Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CHARLTON 2 PLYMOUTH 1 - 22/09/18 - POST MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Passing was slick, final ball let us down quite a bit, gave the ball away to freely at times but Plymouth were decent (my 2nd team) my cousin (Argyle fan) has said that they've been playing OK and on that performance I think they will turn their season around at some point.

2 months seems an age without Bauer though.

All in all a decent performance and another 3 points.
  • Reeves vision and passing was excellent today.
    Aribo was top drawer.
    Ward was good too.
    Not sure why anyone is at all critical of these guys!
  • https://skysports.com/football/charlton-vs-plymouth/393195

Two and a half minutes of highlights on sky sports
  • Thoroughly enjoyed that, love this team at the moment, we are playing some good stuff, thought Reeves was excellent, as was Ward
  • Sponsored links:

• Joe Aribo

Team was class from start to finish! Good support at The Valley! Onto the next one 💪🏾#CAFC

• More
    Great performance! 3 points ✅ 2 Goals✅ not a bad afternoon. Fans incredible through out ❤️ thankyou 🔥
  • Today’s result has offered a silver lining to what has been a rather crappy day.

LB and the boys, thank you and I salute you all.
  • Igor Vetokele

Verified account

@IgorVetokele
    36m36 minutes ago
    More
    Winning vibes 🙌🏾
    Good team performance and +3 points #cafc
  • Jason Pearce

Verified account

@jpearce05
    23m23 minutes ago
    More
    GET IN!!!! 4 in a row 💪🏻 lads were superb , fans kept with us 🙌🏻 ⚽️🔴⚪️#Cafc #coyr #ontothenextone @andrews__k
  • Ben Reeves

Verified account

@BenReevo
    37m37 minutes ago
    More Ben Reeves Retweeted Charlton Athletic FC
    Can’t beat a late winner at home 🔴
  • Lewis Page

Verified account

@LewisPage3
    34m34 minutes ago
    More
    Love a late winner! Top result at home , let’s keep the momentum! Thanks to the fans Aswell great atmosphere. @karlangrant ⚽️⚽️🔥! Enjoy the weekend 👏🏽🔴
  • Naby Sarr

Verified account

@nabysarr
    10m10 minutes ago
    More
    Massive 3pts Today 🔥 #TrustTheProcess 😀🙏🏿🦁 #CAFC 🔴⚪️ à Charlton Athletic FC
  • Naby Sarr

Verified account

@nabysarr
    4m4 minutes ago
    More
    Massive 3pts today ! Great performance from the lads and the Man on fire @karlangrant 🔥 Fans were awesome thanks for the support 👏🏿 #CAFC ⚪️🔴
  • Sponsored links:

• George Lapslie

@GeorgeLapslie
    10m10 minutes ago
    More
    4 wins in 4 🤩 @CAFCofficial Boys are on fire 🔥
  • Enjoyed an entertaining if at times frustrating game today.

Negatives - still don't think we close down players quick enough outside the box, allowing them to get a shot away - like many of the people around me, I thought Plymouth got a goal straight back after we scored our second, but fortunately, their number 8's shot from outside the area bulged the net after hitting the advertising boards.

-I thought Pearce and Page have had better games than they did today, Solly did well and Sarr had a strong game - love his ability to ping a ball across the pitch or hit a ball into space for Page to run on to. We will miss Bauer's presence and no-nonsense style for the next couple of months.

Positives - we created a lot, we kept going and we got the ball into the box much quicker than we have the last few times I have seen us play.

I was very impressed with Ward - he played one-touch football and pinged balls across as soon as he got them, not giving Plymouth a chance to get back in numbers like we do so often. He put in a proper shift and you can tell he is that type of player you love if he is on your team but hate if he plays against you - he was on the refs back constantly (rightly so after some of his odd decisions).

The front two - Taylor, although he missed a penalty, kept running and getting into space - he is not a selfish player and holds the ball up excellently. Not his best game today but even not at his best I think he is a big step up from Josh.

Grant - was in the right place at the right time twice, just what we need in a striker. Some of his decision making was suspect at times, but he is still very young and is a league one striker so what else can we expect.

I thought Cullen's ability to thread a pass and provide quality set-pieces is something we have been missing for a long time and looks a very astute signing. Aribo was quality - the ball just seems the stick to him at times. Reeves played some excellent cross-field balls and looks much better than under KR.

I couldn't tell if Igor meant the assist at the end but either way I imagine getting it will have boosted his confidence, which can only be a positive.

Another late win, another 3 points. I'm enjoying this...

p.s. anther shout out to the giant football rattle in the west upper, got the fans around him much more animated than usual!
  • edited September 2018
    That was a decent game. It looks like Bowyer has a combination of strikers that score, midfield that battle/win the ball and a solid defence which keeps chances for Steer to a minimum. Grant could have had 4 had he not missed the rebound from the penalty and put away that close range shot after a run in the box. Still felt like we would get another goal up until the last few minutes and then Grant gets a well deserved winner after Igors intentional headed pass unintentionally hits his toes into Karlans path. Argyle were pretty decent in patches and almost took the lead in the second half hitting the bar. With the chances we are creating from this classy midfield and the players coming back to fitness one can’t help but get excited about the prospects of this season.
  • Anyone who thinks Reeves was anything other than excellent today was either only pretending to be there or would simply think he was shit regardless of what he does. I have been his absolutely biggest critic and have regarded him until now as the biggest waste of space ever. But neither I nor anyone else can reasonably downplay his contribution to the last two home games. If he keeps this up he could be POTY. On past performance he will break sometime soon so don’t hold your breath but credit where it’s due please folks.

this
  • edited September 2018

cafc_se7 said:

robroy said:

Watched on iFollow. Thought we looked a bit shaky at the back.

We looked quality going forward and was well deserved in the end. Please we got the win as would not want Taylor worrying about the missed pen.

Loved the bit at the end where he was telling the fans in the covererd end to keep the ball haha.

Credit to Bowyer on the sub.

Onwards we march with Fosu and Billy Boy to come back

COYR’s

Totally agree mate. Watched on iFollow also and did look shaky at the back, especially first half.

Tireless work from Grant and Taylor again; chased a lot of long balls in the first half. Aribo had a really good first half but Ward was anonymous throughout and Cullen was unable to really stamp his authority on the game.

Make no mistake though, we would not have won this last season and everyone worked really hard. My only (subjective) criticism again is of Reeves. I just don't get it? He runs round in circles and more often than not his end product is poor! Too many attempts at cute little passes that don't seem to come off. Perhaps I look for it? I don't know.

Plymouth were no mugs either by the way and will (arguably) be disappointed they didn't get a draw. They were well set up, especially second half, and will not be fighting relegation in my opinion. Whether they can do a similar charge again like last season though I'm not sure.

West Country commentators were also very complimentary of our passing which was good to hear. Real good feel about this at the moment.
    Our lot said Reeves had a brilliant game?
    As I said mate, maybe it's just me(?). I just struggle to see what effect/impact he has on the game. I'll try harder though.
    If nothing else Reeves tired them out with a succession of cross field balls and with his movement. He had a really good game today and was a class above anything Plymouth had.
  • A couple of questions for those who saw the game. First, was it a poor penalty or a good save? Second, is Igor starting to look like the player we had before his injury?

Ok pen....good save. Can't tell with Igor and won't be able to tell until he starts a couple of games. Taylor will be suspended soon and Igor will need to start then.
  • Thought KAG was poor overall - should have laid it to Taylor for a tap in and was sleeping when we hit the post and could've tapped in. If he can sort that out and keep scoring!! Needs someone to better coach him.

But scored 2 - whoosh?
    Shouldn't always measure a performance on goals. Grant has played better then he did today and not scored. The goals were important but his decision making was shocking.

The rebound from the penalty was also absolutely awful.
  • Yet again let down by this useless team and Taylor in particular. Money on us to win 3-1 and he misses a pen FFS : - )

Another enjoyable game and another win.

We started very well, were all over them so of course we concede.

But we played well and just kept going. Plymouth were out on their feet by the end with all the running and blocking they had to do.

Really impressed with Ward and Cullen. Pinged the ball about well, often to each other, at pace and power.

Sarr his usual wonderful crossfield pass and his usual three mistakes, one in the first half when he went to ground when last man and the forward skipped past him.

Don't think Grant had his best game but scored twice and worked his socks off. Will take that every week.

Grant gave a little prayer at the end, no doubt at having got a big let off for his miss.

Bielic for Reeves when fit.

WTF is Aribo's haircut about?

Old school rattle in the West upper. Don't think it will catch on but it should.

Shame most other side's won but we can only do our job.

8ielik for Reeves at home? Bielik for Sarr I'd say (although Sarr' s passing from the back was key to the way we played today....continually fed Page and kept them pinned back).