Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Dangers of a Cashless Society.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Rothko said:
    Banks are putting in hard limits on contactless payments and then have to put the pin in, mine has a £100 a day limit before you have to do it, I suspect this won't raise much to manage the risk. 

Device based payments will continue to grow, and the role of the card will reduce 
    Given people might have 2 or 3 cards on them, mugging somebody for their cards will instantly be a lot more worthwhile. This probably isn’t such a good move. 
    Cancelling cards is now a pretty simple procedure. Use something like monzo in which you can freeze cards instantly. Imagine nicking some cash and that cash suddenly becoming unusable. 
  • Options
    The card companies are ultimately the ones responsible. I have been the "victim" of card fraud twice, both times it could not have been easier, and was at worst a minor inconvenience.

I think if it were up to some people we would still be in caves hitting each other with sticks.  
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    The card companies are ultimately the ones responsible. I have been the "victim" of card fraud twice, both times it could not have been easier, and was at worst a minor inconvenience.

I think if it were up to some people we would still be in caves hitting each other with sticks.  

Don't knock it, if you have tried it.

• Options
    This book/author is well worth a read .. Author Talks: Gottfried Leibbrandt on why cash may be a thing of the past | McKinsey

I'm just back from a few days in Morecambe, a place like a lot of small towns dependent on travellers/holiday makers which is just recovering after a long time in the doldrums. Many small shops and cafes in Morecambe will only take cash and have done away with their digital payment facilities as they will not pay the transaction fees demanded by the payment companies. Also of course it does help to keep their business a lot more confidential.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    This book/author is well worth a read .. Author Talks: Gottfried Leibbrandt on why cash may be a thing of the past | McKinsey

I'm just back from a few days in Morecambe, a place like a lot of small towns dependent on travellers/holiday makers which is just recovering after a long time in the doldrums. Many small shops and cafes in Morecambe will only take cash and have done away with their digital payment facilities as they will not pay the transaction fees demanded by the payment companies. Also of course it does help to keep their business a lot more confidential.
    I have worked in a place where they would even charge 0.8% on cash deposits into the bank. 

They will have their pound of flesh!

Cash is generally for tax avoidance (tradesmen/ car dealers/ cabbies are a prime example), and drug purchases, although I tend to do both of those things more on Bitcoin these days. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Banks are putting in hard limits on contactless payments and then have to put the pin in, mine has a £100 a day limit before you have to do it, I suspect this won't raise much to manage the risk. 

Device based payments will continue to grow, and the role of the card will reduce 
    Given people might have 2 or 3 cards on them, mugging somebody for their cards will instantly be a lot more worthwhile. This probably isn’t such a good move. 
    Girl next to me in the office got mugged in bluewater last week. 14 others had been done the same day security told her. She froze her cards and luckily got away with them not being used but like you say I imagine it will happen more frequently going forward.
    mugged as in "give me your wallet" or pickpocketed? Either way for 14 people to be done is terrible.
    The way she described it I cant get my head around but then it's never happened to me. She was paying for some grub at yo sushi and said it was a bit chaotic around her with the kids and lots of people around. She had her purse in her hand and had the her arm yanked back and the purse snatched out of her hand.

I asked if she see the person that snatched it from her and she said it all happened too quickly but told security about it. She was then told 14 others had also been done. The bit I cant understand is not seeing the person that snatched it from her.
    assume working in gangs and pretty sharp ways of working - you'd hope Bluewater security would have a bit of a better handle on them...
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Girl next to me in the office got mugged in bluewater last week. 14 others had been done the same day security told her. She froze her cards and luckily got away with them not being used but like you say I imagine it will happen more frequently going forward.
    mugged as in "give me your wallet" or pickpocketed? Either way for 14 people to be done is terrible.
    The way she described it I cant get my head around but then it's never happened to me. She was paying for some grub at yo sushi and said it was a bit chaotic around her with the kids and lots of people around. She had her purse in her hand and had the her arm yanked back and the purse snatched out of her hand.

I asked if she see the person that snatched it from her and she said it all happened too quickly but told security about it. She was then told 14 others had also been done. The bit I cant understand is not seeing the person that snatched it from her.
    I got mugged by 2 people in Colombia and afterwards I had no idea what they looked like, even though they'd stood in front of me.

I don't like the idea of £100 limits, £45 is more than enough I think.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Cancelling cards is now a pretty simple procedure. Use something like monzo in which you can freeze cards instantly. Imagine nicking some cash and that cash suddenly becoming unusable. 
    I can't remember the last time I did a transaction with a card
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

I have worked in a place where they would even charge 0.8% on cash deposits into the bank. 

Cash is generally for tax avoidance (tradesmen/ car dealers/ cabbies are a prime example), and drug purchases, although I tend to do both of those things more on Bitcoin these days. 
    Doing this on a publicly available ledger isn’t the best idea. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:

assume working in gangs and pretty sharp ways of working - you'd hope Bluewater security would have a bit of a better handle on them...
    Yep said the same to my mrs when I was telling her. That's the only way I can think its happened. People maybe queuing up close to her were in on it and someone has reached around and snatched the purse with the others blocking her view.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s a nightmare to rack a line up with an iPhone and snort it through a watch.
    Nectar!
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Paypal and straight-up faster payments is the route at the moment. In the US it's just rampant via the Cash app. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Huskaris said:

Paypal and straight-up faster payments is the route at the moment. In the US it's just rampant via the Cash app. 
    Id hate to wait an hour with my dealer for my bitcoin payment to go through the network just to pick up a twenty bag. Only to find out that it’s now dipped to £19.70. 
  • Options
    Coincidentally, I travelled up to London with my wife and youngest son and this came up in the conversation, I am mostly a cash person and refuse to accept its demise whereas my son is the complete opposite. I had already taken out cash to cover our meal which was the cause of much mickey taking from both him and my wife who believe I am a dinosaur in this respect.

We arrived at the restaurant to be greeted by the Manager informing us that their systems were down and that "unfortunately, it's cash only!".

In the land of the blind I was king!  
    Had a very nice lunch on Wednesday, went to pay the bill with a card to be told that the system had gone down and was it OK if they took our mobile and called us at some point in the future to pay over the phone.

Now being the honest person I am I of course gave them my number (and they called us the next day) but a less scrupulous person might have had a very nice free lunch.
    What restaurant was that and is the system still down? Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    JaShea99 said:
    Coincidentally, I travelled up to London with my wife and youngest son and this came up in the conversation, I am mostly a cash person and refuse to accept its demise whereas my son is the complete opposite. I had already taken out cash to cover our meal which was the cause of much mickey taking from both him and my wife who believe I am a dinosaur in this respect.

We arrived at the restaurant to be greeted by the Manager informing us that their systems were down and that "unfortunately, it's cash only!".

In the land of the blind I was king!  
    Had a very nice lunch on Wednesday, went to pay the bill with a card to be told that the system had gone down and was it OK if they took our mobile and called us at some point in the future to pay over the phone.

Now being the honest person I am I of course gave them my number (and they called us the next day) but a less scrupulous person might have had a very nice free lunch.
    What restaurant was that and is the system still down? Asking for a friend.
    Unfortunately for your friend, I think their machine is now working, but if they fancied a bit of a drive for a pint and a bite to eat in one of the country's oldest pubs (it got its licence in 1397) here it is:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_George_Inn,_Norton_St_Philip

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Huskaris said:

Id hate to wait an hour with my dealer for my bitcoin payment to go through the network just to pick up a twenty bag. Only to find out that it’s now dipped to £19.70. 
    The price only goes up. 
  • Options
    Funnily enough the only 2 times I have been q victim of fraud both were because of rare times I actually got cash out. I used a cash point that had been tampered with and my card was cloned. One was at Victoria Station and the other was a petrol station in medway (probably to be expected!).
  • Options
    Not tipping in a New York restaurant could well get you chased down the street.  Double the amount of tax was a standard although some bills actually included the tip in the bill (or check as they call it).  Some waitresses are employed without salary, relying on tips.

My father owned men’s shops (gentlemen outfitter in those days) in Blackheathen Village and the Standard and and would present the milkman, postman etc with a tie at Christmas.

In NZ some restaurants include a facility to add a tip, all to come out of your credit card with the rest of the bill.
  • Options
    Government uses the excuse that getting rid of cash will stop drug dealers and criminals. What a croc. It's just their excuse to force inflation on people by not giving them any ways to opt out of a currency and also to keep tabs on them and what they spend. Not a surprise that in tandem with this awful idea is another wheeze to have currency that depreciates to zero after a fixed time so that people have to spend it. God forbid people save money. Most Western governments are not horrified at how China tracks people, they are envious of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Government uses the excuse that getting rid of cash will stop drug dealers and criminals. What a croc. It's just their excuse to force inflation on people by not giving them any ways to opt out of a currency and also to keep tabs on them and what they spend. Not a surprise that in tandem with this awful idea is another wheeze to have currency that depreciates to zero after a fixed time so that people have to spend it. God forbid people save money. Most Western governments are not horrified at how China tracks people, they are envious of it.
    As someone who has spent the majority of my adult life in China, these policies have only ever made my life easier, it’s been possible to live cashless for years and I’d honestly hate the idea of going back to having to carry germ ridden notes around with me. 

I agree. I very rarely use cash these days (although I generally carry a small amount in my wallet).
    I appreciate that it is not for everyone though, or as accessible for everyone.
    Cash will eventually disappear - just a matter of time.
  • Options
    As someone who has spent the majority of my adult life in China, these policies have only ever made my life easier, it’s been possible to live cashless for years and I’d honestly hate the idea of going back to having to carry germ ridden notes around with me. 
    Yep, the government always knows best. Just ask the Uyghurs! 
  • Options
    Never use cash anymore. I just nick and jib stuff I want.

Unless it's too big to get into my coat pockets.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Never use cash anymore. I just nick and jib stuff I want.

Unless it's too big to get into my coat pockets.
    Nick by name nick by nature, it’s in your genes.

Nick Nick…Nick Nick.
  • Options
    Not thought about this too much, but do remember a news report I watched on the first bakers come coffee shop to go cashless (think it was one of thoes in Turnham Green Terrace from memory). The manager was coming over like he was doing a massive service to his customers, but I remember thinking; it's okay for these poncy places to do it, but what happens if / when all the bakers and food places go cashless? What are homeless people with no bank account and who beg for their money going to do? Or those who have done the odd job for 20 quid, and that what they've got to live on for the next week or 2? 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Not thought about this too much, but do remember a news report I watched on the first bakers come coffee shop to go cashless (think it was one of thoes in Turnham Green Terrace from memory). The manager was coming over like he was doing a massive service to his customers, but I remember thinking; it's okay for these poncy places to do it, but what happens if / when all the bakers and food places go cashless? What are homeless people with no bank account and who beg for their money going to do? Or those who have done the odd job for 20 quid, and that what they've got to live on for the next week or 2?