Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premier League 2018/19 Thread

Comments

• Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Liverpool have definitely had more than their fair share of luck this season.

Saw a tweet earlier that Liverpool have already scored 11 offside goals in all competitions this season and had 9 pens. Some of Salah's have been dubious to say the least. Roll on the VAR.
    Add on the Origi miracle winner against Everton. Their luck at times this season has been astounding. Klopp coming out and saying the ref was bias against Liverpool because he knew the first goal was offside defied belief. Oh, then he threw in but we've got a few injuries. Ha. Just the few yeah? Good job they havent had the 38 separate injuries like Spurs have had this season. I'll tell you this. Klopp's ring has gone. They are going to melt.
    You cant moan about injuries on a Charlton forum @JohnBoyUK , we probably have had double that :wink:

Yep it seems Liverpool are getting all the decisions and still only 3 points ahead, hope either City or Spurs win (feel dirty cheering on spurs still)
    Havent moaned about the injuries, not at all, just merely suggested Mr Klopp needs a reality check :)
  • Options

Both Man City and Liverpool have the same 'big games' left too

Home to Spurs
    Home to Chelsea
    Away to United

The fact that Spurs have to play both Liverpool (on 31st March) and Man City (end of April) should make it interesting. United are the form team and are capable of throwing it all up in the air.
    That is of course if Spurs are still in touch by then. Got to negotiate Chelsea away, Arsenal at home and Dortmund home and away before that.

Whoever of the 3 go out of the CL first are going to be at a huge advantage, only having to play once a week on average until the end of the season.
  • Options
    Liverpool are starting to struggle .. a lot of injuries and the squad is nowhere near so strong as Man C or even Chelsea
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    JohnBoyUK said:

Saw a tweet earlier that Liverpool have already scored 11 offside goals in all competitions this season and had 9 pens. Some of Salah's have been dubious to say the least. Roll on the VAR.
    Add on the Origi miracle winner against Everton. Their luck at times this season has been astounding. Klopp coming out and saying the ref was bias against Liverpool because he knew the first goal was offside defied belief. Oh, then he threw in but we've got a few injuries. Ha. Just the few yeah? Good job they havent had the 38 separate injuries like Spurs have had this season. I'll tell you this. Klopp's ring has gone. They are going to melt.
    Just got to bring the thread back to this.

The tweet you read is “fake news”.

Liverpool have scored three offside goals this season.

1st offside goal was in a 4-0 win over West Ham
    2nd was in a 4-0 win over Bournemouth
    3rd was on Monday in the 1-1 draw against West Ham

Offside goals have only given Liverpool one extra point and plus three goal difference. It’s still too many and I’m looking forward to VAR.

BUT it’s nowhere near 11 goals. That’s a load of crap that originated from a Man City fan account.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Offside goals have only given Liverpool one extra point and plus three goal difference. It’s still too many and I’m looking forward to VAR.

BUT it’s nowhere near 11 goals. That’s a load of crap that originated from a Man City fan account.
    Any idea how many spurs have scored?
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Funny how Man City fans are going on about Liverpool scoring an offside goal, 1 day after Aguero scored an obvious handball goal
  • Options
    Spurs are gonna do it to wind us all up
    17.5 to 1 is good value on betfair
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Both Man City and Liverpool have the same 'big games' left too

Home to Spurs
    Home to Chelsea
    Away to United

The fact that Spurs have to play both Liverpool (on 31st March) and Man City (end of April) should make it interesting. United are the form team and are capable of throwing it all up in the air.
    That is of course if Spurs are still in touch by then. Got to negotiate Chelsea away, Arsenal at home and Dortmund home and away before that.

Whoever of the 3 go out of the CL first are going to be at a huge advantage, only having to play once a week on average until the end of the season.
    Remember City also have the league cup final plus FA Cup games too. And unless they get drawn away to the winner of Chelsea/United, they should go all the way to the final in that as well.

However their squad is by far and away the best equipped to cope.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Thanks for clarifying. I did think it was a bit much. No escaping the fact that VAR would have scrapped a fair few of their penss though.
  • Options
    Talksport is good value this morning. Inter-scouse fighting. Everton fans saying they'll happily see their team lose to Man City to stitch up the other half of Merseyside.

Nothing more sickening that Bin Dippers trying to take the moral high ground with anyone!

Have to say, for the sake of the title, it needs City to win tonight to bring Liverpool back amongst the thick of it. They were 9 points clear at Christmas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Talksport is good value this morning. Inter-scouse fighting. Everton fans saying they'll happily see their team lose to Man City to stitch up the other half of Merseyside.

Nothing more sickening that Bin Dippers trying to take the moral high ground with anyone!

Have to say, for the sake of the title, it needs City to win tonight to bring Liverpool back amongst the thick of it. They were 9 points clear at Christmas.

But, for the sake of Spurs, you would much prefer City to lose - win at Anfield and the Etihad and you would be ahead of City with a game in hand on them and just two points behind Liverpool.

I also think Liverpool aren't playing well regardless of any pressure on them - their back line looks vulnerable without the pace of Gomez and Alexander-Arnold, their midfield is too predictable and their three forwards aren't really firing. They can't afford injuries to any of those three and we should also take into account that their rock at the back, VVD has already played 36 club and international games - that's already almost as many as he's played in each of the last two seasons.
  • Options
    Everton to win for me. City are much the better side and the Bin Dippers are wobbling. COYS.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

But, for the sake of Spurs, you would much prefer City to lose - win at Anfield and the Etihad and you would be ahead of City with a game in hand on them and just two points behind Liverpool.

I also think Liverpool aren't playing well regardless of any pressure on them - their back line looks vulnerable without the pace of Gomez and Alexander-Arnold, their midfield is too predictable and their three forwards aren't really firing. They can't afford injuries to any of those three and we should also take into account that their rock at the back, VVD has already played 36 club and international games - that's already almost as many as he's played in each of the last two seasons.
    Tbh, I think it suits Spurs better if Man City win tonight. It closes the gap to the top, heaps more pressure on Liverpool and win our game in hand we'll be 2 behind again. Hopefully both of them will keep tripping over themselves but can't see it somehow. We've just got to keep on picking points up and see what happens. Head still says City win the league at a canter though.

We've got some tough old fixtures coming up though...

Sun 10 Feb - Leicester (H)
    Sun 13 Feb - B Dortmund (H)

then we've got 9 days off because of the FA Cup

Sat 23 Feb - Burnley (A)
    Wed 27 Feb - Chelsea (A)
    Sat 02 Mar - Arsenal (H)
    Tue 05 Mar - B Dortmund (A)
    Sat 09 Mar - Southampton (A)

then we dont play again until Sat 17 March against Palace.

I'd say we need to win both home games and then take 7pts from 9 in the away games to be in with half a chance.
  • Options
    As long as you beat Palace on 17 March we'll all be happy for you.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Speroni chucking 2 in his own net in a 3-2 win as well.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

As long as you beat Palace on 17 March we'll all be happy for you.

They need a hiding after they put us out of the cup.
  • Options
    Anyone know why Everton v City is on tonight?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

It's not on TV.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Riviera said:

Re-arranged because of the Carling Cup Final...

I guess the Brighton / Chelsea game would be tonight too but for Brighton in the FA Cup - I think its partly for that reason its not on SKY although both them and BT had already made their selection choices for February by the time this date was announced
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Would it not be normal for an arranged fixture that clashes with the league cup to be played after rather than before? I think this gives City a very big advantage especially as now until the end of the league season they play all their games before Liverpool. For a team with recent success I believe it is better for them to play first and for their rivals who have only 2 Prem winners in their squad and as a club have not had success for years it is more difficult playing catch-up.
    Not that I mind as I don't want Liverpool to win anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

Would it not be normal for an arranged fixture that clashes with the league cup to be played after rather than before? I think this gives City a very big advantage especially as now until the end of the league season they play all their games before Liverpool. For a team with recent success I believe it is better for them to play first and for their rivals who have no Prem winners in their squad and as a club have not had success for years it is more difficult playing catch-up.

James Milner
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Would it not be normal for an arranged fixture that clashes with the league cup to be played after rather than before? I think this gives City a very big advantage especially as now until the end of the league season they play all their games before Liverpool. For a team with recent success I believe it is better for them to play first and for their rivals who have no Prem winners in their squad and as a club have not had success for years it is more difficult playing catch-up.

Id imagine they want it played before they restart their Champions League campaign - Plus with Chelsea having the week off you could say that it gives them a bit more time to prepare for their League game against Man City on Sunday
  • Options

Riviera said:

James Milner
    Wow had to google that one, well played sir :open_mouth:
  • Options

Riviera said:

James Milner
    Daniel Sturridge with Chelsea as well but had to Google that
  • Options

Riviera said:

James Milner
    ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

@Chizz clone!
  • Options

Riviera said:

James Milner
    Careful! Chirpy *hates* having his many mistakes pointed out.
  • Options

Riviera said:

James Milner
    Wow had to google that one, well played sir :open_mouth:
    Haha they mentioned it on Monday night against West Ham thats the only reason I knew haha
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Would it not be normal for an arranged fixture that clashes with the league cup to be played after rather than before? I think this gives City a very big advantage especially as now until the end of the league season they play all their games before Liverpool. For a team with recent success I believe it is better for them to play first and for their rivals who have only 2 Prem winners in their squad and as a club have not had success for years it is more difficult playing catch-up.

It's only a big advantage if they win to put pressure on Liverpool. If they drop any points in games, then Liverpool know what they have to do.
  • Options
    Wow, what a time to score.

Last touch before half time.
  • Options
    Last kick (or head in this case) of the 1st half.
    Laporte scores for City, excellent free kick, great header