Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Dangers of a Cashless Society.

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Not had a single note in my wallet all year.
    Nothing new there then.

I like having a few quid in cash to hand although it mainly seems to go in children's birthday cards.  I guess it's more of an imagined than real need to have a little cash to hand when out and about.

Happy to use chip and pin or contactless but can't be arsed to get it on my phone.  And watches are for telling the time, not banking bah humbug.

Oh, and coins for parking meters, so much quicker.
  • Options
    Few councils want to keep cash in the parking system, it's going at a rate of knots.

My eldest get his pocket money on a contactless card with an app, and yes i can see you at the back making that sign 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Nothing new there then.

I like having a few quid in cash to hand although it mainly seems to go in children's birthday cards.  I guess it's more of an imagined than real need to have a little cash to hand when out and about.

Happy to use chip and pin or contactless but can't be arsed to get it on my phone.  And watches are for telling the time, not banking bah humbug.

Than an app where you dont even have to leave your car let alone walk to the other end of the car park to the one machine that is working queue up and then walk all the way back with a ticket. 

The app knows what car park you are in from your location, has your number plate pre loaded and your card details, you literally have to select one button to say how long you want to stay and its done. If you decide to stay longer you dont have to do that run back to the car and get another ticket you can just select it on the app. Often you get a better deal doing it that way to. If you buy a 4 hr ticket at the machine and want to stay longer you have to buy another 2 hour ticket (combined price more than a whole day ticket) or a new whole day ticket. On the app you can just upgrade to an all day ticket and pay the difference. Saved me loads of money. 

Can also get deals where if you move between car parks and they are run by the same company if you are within the timeframe of the ticket you paid for at the first one they just transfer that ticket to the 2nd car park. Great on holiday.

Once you've downloaded and set up the app its literally brilliant. Life saver if you holiday in this country. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Nothing new there then.

Than an app where you dont even have to leave your car let alone walk to the other end of the car park to the one machine that is working queue up and then walk all the way back with a ticket. 

The app knows what car park you are in from your location, has your number plate pre loaded and your card details, you literally have to select one button to say how long you want to stay and its done. If you decide to stay longer you dont have to do that run back to the car and get another ticket you can just select it on the app. Often you get a better deal doing it that way to. If you buy a 4 hr ticket at the machine and want to stay longer you have to buy another 2 hour ticket (combined price more than a whole day ticket) or a new whole day ticket. On the app you can just upgrade to an all day ticket and pay the difference. Saved me loads of money. 

Can also get deals where if you move between car parks and they are run by the same company if you are within the timeframe of the ticket you paid for at the first one they just transfer that ticket to the 2nd car park. Great on holiday.

Once you've downloaded and set up the app its literally brilliant. Life saver if you holiday in this country. 
    I use it for work but it's never that simple.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Nothing new there then.

Its been that simple for me every time I use it. Each to their own. I forget you are a technophobe! ;) 
  • Options
    Nothing easier then using a watch to make a payment 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Nothing new there then.

Its been that simple for me every time I use it. Each to their own. I forget you are a technophobe! ;) 
    Not a technophobe at all but I am a late adopter iconoclast cynic : - )
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I don’t disbelieve people when they say they “haven’t used cash in years” or “haven’t touched a note in years” but I would be interested to know how this is the case. Obviously the majority of things are done without cash nowadays but pre-Covid, I would use cash to pay for weekly football subs, a monthly hair cut, takeaway places that don’t take cash, whip rounds at work, tradies and birthday presents. And that’s just off the top of my head.
  • Options
    I haven’t got a bank account. Ain’t had one for years. Get money into my old savings a count and draw cash out. I get really pissed off when I can’t use cash. What’s wrong with it?
  • Options
    I haven’t got a bank account. Ain’t had one for years. Get money into my old savings a count and draw cash out. I get really pissed off when I can’t use cash. What’s wrong with it?
    It’s costly
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Using electronic money because it is convenient and being forced to use electronic by government are two COMPLETELY different things. With very different and scary implications for privacy, freedom and the power of government.
  • Options
    I'm about to go big into cash again, as that's the sort of money "my" builder prefers. I'll  be a regular in the local Santander and listening to their standard warnings about fraud EVERY time, once a week for about 3 months - happy days...
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    I don’t disbelieve people when they say they “haven’t used cash in years” or “haven’t touched a note in years” but I would be interested to know how this is the case. Obviously the majority of things are done without cash nowadays but pre-Covid, I would use cash to pay for weekly football subs, a monthly hair cut, takeaway places that don’t take cash, whip rounds at work, tradies and birthday presents. And that’s just off the top of my head.
    I look at where I work, and whip rounds are usually done via PayPal money pools or someone at works Monzo.me. The FA work with Paypal on a system to collect subs, I pay for haircuts via Faster Payments when the barber came round, and very few takeaway places don't take cash or are on one of the major delivery services. 
  • Options
    Homeless people don't take cards, either. That alone is reason enough for me to always carry cash.
    would personally much rather you give to the ones that do actually take card - as they've got them through a system that only allows them to spend the money on food and shelter, not drugs, and means they can't be robbed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How long until the death of the 'cash in hand' economy? 

Government must be losing out on millions of £ in tax, maybe why they're pushing electronic transactions so much. 
  • Options
    How do you pay your bills?
  • Options
    You people need to discover splitwise too.

No problem that cant be solved with an app
  • Options
    Using electronic money because it is convenient and being forced to use electronic by government are two COMPLETELY different things. With very different and scary implications for privacy, freedom and the power of government.
    We are very lucky that we don't care that Visa and Mastercard know everything that we buy these days.

Presumably our own government and probably many others could easily obtain this information.
  • Options
    You people need to discover splitwise too.

No problem that cant be solved with an app
    I know a lot of females that would love that app as they always seem to split things to the last pence.

Me? nah, I've spent enough time with my head in a device and am actually starting to stop myself from being too reliant on devices and apps. House sellers also like a bit of hard cash being offered as part of the deal.....especially if it helps swerve other charges. Not that I would condone that sort of thing or having benefited from it in the past.
  • Options
    With internet lies to make himself feel better. 

Kidding! Obvs.
  • Options
    That was going to be my question, the costs around dealing with a savings account must be a right pain. You could have a bank account set up in about 10 minutes now