Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tours 2018-19 (and everything off the field during that period)

Comments

• Options

The really good keepers make the job look simple. Both the stumping and catch were anything but easy but Foakes made it look as such. His technique is consistent which allows him to take those chances when the batsman is moving and the bat is being flung.

I am a massive fan of Buttler as a cricketer but Foakes is in a different league to him as a keeper.

When a proper keeper can make a century on debut, it makes you wonder why we've been scratching around with batsman/keepers for so long. Especially with Foakes' first class batting average of over 40, which is higher than Buttler's
    Billings is better than Buttler and Bairstow too and probably on a par with Foakes as a keepr. He doesn't enjoy the same first class average as Foakes though. The selectors, as we all know, don't like Kent though.
    It agree billings is a better keeper than Jonny and Jos. But I won't have that he is better than Foakes. The only man I've seen in the same league with the gloves is Foster. Just genuinely beautiful to watch behind the stumps.

A bat keeper you notice, a good keeper you don't notice, an exceptional keeper you drool over.
  • Options

The really good keepers make the job look simple. Both the stumping and catch were anything but easy but Foakes made it look as such. His technique is consistent which allows him to take those chances when the batsman is moving and the bat is being flung.

I am a massive fan of Buttler as a cricketer but Foakes is in a different league to him as a keeper.

When a proper keeper can make a century on debut, it makes you wonder why we've been scratching around with batsman/keepers for so long. Especially with Foakes' first class batting average of over 40, which is higher than Buttler's
    Billings is better than Buttler and Bairstow too and probably on a par with Foakes as a keepr. He doesn't enjoy the same first class average as Foakes though. The selectors, as we all know, don't like Kent though.
    It agree billings is a better keeper than Jonny and Jos. But I won't have that he is better than Foakes. The only man I've seen in the same league with the gloves is Foster. Just genuinely beautiful to watch behind the stumps.

A bat keeper you notice, a good keeper you don't notice, an exceptional keeper you drool over.
    We'll have to differ on that one Canters. Billings is an exceptionally good keeper (and this isn't my Kent hat talking) and he was earmarked, had he scored big runs in the CC in the last couple of seasons, to take the gloves. Now Foakes is in situ he has very little chance. Mind you Billings is also an outstanding fielder as are Bairstow and Buttler.

• Options
    redman said:

redman said:

There's too much white ball cricket for proper warm-up games. They really should make time for a couple of three day games at least before starting a Test series, yet even then, with the weather, how much cricket would they have got in.

I hope the weather improves as I am currently typing this at Kuala Lumpur Airport waiting for the Malaysia Airlines flight to Colombo, before getting the train to Galle on Monday for the first Test on Tuesday. Back to Phuket straight after that final day, unfortunately.

I'll also be in Galle for the test. Although we have a problem in that we haven't as yet been able to get match tickets. Apparently they have made a complete balls up with the tour companies! I'm sure we'll get in but it has been a bit frustrating. Do you have tickets already?
    No. There's nothing online, looks like it'll be a free for all on the day. I'll be getting there early.
    Not sure if you have been to ground yet. We have now got standing tickets on the grass bank for days 1,3 and 4. Can't get anything for day 2. Days 1 and 2 sold out.
    Suspecting chaos. Good luck!
    Good to meet you today and hope see you at lunchtime tomorrow in the same place.

It was exceptionally hot today and how we got two full day's play in with that weather forecast and the rain the night before the Test I don't know. Forecast is good for tomorrow, which probably means it'll piss down!
  • Options
    Be

redman said:

redman said:

There's too much white ball cricket for proper warm-up games. They really should make time for a couple of three day games at least before starting a Test series, yet even then, with the weather, how much cricket would they have got in.

I hope the weather improves as I am currently typing this at Kuala Lumpur Airport waiting for the Malaysia Airlines flight to Colombo, before getting the train to Galle on Monday for the first Test on Tuesday. Back to Phuket straight after that final day, unfortunately.

I'll also be in Galle for the test. Although we have a problem in that we haven't as yet been able to get match tickets. Apparently they have made a complete balls up with the tour companies! I'm sure we'll get in but it has been a bit frustrating. Do you have tickets already?
    No. There's nothing online, looks like it'll be a free for all on the day. I'll be getting there early.
    Not sure if you have been to ground yet. We have now got standing tickets on the grass bank for days 1,3 and 4. Can't get anything for day 2. Days 1 and 2 sold out.
    Good to meet you today and hope see you at lunchtime tomorrow in the same place.

It was exceptionally hot today and how we got two full day's play in with that weather forecast and the rain the night before the Test I don't know. Forecast is good for tomorrow, which probably means it'll piss down!
    Be good to meet up if your around Itomorrow. I and three other Charlton supporting family are there.
  • Options
    Make jokes out of him all you like. Check the figures over the last 6 or 7 years he has been right up there with the best one day bowlers in county cricket consistently every year. In my view the beat death bowler in the country. He has matured a lot in the last few years and is a far better bowler bow than he was with England. Still has all the variations but uses them a lot better than previously.
  • Options
    The best death bowler not named Pat Brown. But I'm sure you'll end up signing him too
  • Options
    Leuth said:

The best death bowler not named Pat Brown. But I'm sure you'll end up signing him too

he'll have second season syndrome next season - then we'll have him at start of third.
  • Options
    Brunello said:

Be

redman said:

redman said:

Be good to meet up if your around Itomorrow. I and three other Charlton supporting family are there.
    Brunello said:

Be

redman said:

redman said:

Yes be good to meet. We are meeting behind Galle Cricket club at lunchtime ie to left of main grass bank.
    I have old England Waitose 1 say shirt on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    England 73-2, lead by 212.

Burns out 23
    Ali out 3

Jennings 40 n/o
    Root 3 n/o
  • Options
    Oh dear, update curse strikes.

74-3, Root gone for 3.
  • Options
    Thank God Denly didn’t play at 3...
  • Options
    Aaaaaaargh WHY does that muppet have to get runs NOW, we were SO close to having him out of the team
  • Options
    111-3 at lunch.

• Options
    We weren't though - they 'like' him. And now we're stuck with him for ages. When you give a guy enough chances he'll grind out a fifty. I bloody knew it
  • Options
    Leuth said:

We weren't though - they 'like' him. And now we're stuck with him for ages. When you give a guy enough chances he'll grind out a fifty. I bloody knew it

Until he has a run of poor form against pace that is.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I know I have been calling for Stokes to be dropped all week.
  • Options
    So, assuming that we accept Stokes has now played himself into the side for the next Test, we have three choices:

(1) Continue with the same side
    (2) Leave a bowler out
    (3) Leave Burns out

Leaving Burns out wouldn't make sense as he needs a run in the side to prove himself and it creates another issue as to who opens and/or bats at 3.

If the pitch is similar to this one then I could see us omitting Curran. Ali is not a no. 3 and bringing Bairstow back in would give him the opportunity to cement that spot in the side without the added responsibility of having to keep:

Jennnings
    Burns
    Bairstow
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Foakes (WK)
    Ali
    Rashid
    Leach
    Anderson
  • Options
    Well I've never seen that - the keeper adopting a stance outside the leg stump!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A rather good ball that was to dismiss Stokes for 62 (93)

181-4 and a lead of 320

Jennings 81* (179)
  • Options

So, assuming that we accept Stokes has now played himself into the side for the next Test, we have three choices:

(2) Leave a bowler out
    (3) Leave Burns out

Leaving Burns out wouldn't make sense as he needs a run in the side to prove himself and it creates another issue as to who opens and/or bats at 3.

If the pitch is similar to this one then I could see us omitting Curran. Ali is not a no. 3 and bringing Bairstow back in would give him the opportunity to cement that spot in the side without the added responsibility of having to keep:

Jennnings
    Burns
    Bairstow
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Foakes (WK)
    Ali
    Rashid
    Leach
    Anderson

Or Bairstow conveniently doesnt recover from his injury for next Test.
  • Options

(2) Leave a bowler out
    (3) Leave Burns out

Jennnings
    Burns
    Bairstow
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Foakes (WK)
    Ali
    Rashid
    Leach
    Anderson

Or Bairstow conveniently doesnt recover from his injury for next Test.
    Don't think so - he's been running out as 12th man and diving under the covers to find the ball!
  • Options
    I'd love to see Bairstow develop into a real No.3 or 4 at Test level but remember what happened last summer when he didn't keep wicket and was pushed up the order. Toys out the pram and sulked like a spoilt brat according to Michael Vaughn. He made it quite clear to anyone who'd listen that he wanted to bat no higher than 5 and play with the freedom that position allows and this apparently led to the surprise appearance of Moen at 3 in the 2nd innings of the 4th test when Bairstow wasn't keeping and was carded at 4.
    Of course it doesn't allow any freedom when you are regularly 30 odd for 3!
  • Options
    Just noticed that Jennings is 98* at tea. Breeding will tell 😀.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Riviera said:

according to Michael Vaughn.

There's your problem, he did great things for England, but now is a foghorn desperate to stay relevant.

Though, i concede, Bairstow appeared to throw his toys out last summer.
  • Options

Riviera said:

according to Michael Vaughn.

There's your problem, he did great things for England, but now is a foghorn desperate to stay relevant.

Though, i concede, Bairstow appeared to throw his toys out last summer.
    Lol! I'm not saying Vaughn is right about everything or anything; but he was at the Ageas Bowl and reported what he saw and not only he said it. I only quoted Vaughn as an eye or ear witness, he annoys me too and his outburst on the selection of Rashid and his stance that Cook should be allowed to decide his own destiny were just two of many things that have got me tweeting him.
  • Options
    Lead of 382 which is more than enough already - no team has scored more than 300 runs here in the final innings of a Test match - so time now to go into T20 mode. You never know whether the weather will turn!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Aaaaaaargh WHY does that muppet have to get runs NOW, we were SO close to having him out of the team

Leuth said:

Jennings has made Leuth lose the plot - he is actually having a conversation with himself