Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Fleetwood | Sat 25 August 2018 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    At least Worcestershire are on the telly now, with an eminently chaseable target. Cmon lads, make my day a bit nicer
  • Options
    Very flat. I must of been at a different game if Pratley was suggested as MOM. He was woefull. Thought Fleetwood knocked it around a bit better than us, Igor did ok as well when he came on. Mid table season in store
  • Options
    In all seriousness, it’s early days. I thought we played well on Tuesday and were unlucky not to get a point. Today it was poor but I believe in Bowyer and what he’s trying to do.

I think the backdrop of removing the cancer from the club is going to prevent us from competing properly this season, even for the play offs with a fully fit team.

We’ll have some better days but we’ll prob have a few more like today
  • Options
    Get used to this, it's the norm. Some may be better, some worse. But basically this is where we are. Mid table struggling not be be any lower.
  • Options
    thoughts on Marshall? did he manage to remember to get down the wing and cross a ball?
  • Options
    How shit must Scunthorpe be...
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Sage said:

Uneventful, flat, lack of any inspiration, lack of anyone able to get on the ball, lack of shape, lack of imagination, lack of hope.

Until any of that changes, mid table is the very best we can hope for.

To expand on this:
    Under Robinson we often looked far too spread out in terms on width. With Bowyer, both at times last season and this season, we've over-corrected and now look overly stretched back to front. I know that when you're in possession you want to make the pitch as big as possible, but that only works when you have movement off the ball and look overload in areas then spread the play.

Our best attacking was playing long (low) balls to just wide of the penalty area then trying to get our forwards isolated against their men. It's when we looked most dangerous, but it's a trick that teams are getting increasingly good at defending. Even when Grant or Taylor beat their man we usually have 1-v-3 or 2-v-4 in the box. As such, we struggle to create clear cut chances.

I also think the stretched back-to-front makes out midfielders and fullbacks do more running than they need to. Bowyer has talked about the fact that he wants his midfielders doing a lot of running, and that can be a good thing, but I think there is a lot of energy that could be saved if we were tighter with our shape and smarter with our running. Part of the reason we struggle to get those overloads is that our midfield has to do so much up and back running that it's then hard to get into those dangerous pockets of space in the attacking third.

And as sage says, I think a lot of the above leads us to looking shapeless. There were definitely times today when our players seemed confused about whether they were playing a flat 4-4-2 or a diamond in midfield. I'm very much in favor of tactical flexibility and interchanging players, but it requires a good tactical understanding that I don't think we always have.
  • Options

thoughts on Marshall? did he manage to remember to get down the wing and cross a ball?

He didnt touch the ball to get a cross into the box!!

His first effort didnt come till about the 30th min which surprisingly wasnt a bad effort from distance

Didnt do anything else after that and was no surprise to see him subbed for Vetokele who I thought had a good game on his return - Officials were once again shocking with a free kick being awarded to Fleetwood for Pratley being pushed over being the main highlight - Fully expect Lyle Taylor to have a falling down moment and attack the referee soon... Would definitely like to see the goal Grant scored again as the O/S said on twitter that it was very close, good finish from him though

One note for Fleetwood... Was nice to see two of their players go over to Phillips and give him a pat on the back for the excellent save he made during the second half prior to taking the resulting corner
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2018

He remembered where the goal is and had a shot. Now all we need is for him to share that tactic with his teammates...
  • Options
    Awful. ..
  • Options
    Turgid.

On the bright side, we're one day closer to the Belgian coffin dodger going.
  • Options
    Bowyers top two looks fanciful after the start to the season we’ve witnessed but with Pearce, Fosu set to return plus Igor getting match fit. Cullen and O’Kane to come in things could look very different in quite a short space of time. Let’s hope so because today was very disappointing.
  • Options

He remembered where the goal is and had a shot. Now all we need is for him to share that tactic with his teammates...
    they'll never master it
  • Options

Another duff performance and fail to score at home for the second time in succession. Not looking too clever so far - our only win courtesy of a last minute goal.

Two defeats by last minute goals
  • Options
    My first game this season. I was assured by all who'd seen us against Posh that we'd been good then. Flat, boring, and not worth the £24 it cost me
  • Options

Very flat. I must of been at a different game if Pratley was suggested as MOM. He was woefull. Thought Fleetwood knocked it around a bit better than us, Igor did ok as well when he came on. Mid table season in store

Funny how people see it, I thought Pratley was excellent, winning the ball and breaking up their play. Probably did his job more effectively than any of our other players

Re the game, absolutely terrible and I fear that it could be what we will have to get used to this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worst game since we played them last year,atmosphere was appalling,crap afternoon all round.
  • Options
    Not too bad defensively but we offer little or nothing going forward. A very poor game.

Page and Solly did okay but our midfield is very pedestrian. Can't see us scoring many goals this season.

Phillips deserves to keep his position.
  • Options
    We are shit, lack any ideas boring beyond belief.

If Bowyer really thinks he has a top 2 team, he seriously needs to think again.

Sad demise of a once great club, thanks Rat.
  • Options
    Going down!!!!? It's possible if you can't score many goals!! And no-one to replace JFC is gonna be the reason if it happens! Very concerning!
  • Options
    Did we really need Bielik screening the back 4 at home ? We had no width and no creativity- absolute garbage
  • Options
    Clean sheet, didn’t get beat by a late goal, West Ham lost, Ventokele back, players returning from injury. What’s not to like? COYR
  • Options
    Glad I gave it a miss
  • Options

Forgot he was on the pitch until we subbed him off.