Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CHARLTON 2 PLYMOUTH 1 - 22/09/18 - POST MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Cracking day. Was sat in the west with my Plymouth- supporting step dad. Lost my voice and proper happy. COYA!
  • Options

Enjoyed an entertaining if at times frustrating game today.

Negatives - still don't think we close down players quick enough outside the box, allowing them to get a shot away - like many of the people around me, I thought Plymouth got a goal straight back after we scored our second, but fortunately, their number 8's shot from outside the area bulged the net after hitting the advertising boards.

-I thought Pearce and Page have had better games than they did today, Solly did well and Sarr had a strong game - love his ability to ping a ball across the pitch or hit a ball into space for Page to run on to. We will miss Bauer's presence and no-nonsense style for the next couple of months.

Positives - we created a lot, we kept going and we got the ball into the box much quicker than we have the last few times I have seen us play.

I was very impressed with Ward - he played one-touch football and pinged balls across as soon as he got them, not giving Plymouth a chance to get back in numbers like we do so often. He put in a proper shift and you can tell he is that type of player you love if he is on your team but hate if he plays against you - he was on the refs back constantly (rightly so after some of his odd decisions).

The front two - Taylor, although he missed a penalty, kept running and getting into space - he is not a selfish player and holds the ball up excellently. Not his best game today but even not at his best I think he is a big step up from Josh.

Grant - was in the right place at the right time twice, just what we need in a striker. Some of his decision making was suspect at times, but he is still very young and is a league one striker so what else can we expect.

I thought Cullen's ability to thread a pass and provide quality set-pieces is something we have been missing for a long time and looks a very astute signing. Aribo was quality - the ball just seems the stick to him at times. Reeves played some excellent cross-field balls and looks much better than under KR.

I couldn't tell if Igor meant the assist at the end but either way I imagine getting it will have boosted his confidence, which can only be a positive.

Another late win, another 3 points. I'm enjoying this...

p.s. anther shout out to the giant football rattle in the west upper, got the fans around him much more animated than usual!

No chance and was an absolutely awful header that worked out brilliantly. Sure there's more to come from Igor which is exciting as should keep Grant and Taylor on their toes. Fosu and Clarke also to come back, we suddenly look very exciting going forward. Reeves was the biggest plus for me, been raring for him to get going and I really hope we see more displays like too. His ball for the winner was superb.
  • Options
    Not too often I notice random opposition players as I'm focussing on our boys but my word, Ruben Lameiras (Plymouth number 11) was one of the worst players I've ever seen at The Valley.

It was painful... no thanks to watching that every week!
  • Options
    There is one criticism I can make about Aribo... his haircut!.
  • Options
    My man crush on Taylor grows each week
  • Options
    Unhappy from Bromley signing in.
    Any chance we can keep Taylor up front Lee.
    Plays every position apart from goalie.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

How's yer belly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thought KAG was poor overall - should have laid it to Taylor for a tap in and was sleeping when we hit the post and could've tapped in. If he can sort that out and keep scoring!! Needs someone to better coach him.

He's literally just won us 3 points and you're knocking him for being poor?
    Doomer by name Doomer by nature.
  • Options

Anyone who thinks Reeves was anything other than excellent today was either only pretending to be there or would simply think he was shit regardless of what he does. I have been his absolutely biggest critic and have regarded him until now as the biggest waste of space ever. But neither I nor anyone else can reasonably downplay his contribution to the last two home games. If he keeps this up he could be POTY. On past performance he will break sometime soon so don’t hold your breath but credit where it’s due please folks.

In a congested midfield when play was narrow he had the effect of causing it to open up creating space and releasing others as passing options. On top of that he harried and made quite a few turnovers.
    Might have looked like aimless possession at times to some, but not for others.

• Options

clb74 said:

How's yer belly.
    Should be back for the Luton game
  • Options

Wish we were better at taking Penalties they are golden opportunities to win or draw games if behind.

Did you lift that out of 'Viz - Top Tips' Indian?? :wink:
    Erm, I think he’s called Indiana.
  • Options
    Fosu back next week right? Who drops out for him?
  • Options

Cracking day. Was sat in the west with my Plymouth- supporting step dad. Lost my voice and proper happy. COYA!

Sat in the West and lost your voice what happened, were the Prawn sandwiches late or the Bovril cold
  • Options
    Delighted with that, thoroughly deserved and definitely the sort of game we would have lost or drawn this time last year.

The midfield 4 were superb and with Taylor and KG you always feel that there is going to be a chance

Reeves was everywhere in the second half and based on his performance today I wouldn’t drop him for Fosu

This is shaping up as a pretty good month so far
  • Options
    A deserved victory, but an enjoyable game and I'm sure Plymouth fans will feel they could have got something

Good that we are trying to play football, Reeves fits in well with this way of playing.

We looked a bit shaky at the back, all along I've felt we're slightly short back there, even when Bielik is back, if he plays defensive midfield we've no CB cover, and as Bowyer was saying, Sarr is also our LB cover.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Exceeding expectations. Well done everyone. Form good enough throughout August-September to get a play-off place...if Bowyer can lift it automatic promotion is a possibility. Goals for could do with being slightly higher but its ok, goals against ok as well.
  • Options

My first match since the bad old days of Sir Karl Gobinson and my message to fellow doubters is get back to the Valley before Roland puts the prices up.

In the midst of a complete shambles, next to zero budget and little in the way of senior management support, Lee Bowyer and his staff have instilled passion, professionalism and a bit of old school Charlton spirit. I loved every minute of it.

Some very good football in places, no shortage of desire and lots of noise. Just felt a little bit like the good old days.

As for the match, I don't agree that Plymouth were poor at all. They played some lovely stuff at times and their No. 10 Carey looked very classy. Just lacked a cutting edge and some belief. A bit like we used to be under the Gobshite. Lots of style, no bite. I agree with @Foreveraddicted that Argyle and their impressive away contingent deserve a little sympathy.

I love Joe Aribo and though I don't take to Reeves , he played his heart out today, flinging himself into tackles and deserves a lot of credit. With him, Ward and Cullen all on the pitch we had a lot of ability but lacked muscle. It was imbalanced but we got away with it. Taylor is something special. Naby is world class or maybe not, you can't be sure. Pearce is the new Psycho. Work in progress but beginning to look like a proper team.

Hats off also to Bowyer for leaving KG on when most would have pulled him off at 70 mins. He was not at all impressive but scored twice.

And my Mrs says there is "Roland Out" graffiti in the lady's loo in the East stand. Great afternoon all round.

I'm very pleased he scored and all, but I wouldn't go that far...
    Reach for your gender neutral side , it was a great game.
  • Options
    Things can only get better - And they will
    Have always though Reeves is a Qualty player -nothing Insaw today would change my mind.
    Aribo - your going to score Aribo
    The next one from the Acadamy we will probably have to sell
    But goals win games -KAG - saw his debut at Fulham. That was nearly 4yrs ago
    I think with him and Grant we have our best strike partnership for many a year
    Oh. I forgot - Igor / Fosu/ Clarke and a few more to come back
    Happy days.COYR