no problems transferring them to other clubs once we have closed and you wish to transfer to another club.

We realise that each member has a decision to make on where they would like to continue their golf,  and in an attempt to help out and possibly make things easier, we have been in contact with the senior management of Red Libbets Golf club and they have indicated that they may have availability and may offer new member incentives to Southern Valley members.

We would like to thank you all for your support over the years and wish you all happy and successful golfing.

Yours sincerely

Directors

That's so shit. It was cheap/casual 

Mid Kent golf club is too expensive and hard to get a membership.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Playing Mannings Heath on Tuesday,looking like its going to be a scorcher. Hopefully i put on a better show than last weeks abysmyl effort at Silvermere!
    Mannings Heath is one of the hilliest (140+) courses I've played. It doesn't look as severe as say Lullingstone but it's constantly down up, down up. Seriously stock up on water/sports drinks or even get a buggy.

I'm at Swinley Forest on Monday, it should be playing mega heath-y in this weather.
  • Options
    My next venture out is Wednesday at Lewes (Golf society day) gonna be a toughie very hilly apparently thank go I have booked on of the 4 buggies they have. after that I think it will be a return trip to Dyrnham Park 
  • Options
    Daunting opening t-shot at Manning's Heath in front of the patio with everyone looking on. I love the closing few holes - typical heathland course

• Options
    RedPanda said:
    Mannings Heath is one of the hilliest (140+) courses I've played. It doesn't look as severe as say Lullingstone but it's constantly down up, down up. Seriously stock up on water/sports drinks or even get a buggy.

I'm at Swinley Forest on Monday, it should be playing mega heath-y in this weather.
    Cheers for the info,have already booked a buggy. Enjoy Swinley!
  • Options
    Daunting opening t-shot at Manning's Heath in front of the patio with everyone looking on. I love the closing few holes - typical heathland course

Thats handy re opening tee shot, i was absolutely woeful off the tee back 9 at Silvermere😄🤦‍♂️ Looking forward to playing though
  • Options
    One of the holes at Mannings Heath is in Gary Player’s top 100 holes in golf - I can’t remember the hole number, but is a real humdinger, with danger everywhere, but stunning hole to look at off the tee - I got a par on it, which I was well chuffed with

Note - there are 2 courses at Mannings - the hole is on the original course, not the new one, which is ok, but nowhere as good as the original 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gutted about Southern Valley,this was ,as one poster said,an ideal course for high handicappers,plenty of par 3s and not too long a course.A lot of the guys I saw playing there where of the age when perhaps they will now not bother to look for other clubs,and this is sad.Kent to my knowledge has lost 4 good clubs over the last few years,Deangate(which is still not being used for anything)Woodlands Manor,Austin Lodge and now southern Valley.If this is typical of the UK in general,it does not bode well for the future of the game here.
  • Options
    Add Beckenham Place to the above ^^
  • Options
    I was a member of both Austin Lodge and Woodlands Manor. Redlibbets survived my jinx. Hopefully north foreland will also🙏🏼
  • Options
    So finally registered my 20th WHS round so have an official hcp. My target was to try and get into single figures, played shit at Chartham park yesterday,87. but I’m sitting on 6.6hcp, quite proud of that considering I’m a once a week player at best. Whether I manage to maintain it is another thing??🤣
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    So finally registered my 20th WHS round so have an official hcp. My target was to try and get into single figures, played shit at Chartham park yesterday,87. but I’m sitting on 6.6hcp, quite proud of that considering I’m a once a week player at best. Whether I manage to maintain it is another thing??🤣
    Well done! I’ve gone out to 11.3 as I’ve had a few good rounds drop out of the equation lately at a time when I’ve not been playing well🤬
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Taxi_Lad said:
    paulfox said:
    Well done! I’ve gone out to 11.3 as I’ve had a few good rounds drop out of the equation lately at a time when I’ve not been playing well🤬
    Cheers,Yes I had a purple patch when I first started registering, so expect mine to creep up a bit. I think realistically Looking at 10 more rounds time,I’d probably be around 10, which I’d be chuffed with really. Who knows🤷🏻‍♂️🤣
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I was a member of both Austin Lodge and Woodlands Manor. Redlibbets survived my jinx. Hopefully north foreland will also🙏🏼
    I was a member at Woodlands - what years were you there ?
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    When Austin Lodge closed we were offered 18 months at Woodlands for a bargain £599 but we didn’t renew after that because it was so boggy in winter. Instead we joined Redlibbets which felt a big step up 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    When Austin Lodge closed we were offered 18 months at Woodlands for a bargain £599 but we didn’t renew after that because it was so boggy in winter. Instead we joined Redlibbets which felt a big step up 
    I was a member at Woodlands when you were there then - there was a bloke who came from Austin Lodge, drove an Audi TT, lived in London (Canary Wharf I think) - I played him in the club singles knock out comp - he got annoyed with me on 16th hole - I was 1 up playing that hole, he carved one into the woods on the left from the fairway - shouted ‘provisional’ dropped a ball and hit a shot that ended up a few inches from the hole - however I had seen where his first ball had gone in - he started to walk to the green, and I said ‘I think I know where your ball is’ - he didn’t want to try and find it, but I found it very quickly in a horrible place behind a tree - took him about 4 shots to get it out, and was by this point fuming - I won the hole with a 7 (it was a par 5) - we halved 17, so I won 2 up

He didn’t speak to me all the way up 17, or shake my hand after 17, and when we got to pro shop he asked the pro what the rule was, and pro said I was right, and that if he hadn’t shouted ‘provisional’ then the first ball was considered ‘dead’

Probably wasn’t a good idea for me to laugh after pro said that 😳

Bloke never spoke to me again 
    Was he an Aussie? 

Knew an Aussie who moved from Austin Lodge to Woodlands and lived near Canary Wharf..

..but I think he drove a Honda!!