Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Fleetwood | Sat 25 August 2018 post-match views

Comments

• Don’t want to put the mockers on the lad but Philips seems to be doing pretty well.....this, despite considerable misgivings by some on here a few weeks back.

Inspires no confidence on crosses .
  • SDAddick said:

Sage said:

Uneventful, flat, lack of any inspiration, lack of anyone able to get on the ball, lack of shape, lack of imagination, lack of hope.

Until any of that changes, mid table is the very best we can hope for.

To expand on this:
    Under Robinson we often looked far too spread out in terms on width. With Bowyer, both at times last season and this season, we've over-corrected and now look overly stretched back to front. I know that when you're in possession you want to make the pitch as big as possible, but that only works when you have movement off the ball and look overload in areas then spread the play.

Our best attacking was playing long (low) balls to just wide of the penalty area then trying to get our forwards isolated against their men. It's when we looked most dangerous, but it's a trick that teams are getting increasingly good at defending. Even when Grant or Taylor beat their man we usually have 1-v-3 or 2-v-4 in the box. As such, we struggle to create clear cut chances.

I also think the stretched back-to-front makes out midfielders and fullbacks do more running than they need to. Bowyer has talked about the fact that he wants his midfielders doing a lot of running, and that can be a good thing, but I think there is a lot of energy that could be saved if we were tighter with our shape and smarter with our running. Part of the reason we struggle to get those overloads is that our midfield has to do so much up and back running that it's then hard to get into those dangerous pockets of space in the attacking third.

And as sage says, I think a lot of the above leads us to looking shapeless. There were definitely times today when our players seemed confused about whether they were playing a flat 4-4-2 or a diamond in midfield. I'm very much in favor of tactical flexibility and interchanging players, but it requires a good tactical understanding that I don't think we always have.
    SD Addick - you sound very earnestly and unrepentantly American in your description of a “ sawwwwwkerrr” match . Have I missed anything Bud / Big Guy ?

• Tuesday night was energised by Bonusgate, team and fans responding against feisty and capable opponents led by a certain villainous individual, not just a blot on the landscape but a whole landscape all to himself.

Today The Valley hosted another charmless and controversial character, whose well-drilled and pragmatic team, coached in his own image, largely controlled the game at little more than walking pace. Crispgate was an ineffectual distraction - a deflated atmosphere and an uninspired game made for a tedious afternoon.

RD's malign influence is corroding this club at a frightening pace. Prospective buyers need to up their game, admittedly not easy against the Infallible One, but it's time now for them to seize the initiative while at least the remnants of our wonderful club still exist. Otherwise the 21st century Mountsfield Park awaits.
  • After really enjoying the game on Tuesday this was very drab.

We aren't sharp enough and we didn't do enough to win although I'm not sure about the disallowed goal.

Some good saves by Dillon, Bauer not at his best, Sarr sloppy in possession, Marshall anonymous although out of possession, Aribo the biggest culprit of taking too many touchs.

Clearly all cards fault.

We need a spark ASAP. Four goals in five games tells its own story. Final ball often lacking and long range shooting poor.

Away following must be one of the lowest for a Saturday league game as must the home gate.

• Seen Taylor twice now, on Tuesday and today. Don't really see what the fuss is about, spends too much time focusing on drawing fouls. Just get on with it ffs.

Well, if his ambition is to draw fouls from defenders he doesn't succeed too often - he hardly gets given anything, even if he's got a defender sitting on his shoulders.
  • What a great pile of unadulterated poo that was. Utterly insipid. Expected a barnstorming bad tempered affair like Tuesday night with Barton today’s pantomime villain after Evan’s sterling effort during the week. Instead, I snored through an utterly bland game between two awful teams and Joey stood quietly at the side and then happily posed for photos and signed autographs by the tunnel at the end. Butter wouldn’t melt.....

Highlights of the day were a swift chat over a beer with @AFKABartram in the pub beforehand and a couple of bags of crisps which filled a hole as I missed lunch and, err, that’s it folks. No dodgy ref to abuse, just an afternoon of nothingness with the faint smell of decay pervading on a pleasant late summer afternoon.

All felt surreal. Cheers Roland you weapons grade arsehole.
  • Good to,see you @Sillybilly
  • I hope today’s game will be the dullest game of the season, rather than a taste of things to come.
  • Sponsored links:

• We have failed to score in 6 of our last 9 competitions back to last year's playoffs.
  • After the fight and passion of Tuesday I was hoping we would start like that today. But alas not, uninspiring and flat :(
  • Weirdly flat game, both on the pitch and in the crowd, after Tuesday's far more lively affair

0-0 was as fair result, we never looked like scoring more than 1 at most, while Fleetwood clearly used up their goals on Wednesday against Scunthorpe

Puzzled why Ajose didn't feature after he made such a positive impression on Tuesday

Nobody stood out, Dillon was probably MOTM
  • Seen Taylor twice now, on Tuesday and today. Don't really see what the fuss is about, spends too much time focusing on drawing fouls. Just get on with it ffs.

Yep excellent for a small club in AFC Wimbledon (No disrespect) but not so for us maybe!
  • All a bit pathetic really; the demo, the argument at the demo, the crisp throwing, the atmosphere, and the game. We were the better side but just not sharp enough. Bielik looks class, Sarr is the only one that passes for players to run on to rather than to feet, which slows us down. No one played badly but no one took responsibility to push us on and take hold of the game. Already getting fed up with Taylor’s posturing and petulance; he’s not half as good as he thinks he is.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2018
    Joey Barton's comments if you can find them through the Ads!!

Not surprised that he gets the reasons for it seeing he was moaning about not being able to lift the Championship trophy with Burnley at the Valley

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/fleetwood-town-fc/crisps-stopping-play-is-a-new-experience-for-fleetwood-town-boss-joey-barton-1-9320140
  • edited August 2018

Clarke, Fosu and Reeves to return / surely will make a difference.

You'd bloody hope so... and with Josh Cullen reportedly coming in, you'd hope one of them can take a set piece whether it free kick or corner!!

Because at the moment we're getting them and have no confidence we'd score from one at the moment
  • @seriously_red I'd like to know why for the Tuesday night game we get 1,000 thousand more fans more than on a Saturday(today).

I'll allow you the facts you will cloud with bollocks like complimentary tickets and season ticket holders not attendening.

• Was it Fleetwood who opted to kick the "wrong way" or was it us knowing that the covered end goalmouth was likely to be more "affected" by the crisp protest!
  • Dull game between two very average teams . Couldn't believe the lack of urgency in the last 10 minutes or so to try and get a winner . Crossbar challenge was highlight of the afternoon . Please don't play Marshall anymore .
  • Sums up the season ahead presuming there's no takeover...plenty of potential and should haves but just not enough when it matters.

Good to see Igor back and gutted we are missing Fosu. Think Pratley did well doing the dirty work and allowing Aribo to dictate the first half. Committed performance and could and should have taken all the spoils.