Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Dangers of a Cashless Society.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I work in a supermarket, of course the use if cash had virtually stopped during lockdown, but now appears to be coming back. From my point of view its a pain because every time we take money we have to sanitise our hands before the next customer. I rarely use cash now accept at the bakers and newsagents.

The biggest pain though is the posers using their phones, as they take ages finding the loyalty card app, then even longer finding the payment App, standing there with a smug I have an Apple phone look, and then when it doesn't work (about a quarter don't), say but " I haven't got my card with me!". Back goes all the shopping.. I know plastic cards are so heavy, and take up so much room, but jeeesh!

Don't get me started on the watches, (as per the phones X five!).
  • Options
    So do you tip the bloke from Hermes, DHL or Royal Mail parcels?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Ive bumped a previous thread on tipping, so if we could take that topic there that will be dandy

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/27958/do-you-tip-delivery-drivers-2009-thread#latest
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Blimey, I thought I was an outliner not spending any cash since the turn of the year! 

Feel sorry for the kids, their piggy jars been raided rotten tipping delivery drivers the last few months 
    You realise they're paid to deliver... That's literally their job, their not waiters or waitresses working to keep you happy throughout your dining experience!
    What kind of monster doesn't tip the delivery driver?

They're providing a service to you because you can't be arsed to go and pick it up. If you can afford the food delivery, you can surely afford to tip the guy who's driven it to you. 

So you'd tip the waitress who's carried your food 10 metres from the kitchen to your table but not a guy who might have driven 10 minutes to your house?

The delivery fee often charged by places goes to the restaurant, not the driver so why not tip the minimum wage guy a couple of quid?
    You tip the waitress because she gets crap wages...because her boss knows she gets tips...as for tipping delivery drivers - WTF ??? No wonder AFKA’s wife insists on his money going into a joint account 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Moved to the relevant thread.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Blimey, I thought I was an outliner not spending any cash since the turn of the year! 

Feel sorry for the kids, their piggy jars been raided rotten tipping delivery drivers the last few months 
    You realise they're paid to deliver... That's literally their job, their not waiters or waitresses working to keep you happy throughout your dining experience!

They're providing a service to you because you can't be arsed to go and pick it up. If you can afford the food delivery, you can surely afford to tip the guy who's driven it to you. 

So you'd tip the waitress who's carried your food 10 metres from the kitchen to your table but not a guy who might have driven 10 minutes to your house?

The delivery fee often charged by places goes to the restaurant, not the driver so why not tip the minimum wage guy a couple of quid?
    You tip the waitress because she gets crap wages...because her boss knows she gets tips...as for tipping delivery drivers - WTF ??? No wonder AFKA’s wife insists on his money going into a joint account 
    I don't imagine there's too many millionaire pizza delivery drivers out there........
  • Options
    I’m scratching my head about tipping delivery drivers, where does it stop? 

Us Brits don’t really tip. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I don't imagine there's too many millionaire pizza delivery drivers out there........

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our road collectively gathers money for the bin people every year.
    Not everybody contributes from the 140 or so households, but we still raised enough during this last pandemic Christmas to give each of the seven workers £35 each.
    However they said we are the only road on their local circuit that does this.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I was in Dulwich Park at the weekend and stopped at the cafe in there for a quick bite and a drink. Ordered some hot drinks and a vegan sausage roll. Missus and kids were playing catch up and the missus had my cash in her bag. Told the girl behind the counter that I'd pay once my missus caught up. No problem as the drinks were being prepared and the sausage roll warmed up. Drinks and food ready, the missus turns up and passes me my cash only for me to be told by the server that they can only accept card payments.

The food and drink went to waste.

I suggested some signage be put in place.
    this is the most boomer thing ever
    Dear god I hate that phrase...  Ageism and prejudice repackaged as "banter".

Back to cashless society...

I think it is a move in the right direction and has the potential to be more beneficial than negative. 
    ok, boomer.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I was in Dulwich Park at the weekend and stopped at the cafe in there for a quick bite and a drink. Ordered some hot drinks and a vegan sausage roll. Missus and kids were playing catch up and the missus had my cash in her bag. Told the girl behind the counter that I'd pay once my missus caught up. No problem as the drinks were being prepared and the sausage roll warmed up. Drinks and food ready, the missus turns up and passes me my cash only for me to be told by the server that they can only accept card payments.

I think it is a move in the right direction and has the potential to be more beneficial than negative. 
    ok, boomer.
    Incorrect generation. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

ok, boomer.
    Incorrect generation. 
    Ok - millennial ;-)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

ok, boomer.
    Incorrect generation. 
    boomer energy
  • Options
    The spending limit on each use of a contactless card is to rise from £45 to £100 from 15 October, banks have revealed.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58354855
  • Options
    clive said:
    The spending limit on each use of a contactless card is to rise from £45 to £100 from 15 October, banks have revealed.
    I was talking about the risk of contactless just the other day. I'm gobsmacked over how much fraud banks are now willing to take.

I know after a certain number of contactless transactions you are asked to enter your PIN but by that time hundreds of pounds could have been fraudulently taken from your account.  

Just think, before chip & pin you couldn't generally buy goods or services without having both your cheque book & card - and the retailer checked your signature !

I remember once being asked to put my name & address on the back of the cheque even when presenting my card. After a terse exchange with the shop owner I simply wrote "Micky Mouse, Disneyland, Florida" and walked out.
  • Options
    clive said:
     Don't like where this is heading.
  • Options
    Banks are putting in hard limits on contactless payments and then have to put the pin in, mine has a £100 a day limit before you have to do it, I suspect this won't raise much to manage the risk. 

Device based payments will continue to grow, and the role of the card will reduce 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Banks are putting in hard limits on contactless payments and then have to put the pin in, mine has a £100 a day limit before you have to do it, I suspect this won't raise much to manage the risk. 

Device based payments will continue to grow, and the role of the card will reduce 
    Given people might have 2 or 3 cards on them, mugging somebody for their cards will instantly be a lot more worthwhile. This probably isn’t such a good move. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:

Given people might have 2 or 3 cards on them, mugging somebody for their cards will instantly be a lot more worthwhile. This probably isn’t such a good move. 
    I don't think it's that bigger issue honestly if you're going to get done you're more likely to have your numbers nicked and used online, than someone trying to do this. Also banks will be encouraging people to Apple and Google Pay more to get round this and have more security. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Probably still better off mugging Old ladies who carry hundreds in cash about. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Probably still better off mugging Old ladies who carry hundreds in cash about. 
    They don’t put up much of a fight as well.
  • Options
    Dangerous if you are in a pub on the lash and you reliase how much you spunked the night before when you keep tapping, with cash when it's gone it's gone. Happened to me last Saturday down the Oak after the game, left there about midnight and faced the consequences the next day.
  • Options
    Coincidentally, I travelled up to London with my wife and youngest son and this came up in the conversation, I am mostly a cash person and refuse to accept its demise whereas my son is the complete opposite. I had already taken out cash to cover our meal which was the cause of much mickey taking from both him and my wife who believe I am a dinosaur in this respect.

We arrived at the restaurant to be greeted by the Manager informing us that their systems were down and that "unfortunately, it's cash only!".

In the land of the blind I was king!  
    Had a very nice lunch on Wednesday, went to pay the bill with a card to be told that the system had gone down and was it OK if they took our mobile and called us at some point in the future to pay over the phone.

Now being the honest person I am I of course gave them my number (and they called us the next day) but a less scrupulous person might have had a very nice free lunch.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Girl next to me in the office got mugged in bluewater last week. 14 others had been done the same day security told her. She froze her cards and luckily got away with them not being used but like you say I imagine it will happen more frequently going forward.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Rothko said:

Girl next to me in the office got mugged in bluewater last week. 14 others had been done the same day security told her. She froze her cards and luckily got away with them not being used but like you say I imagine it will happen more frequently going forward.
    mugged as in "give me your wallet" or pickpocketed? Either way for 14 people to be done is terrible.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I lost my Visa DR Card in Lewisham hospital once. Despite calling my bank to stop the card it was still used a few times. The Bank told me that ultimately that it was Visa that needed to block the card and during the delay (of a few days!!) the card was used a few times. I was refunded straight away. Interestingly it had only been used for food.....2 x M&S and 1 x KFC.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

mugged as in "give me your wallet" or pickpocketed? Either way for 14 people to be done is terrible.
    The way she described it I cant get my head around but then it's never happened to me. She was paying for some grub at yo sushi and said it was a bit chaotic around her with the kids and lots of people around. She had her purse in her hand and had the her arm yanked back and the purse snatched out of her hand.

I asked if she see the person that snatched it from her and she said it all happened too quickly but told security about it. She was then told 14 others had also been done. The bit I cant understand is not seeing the person that snatched it from her.