Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Hoping to play Barnehurst with 3 mates (Andy Pretty, Jon Lydford and Dave Bassett) from BETHS school on 24th June as a memorial to our passed mate, Keith Riley. Barnehurst was the course we played most frequently back in the early 80’s. Keith was the cleverest kid in our good school year and the best golfer too. I hope they get it ready on time as it looked in a state when I popped in there last month.
  • Options
    Might be playing Barnehust on the 5th June with a couple of mates who are members there, I played Pyrford Lakes Wednesday course was in great condition greens nice a true if a little on the slower side of fast. Dyrnham Park the week before was a fantastic course well worth a visit if you can get on. I've another trip to Burhill Old Course planned for 7th June then a little holiday before hitting Royal St Georges at the end of June and Moor park early July
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Hoping to play Barnehurst with 3 mates (Andy Pretty, Jon Lydford and Dave Bassett) from BETHS school on 24th June as a memorial to our passed mate, Keith Riley. Barnehurst was the course we played most frequently back in the early 80’s. Keith was the cleverest kid in our good school year and the best golfer too. I hope they get it ready on time as it looked in a state when I popped in there last month.
    Said at the entrance it was due to open this month, they have started shaping fairways and sorting greens by the looks of it.
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    Might be playing Barnehust on the 5th June with a couple of mates who are members there, I played Pyrford Lakes Wednesday course was in great condition greens nice a true if a little on the slower side of fast. Dyrnham Park the week before was a fantastic course well worth a visit if you can get on. I've another trip to Burhill Old Course planned for 7th June then a little holiday before hitting Royal St Georges at the end of June and Moor park early July
    Playing Pyrford and Burhill later this month,havent played either track. Looking forward to it. 
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    Has anyone played Dudsbury Golf Club in Bournemouth? We are looking at trying to book it for our annual golf weekend
    Aye, nice course.
  • Options
    Off to Littlestone on Monday. Weather does not look good. Eek......
  • Options
    Doesn’t look great but not too rainy. Not sure if you know the area but if you fancy fish and chips, you can’t go wrong with The Pilot in Dungeness.
  • Options
    Doesn’t look great but not too rainy. Not sure if you know the area but if you fancy fish and chips, you can’t go wrong with The Pilot in Dungeness.
    Not golf related but I ll be there this afternoon 👍
  • Options
    Playing Broome Park tomorrow for the first time & hope it’s not going to be as wet as the weather forecast predicts
  • Options
    @Redvalleyeast Burhill Old course is a lovely track fairways we’re like carpet a couple of weeks ago greens just started to speed up as well 

Pyrford fairways running quick but a little bare in places but still good Front 9 greens had been tyned but still true with the rain and sun we’ve had last few days will be back to quick 

enjoy 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    magic1999 said:
    @Redvalleyeast Burhill Old course is a lovely track fairways we’re like carpet a couple of weeks ago greens just started to speed up as well 

Pyrford fairways running quick but a little bare in places but still good Front 9 greens had been tyned but still true with the rain and sun we’ve had last few days will be back to quick 

enjoy 
    Cheers for the info, will look forward to getting out there👍
  • Options
    Littlestone update. Played it today, rain for the first 9 holes then dried up. Tough if you miss the fairway, greens fantastic,  bunkers ( I only went in one !!!) Poor. 
    Struggled initially but then hit 2 of the par three greens. Great finishing holes.
    Whole place closed down by the time we had finished, 18.15, so no post match beers. Strange.
    Overall, a great experience and recommended 
  • Options
    Struggling a bit with dealing with other players shit etiquette. I go out of my way on the course to try not to be a nuisance to others but find there are a few that don’t afford the same respect. Makes my head explode at times and can cost me 2 or 3 shots every round. Have tried politely pointing it out but my experience is that bad mannered golfers NEVER admit they could have done better.

Any tips from those golfers with better temperaments than me? A player behind me yesterday only very narrowly avoided a hospital appointment to have a 7 iron removed from his arse.
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    Has anyone played Dudsbury Golf Club in Bournemouth? We are looking at trying to book it for our annual golf weekend
    Many times - a fair test and I've always found it in tip top condition. One of my favourites in that part of the world. Facilities really good also.
  • Options
    Struggling a bit with dealing with other players shit etiquette. I go out of my way on the course to try not to be a nuisance to others but find there are a few that don’t afford the same respect. Makes my head explode at times and can cost me 2 or 3 shots every round. Have tried politely pointing it out but my experience is that bad mannered golfers NEVER admit they could have done better.

Any tips from those golfers with better temperaments than me? A player behind me yesterday only very narrowly avoided a hospital appointment to have a 7 iron removed from his arse.
    What sort of bad etiquette are you taking about....??  Not shouting fore ? Walking over the line of your putt ?  Playing out of turn  ?  Not raking bunkers  ?  Lots to choose from. My pet peeve is slow play & not playing to the rules (ie, not counting stroke AND distance when giving up on a lost ball/ friendly "drops" out of bushes etc)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Dizzle said:
    Many times - a fair test and I've always found it in tip top condition. One of my favourites in that part of the world. Facilities really good also.
    That’s great to hear. Hopefully we can get that booked in! Thank you to both you and CAFCPolo for responding
  • Options
    I would appreciate some help from you golfers about purchasing a set of clubs and where best for a rookie to start out. This isn't for me  as I haven't played in 40 years and lack the mobility to do so now anyway. It's for my 19 year old son who has done the tennis, the table tennis, is still playing cricket and now wants to turn his hand to a bit of golf - he has been on the range quite a few times and had a couple of lessons some five years ago but he never pursued it because it was actually affecting his batting and specifically his back swing. He has no such worries now because that is entrenched.

Anyway, suffice to say he's a rookie who will nevertheless challenge himself to improve. These are the parameters:

(1) Budget of £500 but can pay a bit more for the right clubs - is that enough for a decent full set or should he go for a half set for that money?

(2) Should he go for a better quality second hand set or buy brand new?

(3) Would he be better served to actually make up a set himself based on feel? He's very particular about the type and feel of his bats, for example, so might that be the case with clubs too?

(4) Lives in Sidcup - are there any really good local pro shops or should he go to somewhere like the nearby American Golf Centre?

(5) On the playing side, are there any clubs within a 10 mile radius that are particularly welcoming to a rookie who will be playing mid week only? The only ones I played in my youth are Sidcup, High Elms, Lullingstone (both courses), Barnehurst, Cray Valley and Bromley but I would not have a clue as to what they are like now.

Many thanks for any recommendations in relation to any of the above
  • Options
    I would appreciate some help from you golfers about purchasing a set of clubs and where best for a rookie to start out. This isn't for me  as I haven't played in 40 years and lack the mobility to do so now anyway. It's for my 19 year old son who has done the tennis, the table tennis, is still playing cricket and now wants to turn his hand to a bit of golf - he has been on the range quite a few times and had a couple of lessons some five years ago but he never pursued it because it was actually affecting his batting and specifically his back swing. He has no such worries now because that is entrenched.

Anyway, suffice to say he's a rookie who will nevertheless challenge himself to improve. These are the parameters:

(1) Budget of £500 but can pay a bit more for the right clubs - is that enough for a decent full set or should he go for a half set for that money?

(3) Would he be better served to actually make up a set himself based on feel? He's very particular about the type and feel of his bats, for example, so might that be the case with clubs too?

(4) Lives in Sidcup - are there any really good local pro shops or should he go to somewhere like the nearby American Golf Centre?

(5) On the playing side, are there any clubs within a 10 mile radius that are particularly welcoming to a rookie who will be playing mid week only? The only ones I played in my youth are Sidcup, High Elms, Lullingstone (both courses), Barnehurst, Cray Valley and Bromley but I would not have a clue as to what they are like now.

To be fair the guys at American golf Sidcup are pretty helpful, it’s probably the best place to start to have a chat, see what they recommend, you don’t have to buy from them if you don’t want. 
  • Options
    1) definitely a full set
    2) brand new unless golf shop have some nearly new ones. 
    3) speak to the shop & they're be able to guide him
    4) American Golf seems like the best starting point. Or the place between Beckenham & Palace. 
    5) Pedham place or Birchwood. Both have a 9 & an 18 holer. 
  • Options
    Played Lingfield today, first time out since last summer.

Hit some absolutely stonking drives and irons, and also some awful ones, putting not too shabby.

Considering the slope of the course I managed 29 points so not bad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Rob7Lee said:
    Played Lingfield today, first time out since last summer.

Hit some absolutely stonking drives and irons, and also some awful ones, putting not too shabby.

Considering the slope of the course I managed 29 points so not bad.
    Pop up the road to chartham park, lovely course.  I’ve never seen someone run out of the woods so fast when we played a society day at lingfield, I think it’s about the sixth sharp dogleg can’t see the green,  my mate played his second from next to an adders nest!! 🤣
  • Options

Start with the Pedham 9, then Birchwood 9, then Cray Valley 9. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

That’s a lot of driving between each 9!!😂
  • Options
    Something has clicked in my game and been playing better by my standards..last 3 rounds 

89 at chelsfield lakes
    82 at littlestone Warren 
    84 at wellhurst ( near hailsham ) 

• Options
    lolwray said:
    Something has clicked in my game and been playing better by my standards..last 3 rounds 

89 at chelsfield lakes
    82 at littlestone Warren 
    84 at wellhurst ( near hailsham ) 

I have two more scores to register 20 rounds  for my official handicap, trying to keep it to single figures, I’m 9.6 at the moment, the pressure is on!!!😬. Need a couple of low 80’s🤞
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

I played the 9 hole at Pedham for the first time on Saturday. Thought I might have been on for a decent round, birdied the 1st and parred the 2nd. False dawn though, didn't score below 5 for the next 7 holes. 

Having not played a full 18 for over 20 years, thought I might have been getting near to tackling one again after accompanying my daughter to the driving range and par 3 courses recently.

Now realise I'm nowhere near it. 

Probably need some new clubs or at least get my current set re-gripped.
  • Options
    Just played in the Quarter Final of the Royal Blackheath Trophy for my club Sundridge Park against Langley Park. Lost my match narrowly but the team won overall and we’re into the Semi’s. Only the second match I’ve lost all summer (out of 23) so not feeling too disheartened. 

The only real kick in the teeth was he was a Palace fan. Think it spurred him on when I hit my ball into the trees, looked around for the allotted 3 minutes and only found a Pro V1 with a Charlton sword stamped on it, but didn’t find mine!
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

Only just seen this. I am a member at Dudsbury. Not sure when your weekend is, but if you have any questions let me know. 
    It is in lovely condition at the moment. They have some staffing issues in the clubhouse restaurant but should be fine if let them know in advance. Enjoy! 
  • Options
    Played Royal St Georges yesterday what a course loved it but was a little disappointed with the 92 I shot but happy with a birdie on the par 5 7th and a couple of pars splatted. It was a little breezy I have to say but at least it stayed dry
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    magic1999 said:
    Played Royal St Georges yesterday what a course loved it but was a little disappointed with the 92 I shot but happy with a birdie on the par 5 7th and a couple of pars splatted. It was a little breezy I have to say but at least it stayed dry

I was meant to play there a few years back but the fog rolled in and we couldn't get on, gutted.

Off to Le Touquet for a couple of rounds tomorrow.