Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bent turns down Wham!

Comments

• Options
    Maybe Darren has spoken to the club and stated his desire to remain a charlton player.
  • Options
    I dont think Peter Varney would come out and say that then sell him to spurs in 7 days time.

Theres got to be obvious reasons why Darren didn't join West Ham.

- They didn't garentee him a first team place (highly unlikely)

- Wages would have not been an issue so unless he didn't fancy working with Curbs/Day/Peacock (maybe he didn't like them)

- Hes agents advised him to play the waiting game as he knows theres interest from bigger clubs (ie Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Valencia)

- Spurs want him but are not going to match valuation. However much Bent would want to go Spurs they have to bid the right price so hes waiting until they do.

- Finally, Darren wants to stay with Charlton and give the fans one more year and 30+ goals.

-
  • Options
    CommentAuthorOggy Red CommentTime11 hours ago edit permalinkquoteblock userblock comment

Perhaps he doen't want to go to west Ham
    Perhaps he doesn't want to play for Mr Curbishley
    Perhaps the huge salary offered isn't the overiding factor?

Well, that was what I posted earlier today in the £16 million + Hayden mullins thread.

If you really are staying Darren, thanks for listening.......... ;-)
  • Options
    I think he'd have felt guilty playing for West Ham in the premier league after they cheated!!
  • Options
    Or maybe he just can't wait for the next Ketman mix cd?
  • Options
    Well done Darren. I will wish him luck where ever he goes but not Westham after all that has happened over the last few months. What concerns me though is why did Varney allow Westham to speak to him in the first place? are we just going to roll over every time curbs comes near? I have never had anything at all against Westham until recently but now I can't wait to see them fail.
  • Options
    They met the valuation, and then it would be silly to refuse the player the right to talk
  • Options
    different I know but they refused to let Sherringham talk to us in January. Still at least Darren said no to them :o)
  • Options
    Near the end of the Spurs home game last season, when we'd just gone two down and the whole ground stood and gave the mightiest, rendition of VFR I've ever heard, my lads (who were watching on TV in Spain) said the cameras panned to Benty and he was just looking round the ground in awe. My lads said it send shivers down their spines. Wonder what Darren was thinking?
  • Options
    I was in Portugal in a bar joining in that rendition of vfr! I even had the barman wearing my charlton hat trying to learn the words! lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]Near the end of the Spurs home game last season, when we'd just gone two down and the whole ground stood and gave the mightiest, rendition of VFR I've ever heard, my lads (who were watching on TV in Spain) said the cameras panned to Benty and he was just looking round the ground in awe. My lads said it send shivers down their spines. Wonder what Darren was thinking?

i'm going to miss this place.
  • Options
    lol probably but I hope not!
  • Options
    We/He take a risk by not moving him on this summer though I am glad it is not to the spammers - he seems a professional player and I can see him going to one of the proper big clubs as the transfer window comes to an end.

Least he did not jump ship at the first opportunity and he seems to be thinking career rather than cash unlike some....

Hope he stays a year but can't see it.
  • Options
    In this day and age, it's almost unbelievable that a top player has turned down mega-bucks - because he felt the club wasn't the right one for him.

So many young players heads are turned by the prospect of an overblown salary, so its really refreshing that Darren Bent will make his career options for his own football playing reasons.

Of course, even loyalty to the club may be important to him and he's pledged one more season. Maybe he's been offered a substantial bonus or a even get out clause if he stays with Charlton.

Maybe he'll still move on. Who knows?
    But we'll all know for sure by September 1st.
  • Options
    Let's not forget that he still has options, how many TOP PREM clubs will pay top dollar,said and done what will suit Darren and or agent best and he's still on holiday and under contract,however the window is still open,as i said before let's hope he stays but if we sell we must maximise our prize asset, we should remember that we have a golden boot boy on our hands and as REG says not sell on the cheap.
  • Options
    drunk, and struggling to make sense of this.

I'm a natural cynic, and part of me can't help feeling this is a terrible situation.

West Ham the only club to match our valuation. More tooing and froing goes on than you realise; it would be pretty open to the club by now who is interested, who is not, and what levels they will realistically go to. West Ham were the highest, Darren hasn't put in a transfer request so the ball is in his court.

My HOPE is that the right offer hasn't come in for him, and he will either stay a Charlton player until it does, or get his big move soon.

My FEAR is that either Darren has already got his big move secretly lined up, but they won't match our valuation. Which will eventually means Darren will move on for less than what West Ham were willing to pay, as we need the cash and don't want an unhappy player.

OR He is happy to stay, but we as a club desperately need Darren to move on to generate cash to rebuild the side. Don't forget we still need to sign 3 centre mids alone.
  • Options
    He will go soon. He obviously didn't fancy working under Mr Charisma again.
  • Options
    well im drunk to afka so no sweat! does everyone not think that he wants european football?even if its the uefa cup? i doubt he'll stay but why go to west ham or portsmouth or newcastle or sopmeone like that...the only way steve maclaren will realise who he is is if he bangs them in in both prem and europe. am i the only one who believes european football is the biggest motive for a 23year old striker hoping to finally break into the the international line-up?!!!!
  • Options
    He has a move lined up elsewhere and it will pan out in the next few days.

Convinced, and no idea why the club would make a song and dance out of it.
  • Options
    agreed...just one that offers european footie
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The bottom line looks like it is simply that he did not want to go to West Ham and that could be for a number of reasons....

1] Does not fancy teaming up with Curbs/Day again and wants to play under a different management team in order to expand his game.

2] Does not see them (despite their wealth) as a big enough step up and wants to join a real blue-chip club.

3] Has been alerted by his agent that the really big fish are starting to nibble at the bait and wants to wait and see who else comes in.

I am not naive enough to think that he is desperate to stay at Charlton in the CCC, no matter how much affection he has for the club.

However, if Spurs want him (and I don't know why he'd go there given their depth of strikers) then they will have to go to at least 15 million unless they chuck in some players as well, which is a tricky thing to pull off given our CCC status.

Also, the papers are saying that even Spurs top earners are only (only!) on 35,000 per week, meaning that Benty would be on a similar deal unless they raised everyones wages already at the club, which seems unlikely.

Therefore, for him to join Spurs, he will have to accept 40,000 per week less than West Ham offered and the clubs will have to hammer out a deal.

Why do Spurs want him so badly, though? Berbatov, Keane and Defoe are all class which leads me to think that buying Bent means that Defoe is on his way out.
  • Options
    Just read the WHU official statement on the breakdown of the transfer and they couldn't agree terms. Perhaps they weren't offering the reported £75k per week.

West Ham United can confirm that, having reached agreement with Charlton Athletic on a transfer fee for Darren Bent, discussions today took place with the player and his representative.

Unfortunately, we were unable to agree personal terms and have therefore ended our interest in the player.

However, Darren Bent was just one of several transfer targets the Club have been pursuing, and we will now focus our attention on securing other potential new signings identified by Alan Curbishley and the board.
  • Options
    This is either more insight or journolistic licence on the Bent/Wham saga

Currant Bun
  • Options
    It gives Liverpool time to cough up, or at least for Rafa to get his Yank bosses to open up their wallets.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    have a gut feeling something might be brewing with arsenal. despite all the talk in past years, i can see henry moving on this summer. where, i have no clue, nor care. there were rumours of a loan deal with them in exchange for song and flamini a few weeks ago and that, or an outright sale with song and another in partial exchange a possibility. the one flaw in my theory is that wenger doesn't sign local boys.
    if he is holding out for a bigger/better club than w.ham, it is arsenal or liverpool. yes, there's loads of talk about spurs, but there is always talk of spurs linked to anyone/everyone. i think my grandma was linked to them a few years back....

hats off to bent for refusing to go. it could be ambition, loyalty to us, or not wanting to play for curbs, but it is indeed rare these days for a player to turn down that kind of cash.

like many of you, i personally don't think he will be in a charlton shirt come our first match no matter how much i wish he would. he's simply too valuable. good luck to him where ever he goes, even spurs.
  • Options
    I know its not great news for the club financially but personally im delighted.

Would have hated to see him parading in a West Ham shirt with a grinning smug Curbs next to him.

Just goes to show some players arent purely in it for money, cos no other club will offer what they were offering.

Like the West Ham statement 'couldnt agree personal terms' LOL LOL LOL.

Deserves European football. I hope Liverpool come in for him.
  • Options
    How about 14M from Liverpool and a keeper called Carson?
  • Options
    It's too early in the summer to be selling our best asset, I think he'll be off to Spurs or Arsenal, but both of those sides have some trading to do first. If Spurs sell either Berbatov or more likely Defoe that creates an opportunity. Man U are supposedly interested in both, but need to sell on Alan Smith first to free up the funds, similarly Arsenal don't know whether they'll keep Henry, Barcelona supposedly want him and they have to off-load Reyes, who wants to stay in Spain where he's been on loan. So nothing will happen at either of those two clubs until they know what their squad will look like.

West Ham would be a step up from Charlton, financially a couple of steps up, but there are other bigger teams out there that can offer him UEFA Cup football and maybe CL football, going to West Ham might make him rich but isn't going to take his career that much further forward. He's already been ignored by two England managers and needs to play at one of the top five/six teams in England to get into the squad, let alone the team, that won't happen for him at West Ham.

Charlton have though set the bench mark at which they'll sell - ca £17m - albeit including a player as a makeweight, so it's going to be tough for the club to hold out for more than that this summer. At least we now have as a club an idea of his worth and some more time to scout around and negotiate a good deal, on the downside we need a central midfielder or two, a goalkeeper and possibly another striker so perhpas it's best to have the money now and buy players and get them bedded in before pre-season training starts. I'm still sceptical that he'll be a Charlton player on August 11th but I'll be equally happy if he stays, come January one of those Premiership clubs will be offering us stupid money when they are struggling to hold onto their place in the league or need a few more goals to maintian a challenge after Rooney get's his 53rd red card or Peter Crouch jacknifes on the approach to the Mersey tunnel.
  • Options
    Make no mistake the collapse of this transfer is nothing short of a Financial disaster for CAFC. Whilst we all hope that he stays the reality is that come Scunthorpe at home he will no longer be playing for us. Like someone said above here, if Liverpool are interested I would ensure Carson is part of any move we agree to as we are desperate for a keeper.
  • Options
    14M +senderos and song?