Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bent turns down Wham!

Comments

• Options
    I agree with Ketman - it's worst possible news for us.
    THere's no way Spurs will offer anywhere near £17 or whatever West Ham were prepared to pay.
    THey will offer £12m max and then use the usual methods to unsettle him until we have no choice but to sell for around that figure.

It's all very well Varney talking tough etc. but we know that's not how it works in reality.
  • Options
    Lets think about this calmly.

With DB in our team its highly likely we'll get promoted.

If we get promoted he'll be a great asset

Therefore the pressure to sell isn't as much, and we can hold out for the asking price.

Of course it may be brinkmanship...

:)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Make no mistake the collapse of this transfer is nothing short of a Financial disaster for CAFC. Whilst we all hope that he stays the reality is that come Scunthorpe at home he will no longer be playing for us. Like someone said above here, if Liverpool are interested I would ensure Carson is part of any move we agree to as we are desperate for a keeper.

Carson was quality again for the under 21s last night. Can only see him going to a premier league side.
  • Options
    I'd ignore Varney's comments, good rhetoric and fighting talk but not much more. As razil says, if DB stays and is fully fit then promotion looks odds on and that means that mid-term we are back to earning big money, so the short-term financial pain is justified.

As for the WH deal breaking down and being a financial disaster for us, that depends on what we sell BD for. We've said we'll deal at around £17m, if Spurs do offer £12m and that is accepted then obviously it is a poor outcome for us, but we don't have to sell and not yet, I think there's more mileage in this before we know whether it adds up or not, either way this is a stunning return on our original investment.
  • Options
    Our main worry is obviously that it doesn't drag on and on all summer and then 2 hours before the deadline we accept 10m because Bent wants to go!
  • Options
    I can't believe that people think he is staying - or that him turning down West Ham is a good thing.

He's going, so we need to make sure we get the most cash possible for him - and that meant West Ham.
  • Options
    Yes and of course we need funds to bring people in... there is such a potential striker merry-go-round going on this summer as someone else aluded to, many of whom in clubs Bent might go to, so be prepared for a long summer. Don't forget though we have pretty much already borrowed against the Bent fee - mind you that is also a reason not to let him go under value.

Berbatov
    Defoe
    Henry
    Fowler - gone
    Bellamy
    Smith
    Saha

etc,etc
  • Options
    There is a rumour that he was about to sign for West ham when Spurs phoned his agent and said they'd match the wages west ham were offering. So he turned west ham down. Problem being that Spurs have yet to actually agree a price!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]I agree with Ketman - it's worst possible news for us.
    THere's no way Spurs will offer anywhere near £17 or whatever West Ham were prepared to pay.
    THey will offer £12m max and then use the usual methods to unsettle him until we have no choice but to sell for around that figure.

It's all very well Varney talking tough etc. but we know that's not how it works in reality.
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I can't believe that people think he is staying - or that him turning down West Ham is a good thing.

He's going, so we need to make sure we get the most cash possible for him - and that meant West Ham.

Sadly, both these comments are bang on.
  • Options
    na long summer to go yet..

:D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Actually people he was going last January. But a problem occurred in the transfer. Luckily for us i suppose but he didnt keep us up in the end.

good luck dazza wherever you are off.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Actually people he was going last January. But a problem occurred in the transfer.
    Was he?
  • Options
    why would we sell the only person who stood a chance of keeping us up, bit strange if you ask me.
  • Options
    not about us chosing to sell is it? you only have to look at the parker saga to know that much.
  • Options
    i just dont no what to think! is it good, is it bad, who knows!

Pro's: Haha unlucky whammies, you are the new chelski!
    Unlucky Curbs, you nob end
    Didnt want benty to join the other ex charlton players and management staff at upton Valley

Con's: Might go to spurs (but rather that than go whammers, at least they finished 5th 2 seasons running and he will get to play in europe)
    May not get as much dosh

I just dont know!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]why would we sell the only person who stood a chance of keeping us up, bit strange if you ask me.
    why would we sell the only person who stands a chance of taking us up, bit strange if you ask me. ;-)
  • Options
    Anyone else heard this?

London, England - After much speculation about a move to West Ham, striker Darren Bent put all rumors to rest on Thursday, agreeing to a new contract that will keep him with Charlton.

The Addicks are coming off a disappointing season in the Premiership where they finished with only eight wins. Since the club was relegated with the second worst record in the league, there were rumors that Bent would switch teams to stay in the top flight.

West Ham and Tottenham both showed serious interest the 23-year-old England international, but in the end Bent decided to stay put.
  • Options
    wheres that from ? Reuters

You hear so many different things and you cant believe nowt. One pal who's dad works with Mr Bent Snr at the post office told me that Darren is going to give us another season but then i hear from another good source that he almost went last January.

When does this bleeding window shut?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]wheres that from ? Reuters

You hear so many different things and you cant believe nowt. One pal who's dad works with Mr Bent Snr at the post office told me that Darren is going to give us another season but then i hear from another good source that he almost went last January.

When does this bleeding window shut?
    31st august so he could theoretically play for us for 3 games or so before he leaves!
  • Options
    by the way im just teasing about darren and january. just stoking it up. a millwall fan down the local told me that. so totally unfounded.

but I do love darren tho im still not sure he's as saintly as we are making him out to be. Tho i do have similar feelings of affection towards him as i do to chris powell.... wel i will have even more if he does the right thing and stays with us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazza had discussions with West Ham which left them believing it likely he would sign, so at the very least we can say that he has not ruled out the possibility of leaving.

Somebody on netaddicks reckons he had a medical but had a late call from Spurs confirming their interest.
  • Options
    that looks a PA Sport story, where did you see that Rodax ?

Its rubbish by the way, no chance that happening.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]but I do love darren tho im still not sure he's as saintly as we are making him out to be. Tho i do have similar feelings of affection towards him as i do to chris powell.... wel i will have even more if he does the right thing and stays with us.
    Careful - that might just push him over the edge to take the next offer! ;o)
  • Options
    Expect this to drag on and on and he rocks us by throwing a wobbly and getting his transfer to Spurs just hours before deadline day, thus throwing team preparations into disarray the day before the Palace away game!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]that looks a PA Sport story, where did you see that Rodax ?

Its rubbish by the way, no chance that happening.
    Get a poll going AFKA where he will be 11th August...

...i'll stick with Charlton
  • Options
    I realy don't think he will stay ..But you never know
    Maybe Mr Varney has promised db a massive bonus when we return to the prem next year
    I do hope he stays but i can't see it ,
  • Options
    It was here.But I think its pure rubbish.

http://sport.monstersandcritics.com/soccer/article_1317932.php/Bent_giving_up_Premiership_to_stay_in_Charlton
  • Options
    LINK: Milan want Shevchenko back
    Presumably Chelsea will end up with some money back (and/or avoid future payments) - so they may be willing to splash out on Dazza. I hope so because at the moment £12m from SPurs and £10m from Liverpool are the amounts being talked about.
  • Options

Has to be rubbish.

He signed a new and improved deal last summer, and I don't see how or why he'd get another one now we've been relegated (it'd be his 3rd contract in three years..).