Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Fleetwood | Sat 25 August 2018 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2018
    It’s games like this that makes me think shopping with the wife is actually not that bad.
  • Options
    Stewart said:

It’s games like this that makes me think shopping with the wife is actually not that bad.

Does my bum look big in this?
  • Options
    I thought for large parts of the second half we were the side in ascendancy but just lacked that bit of quality in the very last eighth.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    RedChaser said:

Clarke, Fosu and Reeves to return / surely will make a difference.

You'd bloody hope so... and with Josh Cullen reportedly coming in, you'd hope one of them can take a set piece whether it free kick or corner!!

Because at the moment we're getting them and have no confidence we'd score from one at the moment
    I find it incredible that not just this season but last as well after Holmes left and JFC took responsibility for set pieces that no one has been able to fill the void. They are professional footballers ffs; all they have ever done since they were kids is kick a ball and were best in class at it. Now they do it as their job for a fair amount of the week at the training ground yet none of them can put a decent ball into the box consistently. It just beggars belief.
    It's presumably harder than it looks. Beckham after all made his career out of being brilliant at hitting crosses and especially dead balls

It did feel a bit random today, who was taking dead balls. I'm surprised Aribo hasn't taken any, didn't he get 2 or 3 assists when he made his full debut for us, from crosses/dead balls
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Is it harder than it looks? Beckham was one of the best at crossing and naturally gifted with his technique. I wouldn't of course expect anyone of his quality to be playing third tier football.

Practice makes perfect though and if decent amateurs / semi pros from my era could consistently put a decent dead ball in why can't our full time pros is this day and age? Maybe Aribo should be charged with the job and no doubt the management team have been trying to sort it but it's obvious that they haven't solved the problem as yet.
  • Options
    A point better off than Tuesday night but nowhere near the performance. Drab, tired not looking like a team full of goals.

A fresh week and here's hoping for a performance against Powell's Southend.

Relegation form at present
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Never thought i would say this, but i feel sorry for Ajose. On Tuesday he came on and galvanised the side but today when we were crying out for someone to make something happen he was ignored. Im all for a fit Vetokele being chosen over Ajose but he is at the begining of his rehabilitation.

Agree. He was a brilliant creative spark when he came on on Tuesday and provided something we didn't show at all today - disappointed he didn't come on as even an on fire Igor can't score without some service
  • Options
    drab, uninspiring & dull................and that was just the protest before the game.

Can't add much to what's already been said for events on the pitch. Have added my twopenneth about our lack of goals on the thread of that name, but suffice to say I doubt if we had Augero, Salah & Kane playing up front that we'd score many goals. I love LB's desire & his positivity............but atm the jury's out over his coaching & management prowess. All well & good playing it your way..........but if you don't have the personnel to play your preferred system then it ain't going to work - just ask KR !!!

As for the players today. Page & Beilik got my MOTM, with the latter way too good for this league, He vision, poise & passing is a joy to watch & probably going to be the only good thing to come out of this season. Aribo should have scored & I reckon we'll find that Grant's goal was onside.

Will be at Southend next Saturday............just hope we don't mirror the disastrous start we had there last Boxing Day because no way will we score 2 goals
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stewart said:

That’s why I believe a percentage of those ‘boycotting’ just had enough over the years of sitting through games like today
  • Options
    Today was not fun. It may be due to my grandad not being there due to a holiday but today I questioned how long I will keep going. Never thought I'd do that.
  • Options
    I am surprised nobody yet has comment on the disallowed goal. I am pretty sure Grant wasn't offside. There were was somebody in an offside position, possibly even two. I the old days offside no doubt. Whether they were "active" I couldn't tell but I was probably in a better position to tell than the linesaman who put his flag immediately
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    redman said:

I am surprised nobody yet has comment on the disallowed goal. I am pretty sure Grant wasn't offside. There were was somebody in an offside position, possibly even two. I the old days offside no doubt. Whether they were "active" I couldn't tell but I was probably in a better position to tell than the linesaman who put his flag immediately

Possibly, because we have very few fans at that end of the ground, so we wouldn't know.
  • Options
    I cant see how we could even finish mid table at the moment ,5pts from 5,if we carry on at this rate that equates to 45pts from 45;thats not mid table.
  • Options
    john3 said:

I cant see how we could even finish mid table at the moment ,5pts from 5,if we carry on at this rate that equates to 45pts from 45;thats not mid table.

I reckon we will have more than that when the season takes shape.
  • Options
    Not only we kept a clean sheet, but even more significant, we did not fail scoring that elusive 2nd goal.
    So if we can only find the tunnel, the light is already at the end of it.
  • Options
    john3 said:

I still think there are more than 4 sides worse than us
  • Options
    john3 said:

Well with one or two decent loan signings and some of the injured players back we will start to pick up.

Also, 4 of our games have been against the top 8.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:

Don’t want to put the mockers on the lad but Philips seems to be doing pretty well.....this, despite considerable misgivings by some on here a few weeks back.

Inspires no confidence on crosses .
    Well..................is that so.

• Options

Good to,see you @Sillybilly

LOL......it must have been fun!
  • Options
    Important point... One closer to survival...
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Missed It said:

Stewart said:

That’s why I believe a percentage of those ‘boycotting’ just had enough over the years of sitting through games like today
    I definitely think the boycott is overstated. Charlton have been shedding fans every year since relegation from the Premier League. It's years and years of shit football. Why would anybody waste their time and money watching the rancid cack that passes for football at the valley? Roland is just the latest in a line of fuckwits who've flushed the club down the toilet thanks their inflated egos and staggering incompetence. If I didn't have the perverse belief that being miserable is a key part of being a football fan and you have to stick with your team through the worst times, I'd have found something else to do on saturday a long time ago.
    The momentum built up from the league one title winning season with Powell in charge was the moment to turn the ship. The Valley full and rocking against Hartlepool. If we’d spent a bit that summer I’m convinced we’d have made the play offs. But we all know what happened.
    Hopefully new owners are in soon and Bowyer can get us back to that point and is then backed with transfer funds.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Missed It said:

Stewart said:

I definitely think the boycott is overstated. Charlton have been shedding fans every year since relegation from the Premier League. It's years and years of shit football. Why would anybody waste their time and money watching the rancid cack that passes for football at the valley? Roland is just the latest in a line of fuckwits who've flushed the club down the toilet thanks their inflated egos and staggering incompetence. If I didn't have the perverse belief that being miserable is a key part of being a football fan and you have to stick with your team through the worst times, I'd have found something else to do on saturday a long time ago.
    The momentum built up from the league one title winning season with Powell in charge was the moment to turn the ship. The Valley full and rocking against Hartlepool. If we’d spent a bit that summer I’m convinced we’d have made the play offs. But we all know what happened.
    Hopefully new owners are in soon and Bowyer can get us back to that point and is then backed with transfer funds.
    I'm not too sure the potential new owners would keep Bowyer in(?). Is that not the reason why he's still only caretaker maybe? At their request? Probably been discussed elsewhere on another thread, so apologies if I've missed it.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Stewart said:

This isn’t true. Obviously attendances fell 2007-2011 but the situation then stabilised and even turned around. There was no significant decline between 2011-15. The problem is we have lost 5-6,000 since being relegated and this season is a new step down. Boycott is too simplistic an explanation but it’s not accurate to see this as steady decline. There was an inevitable correction post 2007 - what’s happening now is different.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Stewart said:

There are some legs in this.

Once we got relegated from the Premier we gradually lost a lot of the people drawn to watching Charlton in the Premier league.

From 2007 for the next five rocky years a few more left bringing us down to about 18K, this was still a healthy figure even though we have lost about 9,000 fans. However, to lose another 5,000 since Dushitelet took over I am certain is primarily down to the off field troubles.
  • Options
    Although yesterdays game was dross there are some positive signs. Having played high scoring Peterborough and Fleetwood we only conceded one late dubious penalty which hopefully means we have the defensive qualities to build on and mount a challenge. Obviously, if you can’t score goals then you will be down the bottom. Have to hope that players returning from injury will help in this area. I also think Bowyer should continue playing the current back 4 and make no changes for a while. A solid defence is essential for a promotion push. With Douchbag on the way out this could yet be a good season. That said, I doubt very much we will be watching any free flowing football for a good while yet.