Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Fleetwood | Sat 25 August 2018 post-match views

12346»

Comments

• Options

94/95 was a strange one. Despite some poor performances and results gates did begin to pick up. I lived in Lansdowne Lane overlooking the stadium, and in those days could see Floyd Road, Ransom Walk and Charlton Lane from my flat. On 21 Feb 95, a poor Tuesday night vs Tranmere, it was astonishing to see how many were going to the game. It came to 11900, and Tranmere, although they were going well, brought only a handful. Naturally, in front of a good-sized crowd we lost 0-1 to a late Pat Nevin goal.

That season - Brown, Robinson, Keith Jones, Walsh, Whyte, Rufus, BFP, Nelse, Mortimer, Leeeabuurn - and early Bowyer!!

Oh how that line has summarised our Charlton supporting experience...
    And not forgetting that my memories of back-then, admittedly bolstered somewhat by H&A, are rather more vivid than the 94 minutes I endured on Saturday. Addicks, eh?!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Few on the fb group and other social media moaning that crisps were thrown when we had a chance -'we would of only thrown a lead away

15 points on offer we have 5 - playing at that ratio last season would of seen us get 46 points which would of seen us relegated in 22 place, a long way to go and 41 games to play but it is not a great start - got a few players out so once they come back in we can have a crack at it.
  • Options

Viewfinder wasn't that the 90s...against Birmingham Aug 1993...(I mem sitting behind Karen Brady whilst game was on),only at that time I was working for a company that distributed GW crisps,and I was also working alongside them scantily clad girls at the Valley (work & play was great..;) )
    There was banter then from all sides of the ground,but it was when the changing rooms & function rooms were in the cabins...(not tunnel) either way,comforting some of them said upset girls was a hard job,but someone had to do it...:)

Soz may have happened in the 80's too,but reading your post reminded me of some pretty good times working for GW specially at that particular time...sigh...!!!

Yes, I reckon you have nailed it, Northheath. I do recall it was a bright sunny day early in the season; have checked my records and Birmingham was the first home game of 1993-94; we won 1-0 with a rare goal from Phil Chapple. My memory might be playing tricks about the tunnel - but not about the hand gesture! Am I right in thinking that security fences were up in those days, which made hitting the nubile target a bit harder? Anyway, it was very considerate of you to put a consoling arm around the girls. Funnily enough, I'm reading Nabokov's 'Lolita' at the moment...
    Yep that's the game & yes there was security fences leading off the pitch leading to the cabins via the potholes...;),oh & as for the hand gestures there were defo plenty from the girls aimed at the Brummie lot & as u said the Covered End...

Might have a gander at that book too...;)
  • Options
    No fences in 1993.
  • Options
    just hope that we can get the attendances up again once the old g ..t is gone ...a happy noisy valley is great to witness ..target 15k shouldnt be too difficult to achieve provided there is a management that engages with the fans
  • Options

94/95 was a strange one. Despite some poor performances and results gates did begin to pick up. I lived in Lansdowne Lane overlooking the stadium, and in those days could see Floyd Road, Ransom Walk and Charlton Lane from my flat. On 21 Feb 95, a poor Tuesday night vs Tranmere, it was astonishing to see how many were going to the game. It came to 11900, and Tranmere, although they were going well, brought only a handful. Naturally, in front of a good-sized crowd we lost 0-1 to a late Pat Nevin goal.

That season - Brown, Robinson, Keith Jones, Walsh, Whyte, Rufus, BFP, Nelse, Mortimer, Leeeabuurn - and early Bowyer!!

Fuck me, thanks for that. That Tranmere game nearly did for my nascent Charlton fandom. Tranmere were dreadful and Charlton's performance stank to high heaven. We'd rushed to the ground after work, sat freezing to watch 90 odd minutes of incompetence and disinterest from most involved. It had away win stamped all over it from about the 10th minute, trouble was Tranmere were so poor it took them 85 minutes to fashion any sort of opening and one player of genuine class to convert it. My continued attendance at The Valley after that owed more to the social side of the crowd with whom I came. Fortunately better entertainment and better times were not long in arriving. Only one other of that group still attends with any regularity, our reasons for remaining these last 3 years are exclusively familial, both of us resent every penny that assuages roly's financial clusterfuck but there are people far more important to us than that tombstone toothed twunt and their wishes override his wankery.
  • Options

I seeem to remember that night we basically got done for not taking our chances.
  • Options

But those were the days though.....
  • Options
    94/95 was indeed a strange season, we finally had a goal scoring striker, but something wasn't quite right with the team. Well documented by Left Foot Forward
  • Options

94/95 was indeed a strange season, we finally had a goal scoring striker, but something wasn't quite right with the team. Well documented by Left Foot Forward

Interesting, I need to borrow the book from my dad then
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excuse me for my simple analysis, but so far, my sentiment is that if we had 60% of the luck in every game played, we would have maximum points. If we had 40% of the luck in every game, we would have no points! I think the lack of scorers in the side means you have to increase that 60% to 70% which suggests to me we have the right number of points and can't complain. Hopefully Fosu will help change the numbers.
  • Options

Excuse me for my simple analysis, but so far, my sentiment is that if we had 60% of the luck in every game played, we would have maximum points. If we had 40% of the luck in every game, we would have no points! I think the lack of scorers in the side means you have to increase that 60% to 70% which suggests to me we have the right number of points and can't complain. Hopefully Fosu will help change the numbers.

too much fecking analysis..............just get the fecking ball into the box more often & have more shots.
  • Options
    No good if you keep missing them. :)
  • Options

No good if you keep missing them. :)

We're Charlton in the Third Division, Muttley ..... not bleddy Manchester City! :neutral:

• Options
    edited August 2018
    You have players that score at third division level and players that miss. You even have it at pub team level. You can't afford too many missers in your side - JFK's injury was a real blow. Aribo needs to step up - he can score. Some players need to up their games in this respect. Lapslie could score his fair share, the potential is there. The number of goals you expect from a midfielder and defender is less of course, but you have to expect them. Prately is not prolific as his career testifies despite being a key player for us.

The only position I exclude is full backs, but the stats I expect from them is quality chance creation. That doesn't mean every player has to have goals in them, but you have to have enough of them. If opponents can realistically say, if we stop him and him scoring and maybe him, they probably won't score, their task is much easier!