Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tours 2018-19 (and everything off the field during that period)

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2018

321-8 at close

Excellent 87* from Foakes - good job he's not Australian because superstition might get the better of him!

Unbeaten partnership of 15 with Leach of which Leach has made all bar one!

Silly 3rd run off the final ball imo. Foakes is now off strike for the first over tomorrow. What's the betting he'll never get to face a ball as the last 2 fall within the first over.

• Options

Thinking about the future (and not this series), we should dump Jennings (dropped twice today) and ask Bairstow to open. Foakes should now keep the gloves because he is a better keeper than Bairstow and a lot better than Buttler.

The team would look something like this:

Burns
    Bairstow
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Foakes
    Ali
    Curran/Woakes
    Rashid
    Broad/Stones
    Anderson

I like that - except not happy with Stokes at 4 - we seem a batsman light there.
    Re Stokes, his batting average is 33. If you were to take off the magnificent innings in Cape Town of 258 his average would be 30. Not the sort of average that i would like for an England no 4.

Agree Stokes would be too high at 4.

Buttler or Curran look more suited to it, though neither is ideal. We're really struggling for proper batsmen.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Hold on, where will they fit Pope,Roy, and the other Curran into the team ?

You forgot Stoneman, Dernbach, Jacks, Virdee, Rickeeeeeeeee Clarke etc etc who will all, at some point, be put forward as candidates by our CL Surrey fans.
    Gareth Batty, Scott Borthwick, Ryan Patel, Liam Plunkett, Jordan Clark, Matt Dunn, Conor Mckerr, Stuart Meaker..... the list goes on.
    I think we can safely say that Gareth Batty will never play for England again.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Foakes - Made in Essex, perfected in England. Nabbed in the middle by some two-bob numpties.

They don't just nick players - they steal coaches too. Richard Johnson has joined them from Middlesex.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Foakes - Made in Essex, perfected in England. Nabbed in the middle by some two-bob numpties.

Two bob numpties who 1) Won the championship last year 2) With mostly home grown talent (dont get Canters going !)
  • Options

McBobbin said:

They don't just nick players - they steal coaches too. Richard Johnson has joined them from Middlesex.
    From the BBC...
    'Surrey have appointed Richard Johnson as assistant coach after the former England bowler was released from his contract at Middlesex.'
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I actually think that England should just re-badge itself as Surrey and the North, so we just play every game with Surrey players plus invited Norveners such as Root, Buttler,Jimmy,Stokes and Bairstow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I actually think that England should just re-badge itself as Surrey and the North, so we just play every game with Surrey players plus invited Norveners such as Root, Buttler,Jimmy,Stokes and Bairstow.

Norther Buttler from Somerset?

Next you and canters will be claiming Joberg, durban and Cape Town are in the People's Republic of Surrey, just to increase your home grown quota. :tongue::tongue::tongue:
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Next you and canters will be claiming Joberg, durban and Cape Town are in the People's Republic of Surrey, just to increase your home grown quota. :tongue::tongue::tongue:
    Morne's from Guildford mate
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Morne's from Guildford mate
    Wasn't even including him........
  • Options
    This season was the first time since 2002 that Surrey have won the county championship, they were in div 2 in 2015, so don't get carried away
  • Options
    Happy for England to pick lots of Surrey players next summer if it means Surrey lose lots of matches as a result and go down :smile:
  • Options
    Leuth said:

321-8 at close

Excellent 87* from Foakes - good job he's not Australian because superstition might get the better of him!

Unbeaten partnership of 15 with Leach of which Leach has made all bar one!

Silly 3rd run off the final ball imo. Foakes is now off strike for the first over tomorrow. What's the betting he'll never get to face a ball as the last 2 fall within the first over.

a) this is a ludicrous criticism
    b) you clearly turned off an over too early. there was another over, leach hit it for 10 runs, and foakes is on strike in the morning
    My bad !!!! who's have thought they would have got in 91 overs in the day. That must be unheard of in world cricket these days....or indeed over the last 40 years or so that I have been watching Test cricket. I did indeed turn over after they ran 3 on the last ball of the 89th over as I thought it was all over......... .

• Options
    Decent recovery - what is the pitch like?
  • Options

Nothing wrong with it if you had a game plan and didn't try to go at the ball especially as we did in the first session.

The pitch will deteriorate so if we can set SL 250 plus in the final innings we should be in with a good chance.
  • Options

Happy for England to pick lots of Surrey players next summer if it means Surrey lose lots of matches as a result and go down :smile:

We had plenty of call ups this year which didn't affect us that much. Sam Tom Roy Stoneman and Pope all missed significant parts of the year due to call ups. We also had Burns Virdi and Foakes miss games to the lions.

We have the depth we will be fine.
  • Options

I'd have England to win from here against this SL side 19 times out of 20
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

I'd have England to win from here against this SL side 19 times out of 20
    So do the bookies - have England at evens and SL at 11/4.
  • Options
    The real question is: who does Bairstow come in for?

The answer being KEATON JENNINGS FOR FUCK'S SAKE
  • Options
    Leuth said:

The real question is: who does Bairstow come in for?

The answer being KEATON JENNINGS FOR FUCK'S SAKE

For a Worcestershire supporter you sometimes make sense.
    I have to say I agree with you completely.
  • Options
    Bairstow being forced to open could be good for him as well. Force him to leave the ball a bit. He's got the game for it. Plus, he won't be keeping
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Bairstow being forced to open could be good for him as well. Force him to leave the ball a bit. He's got the game for it. Plus, he won't be keeping

Not sure he has it in him to play that way. Stokes might be a better makeshift opener, he's proved he can play slowly when he needs to
  • Options
    Bairstow is one-day opener though, so it makes a certain level of sense
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Bairstow is one-day opener though, so it makes a certain level of sense

A completely different game though. Hales and Roy are one day openers as well.
  • Options
    It's a nice idea but I've seen nothing to suggest Bairstow should be opening in Tests.

Some of his dismissals against India were very poor and showed none of the grit and determination needed to open.

I don't have the answer though, other than Jennings isn't it.
  • Options
    Well, it has to be Jennings, although I can imagine England bowling SL out with a 100 lead and then Jennings knocking a pressure-free fifty which keeps him in for another 10 Tests. But then, who opens? Either Bairstow or Buttler
  • Options
    For me, England made a massive cock up in the summer of 2017 with their batting selections. Westerly and Malan were never going to be world class, Vince was worth a pop though. They should have looked at it and said "we have some great young players who aren't ready" and picked either Bell or Hildrith as a stop gap until after next summers ashes.

I am quite old fashioned in the sense that I would pick my best 4 bowlers and best 5 batsman then work out the last 2 places.

Using my selection criteria only 3 from the 11 today get in the 9, that's being generous to Burns.

Are Stokes and Ali good enough to bat in the top 6 long term? Are they in England's best 4 bowlers? Is Curran in England's top 4 bowlers (don't think about his batting)?

Are Anderson and Broad part of the problem, in that they are no spring chickens, so they want at least 4 seamers to reduce their work load?

If Bairstow did come in for Jennings we would go into a test match with 4 wicket keepers and 7 bowlers!