Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Dangers of a Cashless Society.

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:
    The Anti money laundering and Know your customer checks needed to get hold of a card machine make it a right pain for someone to just tap your pocket and run. Also super easy for banks to recover the money. 

What is more of a problem is someone nicking your card, and running up a load of transactions in store. 
    A couple of years back banks were trialling security options ahead of upping or completely removing the limit.  One option was recording your thumb or finger ‘print’ on the chip, then, when you tap, you do so with your thumb or finger on the chip.
  • Options
    Hex said:
    Rothko said:
    The Anti money laundering and Know your customer checks needed to get hold of a card machine make it a right pain for someone to just tap your pocket and run. Also super easy for banks to recover the money. 

What is more of a problem is someone nicking your card, and running up a load of transactions in store. 
    A couple of years back banks were trialling security options ahead of upping or completely removing the limit.  One option was recording your thumb or finger ‘print’ on the chip, then, when you tap, you do so with your thumb or finger on the chip.
    yeah, NatWest tested it, it didn't work that well. Strong customer authentication should mean that you can OK a transaction via your banking app when you hit a contactless limit 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Homeless people don't take cards, either. That alone is reason enough for me to always carry cash.
    To nick it from them?
    You're getting to know me too well!!!

I find it very hard to walk past a homeless person and not speak to them and offer them some form of help.
    I still don't think you really love Millwall. You keep proving how non-Millwall you really are ;)

You're only with them, because like a first girlfriend she took pity on you when you were young and inexperienced. Deep down your heart yearns for the Red and White of Charlton, the girl next door. 
    I think you'll find we're one of the most charitable sets of fans in football and have continued to prove that very recently.

The girl next door is always the cheap option, though. Too straigh-laced, missionary only, wont talk dirty  :D
  • Options
    Using electronic money because it is convenient and being forced to use electronic by government are two COMPLETELY different things. With very different and scary implications for privacy, freedom and the power of government.
    We are very lucky that we don't care that Visa and Mastercard know everything that we buy these days.

Presumably our own government and probably many others could easily obtain this information.
    Believe me even if the government could get hold of that data they wouldn't be able to get anything usable out of it.  I'm not in the slightest bit worried about governments having my data its private companies that are likely to have the capability to do something with it. 

My view is if you live in the world and have an internet presence - Email and internet access basically then all your information is out there already, you can either worry about it or go and live off grid in a Yurt. Its the modern world unless you've got something to hide don't waste any time on it. 
    Chinese government?   Putin (Salisbury and all that) ? North Korea?

Are you sure it's alright unless you have something to hide?  B)
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Don't mind this personally. Will mean that I probably won't need to take a wallet out 95% of the time. Just use phone/watch.
    From what I've heard @ElfsborgAddick has been doing that for years
    When I first used the hole in the wall machine and it read "free cash withdrawals" I smiled and drew out £500.   I then had to query my bank statement when the withdrawal was taken from my bank statement.
  • Options
    Like many others here, it seems, I'm hardly using cash at all.  

So, what's interesting is that there is more than £70bn worth of notes in circulation.  Which is twice as much as ten years ago and equates to more than £1,000 per person, including kids.  Not what you'd expect at all.

The thing is that the BoE doesn't know where all this money is.  The speculation is that much of it is overseas or used in the black economy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The butchers in my high street is cash only. 
    The cafe next door is card only. 
  • Options
    Using electronic money because it is convenient and being forced to use electronic by government are two COMPLETELY different things. With very different and scary implications for privacy, freedom and the power of government.
    We are very lucky that we don't care that Visa and Mastercard know everything that we buy these days.

Presumably our own government and probably many others could easily obtain this information.
    Believe me even if the government could get hold of that data they wouldn't be able to get anything usable out of it.  I'm not in the slightest bit worried about governments having my data its private companies that are likely to have the capability to do something with it. 

My view is if you live in the world and have an internet presence - Email and internet access basically then all your information is out there already, you can either worry about it or go and live off grid in a Yurt. Its the modern world unless you've got something to hide don't waste any time on it. 
    Governments might not have the capability to use it but they sure as hell have the capability to lose it.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    So how does the cafe buy its sausages & bacon?
    Jumps over the wall and nicks them 
  • Options
    Hex said:
    Rothko said:

That’s how Apple Pay works. Fingerprint on the phone for any transaction. Works a treat. 

Like others, it’s now 51 weeks since I took any cash out of the bank. When the pandemic started I took $500 out, just in case there were problems with the banks closed. I still have 4 crisp $100 bills in my wallet. 
  • Options
    I had £165 in my wallet 12 months ago and it's still there.
    No cash spent in a year (no, not like usual).
  • Options
    Blimey, I thought I was an outliner not spending any cash since the turn of the year! 

Feel sorry for the kids, their piggy jars been raided rotten tipping delivery drivers the last few months 
  • Options
    Blimey, I thought I was an outliner not spending any cash since the turn of the year! 

Feel sorry for the kids, their piggy jars been raided rotten tipping delivery drivers the last few months 
    You realise they're paid to deliver... That's literally their job, their not waiters or waitresses working to keep you happy throughout your dining experience!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I had £165 in my wallet 12 months ago and it's still there.
    No cash spent in a year (no, not like usual).
    Elfs has had £165 in his wallet for the past 12 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I haven’t had a bank account for years, all I’ve got is this something called a joint account where my salary gets paid into and my wife then arranges to keep a number of home delivery companies in profit. 

Contactless is so so handy but for those of us under this joint account farce, an utter bastard come Monday when the hangover is finally starting to clear but you then get told just how much you spent in the pub on Saturday. 
    The only joint account I’ve ever had with my wife has been a mortgage - never a bank account.
    It means I have the ‘pleasure’ of transferring the money into her account rather than my employer doing it direct!
  • Options

Tipping delivery drivers...why?
    its like tipping the postman, or your doctor...
  • Options

Tipping delivery drivers...why?
    its like tipping the postman, or your doctor...
    I wouldn’t routinely tip delivery drivers, but I make the exception with the Ocado guys - key workers throughout the pandemic.
  • Options
    Never trust a dealer who takes credit card payments. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Also not used cash in the last year, mainly cos I’ve hardly left the house.

Love the cashless environment for lads weekends abroad esp for my regular lot who do England trips to random places often in Eastern Europe. No drawing cash out multiple times, trying to find a cash machine in the arse end of nowhere when pissed, no getting annoyed as you’re buying more rounds than someone else, no having to split a taxi charge etc or taking turns..... badly, no remembering who spent what where and on what the previous night cos you were all too pissed.

For as long as I can remember now we just spend on our credit cards, quick tally up at the airport, divide by 4 etc and a few bank transfers and everyone is sorted before we’ve even boarded the plane.

Still a depressingly expensive outcome.... some things don’t change.
  • Options

Amazon opens a till-less grocery store in London later on Thursday - its first "just walk out" shop outside the US.

Visitors to Amazon Fresh scan a smartphone app when entering and are automatically billed as they leave.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56266494

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Hand jobs
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Hand jobs
    I prefer the debate on whether brown or red sauce.