Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Tours 2018-19 (and everything off the field during that period)

By popular request (well one person anyway) to open a thread for this - first warm up game in Sri Lanka is tomorrow.

Comments

• So... who should be the new England Director of Cricket?
  • Has Bairstow head butted anyone yet?
  • Riviera said:

Chizz said:

So... who should be the new England Director of Cricket?

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/81661/england-cricket-summer-of-2018#latest
    I posted it on this thread, as it's more relevant to the current Winter (2018/19) than to last Summer (2019). And will need to be finalised during this winter.
  • Chizz said:

Alec Stewart
  • Chizz said:

Alec Stewart
    Interesting!

I have never been a fan, to be honest. But his credentials are far better than many. I wonder if he could be persuaded to cut his ties to Surrey.
  • edited October 2018
    Give it to Rob Key (half joking)
  • Stewart is too far up his own backside and too outspoken for the establishment
  • Stewart is anything but outspoken. He's Mr Establishment. Squeaky clean apart from the story Scyld Berry told me.
  • Chizz said:

Riviera said:

Chizz said:

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/81661/england-cricket-summer-of-2018#latest
    I posted it on this thread, as it's more relevant to the current Winter (2018/19) than to last Summer (2019). And will need to be finalised during this winter.
    I know. Annoying isn't when people try to be clever just for the sake of it?
  • Sponsored links:

• First ODI next wed. 8.30 am Sky Sports. I imagine a 9/9.30 am start.
  • Chizz said:

I've been saying for years that Nasser should be involved in the England set-up. Maybe he's been approached and doesn't fancy it. He has a nice job but I'd like to think he has the balls to come out of the comfort zone of the commentary box. Other than him I'd like to see Atherton given a crack.
  • Give it to Rob Key (half joking)

He won't get it but he would be brilliant, best captain England never had. Great mind for the game and young enough to be "in touch".
  • Riviera said:

Stewart is anything but outspoken. He's Mr Establishment. Squeaky clean apart from the story Scyld Berry told me.

Was that the one involving Alex Stewart, a sheep, chocolate body paint and the Cheeky Girls?
  • In no particular order, these are the main names in the frame for the Director of England Cricket:

Andy Flower
    Angus Fraser
    Mick Newell
    Ashley Giles
    Nasser Hussain
    Michael Vaughan
    Michael Atherton
    Alec Stewart
    Rob Andrew
    Ed Smith

Of these, Andy Flower has to be favourite simply because he has done every job in and around England. However, I would like to see Hussain or Atherton get the job.

• In no particular order, these are the main names in the frame for the Director of England Cricket:

Andy Flower
    Angus Fraser
    Mick Newell
    Ashley Giles
    Nasser Hussain
    Michael Vaughan
    Michael Atherton
    Alec Stewart
    Rob Andrew
    Ed Smith

Of these, Andy Flower has to be favourite simply because he has done every job in and around England. However, I would like to see Hussain or Atherton get the job.

Do you think Andy Flower would want a full-time role, based in England?
  • Chizz said:

In no particular order, these are the main names in the frame for the Director of England Cricket:

Andy Flower
    Angus Fraser
    Mick Newell
    Ashley Giles
    Nasser Hussain
    Michael Vaughan
    Michael Atherton
    Alec Stewart
    Rob Andrew
    Ed Smith

Do you think Andy Flower would want a full-time role, based in England?
    I'm not sure where he lives but Flower is a British Citizen which would suggest that this shouldn't be an issue.

Andy Flower
    Angus Fraser
    Mick Newell
    Ashley Giles
    Nasser Hussain
    Michael Vaughan
    Michael Atherton
    Alec Stewart
    Rob Andrew
    Ed Smith

I would be surprised if Atherton or Hussain, would give up there jobs with Sky, and I would miss them commentating, The one job Andy Flower has not done is play cricket for England.

Andy Flower
    Angus Fraser
    Mick Newell
    Ashley Giles
    Nasser Hussain
    Michael Vaughan
    Michael Atherton
    Alec Stewart
    Rob Andrew
    Ed Smith

I would be surprised if Atherton or Hussain, would give up there jobs with Sky, and I would miss them commentating, The one job Andy Flower has not done is play cricket for England.
    Not sure that should or would preclude him - he has not just been England Head Coach but has an inherent understanding of the game in this country and also is totally aware of the young players coming through his position as the current Head Coach to the Lions. On that basis, one would also presume that he has an existing relationship with Ed Smith.

Andy Flower
    Angus Fraser
    Mick Newell
    Ashley Giles
    Nasser Hussain
    Michael Vaughan
    Michael Atherton
    Alec Stewart
    Rob Andrew
    Ed Smith

Not sure that should or would preclude him - he has not just been England Head Coach but has an inherent understanding of the game in this country and also is totally aware of the young players coming through his position as the current Head Coach to the Lions. On that basis, one would also presume that he has an existing relationship with Ed Smith.
    I agree it should not preclude him, but I would like to see him take over from Trevor Bayliss, at the end of next summer as I rate him very highly as a coach
  • Sponsored links:

• Here's a stat - no England left arm fast bowler has ever taken 100 Test wickets. For whatever reason we don't seem to produce left armers whereas the likes of Australia, New Zealand and Pakistan seem to have a conveyor belt of them.

Could Sam Curran be the first to do so?
  • Andy Flower is doing the job in the interim, probably his to turn down.
  • edited October 2018

Here's a stat - no England left arm fast bowler has ever taken 100 Test wickets. For whatever reason we don't seem to produce left armers whereas the likes of Australia, New Zealand and Pakistan seem to have a conveyor belt of them.

Bill Voce got 98....

There were a lot less tests back then plus World War 2 which took out 6 years of his career. He was past his peak as a bowler after the War.
  • Why didn't Root bowl out? Woakes proving again he is an England in England bowler, a very good one mind.
  • just had a look but I cant seem to find any scheduled highlights on free to air TV. has sky got complete exclusivity?
  • LenGlover said:

Here's a stat - no England left arm fast bowler has ever taken 100 Test wickets. For whatever reason we don't seem to produce left armers whereas the likes of Australia, New Zealand and Pakistan seem to have a conveyor belt of them.

Bill Voce got 98....

There were a lot less tests back then plus World War 2 which took out 6 years of his career. He was past his peak as a bowler after the War.
    Did you see him play?
  • LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Bill Voce got 98....

Did you see him play?
    I'm an old git but not quite that old.

Although having said that I have vague memories of a televised Lords Taverners v Old England match in the early sixties when I were a lad and I think Voce might have been in the OlD England side. The likes of Norman Wisdom, Brian Rix and Prince Phillip no less played for the Lords Taverners. One of the umpires was 100 years old and apparently umpired a match when WG Grace was playing.

Before you ask I didn't see WG play either :wink:
    Did Prince Phillip sledge the opposition? :smile:
  • just had a look but I cant seem to find any scheduled highlights on free to air TV. has sky got complete exclusivity?

I think that's the norm. Channel 5 have rights to highlights of home series, but I think shy have exclusive rights to overseas series