Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    I would appreciate some help from you golfers about purchasing a set of clubs and where best for a rookie to start out. This isn't for me  as I haven't played in 40 years and lack the mobility to do so now anyway. It's for my 19 year old son who has done the tennis, the table tennis, is still playing cricket and now wants to turn his hand to a bit of golf - he has been on the range quite a few times and had a couple of lessons some five years ago but he never pursued it because it was actually affecting his batting and specifically his back swing. He has no such worries now because that is entrenched.

Anyway, suffice to say he's a rookie who will nevertheless challenge himself to improve. These are the parameters:

(1) Budget of £500 but can pay a bit more for the right clubs - is that enough for a decent full set or should he go for a half set for that money?

(2) Should he go for a better quality second hand set or buy brand new?

(3) Would he be better served to actually make up a set himself based on feel? He's very particular about the type and feel of his bats, for example, so might that be the case with clubs too?

(4) Lives in Sidcup - are there any really good local pro shops or should he go to somewhere like the nearby American Golf Centre?

(5) On the playing side, are there any clubs within a 10 mile radius that are particularly welcoming to a rookie who will be playing mid week only? The only ones I played in my youth are Sidcup, High Elms, Lullingstone (both courses), Barnehurst, Cray Valley and Bromley but I would not have a clue as to what they are like now.

Many thanks for any recommendations in relation to any of the above
    I would say look at ebay
    You can get a decent set of irons and a hybrid, 3 wood and driver for £500

Look at clubs like

Titleist T300s/T200s
    Ping (most forgiving woods and hybrids)
    Taylor Made

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/equipment/best/used-golf-clubs/

• Options
    Got fitted for a new Stealth Driver and 3 wood about three months ago.  Hit tons of different shafts.  Ended up with heavier shafts in both Driver and 3 Wood.

Biggest issue is - they were BRIGHT YELLOW!  OFFENSIVELY YELLOW.  Like I pull that driver out of the bag in a club match "Who's the knob" yellow!

Still.  They were 20 yards longer and straighter too.

They turned up 4 weeks ago.   Like a pair of new running shoes I took i easy.  Didn't want to hit them wildly first few rounds.

Disaster.  6 poor rounds.   New clubs wayward.  People questioning the fitting and laughing at the yellowness.   Handicap crept from 5.3 to 6.0 WHS.

Dropped myself from my own scratch reserve team that I captain.   

Then yesterday.   Home to the top of the table side.   We had a late pull out so I parachuted myself in.

Hit them beautifully.  Three birdies, three bogeys.  Level par after 15 when we shook hands - a 5&3 win and a team victory moving us to 2nd in the league.

God golf can crush your confidence then bring you back so easily.

I hope it's the start of better things to come.   5 of my next 8 rounds are all WHS counting.  I could be aa high as 7.8 if it goes tits up again....

• Options
    edited June 2022
    supaclive said:
    Got fitted for a new Stealth Driver and 3 wood about three months ago.  Hit tons of different shafts.  Ended up with heavier shafts in both Driver and 3 Wood.

Biggest issue is - they were BRIGHT YELLOW!  OFFENSIVELY YELLOW.  Like I pull that driver out of the bag in a club match "Who's the knob" yellow!

They turned up 4 weeks ago.   Like a pair of new running shoes I took i easy.  Didn't want to hit them wildly first few rounds.

Disaster.  6 poor rounds.   New clubs wayward.  People questioning the fitting and laughing at the yellowness.   Handicap crept from 5.3 to 6.0 WHS.

Then yesterday.   Home to the top of the table side.   We had a late pull out so I parachuted myself in.

Hit them beautifully.  Three birdies, three bogeys.  Level par after 15 when we shook hands - a 5&3 win and a team victory moving us to 2nd in the league.

I hope it's the start of better things to come.   5 of my next 8 rounds are all WHS counting.  I could be aa high as 7.8 if it goes tits up again....

I can say this as someone who played off a similar handicap to you, the advance in technology is mind blowing but I haven’t yet discovered a club that swings itself!  It’s generally the muppet/genius (delete as appropriate) that’s holding on to the rubber end that dictates how well a club performs. Just sayin 😉
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I can say this as someone who played off a similar handicap to you, the advance in technology is mind blowing but I haven’t yet discovered a club that swings itself!  It’s generally the muppet/genius (delete as appropriate) that’s holding on to the rubber end that dictates how well a club performs. Just sayin 😉
    You are SO right!
  • Options
    I would appreciate some help from you golfers about purchasing a set of clubs and where best for a rookie to start out. This isn't for me  as I haven't played in 40 years and lack the mobility to do so now anyway. It's for my 19 year old son who has done the tennis, the table tennis, is still playing cricket and now wants to turn his hand to a bit of golf - he has been on the range quite a few times and had a couple of lessons some five years ago but he never pursued it because it was actually affecting his batting and specifically his back swing. He has no such worries now because that is entrenched.

Anyway, suffice to say he's a rookie who will nevertheless challenge himself to improve. These are the parameters:

(1) Budget of £500 but can pay a bit more for the right clubs - is that enough for a decent full set or should he go for a half set for that money?

(2) Should he go for a better quality second hand set or buy brand new?

(3) Would he be better served to actually make up a set himself based on feel? He's very particular about the type and feel of his bats, for example, so might that be the case with clubs too?

(4) Lives in Sidcup - are there any really good local pro shops or should he go to somewhere like the nearby American Golf Centre?

(5) On the playing side, are there any clubs within a 10 mile radius that are particularly welcoming to a rookie who will be playing mid week only? The only ones I played in my youth are Sidcup, High Elms, Lullingstone (both courses), Barnehurst, Cray Valley and Bromley but I would not have a clue as to what they are like now.

Many thanks for any recommendations in relation to any of the above
    Cray valley is not a bad place to kick off at. 2 x 9 hole courses ( one the old ruxley ) and the 18. Can get a bit busy at the weekend early on. 
  • Options
    Really not a fan of the Birchwood 9 hole course. Been a while since I played it, but a succession of rather boring, flat holes, matting tee boxes, just didn't like or enjoy it. Pedham is good, and I'd also recommend Lullingstone (has both 9 and 18 hole courses). 

A little further afield, Upchurch River Valley has two 9 hole courses (the short isn't great, but the long course is a challenge) plus an 18 hole course.

Also The Cave at Boughton has a nice 9 hole and what looks like a decent 18 hole course.
  • Options
    Really not a fan of the Birchwood 9 hole course. Been a while since I played it, but a succession of rather boring, flat holes, matting tee boxes, just didn't like or enjoy it. Pedham is good, and I'd also recommend Lullingstone (has both 9 and 18 hole courses). 

A little further afield, Upchurch River Valley has two 9 hole courses (the short isn't great, but the long course is a challenge) plus an 18 hole course.

Also The Cave at Boughton has a nice 9 hole and what looks like a decent 18 hole course.
    Boughton 18 is ok, didn’t realise it had a 9. 
  • Options

Birchwood 9 is a par three course in a field,  apart from a short par 4 as the 9th. There are definitely better courses to play. 

There is also southern valley near shorne which is a pretty straightforward 18 
  • Options
    Southern Valley closes permanently end of August found out today from a mate who Marshall’s there 
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    Southern Valley closes permanently end of August found out today from a mate who Marshall’s there 
    Why’s that ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Hoping to play Barnehurst with 3 mates (Andy Pretty, Jon Lydford and Dave Bassett) from BETHS school on 24th June as a memorial to our passed mate, Keith Riley. Barnehurst was the course we played most frequently back in the early 80’s. Keith was the cleverest kid in our good school year and the best golfer too. I hope they get it ready on time as it looked in a state when I popped in there last month.

Update: the 4 of us former BETHS boys played the newly renovated Barnehurst GC for the first time in 40 years on 24th June. Had a great day reminiscing and remembering our departed mate, Keith Riley. £20 for 18 holes when playing in a 4-ball on a Friday morning in the Summer. Very good value. The course was tighter than I remembered but still playable and definitely well maintained. Good vide in the new clubhouse which has friendly staff, reasonable prices and with a modern decor. We will be back!
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    Why’s that ? 
    Closing because the land is going to be used for part of the new crossing over the Thames 
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    magic1999 said:
    Why’s that ? 
    Closing because the land is going to be used for part of the new crossing over the Thames 
    Not disputing what you are saying,but consultations on crossing still on going and even then work wont start for 2 years.
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    magic1999 said:
    Why’s that ? 
    Probably better use for it. Chalk & flint under the fairways meant you couldn't be sure you wouldnt damage your club if you took a big divot. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:

Does Boughton still have that ridiculous par 5, which from memory is 650 yards off the back pegs ?

I played in a corporate golf day there years ago, and I found it to be a stupid hole on what is essentially a pay and play course - ok, a hole like that on a championship course designed for pros would be fine, but on that course most of the people playing haven’t got a hope in hell of being on the green in regulation 
  • Options
    paulfox said:

Does Boughton still have that ridiculous par 5, which from memory is 650 yards off the back pegs ?

I played in a corporate golf day there years ago, and I found it to be a stupid hole on what is essentially a pay and play course - ok, a hole like that on a championship course designed for pros would be fine, but on that course most of the people playing haven’t got a hope in hell of being on the green in regulation 
    Crazier still is that at Upchurch River Valley they have a 623 yard on one of their 9 hole course (long south course). The one time I played it I actually hit very good first and second shots and was still 200 yards from the hole!
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    meldrew66 said:
    Hoping to play Barnehurst with 3 mates (Andy Pretty, Jon Lydford and Dave Bassett) from BETHS school on 24th June as a memorial to our passed mate, Keith Riley. Barnehurst was the course we played most frequently back in the early 80’s. Keith was the cleverest kid in our good school year and the best golfer too. I hope they get it ready on time as it looked in a state when I popped in there last month.

Update: the 4 of us former BETHS boys played the newly renovated Barnehurst GC for the first time in 40 years on 24th June. Had a great day reminiscing and remembering our departed mate, Keith Riley. £20 for 18 holes when playing in a 4-ball on a Friday morning in the Summer. Very good value. The course was tighter than I remembered but still playable and definitely well maintained. Good vide in the new clubhouse which has friendly staff, reasonable prices and with a modern decor. We will be back!
    I believe its £50 a month for membership, Mrs GA's uncle has joined and now calls it Barnoustie.
  • Options
    Hever's longest hole is over 640 yards from the blues, I can hit it fairly well distance wise but even then it's Driver, 4 wood and if all goes well a 7 iron to the green. Tough hole.
  • Options
    Not sure about the criticism of Upchurch 9. I reckon its one of best kept 9s locally and a decent challenge. Over there  in Aug, on a society bash,  full english, 18 holes, cold meat platter and then the 9.  Have done this a few times, tiring yes but 2 fab courses. 
  • Options
    Played Barnehurst couple of weeks ago. Its tight and slow around the par 3 s, not in the best of nick but early days for American Golf. Will deffo improve, sand in bunkers will help, but worth a trip for a quick 9 after work. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure about the criticism of Upchurch 9. I reckon its one of best kept 9s locally and a decent challenge. Over there  in Aug, on a society bash,  full english, 18 holes, cold meat platter and then the 9.  Have done this a few times, tiring yes but 2 fab courses. 
    Definitely not criticising the Long south 9, very decent course, just amusing it has a 623 yard hole on a 9 hole course 
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    Played Royal St Georges yesterday what a course loved it but was a little disappointed with the 92 I shot but happy with a birdie on the par 5 7th and a couple of pars splatted. It was a little breezy I have to say but at least it stayed dry

I was meant to play there a few years back but the fog rolled in and we couldn't get on, gutted.

Off to Le Touquet for a couple of rounds tomorrow.
    Played Belle Dunes and The Pins. Both were great. A fun night and two days away.
  • Options
    paulfox said:

Crazier still is that at Upchurch River Valley they have a 623 yard on one of their 9 hole course (long south course). The one time I played it I actually hit very good first and second shots and was still 200 yards from the hole!

I play this course quite a lot,even the first hole is around 550 yds so a dodgy start is pretty much guaranteed.Played today and was on the green in 4 for the long one and then 3 putted,really pissed me off.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Have played the Upchurch 9 a few  times yes it’s long but I think it’s open and forgiving off the tee, although shorter I think the 9 at Leeds castle is a far more interesting course to play.
  • Options
    An 88 today at shortlands ( I have never liked it ) but had a good social round with a few old chums 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I've played Cobtree Manor a couple of times lately, good value and condition for £19 twilight. Just practice your punch outs beforehand.

I'm sorting a golf trip to Melbourne in a few months' time and it's been painstaking. Most of the big Sandbelt clubs don't respond to emails. When/if you do get through, prices are similar to big British courses except for Royal Melbourne which is costing me more than any course in the UK - and that's only the lesser East course (I think it has 4 holes in the President's Cup composite).

Spieth, Burns and Scheffler were at Lahnich today which is cool, I do appreciate American pros coming over and playing our bucket list courses.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    RedPanda said:
    I've played Cobtree Manor a couple of times lately, good value and condition for £19 twilight. Just practice your punch outs beforehand.

I'm sorting a golf trip to Melbourne in a few months' time and it's been painstaking. Most of the big Sandbelt clubs don't respond to emails. When/if you do get through, prices are similar to big British courses except for Royal Melbourne which is costing me more than any course in the UK - and that's only the lesser East course (I think it has 4 holes in the President's Cup composite).

Spieth, Burns and Scheffler were at Lahnich today which is cool, I do appreciate American pros coming over and playing our bucket list courses.
    The contenders play a proper course whilst the also rans compete against each other at a run of the mill parkland course.

2 weeks before the Open you should at least be playing your Open at a links course Mr ROI.
  • Options
    Playing Silvermere tomorrow,havent been there for years,weathers looking fine,lovely. Only my golf can ruin it.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Loving life down here in Broadstairs especially since becoming a full member at North Foreland GC just 3 mins drive away. 
    Get some very windy days (like today) and the rough is getting brutal! Sea views from every hole is a bonus
    Playing there in just under a couple of weeks. If it’s anything like the conditions (Strong winds) on the back 9 at Littlestone from 12 months ago, then it will be a long day.